GMIC - new plugin available now for Windows

124»

Comments

• FENgariFENgari Posts: 1,104

I forgot to add:

• Rendering - 3d random objects also doesn't seem to be working correctly for me

Selina

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 2,111
    edited May 2018
    Selina said:

..Finally:

• Collages - Instant collage pro - crashes
    • Collages - Negative collage color - crashes
    • Collages - Negative collage new - crashes
    • Collages - Negative collage old - crashes
    • Collages - PictureFX collage - crashes
    • Collages - Print films collage - crashes
    • Collages - Slide collage color - crashes

All work fine on my PC.  By that I mean there is a definite effect and it has parameters that I can alter.

I have no clue what a lot of these GMIC filters are supposed to do, however.  Some are very complicated, and you need to spend a LOT of time exploring to understand.  There are some online tutorials, but you have to look for them.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Thanks - I'm checking to see that I have the latest version from Phil's site...

edited May 2018
    Selina said:
    Can you post the B&W colorize line art result (before and after) is it greyscale or patches of desaturated colour?

It is not greyscale.  It is similar to what Diomede posted.

Based on playing with it a few minutes, it is not a filter I would likely use.  Considering that there must be at least 200 filters (with some filters having over 10 parameters), it is not a big loss. :)

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 9,591
    edited May 2018

I admit I don't know what most of these filters are supposed to do.  I tested them in two groups.  Here is group 1, which are the ones which Selina reported had no effect.  For these, I did a test render with a render pass for post effect.  In each, the post effect appears to be flat black, which I presume means no effect.  Here is the list again.

Lights & shadows - Drop shadw 3d not working correctly for me, nor
    Lights & shadows - Equalize shadow, nor
    Lights & shadows - Slice luminosity

And I am attaching an example of a test render and the post effect render pass.

Noir Props 3 sliced luminosity.jpg
    800 x 600 - 23K
    Noir Props 3 sliced luminosity_PostEffect.jpg
    800 x 600 - 8K
    Post edited by Diomede on

The second group was the collages which Selina reported caused crashes.  I did a similar test, with a test render for each and a post effect render pass.  In each of these cases, I was able to render without a crash, and the render pass included non-black information, which I presume means it did something.

• Collages - Instant collage pro - crashes
    • Collages - Negative collage color - crashes
    • Collages - Negative collage new - crashes
    • Collages - Negative collage old - crashes
    • Collages - PictureFX collage - crashes
    • Collages - Print films collage - crashes
    • Collages - Slide collage color - crashes

And again I am attaching one example of a test render and its render pass.  This image was done with the table setting.

Noir Props 7 picture fx collage.jpg
    800 x 600 - 64K
    Noir Props 7 picture fx collage_PostEffect.jpg
    800 x 600 - 79K

And this was done with the layers setting.

Noir Props 6b instant collage_PostEffect layers.jpg
    800 x 600 - 21K
    Noir Props 6b instant collage_PostEffect layers_PostEffect.jpg
    800 x 600 - 23K
    Selina said:

I forgot to add:

• Rendering - 3d random objects also doesn't seem to be working correctly for me

Did you turn up the opacity slider at the bottom?  Default is set to zero.

Diomede said:

And this was done with the layers setting.

I'm glad Selina brought this one up.  You results, and some of my results with the layers setting, turned out pretty cool.

Thanks Boys...

@UnifiedBrain - yes I moved all the sliders and tried them several times before concluding they either didn't do anything that I could see or if they continued to crash that they were throwing up exceptions

@Diomede - Maybe it's because I'm running them on Windows 10 Pro 64bit build 17134 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti ???

I believe I have the latest incarnation...

GMIC.dat - 13/10/2017
    GMIC.mcx - 13/10/2017
    GMIC.txt - 13/10/2017
    libcgmicstatic.dll - 27/09/2017
    GMIC Folder Contents - 31/08/2015-13/10/2017

Otherwise I'm stumped as to why it works for others and not for me cryingcryingcrying (tu ne m'aimes plus Pasunmot???)

