Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited March 2013

OK, time to help break in this new thread!! :D

Here are an old one first, an entry for the TrekBBS Art forum's monthly contest from
    way back in 2005... the theme was "Down and Dirty" and this was a battered freighter,
    made entirely in Bryce -- my first halfway-successful texturing effort.

BTW, if you like Trek art you should check out the TrekBBS Art Forum at http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
    ... some unbelievable modelling talent on display there.

Then two cube-based abstracts instead of the sphere-based ones we usually use...
    these are part of a series I call "Urbanity" because they remind me of stylized cityscapes.

And then two more with Aikobots...

I'm trying to use David's crepuscular light effect [nice tut!] on a city, rendering as we
    speak though it's straining my old machine. It'll be a while yet on that lol...

...and reading your posts makes me realize how much I still have to learn about this
    program... I'm looking forward to it!

nightside_by_tlbklaus-d5njeow.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 165K
    hypersleep_by_tlbklaus-d5ts36i.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 125K
    urbanity_5_by_tlbklaus-d5kb1aa.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 402K
    urbanity_by_tlbklaus-d4dzbf4.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 189K
    TrekBBS_November_contest_entry_by_TLBKlaus.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 566K
    Post edited by TLBKlaus on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited March 2013

@TLBKlaus - cool renders. The last one is my favorite of the five.

I debut with another experiment with the magic mirror. The Amadollo is from the Stanford 3D Scanning Repository: http://graphics.stanford.edu/data/3Dscanrep/. The HDRI is the only real light source which lights the Amadillo from the back with a white/blueish light. The sun is reflected in the mirror, which has an orange filter attached in front of it, and lights the front of the Amadillo. The mirror was tilted to have the sun shine a bit from below up. It is just left out of the camera view. Renders in 20 minutes.

MMOAmadillo.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 279K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

I debut with another experiment with the magic mirror. The Amadollo is from the Stanford 3D Scanning Repository: http://graphics.stanford.edu/data/3Dscanrep/. The HDRI is the only real light source which lights the Amadillo from the back with a white/blueish light. The sun is reflected in the mirror, which has an orange filter attached in front of it, and lights the front of the Amadillo. The mirror was tilted to have the sun shine a bit from below up. It is just left out of the camera view. Renders in 20 minutes.

Good render time for TA and I admit to being intrigued by the magic mirror. I've not done many experiments with mirrors in Bryce - other than to determine fairly early on that they don't work as expected with the light. But with TA you've found a way to make them work. Which is interesting indeed. In my attempts at caustic reflections, over powered light sources were needed to create the effect, so I'm doubly interested if this method you are testing can be adapted to give better caustic response...

Great renders TLBKlaus, just wish they were in a gallery and not destined to sink deep into the morass of forum threads.

Here I've tried to simulate light gathering plastic. Bryce on the left, Octane on the right. Model made in Wings3D.

After that, a lattice made in Bryce and exported to Octane for final rendering.

Waxy1.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 125K
    Bryce_v_octane18.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 119K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Mr Silus: While I like the overall composition, are you planning to increase the lighting over the foreground hand and the poker chips? Nice looking so far.

@TLBKlaus: Nice work.

@Dave: Why did the second image take longer to render?

@David: I personally like the Bryce rendered head. The skin coloring gives me the impression the guy just has his eyes closed. The skin coloring in the right image gives me the impression his eyes are closed because he's lying on a slab in the morgue. Like the look of the two green cubes, the right one having more of a plastic look. And how did you create the crawling crud in the last image? I can't figure out if it's grown or grew on something? ;-)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

3 2713 B

3_2713_B.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 291K
    edited December 1969

Looks more like 3 2712 C to me.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: I personally like the Bryce rendered head. The skin coloring gives me the impression the guy just has his eyes closed. The skin coloring in the right image gives me the impression his eyes are closed because he's lying on a slab in the morgue. Like the look of the two green cubes, the right one having more of a plastic look. And how did you create the crawling crud in the last image? I can't figure out if it's grown or grew on something? ;-)

Yeah the "mortuary slab" effect is always a risk when doing figures. It shows that the simulation is getting very close to realistic. You know, "the uncanny valley"?

The crawling crud - nicely put - was just drawn with a small brush in the Terrain Editor. Just a doodle. If Bryce worked better with graphics tablets I'd probably doodle more. But it's a bit of a handful and there's not really desk space for even a small one. I need to tidy my office desk... but since I've know that for the last five years potentially - it probably won't happen soon.

edited December 1969

@David - both green plastics look good to me. The octane one is mostly more transparent. The lattice looks quite organic. Very nice.

• MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited March 2013

@David Thanks. I've never had that hand in any poker game I've played, but I don't play that often either. And I bet the face on Mr 4 aces was priceless indeed :)

Nice experiments with skin. It's something I've never attempted with Bryce. First because I didn't know how and second because my favorite types of images are landscapes and still life and I usually don't include characters in those.

