The Doctor Appreciation thread

Comments

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,581
    edited December 1969

"Day of the Doctor" will be hard pressed to match the quality and earnestness of "An Adventure in Space and Time". I really enjoyed it and will definitely purchase the DVD or Blu-Ray whenever it is released. As has been noted, Gatiss and crew really caught the look of the early to mid 60s. If any clothing, furniture or technical hardware was inaccurate, I didn't catch it. It all looked authentic to me. Oh, that console room set, sigh, that was a thing of beauty! While the odds are slim we'll ever see anything like that in the actual series, at least we did get to see a faithful recreation on HD for another production.

Oh, in case anyone missed them, the real William Russell (who played Ian in the real series) was the "by the book" doorman who demanded to see Newman's ID and the real Carol Ann Ford (Susan) played a mother in the street at dusk calling to her child to come inside because "...that show you like is on!"

Sincerely,

Bill

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

Well I loved Day, it was loads of fun! However if anyone recorded it on Sky or Freesat, and probably Freeview too, to watch at a later time, then they'll miss the final few minutes since the show ran late! I know because I recorded 2D and 3D versions and they were both truncated. Good thing it's repeated tomorrow. Luckily I saw it at the flix, where we got four extra treats that weren't on the telly as far as I can tell. Neato :-)

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I trust everybody noticed the clickable Dr. Whos on the Google page ;-)

• blutobluto Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

qazarly said:
    Celebrating Doctor Who 50th Anniversary

Amy and Clara

ok , come on you gotta tell where you got the morphs from pretty please
  • KnightStalker000KnightStalker000 Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

He probably got Amy from sharecg.com, based on the list of characters in the Doctor Who freebie list: Regeneration thread here. IIRC there might be a Clara morph on the site somewhere, but it's been a while since I've looked.

• qazartqazart Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

HER LIFE AS A COMPANION OVER, AMY GOES BACK TO MODELLING

Clara was on sharecg ?
    Sorry guys - I made the morphs and textures myself.

amy_model_small.jpg
    700 x 560 - 51K
    edited December 1969

Here is a different view.

Any resemblance to a Doctor Who character is strictly coincidental.

Not really happy with the Clara morph yet. Still a work in progress.

amy_model_2_small.jpg
    750 x 651 - 56K
  • nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

i could be wrong, but one of the faces at Verity's farewell party in Adventure looked a hell of a lot like Jean Marsh. did anyone else notice?

edited December 1969

qazarly said:
    Here is a different view.

Any resemblance to a Doctor Who character is strictly coincidental.

Not really happy with the Clara morph yet. Still a work in progress.

is there any chance I could get a copy of your clara morph and textures?

edited December 1969

nightkin said:
    i could be wrong, but one of the faces at Verity's farewell party in Adventure looked a hell of a lot like Jean Marsh. did anyone else notice?

Jean Marsh - ex wife of John Pertwee ?

bluto said:
    Here is a different view. Any resemblance to a Doctor Who character is strictly coincidental. Not really happy with the Clara morph yet. Still a work in progress.

is there any chance I could get a copy of your clara morph and textures?

Do you mean Amy (the redhead) ?

edited December 1969

no , I already have a pretty good amy pond morph for v4.
    I really love your clara morph though and wouldn't mind a copy of it and the texture that goes with it

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Jean Marsh also played Sara Kingdom, a companion, and played Richard the Lionheart's sister in 1st Doctor adventures, so I can see why she was included in the farewell party to Verity.

She also did in the fast few years some audio dramas with her plying Sara Kingdom.

Quick Comment on the the "Oficiality" of the various Doctor Who Audio Dramas:

Some of the audio dramas appear to be "official" based on the dialog in the "Night of the Doctor" mini-episode the BBC put online shortly before the "Day of the Doctor".

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

Just checked ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Adventure_in_Space_and_Time) and Jean did in fact have a small cameo along with several other former companions. She was indeed married to Jon for a while, but before Doctor Who began. Her last role in Doctor Who was as Morgana in Battlefield.

edited November 2013

bluto said:
    I really love your clara morph though and wouldn't mind a copy of it and the texture that goes with it

Bluto - I will tell you where I am on this.

