The Doctor Appreciation thread

Comments

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,583
    edited December 1969

nightkin said:
    Originally that's how it was - the show was about two schoolteachers kidnapped by a mysterious old man and his granddaughter. Ian and Barbara played a very important role in the stories.

I'm glad you stated that. If you hadn't, I would have. Some people may have an aneurism upon reading this, but originally, the Doctor was intended to serve mainly as the catalyst for the dangers Barbara, Ian and Susan experienced. He was, in effect, a Dr. Zachary Smith!

Did I just hear a few blood vessels burst?

Consider, as NightKin stated, he kidnapped the teachers. Then, upon "landing" in a prehistoric era, he is captured and when the others try to rescue him, they too are captured. Later during an escape attempt, one of the locales is injured. The teachers feel they are partially a fault, so they try to care for them. What does the Doctor do? Help? No, he seizes a rock with the plan to crush the caveman's skull!!! When they make their final escape, who came up with the plan to psyche out the tribe by setting on skulls on fire? The Doctor? No, it was Susan.

When the capsule next materializes and the quartet discovers an alien city, the Doctor is so adamant upon exploring it that he fakes damage to the TARDIS, claiming the city is the most likely place to find a replacement. What happens? they get captured...by Daleks. They escape at one point, but discover they have to return because the "fluid link" the Doctor claimed was damaged was seized by the Daleks. If the Doctor had not faked the condition at the start, the link would not have been lost.

Doesn't that sound like the kind of things Dr. Smith would have pulled during the course of "Lost in Space"? The major difference was that the Doctor didn't usually mince or whine, but he was just about as insufferably pig headed. In the beginning the Doctor was NOT a nice man. He certainly was not a "champion of justice". He looked out only for himself and his granddaughter, and even she suffered because of his selfishness.

I think I veered off course a bit. As NightKin pointed out, Barbara and Ian were meant to the the leads. They were meant to solve the issues. If the context was historical, Barbara's knowledge as a history teacher would come into play. If the situation leaned toward the scientific, Ian's skills would help "save the day". Susan's role was more or less the "voice" of the audience. She asked the questions the viewers would have considered. Yes, over the years the dynamics shifted. They "softened" the Doctor and made him a bit more responsible. By the time of "Dalek Invasion of Earth", the Doctor was no longer acting out of pure self interest, he developed a moral code. Only after the teacher returned to Earth in their time did the Doctor really take center stage.

So, to a certain extent, the show has returned to its earliest roots by focusing a bit more upon the companions since its revival in '05.

Sincerely,

Bill

• aldemps_65d152c25faldemps_65d152c25f Posts: 157
    edited December 1969

Just messing about.

Tried to create an organic TARDIS console room using Oskarsson's Giger Nest & Poison's Promethion Props (both from Renderosity Market).

13-06-08_Giger_TARDIS.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 549K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,611
    edited December 1969

...that is really interesting. Kind of like the Tardis meets Moya from Farscape

edited December 1969

FarScape is a good analogy. Possibly a closer "in universe" comparison would be the "Claws of Axos".

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

Just messing about.
    "The Claws of Axos"

13-06-09_Claws_of_Axos.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 589K
  • blutobluto Posts: 829
    edited December 1969

aldemps said:
    Just messing about.

Tried to create an organic TARDIS console room using Oskarsson's Giger Nest & Poison's Promethion Props (both from Renderosity Market).

somehow I feel that the tendrals inside the time rotor shaft should be translucent blue and glowing

edited December 1969

bluto said:
    aldemps said:
    Just messing about.

somehow I feel that the tendrals inside the time rotor shaft should be translucent blue and glowing

How about this?

13-06-09_Giger_Tardis.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 530K
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

Wow, Aldemps: All you need now is a Lovecraftian companion for the Master, there. Somebody from Innsmouth, maybe?

edited December 1969

ald, that's the ticket . I really like the halo-graphic interface as well

edited December 1969

Once again, three cheers for Richard Marklew!!!

To go with his EarthShock Cyberman helmet, the "Celestial Toymaker" has released the distinctive yoke styled "chest unit".

Here's the Gallifrey Base thread showcasing the model...

http://gallifreybase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22938&page=2

(You need to be a member to view it)

...and here's the link to the page where the .OBJ format mesh is stored...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BznKZxoP1i3jR0ZReDJwWkhyV3M/edit

Keep in mind Richard modeled every detail, right down to the individual "nubs" that make up the various "gratings" on the prop, so the polygon count is over 150 KB, roughly two DAZ figures. Of course, that means you can zoom in very close without any loss of detail.

I'm including a simple render to demonstrate how it looks with the high res helmet when "parented" to a Poser rigged figure, in this case, Anthony Appleyard's free spacesuit figure.

Sincerely,

Bill

Cyberman-ES-J-2.jpg
    400 x 800 - 65K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for pointing out the chest unit.
    Updated my Cyber Hybrids.

13-06-16_Cyber_Invasion.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 425K
  • TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

what body is best to use with the helmet and chest piece?

Dalek_Majong.jpg
    1258 x 870 - 314K
    edited December 1969

I used Mike 3 but any figure could be used - just scale props to suit.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited June 2013

As if you need to ask...

The Daz Cow! What else? (even if I am mixing and matching the helmet and chestplate from different ares!)

cybercow.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 925K
    Post edited by Sockratease on
  • TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

As if you need to ask...

The Daz Cow! What else? (even if I am mixing and matching the helmet and chestplate from different ares!)

Looks like a monty python cartoon. ;)

edited December 1969

Something a bit more scenic with Marklew's Cyberman props. Inspired by but not an exact recreation of the "thawing" scenes from "EarthShock". Chamber is a PoserWorld prop; the modified "incubator"...I have no idea.

