Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,130
    edited December 1969

@Pam - here's the real thing. Photographed after midnight when I awoke from the thunderclaps and since I was awake anyway, I could as well move the gear out on the balcony. This is the best of 18 shots.

Lightning.jpg
    428 x 1000 - 46K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Oh wow. TY Horo, good shot. Not something I have ever tried, taking photo's during a storm, but I do have a habit of Storm watching.

Storms somehow seem more "immediate" now we live up amongst the mountains.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Plod plod plodding along with experiments and also, a rather rambling talk about Rendering Efficiency
    Bryce "Nuts And Bolts" - Rendering Efficiency - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Blue_plasticBryce_v_octane21.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 113K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited March 2013

Plod plod plodding along with experiments ...

The Bryce one has much better reflections and is sharper over all.
    The Octane one has a much better secular highlight and better colour cast within the shadow.
    Edit: Also just noticed the slight SSS on it's legs... subtle and looks good.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited March 2013

It is really very difficult to tell which one is better. The material properties/possibilities in Octane are alien to the ones in Bryce. And I think here the material settings make the difference. Is a the bit of possible SSS really natural for a machine like that? What this comparison mainly shows is how good David became with mastering Octane.

Post edited by Horo on
  • IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

There was some discussion earlier about text in Bryce. I did a tutorial long time ago with using the Terrain Editor. Sorry, can't remember whose it was. Any way, using the TE, one can simply draw the letters, as scribbly or elaborately as one can with a mouse, or create a brush-note in the brush menu of the TE some years, and C for copyright are listed as ideas.

Also, one can import a image as a mask, the image being test, or an image of text say as an old Victorian initial and load it in the Terrain Editor. So it's "pure" Bryce then, LOL! You can set the material to not cast a shadow, as I did with the Alphabet Soup below. You can make a series of letters, such as I did from one terrain, and a different series from another.

Bowl was woefully created in Hexagon by me one of my few attempts. Spoon sadly I cannot remember whose that was. Peasncarrots and soup are mine. Gingham by Vyktohria. Not a great render, but something to illustrate using the Terrain Editor for text.

alphabetsoup.jpg
    754 x 550 - 57K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited March 2013

Nice1, Ice. As it so happens, I'm doing a coffee work at the moment with a simlar-like bubbly finish to the coffee itself (that is the top frothy bit), but I'm having a problem. I have a mat for the coffee (brown, cream etc.,), however, when I create a bump map for this mat (that is, just remove the colour from the coffee mat), and then do the necessaries to combine both the original, coloured mat and bump, the final rendered coffee froth appears semi-transparent (btw, transparency is fully off). Any ideas as to what is going wrong - all help appreciated.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Here's another way to use the Terrain Editor to make Text. Load a black and white version of the text image. Then of course, if the Text Image is interesting it can become part of a terrain again. So 1st is the same terrain duplicated and textured and stretched to make "celtic arches". The Middle one is the Basic Initial after loading, lowering and smoothing. The 3rd one shows the "back" of the letter. It reminds me of real life wax work, where the side that is on the slab is so slick and smooth, and the worked surface a bit blobby. I suppose one could get the basic form, and then reimport the image as a material. Lots of things to experiment with!

CelticMTEviw.jpg
    868 x 722 - 357K
    CelticMTE.jpg
    800 x 370 - 38K
    edited December 1969

I used to entertain my friends by doing them images with their names written in terrains, so they had a place in the landscape.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Nice1, Ice. As it so happens, I'm doing a coffee work at the moment with a simlar-like bubbly finish to the coffee itself (that is the top frothy bit), but I'm having a problem. I have a mat for the coffee (brown, cream etc.,), however, when I create a bump map for this mat (that is, just remove the colour from the coffee mat), and then do the necessaries to combine both the original, coloured mat and bump, the final rendered coffee froth appears semi-transparent (btw, transparency is fully off). Any ideas as to what is going wrong - all help appreciated.

Jay

could you post a screenshot of your Materials Lab, and part of the rendered image so we can see what you're seeing?
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:

Jay

@Jamahoney

Hi Jay,
    I'm not exactly sure how you are doing this. I'd probably do it either of 2 ways.
    1. I'd make my brown coffee from a 2d disk, like my soup. Then I'd make/duplicate a second 2d with the froth/foam. That way I'd be able to control the bumpiness of either.
    or
    2. I'd make the froth/foam as a terrain object to fit over the coffee. That way I could maybe gets some "bubbles" trapped in the foam. I'd use the cup rim as a template base by eye, and stretch the terrain into position.

I'll play around with thse ideas, see what you have done, and maybe some other posters will suggest some better approaches.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I used to entertain my friends by doing them images with their names written in terrains, so they had a place in the landscape.

That is a great idea to use the name as the terrain with grass etc. It's very magical to see renders and I can see how that would really add to their charm.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited March 2013

I'm not sure if I posted this one in the Part 3 of Bryce Renders or not, but if I did, just ignore me.

I'm not sure if I'm thoroughly satisfied with it, but it's OK for a first try doing text. :coolsmirk:

Be sure to click to unsquish, or check it out here  --> http://3dpixelzone.com/WIP/bryce/text.htm

MissB.png
    800 x 600 - 308K
    Post edited by Miss B on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Another skin test.

V4SkinCLose.jpg
    854 x 449 - 183K
    edited March 2013

@Jamahoney

here is a render I did using both of my suggestions: 1 surface as a 2d circle. Used a Ripple water from Bryce waters, changed the color from aqua to a reddish brown and lowered the transparency to about 45-fiddled with it. I duplicated that with a second one made more transparent. Then I used a terrain and used New in the Terrain Editor and just did some "bubbles" with the brush, added some "mounds" then erased into a circular shape and erased a patch in the middle. Added base noise a couple of times. Set the clipping pretty high. I used a David Brinnen material on that and placed in a tad under the second 2d layer and just on the 1st 2d layer. Streched the terrain of foam around in the cup. Hope that gives you some help.

