Olympia 8

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Wait. Olympia 8 DOES come with an eyebrow prop. That's my problem with her - she comes with an eyebrow prop, plus mats for the eyebrows, but they don't work for me as they throw up an error message wanting Victoria 8 UVs which I don't have. 

Ildanach said:
    Llynara said:

Ildanach said:

Good point about the eyebrows. Olympia 8 comes with materials for eyebrows, but unfortunately there aren't any eyebrows included with her (unlike with Victoria 8). Not sure if this was an oversight or not. So I used OhMyBrows on her instead.

eyebrows.jpg
    459 x 582 - 73K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203
    y3kman said:

Here's my quick render of Sharah wearing the Lethal Rogue outfit.

One of the nicest I've seen. Thanks for sharing.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited July 2017

I think there are something weird in the Olympia 8 shader setup. The default translucency is to high, set to 0.90, maybe to compensate the Transmitted Measurement Distance in Volume which is very low. Even you change the translucency value to 0.50 the skin is weird.

Anyway, while trying to set a better shader, I figured out something very annoying. I can see a seam problem between the Torso and Legs maps. When looking Olympia 8 in Texture Shaded mode the problem is visible. Rendered using Iray with the default shader settings the issue is barelely visible, but changing the shader, in my case, lowering the translucency value and increasing the SSS values you can see clearly the seams.

Can someone help me to confirm the issue?

1) Seams showing in Texture Shaded mode

2) Seams barelely visible when rendered in Iray with default settings

3) Seams visible with modified shader settings

Post edited by MBusch on
  • y3kmany3kman Posts: 765
    edited July 2017
    MBusch said:

I think there are something weird in the Olympia 8 shader setup. The default translucency is to high, set to 0.90, maybe to compensate the Transmitted Measurement Distance in Volume which is very low. Even you change the translucency value to 0.50 the skin is weird.

Anyway, while trying to set a better shader, I figured out something very annoying. I can see a seam problem between the Torso and Legs maps. When looking Olympia 8 in Texture Shaded mode the problem is visible. Rendered using Iray with the default shader settings the issue is barelely visible, but changing the shader, in my case, lowering the translucency value and increasing the SSS values you can see clearly the seams.

Can someone help me to confirm the issue?

1) Seams showing in Texture Shaded mode

2) Seams barelely visible when rendered in Iray with default settings

3) Seams visible with modified shader settings

She works fine on my PC. Left is texture mode. Right is Iray. Are you using the updated figure? Daz already released an updated for Olympia 8. I don't know exactly what changed, though. Try running the DIM and see.

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1040 - 296K
    Post edited by y3kman on
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@jakiblue "but they don't work for me as they throw up an error message wanting Victoria 8 UVs which I don't have. "

Are you sure about that? When I load V8 with "Victoria 8 All Maps", the UV for skin shows as base female".

Further when I load the Olympia 8 Eyebrows.duf, it just loads with no issues. I can alos load the various mats with no problems.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    edited July 2017

@MBusch

Textures look fine to me. Left to right: Viewport view with default, Iray with default, your settings including the SSS change to mono from chromatic (why?). Looks like it's you.

O8 seam test viewport.JPG
    713 x 964 - 59K
    O8 seam test iray default.png
    500 x 750 - 528K
    Capture2.JPG
    512 x 753 - 38K
    Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

no word on a non scaling shape slider. 

guess means answer is negatory

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited July 2017

I load the Olympia 8 eyebrow prop. Then I select it and go to apply one of the eyebrow mats. See attached screenshot for the error message I get. Apologies, it's not so much "Victoria 8 UVs", as it is UV sets that are located in Victoria 8's folders. 

fastbike1 said:

@jakiblue "but they don't work for me as they throw up an error message wanting Victoria 8 UVs which I don't have. "

Are you sure about that? When I load V8 with "Victoria 8 All Maps", the UV for skin shows as base female".

Further when I load the Olympia 8 Eyebrows.duf, it just loads with no issues. I can alos load the various mats with no problems.

Olympia8Eyebrowmats.jpg
    1539 x 681 - 426K
    Post edited by jakiblue on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

Mistara said:

I haven't noticed such a thing in any of the characters from Genesis on, so probably not.  Can you identify a character that has that slider?

--  Morgan

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    CypherFOX said:

Greetings,

Mistara said:

I haven't noticed such a thing in any of the characters from Genesis on, so probably not.  Can you identify a character that has that slider?

--  Morgan

I thought that character sliders were normally non-scaling, and only the presets included scaling.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203
    CypherFOX said:

Greetings,

Mistara said:

--  Morgan

I thought that character sliders were normally non-scaling, and only the presets included scaling.