As for the plastic renders, Octane one is perfect but in this particular case the Bryce one is also very good. The lattice one looks very organic as Horo already mentioned.

@Horo Thanks. It's work in progress and I'll get back to it when I have time! But what did you mean by "gals" ?

Those mirror experiments are interesting. I've used mirror materials., but never with the intention of spreading light

@Dave Cool experiments!

@GussNemo Thanks and yes, some things will have to change in that WIP, the exception being the composition.

@TLBKlaus Very nice! I especially like the third one. It's very cool.

@bigh is the character tap dancing ?

Post edited by MrSilus on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: Why did the second image take longer to render?

That's the cost of using transparency.
    The material of the knot was set to about 30 transparent and the transparency was made red.
    This plus it's rendered with TA and uses IBL drastically increase render times.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I need to tidy my office desk... but since I've know that for the last five years potentially - it probably won't happen soon.
    Cluttered_DeskSignOf_GeniusO.jpg
    369 x 294 - 28K
    edited December 1969

Here's the result of my work with @David's crepuscular light tut... I ended up having better results just
    rendering it as one pic rather than combining two layers as you did.

creptest1dev.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 363K
    edited December 1969

Totally unrelated to anything going on at the moment, it's good to just kick stuff together sometimes.
    In this one I was particularly pleased with how the jet flame came out.

RocketJet.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 392K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

Good render time for TA and I admit to being intrigued by the magic mirror. I've not done many experiments with mirrors in Bryce - other than to determine fairly early on that they don't work as expected with the light. But with TA you've found a way to make them work. Which is interesting indeed. In my attempts at caustic reflections, over powered light sources were needed to create the effect, so I'm doubly interested if this method you are testing can be adapted to give better caustic response...

Great renders TLBKlaus, just wish they were in a gallery and not destined to sink deep into the morass of forum threads.

Here I've tried to simulate light gathering plastic. Bryce on the left, Octane on the right. Model made in Wings3D.

just for you Dude -

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29824

edited March 2013

bigh said:
    Horo said:

just for you Dude -

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29824

Except I don't know how to use DAZ Studio...

Here, Bryce terrain exported from Bryce, Stanford Bunny, exported from Bryce, Horo's HDRI converted to spherical map in Bryce and exported. Text from Wings3D. Rendered in Octane in 15 minutes. Seasonal - if not topical.

Edit. Bryce version is still in the pipeline...

Easter_Bunny1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 581K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

OOh yummy, choccy bunny.

edited March 2013

Pam, I think in my case a cluttered desk is just an expression of my chaotic nature.

TLBKlaus, worked really well, how bad was the render time?

TheSavage64, the flame is good, but shouldn't it be more like a smoking sparkler? And that DOF gives it a vintage special effect look! Where are the strings?

Edit - and in Bryce...

Chocolate_bunny1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 163K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited March 2013

Pam, I think in my case a cluttered desk is just an expression of my chaotic nature.

No I don't believe that. I have even thought about getting a smaller desk to save collecting so much clutter, but then where would I put all the things that end up on my desk. This is after it had been tidied up a bit. (and before the new PC arrived)

And it's still a nice choccy bunny.

neat_and_tidy,_of_course.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 362K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited March 2013

Z Spore looking for work

Z_Spore_looking_for_work.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 193K
    Post edited by bigh on
    edited December 1969

TheSavage64, the flame is good, but shouldn't it be more like a smoking sparkler? And that DOF gives it a vintage special effect look! Where are the strings?

With modern technology we can airbrush the strings out. :-)

More relevant:
    After using Wings for only 3 days, I managed to use the UV mapper David.
    I've started with a simple(ish) shape to map on to, but the results are encouraging and I really had no problems with any of it so if I can get it to work in a such a short time, I'm sure you'll have no problems.

CubeUVTest.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 632K
    edited March 2013

@David It was a few hours, I'm not exactly certain as I tend to leave the long ones running overnight...It took a couple of hours to get to the antialiasing stage, I left it going during that. My machine is an old Core Duo w/a couple of gigs of RAM, so I do a lot whilst at work or asleep... I've had to render some big object-intensive scenes in parts, adding some figures and rendering only part of the pic to paste into a wider one that's simpler. Those floating city pics are about all my machine can hadle lol... I have another, even older machine as well so I can still watch media and do things online with the other one tied up. :D

Post edited by TLBKlaus on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited March 2013

smaller desk

Yeah,, the 'smaller desk' issue. Had a small desk (top-area equaled 3 feet x 4 feet) for ages, and it suited just fine. But then, given a free 'big desk' (4 feet x 5 feet) from an old school friend, the freedom it allowed in, say, terms of space was truly amazing (more space for clutter : ).

Definitely recommend more desk space - I mean, if you're going to spend time at the computer, then it's very usefull for spapce for all the additional notes, papers, cups-of-coffee...etc., that one experience's locally and online. Too many times have seen my nephews and nieces sitting [too close] to the screen - defintely bad for their eyesite, and other related, optical issues.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Well I did some more on the Skull Cove image, addded a bryce terrain the the island redid the lightning and then I postworked it a little.

