Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

Thank you GussNemo. There are so many possibilities - I'd spent several hours to decide which one I'll finish. Just rotate the HDRI by a degree or two, or move the camera a tiny bit and you're confronted with something completely new.

• TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited April 2013

Hey there... decided to take a look at DB's woven cube tutorial, but since I don't have Wings 3D I ended up having fun making it more complicated in Bryce alone lol... here's a first effort.

wovencube1post.jpg
    1200 x 767 - 654K
    Post edited by TLBKlaus on
    edited December 1969

That thing does look quite complicated. Great job, indeed.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

@ Rashad: Thanks :)
    Yes, all my most recent ones use obscure lighting. I'm not discovering anything new, but I am exploring what affects what and how that affects the render times.

@ Horo: Thanks :)
    The material for the tablecloth started off life as the Auto Paint (Burgundy) in metals. I then added the 'basic grid' bump and set the reflection to work from that texture. My first attempt at that render saw the tablecloth looking like a hybrid PVC/Future cloth so I knocked back the reflection quite a lot.

Your woven cubes look great.... my favourite is the Obscure Lighted one but the abstract looks cool too.

@TLBKlaus: You cubes also look great, but I'm particularly drawn to the reflection of the sky in the chrome ball... dramatic!

My latest is just a re-hash of a render I did last month. This time converted to OL and I've spent the best part of today trying to get the rusty material to look good under obscure lighting (honestly, hours of tweaking and spot rendering). That thing about switching the sun back on and setting it's diffuse to 0 just to take advantage of it's specular is a life saver.

I'm now on with a variation of this and am thinking of using the variation for the Bryce Render Challenge... But I may go and get some sleep while it renders.

RustyBudha.jpg
    500 x 650 - 271K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: I've yest to try placing the camera inside the woven cube, so was wondering if you enlarged the cube to provide room for the camera or resized the camera--if possible--so it would fit inside the cube?

@TLBKlaus: I find that image really stunning by the use of color. I had to look at the mirror ball for a while to realize the reflections on the underside. Might I impose upon you to find out how you made the cube?

@Dave: Your tweaking to get the rust just so seems to have paid off. Besides the reflection of Buddha, I believe the reflected sky color really sets off the entire image. That color adds that bit of something to just fill in the area behind Buddha. Nice job.

I was again playing around with my mirrored sphere, and thanks to David's help, greatly reduced the render time. In this image I added another mirrored sphere directly in the path of the camera view and centered in the large mirrored sphere. I increased the main sphere size, decreased the woven cube size, and more the woven cube more toward the bottom end. I was seeing black around the woven cube reflection after rendering, so I added another mirrored sphere, flattened it and placed it behind the woven cube.

The turquoise color was starting to be a bit much so I change material on both parts of the woven cube. The second image is the result. I actually see three things possible within this image, but I've watch a bit of NASCAR racing over the years.

The third image is my attempt at David's and Horo's Abstract Voids on the Bryce-Tutorial.Info site.

Abstract_Void_757_x_758_1.png
    757 x 757 - 938K
    Sphere_Mirror_Blue_757_x_758_6_dbm4.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Sphere_Mirror_Blue_757_x_758_6_dbm3.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@Dave - Buddha looks great, polished stone.

@GussNemo - camera size cannot be changed. The woven cube was set to 50 x 50 x 50 BU, i.e. slightly smaller than it came from Wings.
    The last abstract looks great. I see a clown's face.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Yeah...love the last one, Guss. Like Horo's, too, the resulting abstracts are sometimes incredible with just the slightest movement of camera position, lighting, materials, reflection/ refraction properties...etc.

Such works are always a love/hate - love doing them, hate not being able to tear oneself away from them as they become so addictive :)

Jay

edited December 1969

@Guss ty! The individual parts of the cube are rounded cubes hollowed out with booleans, then grouped, replicated, and rotated... two of them, the gold and silver ones, are reduced in size a little bit.