Sincerely,

Bill

Cyberman-ES-Cryo-J-1.jpg
    1387 x 822 - 202K
    edited December 1969

cheese o' peas bill !

I really really like this one !!!

edited December 1969

aldemps said:

wow , I am impressed , what body are you using . that one is very cool

edited December 1969

my go at playing with the new cyber goodies

surprise_attack.jpg
    819 x 494 - 46K
    edited December 1969

bluto said:
    aldemps said:

wow , I am impressed , what body are you using . that one is very cool

It's Mike 3 with some of the Marauder armour, the harness from Lone Wolf set, gloves from Major Cache & gun from MOS Invasion.
    (all available from DAZ).
    I used a free leather proceedural texture (from RDNA) on the bare skin & tried to recolour it to give a metalic look.

I was aiming to create a sort of hybrid cyberman - somewhere between classic series & the new cybusman type.

13-06-17_CyberMike.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 631K
  • nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

how do you darken the grill on the chest unit? when i uploaded the obj file to DS it was one solid colour with no mats.

edited December 1969

As I stated on the previous page, you'll need to assign that section of geometry its own material zone. Keep in mind Marklew modeled that element as an "envelope" of polygons rather than a single one-sided layer, so you'll need to select all of them.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited June 2013

i tried in carrara, but there are just too many polys, and too small to get at. what program did you use, and how did you select all the polys? it might be easier and quicker to start from scratch and make my own!

i also tried making the surrounding panel translucent by selecting the polys and giving them their own mat - but that failed because there are hidden polys between the front and the "mechanical" parts inside the chest.

Post edited by nightkin on
    edited December 1969

Sorry I haven't responded until now. At the office, the company firewall blocks DAZ.

I used UV Mapper Pro. I selected the part by using the "geometry" selection. If a model is composed of two or more sub parts, it's an easy way to grabs a "chunk" of something. Fortunately, the "plate" in the chest formed it own polyhedron that could be isolated. Then I assigned it to a new material zone I named "Plastic_Clear" (a personal choice, nothing more). If you're referring to the "grill" region in the chest, I used the same technique. Same goes for the grill elements in the back.

Sincerely,

Bill

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,500
    edited December 1969

I wish there was a 3d version of tennant, smith, Amy, Rory, Riversong, Clara....

I think Clara had an exceptionally difficult role to play. On one hand, her memory was lacking in each 'life' so perhaps that could make her a bit "bland" at first. The soufle girl had her vast intelligence, the governess was also very smart, and another time she had her brain temporarily merged with a computer system and became brilliant. The other times, she wasn't. I don't know why the disparity in her displayed intelligence level, but i really liked the brilliant clara over the knows-nothing-bland Clara.

The last episode was fantastic. I wish we could have seen more of her "brilliance" though.

I will miss Matt alot. He was the first doctor I saw... after that I watched 9 (and loved him too) and 10 (of course I loved him too) and now i'm watching whatever classic eps are to be found, which sadly, isn't that much. I'm definitely hooked.

But it bugs me there is no 3D likeness!!!

if anyone can make 9, 10, 11, and any of their companions (morphs and/or textures) I will make hair to match!!!

I already made 11's hair. ^^

edited December 1969

is the three tonne rumour true? Ian Levine himself has stated that he has seen the proof - three tonnes of film cans that contain missing Doctor Who episodes have been rescued. The rumour has been going round for a while, and at first it was said to be a hoax - but now it looks like being true. is everyone else as excited as I am?

Every so often, even the die hard fans will say "it's been too long - there can't be any more footage to be found." - and then something turns up.

As many of you will know, Ian Levine is the enthusiast who originally saved old episodes (such as The Daleks) from being incinerated by the BBC

you can read his tweets - https://twitter.com/IanLevine

edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Sorry I haven't responded until now. At the office, the company firewall blocks DAZ.

I used UV Mapper Pro. I selected the part by using the "geometry" selection. If a model is composed of two or more sub parts, it's an easy way to grabs a "chunk" of something. Fortunately, the "plate" in the chest formed it own polyhedron that could be isolated. Then I assigned it to a new material zone I named "Plastic_Clear" (a personal choice, nothing more). If you're referring to the "grill" region in the chest, I used the same technique. Same goes for the grill elements in the back.

Sincerely,

Bill

i've not tried uvmapper yet - I'll give it a go. I have a feeling Carrara might be capable of doing a similar job, but i've not read that section of the manual yet.

meanwhile, my own chest section is coming along nicely. it is not meant to be canon - merely inspired by the Earthshock version, but with elements of the RT version.

my_cyberchest.jpg
    640 x 480 - 13K
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the links, KnightStalker. Added the new ones to the Freebie Thread.

edited December 1969

A slight tweaking of the Master as portrayed by Peter Pratt in "The Deadly Assassin".

I linked another procedural node into the material I concocted for his tattered and rotting shroud. I tried the "weave", but being s 2D procedural it stretched and distorted too much, but the "cellular" with the jitter and turbulence dials set to maximum created a similar effect without the stretching as it's a 3D procedural node.

I also remembered that neither the Pratt nor the Beevers make-up designs had skull-like nasal passages, so I tried to correct that from my earlier attempts. (Oddly enough, Michael 3's head morph set did not come with a zombie dial as did Victoria 3. However, the Freak morphs did. So I copied that setting to M3. Of course, the zombie morph has the skull-like hollow nose, so I used other dials to partially fill it.

Sincerely,

Bill

Pratt-Master-J-3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 86K