Selina

OK,

Black & White - Colorize lineart auto-fill - is working correctly and will colour between black outlined shapes... If you use Toon! Pro to turn your render into a line drawing then you can see this filter do its magic - sorry for throwing this one up.... stand by for futher experiments !

AND,

Frames - Frame smooth - is working, but requires the width and height percentages to match the IAR (Image Aspect Ratio) otherwise you'll get a grey band to the right of the image which I mistook for the 'smooth' frame !

AND,

Frequencies - Fourier watermark -  is working and must be doing something as the saved file size increased dramatically by a factor of 87% ! Though how you read the 'watermark' I don't as yet know. But if you want to watermark your creations then this is the tool perhaps for you but be aware of increased file sizes...

SO,

Film emulation:

• Instant pro
    • Negative color
    • Slide color

Collages:

• Instant collage pro
    • Negative collage color
    • Negative collage new
    • Negative collage old
    • PictureFX collage
    • Print films collage
    • Slide collage

..all crash on my machine, regardless of the 'gmic_stdlib.gmic' version installed with the following generic message:

G'MIC has aborted with message:  *** Error in ./fx_emulate_film_instant_pro_preview/gui_split_preview/*repeat#22515/(...)/*if#28903/clut/*local#1412/*if#1415/ (file 'C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/Carrara8.5/Extensions/GMIC/gmic_stdlib.gmic', line #1435) *** Command '-o': gmic::fopen(): Failed Effect is not applied "

That concludes my experiments with G'MIC at this time - I'm exhausted !

Selina

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,018
    Film emulation requires writing privileges in the GMIC subdirectory. Could you check whether this directory has writing authorisation for your user. Default is no because it's a subdirectory of the program files directory and is restricted to the admin user.

Some plugins work and others not in the Film emulation category - I have access - but just to check I'm going to run Carrara as an administrator just to check.

Selina said:

Some plugins work and others not in the Film emulation category - I have access - but just to check I'm going to run Carrara as an administrator just to check.

Films are stored in an archive file and extracted if needed. Some where already extracted in the distribution and that's why they could work while other don't. 

Running Carrara as an Administrator has solved the crashes issues - still leaves:

Degradations - Chromatic abberations (only produces a black image)
    Lights & Shadows - Drop shadow 3d - cannot figure this one out with alpha channel, without, as an addition to another filter, ie Rendering - 3D image object
    Lights & Shadows - Equalize shadow - ditto
    Lights & Shadows - Slice luminosity - ditto

Any advice on these would be great !

Selina

• SadKitty_CarraraSadKitty_Carrara Posts: 21,978
    edited May 2018

I cannot see any difference with those either and get a black image too for the first

everything else seems to work except preview

I need to go to the render room everytime

or rather preview in the plugin, I can spot render in assemble room

Post edited by SadKitty_Carrara on

You can check the original effect with this link https://gmicol.greyc.fr/

Drop shadow 3d indeed requires an alpha channel that is not in place.

Equalize shadow doesn't do much (if anything) in the original.

I'll check for the chromatic aberation.and the slice luminosity.

Philemo - you're a star ! Thanks for your help heart

Coucou Philemot,

Je sais que vous êtes bien occupé avec toute une gamme de projets... mais svp, vous avez eu le temp pour verifier ces deux petites choses sans importance ?

Selina

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knock, knock Philemot,

I know that you are really busy with a whole host of projects... but if you please, did you find the time to have a look at those two little things?

Selina

I hadn't forgotten. It was just on my (too long) todo list.

Chromatic aberration won't work. It uses an operator not working in the current implementation.

Slice luminosity works in "mask" or "mask+background" preview mode . It won't work with "image" or "image+background" mode for the same reason as chromatic aberration.

I know I have to update to the latest version of GMIC which is supposed to solve some of those operator issue, but it's even further on my to list sad

Vaut mieux un homme occupé qu'un homme pré-occupé !

Merci Philemo wink