@Savage The sky is actually a default one from the sunrise/sunset tab, one I use a lot. :D

edited December 1969

Having struggled with the metal yesterday, I then lay the statue down and it all looked wrong again.
    More work to get it to look metallic and then had similar trouble getting the ground to look right.
    It's still not right and I've decided to do a more relevant entry to the Bryce Render Challenge thread as I'm not sure this one is instantly recognisable as fulfilling the competition theme.

So, here we go.

BuddhaSand.jpg
    650 x 500 - 374K
  • Waleed - JordanWaleed - Jordan Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

?

Post edited by Waleed - Jordan on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

This has been a most enjoyable thread!
    Here's my latest image.

I've lived on or near the Cahaba River (which runs through central Alabama) for the past 35 years and it's really an amazingly beautiful and diverse area. Especially in the spring, which I have tried to depict here.

Software used:
    Bryce 7.1
    Arbaro (trees)
    Modo (remodeling of the butterfly body)
    Photoshop (web prep)

Content used:
    Plants - Lisa's Botanicals
    Butterfly - Noggins
    Fish - Toucan

Rendered with True Ambience @32RPP; about 9 hours.

Thanks for looking!

cahaba_spring.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 352K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Savage...love that...simply reproducing it in a, non-conformative aspect makes it somewhat very interesting...no matter what you are trying to achieve technically or visually.

Dan...great work...when one has to look carefully, it is always a sign of a great, thought-out image...no matter what its subject.

Jay

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

@Dan - A fabulous render!! Butterflies are a favorite of mine, especially the Monarchs. ;-)

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

PJF made some mention of inni out bits. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBKGs_BtrJ4 And in the clip the word Amigo was used. This made me think of Sombreos (OK I can't spell, but it's a sort of hat I think and a mathematical shape in Wings3D) so here we go... Bryce render 15 hours - above, Octane 5 hours below. Both renders use Horo's White Balanced Kitchen HDRI as a backdrop and light source.

Stunningly good renders from Dave and Dan, quite different, but both very good. Jamie continues to forge ahead into abstracts. They are looking complicated - you've clearly found other ways to put up your render times!

Bryce_v_octane26.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 408K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thanks, though compared to yours and David's tutorial is too bright in the center. And yeah, now that you mentioned it I too see a clown face. Thanks for the info about the woven cube.

@Dave: I have to look closely to see the sand right around Buddha doesn't look loose/grainy enough. Still it's a fine image.

@Dan: That is a gorgeous image. Is that a salamander to the upper right of the butterfly?

@David: While I like the mirror effect in both images, I think this time Octane produced a better image. The depressions are crisper, color is more uniform, and I like the glassy look Octane gives.

edited December 1969

@Dave - still looks more like polished stone then metal to me; looks great, though.

@Dan - well, that's a fantastic render. The water is awesome. It looks like clear water does, hardly visible, just a bit darker where it wettens the ground and some reflections. This looks very natural. Could be a photograph, but the butterfly gives it away that it is not. It would have left by the time the camera was ready and the shot composed.

@David - here, there's no better one. The Bryce and Octane renders look so different that we conclude there were two artists with different intentions.

edited December 1969

@ Horo: I wonder if it's anything to do with the lack of reflection? It only has specular highlight because adding reflection made it look very wrong as it's supposed to be rusty.

@ Dan: 9 hours is worth it for such a great render... I guess there's a lot of transparency on those leaves.

@ David: The Bryce one has a lot going for it, but I think the material on the Octane one looks great.... but then again I do love a good bit of toffee.

I've been examining this Stonemason set and systematically going through it and adding the bump and trans... It's a big job as it's very complex.
    I also really need to do some more dragons in Poser to import into Bryce, maybe that's what I can do today.

dragon3.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 644K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I started trying to get a Dragon into Bryce, but decided I am not very good when posing dragons, his legs look a bit mixed up somehow, so I gave up on it for nwo.