On the one hand, I have acquired a skill where there is now a demand for my morphs. I feel that I should be contributing to the community that has given me so much over the years.

On the other hand there appears to be a number of legal issues.
    One minute WERTS has a load of characters up on sharecg. Next they are gone and he is never heard from again.
    I think one of the merchants on Rendo changed his morphs so they looked less like the character they were portraying.
    No one is saying what happened.

What I have promised is that I will upload a willow morph (see slayer thread) via sharecg.
    I will also now look at Doctor Who companions, so Clara will be included.

If anyone can let me know why celeb morphs are disappearing I would love to know.

Post edited by qazart on
    edited December 1969

I thought this thread would have been buzzing like a hornet's nest on fire after this last week of prime DW programming, but we've barely generated a whole page. I fear most of the old posters dispersed since the site overhaul. A shame, really.

Anyway, here's a bit of fluff (or maybe it's just dryer lint), a reworking of an old character of mine. He was meant to resemble the Peter Cushing version of the Doctor from the two theatrical Dalek movies, but several people over the years say it more closely resembles Bruce Forsythe. The original version was a PhilC Victorian figure based upon the Poser 4 nude male (the "Dork") with the head of Michael 2 worn like a rubber mask. For it to work, the neck geometry was awkwardly stretched.

Well, this evening, I finally got around and fitted the outfit to the Michael 2 P4 figure, a .CR2 with the head and hands of Michael 2 seamlessly joined with the body of the "Dork". I ported all the morphs from the head of Beth Capsces' "Boris" to the M2P4 mesh to make a more versatile and applied the face pose I "dialed" probably and entire decade ago. I remembered I purchased some high resolution textures from Mec4D, one of them the super detailed version of a free sample she once offered, one I applied to my first attempt of this non-canon" Doctor. Finally, I used procedural materials upon the garments, ones that would not be limited by the old school "planar" mapping.

Sincerely,

Bill

DW-Forsythe-J-1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 178K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited November 2013

...I think he looks pretty good. Kind of reminiscent of the Doctor from the Dell comics adaptation of the film as they made him look a bit older than in the film.

Have a copy in my collection in pretty decent shape.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

I am assuming that this thread is about the T.V. show Doctor Who and not about a Doctor of Philosophy or medical doctor. I am not familiar with Dr. Who but I like looking at the cool renders. Thanks for posting.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited December 1969

...you are correct.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited November 2013

Redfern said:
    Well, this evening, I finally got around and fitted the outfit to the Michael 2 P4 figure, a .CR2 with the head and hands of Michael 2 seamlessly joined with the body of the "Dork". I ported all the morphs from the head of Beth Capsces' "Boris" to the M2P4 mesh to make a more versatile and applied the face pose I "dialed" probably and entire decade ago. I remembered I purchased some high resolution textures from Mec4D, one of them the super detailed version of a free sample she once offered, one I applied to my first attempt of this non-canon" Doctor. Finally, I used procedural materials upon the garments, ones that would not be limited by the old school "planar" mapping.

Sincerely,

Bill

That looks like it could almost be Capaldi, given the right hair and brows. You wouldn't mind uploading it somewhere, would you?

"Gallifrey Falls, No More!"

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
    edited December 1969

qazarly said:
    bluto said:

Bluto - I will tell you where I am on this.

On the one hand, I have acquired a skill where there is now a demand for my morphs. I feel that I should be contributing to the community that has given me so much over the years.

On the other hand there appears to be a number of legal issues.
    One minute WERTS has a load of characters up on sharecg. Next they are gone and he is never heard from again.
    I think one of the merchants on Rendo changed his morphs so they looked less like the character they were portraying.
    No one is saying what happened.

What I have promised is that I will upload a willow morph (see slayer thread) via sharecg.
    I will also now look at Doctor Who companions, so Clara will be included.