CuppaC.jpg
    600 x 710 - 41K
    Post edited by IceScribe on
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64

not to detract by posting under your beautifully rendered lassie. Just gorgeous. I like the contrast of real eyebrows on the sheen of the complexion.

edited December 1969

@IceScribe - it's good to see that some remember that the TE is a great tool for modelling.

@Dave - skin looks really good. This is an excellent render otherwise, too.

edited June 2013

Ice...many thanks for replying. I may have expressed my problem incorrectly, however, I’m not having a problem with applying bumpiness etc.,, but really with the combination of the bump and the original coloured mat – see below. Btw...love your coffee result...looks a bit like my own, but I think mine has more a mocha look to it.

Thanks also, Sean...you can see the result (below) – this time with a wood mat. After taking a copy of the original coloured wood mat, and saving it as a grayscale bump map, when I combine the two it turns out semi-transparent. The bumpiness is there in the final rendered image, but it isn’t opaque; rather as you see it. I wonder would I have settings like World Space etc., thingies to do?

Jay

WOOD.jpg
    635 x 1284 - 261K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

You have a dot in the first transparency slot.

edited December 1969

Aha...many thanks, Chohole...that solved it in an instant. I never noticed it before, but the dot seems to automatically load on opening the mat setup.

Cheers again.

• TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

@Dave that skin is very nice...

Here's the crepuscular light effect again, with some postwork...

chess13-13dev.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 591K
    edited December 1969

@TLBKlaus - looking good.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Nice photo, though actually seeing that would cause me to find a nice hole to hide in.

@David: Really good tutorial. As to the images, I'd need to find a shoe first.

@Ice: The objects in your bowl of soup image look really good, but the bowl and spoon don't really look like they are sitting on the surface. Any chance of seeing a tutorial about doing those letters in the TE? They're mighty nice. The coffee cup and liquid looks really good, though would the surface bubbles have such an obvious sheen? Now if that was hot chocolate I wouldn't care. :-)

@Miss B: Appears you're going to take a dive. Nice swim suit.

@Dave: Lovely render. That image leaves the viewer seeing what's on her mind.

@TLBKlaus: Really like that image. Light rays are really a nice touch.

And here is my attempt at David's two part woven cube. I know the ground for the cube with the green material looks bland, but adding any material to the infinite plane pushed the render time out the roof.

Woven_Cubet_Green_757_x_758_6.png
    757 x 757 - 761K
    Woven_Cubet_Green_757_x_758_5.png
    757 x 757 - 722K
    Woven_Cubet_Green_757_x_758_4.png
    757 x 757 - 426K
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - those came out very well. The last one is quite special, a bit like solver and silk.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Some beautiful work here. What surprises me the most is that the 'human' renders have such fantastic skin tones. I know Bryce has a good render engine, I found that out during the recent newbie contest, but I never thought it would do justice to skin. How wrong I was!

This is a render using David's Waterfall Landscape set, which I won in the aforementioned contest. I'm still new to this so be gentle!

Respect,
    Barry.

2ForumSized.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
  • MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited March 2013

Here's another "still life" where I'm playing with IBL and reflections (in this case blurred). For this particular project, I chose a watch and gave it a golden anisotropic material.

256 RPP, True Ambience (TA Scattering Correction), Blurry Reflections, Soft Shadows and Reflection Correction. Lit with an HDRI, a True Ambience optimized Radial Light and the Bryce Sun. Took almost 3 hours to render @ 1280x800

EDIT: Re-rendered, because there was a problem in the model that I had to correct. The problem was causing a weird reflection on the ground

watch.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 217K
    Post edited by MrSilus on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,003
    edited December 1969

Beautiful work by everyone

Guss-lovely work with the cubes. I agree with Horo the last one is awesome.

Barry- for a newbie, the waterfall is cool.

Messing around with materials on terrains/objects and lighting- I used the presets tweaking a bit. I liked this result and added the saucer, from ShareCG which I think blended in well with the scene. Unfortunately I don’t know whom to give the credit too as I downloaded and imported this object to my library a while ago.

alien1.jpg
    720 x 540 - 338K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you.

@Barry: That's is a nice looking image. I had to see the large version to realize the dragon was holding that cross. Is the foreground mountain(?) collapsing or is that a water look? Nice affects whichever.

@Mr Silus: Nice work with the watch.

@mermaid: Thanks. The results of that last one was a bit of a surprise. Your image has a very surreal look to it. The light pattern under the saucer is a real nice touch. I keep expecting to see something real strange crawl out of the water.

I showed my two part woven cubes to some others on another site and again they thought they'd make great ear rings. Only someone thought turquoise and silver would look better. So I cobbled two more together with the best turquoise looking material I had and a couple of different silvers. You'll notice one has more orange in the lighting, which I adjusted down towards white in the other.

Woven_Cubet_Green_757_x_758_8.png
    757 x 757 - 619K
    Woven_Cubet_Green_757_x_758_7.png
    757 x 757 - 648K
    edited December 1969

@BlumBlumShub - welcome to this thread. Very nice use of David’s Waterfall Landscape, the dragon nicely supplements the colours.

@David - thank you for putting them up and hosting on your account.

There are transcripts of the videos on my website (see sig). Go to Bryce Documents > Videos > Horo

@MrSilus - excellent model, excellently presented here.

@mermaid010 - interesting scene. I miss the shadows.

@GussNemo - the second one with the chromium look looks very clean and cold.

This discussion has been closed.