St_george_and_the_dragon.jpg
    540 x 720 - 273K
    edited December 1969

I always have problems getting any animal legs to look right, the Mil Dragon comes with several poses which I usually use to get a staring point and tweak from there trying not to move the legs too much.
    My main problem though is that by the time I've added all the extra bits (tail spikes, ear and leg fins etc) the whole thing has so many components it's another monster job (pun totally intended) to Brycify it.

edited December 1969

@ Horo: I wonder if it's anything to do with the lack of reflection? It only has specular highlight because adding reflection made it look very wrong as it's supposed to be rusty.

It may also be that it has to do how I perceive it, I expect polished stone and so I see it. Actually nothing to worry about.
    Stonemason's set is coming along nicely.

@Pam - yes, that dragi looks a bit funny. Whenever I'm in need of a character, I pose it in Studio, bring it in Bryce, look how it appears, go back to Studio, and so on. Finally, I save it to the Bryce objects library.

I've been playing with the "raybundles" (Strahlenbündel) as we call these Crepuscular Rays, after watching David's video. Combining the two renders with a graphics application did not yield the desired result.

The first render (Creek at Sunset) is the setup, lit by Obscure Light and the sun for the soft shadows. The backdrop is the Sunset HDRI which comes with the Mentoring DVD. The leaves are translucent (one of Rashad's ideas) and the flowers on the ground are a terrain with David's Bluebell material. A lot of transparencies so the render time of 36 hours with 64 rpp should not surprise.

The second (Creek in Haze) render looks like the combination did. Only the sun is used as a light source and Dan's great material surrounding the scene. Materials were not changed and it rendered in 13-1/2 hours.

The third render (Creek in Fog) has all materials reset to black, except the transparent bluebell terrain. Here, I set the material to monochrome. Also only lit by the sun. I prefer this one over the previous one. The crepuscular rays look nice, though some contrast is still missing. The shadows of the trees at right are a bit unfortunate, it looks as if the trunks were extended.

dazp-CreekInFog.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 283K
    dazp-CreekInHaze.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 300K
    dazp-CreekAtSunset.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 355K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

It may also be that it has to do how I perceive it, I expect polished stone and so I see it. Actually nothing to worry about.
    Stonemason's set is coming along nicely.

@Pam - yes, that dragi looks a bit funny. Whenever I'm in need of a character, I pose it in Studio, bring it in Bryce, look how it appears, go back to Studio, and so on. Finally, I save it to the Bryce objects library.

I've been playing with the "raybundles" (Strahlenbündel) as we call these Crepuscular Rays, after watching David's video. Combining the two renders with a graphics application did not yield the desired result.

The first render (Creek at Sunset) is the setup, lit by Obscure Light and the sun for the soft shadows. The backdrop is the Sunset HDRI which comes with the Mentoring DVD. The leaves are translucent (one of Rashad's ideas) and the flowers on the ground are a terrain with David's Bluebell material. A lot of transparencies so the render time of 36 hours with 64 rpp should not surprise.

The second (Creek in Haze) render looks like the combination did. Only the sun is used as a light source and Dan's great material surrounding the scene. Materials were not changed and it rendered in 13-1/2 hours.

The third render (Creek in Fog) has all materials reset to black, except the transparent bluebell terrain. Here, I set the material to monochrome. Also only lit by the sun. I prefer this one over the previous one. The crepuscular rays look nice, though some contrast is still missing. The shadows of the trees at right are a bit unfortunate, it looks as if the trunks were extended.

I think you could get the same results with out the long render time of the first or second .

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I started trying to get a Dragon into Bryce, but decided I am not very good when posing dragons, his legs look a bit mixed up somehow, so I gave up on it for nwo.

Don't give up!
    What exactly didn't you like about the legs? Is it the overlap of the dragon's two right feet (viewed on our left)? If so, you could try simply shifting one foot a little to the right and the other a little to the left or rotating the scene just a hair so they don't line up exactly. Or you could always cheat and block the view of one of the two feet with a rock or shrub or other object. Or was it something else?
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

My main problem though is that by the time I've added all the extra bits (tail spikes, ear and leg fins etc) the whole thing has so many components it's another monster job (pun totally intended) to Brycify it.