If anyone can let me know why celeb morphs are disappearing I would love to know.

personally I believe that its one of those things , I do not believe werts did anything wrong
    .he never made a dime on any of his morphs
    I think that it was the work of a proactive legal team on the payroll of some self obsessed celebrity who thought that werts was making money off of his morphs .
    some stars are like that and believe that they should be paid even for if something digital just happens to look like them .
    I know that one vender over at rendo had to take down the bruce willis look alike figure they had for sale
    so I say do it but go carefully, put all the legal mumbo jumbo for the studio that own the rights into the read me and be smart enough to re name your morph to something that wont send off a red flag .
    you should be ok.
    I would personally love it if you were to invest some of your skills in producing morphs for the doctors them selves all 13 of them for m4

edited December 1969

He looks great Redfern! Marred only slightly for me by your reference to Bruce Forsyth. Now I can't get the thought of him as the Doctor out of my head *shudder*
    :-)

• adriantullbergadriantullberg Posts: 41
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Ooh! Thanks for sharing! The shots were so fast and frenetic that I assumed those flying elements of Skaro tech strafing Gallifrey were "Spider" Daleks. But that "behind the scenes" presentation revealed they were space/aircraft within which three Daleks sat, er, stood, ah, whatever.

Someone will need to model and share that. ;-)

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

"Some day...I will come back. Yes, some day..."

Having my more robust M2P4 hybrid figure, I muck about yesterday randomly dial spinning and then I remembered I had another PhilC outfit, one that with the right texturing, closely resembles the ensemble William Hartnell wore as the Doctor, the original. So I loaded and conformed it, turning the existing ramrod straight pants invisible and fitting the figure with some loose cut slacks that come with Poser. Then I experimented with material nodes, applying velvet shaders and 3D cellular patterns to resemble checkered patterns. This morning I futzed with hair, finally settled upon Kozuboru's vintage "Alice" prop, turning the bangs and strand zones invisible. Then I loaded my modified version of CastIronFlamingo's console room (one with rigged doors and view-screen shutters) and positioned a converted version of Richard Marklew's Blender modeled Hartnell era console.

Yeah, I need to refine the face. Right now, it's simply "aged" with a hawk shaped nose, but otherwise not favoring William Hartnell that much. But zoomed no closer than this, well, maybe it's passable.

Sincerely,

Bill

Hartnell-J-2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 96K
    edited December 1969

Aaah, MY Doctor!

Nice one :-)

edited December 1969

very nice bill . im guessing the aged and hook nose morphs are from brom ? I love this one , very well done

edited December 1969

Not Brom (which is made for Michael 3), but Boris for the even older Michael 2. This is actually the Michael 2 P4 .CR2 that came as a bonus with Michael 2. It's essentially the Michael 2 head atop a body proportioned and rigged to wear the clothes designed for the Poser 4 nude male (aka the "Dork"). I used Morph Manager to copy all the additional head morphs from "Boris" (which Beth Capsces also created) into the M2P4 figure. I used this figure instead of Brom for M3 because the outfit was made for the P4 male.

Sincerely,

Bill

• icehawk_629b49c68bicehawk_629b49c68b Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Ooh! Thanks for sharing! The shots were so fast and frenetic that I assumed those flying elements of Skaro tech strafing Gallifrey were "Spider" Daleks. But that "behind the scenes" presentation revealed they were space/aircraft within which three Daleks sat, er, stood, ah, whatever.

Someone will need to model and share that. ;-)

Sincerely,

Bill

Speaking of SpiderDaleks, Billyhomes superb Spider Dalek kitbashes quite nicely into a Dalek Heavy Claw Fighter.
    I borrowed the Dalek blaster from Zikeos NPD to give it a couple of cannons to complement the mid-mounted quad battery,

Should come in handy when Tardis skeet shooting season starts! :lol:

Dalek_SpiderFighter_003s.jpg
    800 x 600 - 386K
  • icehawk_629b49c68bicehawk_629b49c68b Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

...and a scout to find targets for the heavies :)

This ones a little closer to the ones from Day of the Doctor, I think

Dalek_SpiderFighter_005.jpg
    800 x 600 - 450K
    edited December 2013

This my first M4 morph

Very much a work in progress - can you tell WHO it is yet ?

Daz_who_small.jpg
    502 x 604 - 37K
    Post edited by qazart on