Now I need to see if I can manage to get a ship coming into the Cove, without crashing Bryce.

Skull_Cove_comp_postwork.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 517K
    edited December 1969

With modern technology we can airbrush the strings out. :-)

More relevant:
    After using Wings for only 3 days, I managed to use the UV mapper David.
    I've started with a simple(ish) shape to map on to, but the results are encouraging and I really had no problems with any of it so if I can get it to work in a such a short time, I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Yeah... if I can concentrate on one thing for five minutes, I easily distract myself... Oh... look at that!

Oh following this approach, Bryce 10 minute scene - Lighting Skin Experiment 1 - by David Brinnen

Using the free model from here http://www.3dscanstore.com/

Lighting_skin2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 131K
    edited March 2013

MrSilus said:
    @Horo Thanks. It's work in progress and I'll get back to it when I have time! But what did you mean by "gals" ?

Sorry, my original message has some typos.

@MrSilus - nice setup. You already know about the noise. The gals and the liquid in it diesn't convince me. But as you say, it's a WIP.

This should read gels (instead of gals) and doesn't (instead of diesen't).

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

@Dave - yup, flame looks quite good.

@David - easter bunny looks quite chocolate-esque - in Octane and Bryce. Dace also looks good.

@Pam - lightning looks much better here.

edited December 1969

Yeah... if I can concentrate on one thing for five minutes, I easily distract myself... Oh... look at that!

Yes, I know all about that... I still have a temple to finish. :-)

I went back to the Wings cube and decided to try a bump map to add.
    It hasn't turned out as planned though. I think it has something to with the mapping mode as you can see, the bump is correct along the top but inverts down the side. Also, should the bump map be 16 bit? Will making it 16 bit increase the amount of bump without having to take it beyond 100 (you can see in the right hand block where the bump is set to 999 that something rough looking is happening).

I can also report (though I'm not going to fully render it because it really didn't look good enough to post) that displacement also works with this bump map on this cube.

CubeBumpTest.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 497K
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Seasonal - if not topical.

Not nearly enough snow for an Easter scene. And what is that strange lighting effect with bright areas and darker areas?

I leapt back up out of my chair at work today because I spotted a dark patch just as I sat down. I thought it was some liquid or something but it was actually just a shadow. The sun had momentarily broken through the clouds. Quite the novelty as there had been a snow flurry half an hour before. The DHL driver informed me that he's allowed to wear shorts next week, since it's "British Summer Time". I might have to insist.

An untidy desk may be a sign of genius, but I can assure all that it isn't an exclusive indicator. Four days off to do some spring cleaning. I sense some Brycing coming on...

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@TLBKlaus: I like the composition of that image, a real I Robot look.

@Pam: You still have plenty of room on that desk. Look at all those little places.:-) Could you place the tower on the right on the floor to give you more room? And why is it there never seems to be enough room on a desk? I agree with Horo, lightning looks lots better. A lot more like what'd be seen during these type storms. Good luck getting the ship to dock.

@Dave: That rocket image is really good. The DOF for the distance mountains and city is really nice, as is the flame and the impression of the ground below the rocket is passing by. Really nice looking cubes you got from Wings.

@David: I called your doodle crud because if reminded me of the movie The Blob. It also reminded me of the times I get cheese out of the refrigerator only to see its gone over to the green side. Thanks for the info on how you made it. Chocolate bunny looks real good, except it still has both ears. And perhaps it's my eyes, but the bunny(s) looks slightly out of focus. Still, both look real nice.

@bigH: I think I've had a few dreams like your 3 2713 B image. Love Z Spore looking for work. Just wondering how it will get its tools out of such narrow drawers. That's a real cute image.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @TLBKlaus: I like the composition of that image, a real I Robot look.

@Pam: You still have plenty of room on that desk. Look at all those little places.:-) Could you place the tower on the right on the floor to give you more room? And why is it there never seems to be enough room on a desk? I agree with Horo, lightning looks lots better. A lot more like what'd be seen during these type storms. Good luck getting the ship to dock.

@Dave: That rocket image is really good. The DOF for the distance mountains and city is really nice, as is the flame and the impression of the ground below the rocket is passing by. Really nice looking cubes you got from Wings.

@David: I called your doodle crud because if reminded me of the movie The Blob. It also reminded me of the times I get cheese out of the refrigerator only to see its gone over to the green side. Thanks for the info on how you made it. Chocolate bunny looks real good, except it still has both ears. And perhaps it's my eyes, but the bunny(s) looks slightly out of focus. Still, both look real nice.

@bigH: I think I've had a few dreams like your 3 2713 B image. Love Z Spore looking for work. Just wondering how it will get its tools out of such narrow drawers. That's a real cute image.

:lol:
    Thank you

This discussion has been closed.