How are you "brycifying" it? Maybe we can find a way to make your workflow easier.
    edited December 1969

Very impressive selection of renders Horo, the transparency on the leaves is worth it - even if the render times grow alarmingly. I've been mostly bogged down in recording video's as I wasn't able to do what I planned today. Here's another Bryce to Octane export experiment. I've not figure'd out how to make haze in Octane or even if it is possible - no volumetric materials that I've detected - but thanks to Bryce I know how to make them. The surface of the terrain incorporates an invented volumetric for the taller plants.

Bryce_v_octane27.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 581K
    edited December 1969

Well since we're in a dragon kind of mood, here are some dragon pics from over the years... :D

invokingwp.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 962K
    dragonslayerwp.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 813K
    dragonflightwp.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 878K
    dragondancewp.jpg
    1330 x 748 - 705K
    dragonwhispererwp.jpg
    1330 x 748 - 632K
    edited December 1969

How are you "brycifying" it? Maybe we can find a way to make your workflow easier.

The Brycificationalising of the Dragon is simply a matter of selecting each individual component and adding the correct bump setting as .obj imports don't set it. The bump map is there but Bryce sets it to 0.
    Also adding specular is usually a good idea too, there is no easy way to do it on first import, though as long as there is a bit of organisation (unlikely with my slack approach) at least families can be assigned as you go so that selecting groups to edit later speeds the process up.

It's a moot point at the moment though as I've got diverted working on a render for the Bryce Render Challenge. :-)

• MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

I see that I've been missing out, but real life work didn't allow me to lurk as much in this thread, plus all of my recent work with Bryce has been posted in the Bryce challenge WIP thread.

Anyway, cool renders and experiments by everyone, keeping Bryce alive and well. Too bad that the "owners" of Bryce don't give us any news about it :)

edited April 2013

@Dave: That Stonemason image is quite nice. Adding the dragon is a nice touch.

@Horo: Stunning images, very nice work.

@Pam: If your idea was to have the dragon and the boy in step as they walk forward, the right leg needs to be further back with the heel of the foot up and the claws on the ground. If you've seen animals which can walk on two legs as easily as four, you'll notice their arms are usually held up in the air or up to their chest. Bringing the right arm up into the air wouldn't look right so maybe up to its chest or slightly up and forward. It's a very nice start.

@David: Interesting comparison. The road in the top image begs for a sports car.

@TLBKlaus: Amazing images, nice work. BTW, I forgot to thank you for the information about the woven cube you make.

Still playing around with my mirrored sphere, and still disappointed in the "wanted" results. I discovered my previous images were merely looking up through a reflection of the woven cube at the bottom of the sphere. But not reflections from the entire inside of the sphere. I found this out by moving the camera to the sphere's mid point, rotating it 90 degrees facing center, and moving it out towards the side of the sphere. The first image is what resulted. I wanted to make sure there was actual reflection from the woven cube so I left the camera where it was and use the director's camera to view the woven cube at two different points. The last two images are the result. So I'll watch more of Horo's and David's videos and see if I can't get the results I'm after. Tally Ho...

...well, the images didn't display as I hoped. The one in the center is the result after moving the camera. The top and bottom images are the two different views from the director's camera.

Sphere_Mirror_Blue_757_x_758_6_dbm8.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Sphere_Mirror_Blue_757_x_758_6_dbm7.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Sphere_Mirror_Blue_757_x_758_6_dbm6.png
    757 x 757 - 280K
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

Looking good Jamie, particularly the middle one of the three.

TLBKlaus, again excellent, something familiar about the second one of that last batch of five...

Here's something for those of you who've run out of things to experiment with.

Bryce 7.1 Pro Experiments - Lighting Interiors - by David Brinnen

Interior123_f.jpg
    1500 x 500 - 232K
    edited April 2013

TLBKlaus, again excellent, something familiar about the second one of that last batch of five...

I had a feeling you'd recognize that one lol... :D

Post edited by TLBKlaus on
This discussion has been closed.