In the Daz Original Genesis 3 characters, I think that is true for everyone other than Leo 7and Eva 7. If you dial in their body morph, the character gets scaled. Most of us  believe that is a bug that should be fixed, but Daz has never updated them.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    edited July 2017

CypherFOX said:

Greetings,

Mistara said:

--  Morgan

Setting the body morph and/or the head morph does not scale the figure

• Actor/Full Body/Real World/Olympia 8 Body
    • Head/People/Real World/Olympia 8 Head

When you set the full character morph, the figure will scale.

• Actor/People/Real World/Olympia 8
    Post edited by JamesJAB on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    barbult said:
    CypherFOX said:

Greetings,

Mistara said:

--  Morgan

In the Daz Original Genesis 3 characters, I think that is true for everyone other than Leo 7and Eva 7. If you dial in their body morph, the character gets scaled. Most of us  believe that is a bug that should be fixed, but Daz has never updated them.

Victoria8 doesnt have the separate non-scaling body morph only slider.  

this has made apprehensive to buy Olympia 8

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    edited July 2017
    CypherFOX said:

Greetings,

Mistara said:

--  Morgan

Nope, a lot of character sliders add scaling. Dante and Leo being the two Daz characters that come to mind, but a lot of PA characters do as well.

Laurie

Edit: Dante at least scales ONLY if you use the full body AND head slider under People but doesn't scale if you use just the body slider. A bit inconsistent.

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,821
    edited July 2017
    Mistara said:

Yes, I see the same thing. When you dial in the "Victoria 8 Body" slider all by itself, instead of changing the shape without changing the scaling, it changes both shape and scaling.

That doesn't happen with Olympia 8. When you dial in "Olympia 8 Body", her shape changes, but her height doesn't. If you dial out the Olympia 8 main control slider, she grows -- she's shorter than G8F herself -- and when you dial in Olympia 8 Body, her shape changes but she doesn't shrink. If you use the main Olympia 8 control slider -- which will make her shorter --- then dial out her head and body separately, she stays short.

Conversely, if you dial in Victoria 8's main slider, then separately dial out her body, she gets shorter, because they put scaling in the body slider. Again.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

vwrangler said:
    Mistara said:

Yes, I see the same thing. When you dial in the "Victoria 8 Body" slider all by itself, instead of changing the shape without changing the scaling, it changes both shape and scaling.

That doesn't happen with Olympia 8. When you dial in "Olympia 8 Body", her shape changes, but her height doesn't. If you dial out the Olympia 8 main control slider, she grows -- she's shorter than G8F herself -- and when you dial in Olympia 8 Body, her shape changes but she doesn't shrink. If you use the main Olympia 8 control slider -- which will make her shorter --- then dial out her head and body separately, she stays short.

Conversely, if you dial in Victoria 8's main slider, then separately dial out her body, she gets shorter, because they put scaling in the body slider. Again.

TIL!!

(TIL == Today I Learned...!)

I've never noticed that.  I would have thought the Head dial would scale the head appropriate to the character, and the body would adjust the size of the body, under the theory that the scaling isn't somehow 'overall' it's the result of sizing up and down individual components of the body that results in a longer torso, legs, etc...  And it turns out that while I would have thought that, I would be wrong!

Thanks for the correction!

--  Morgan

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited July 2017

Body only slider should not include scaling. This limits the usability of the body as a gene donor. Any figure that does this I will return. I find it sloppy and defeats the usefulness of that product. These characters are not sufficiently odd or unique to require baked in height scaling. (Such as a monster or creature)

the only official product that did this with the body only dial was Leo7. If there are others I'm unaware.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • infinitetofuinfinitetofu Posts: 105

I'm not usually one to complain about characters (at least publicly) but O8 does seem very rushed. I can't say I'm impressed with her yet. She may be an acquired taste, but my initial impressions of her were much the same as other's. The reason I say she's rushed is because of the packaging. From the thumbnail icons to the lackluster pro bundle, she just feels thrown together. One of the hairs I actually really like, the other, not so much. I haven't really explored her thoroughly yet, but some initial renders have left me unsatisfied, especially considering Olympia has been a favorite of mine these past two generations. And with the excellent open smile morph applied at 100, she straight up looks like the Joker.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    CypherFOX said:
    Body only slider should not include scaling. This limits the usability of the body as a gene donor. Any figure that does this I will return. I find it sloppy and defeats the usefulness of that product. These characters are not sufficiently odd or unique to require baked in height scaling. (Such as a monster or creature)

the only official product that did this with the body only dial was Leo7. If there are others I'm unaware.

And now Victoria 8

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547

Well, this is really weird. Installed Olympia 8 update and still getting the seams problem, but the weird thing is the issue just shows in the beta release 4.9.4.122. The same scene file shows without the issue in the release version 4.9.4.117, so is someone available to test this?

@fastbike1

Just because you have an option, doesn't means you should use it. I have no idea what is "chromatic subsurface scattering color" and was unable to found any reference to the term in the internet. To be fair I also was unable to find what “Scatter & Transmit Intensity” in the “Base Color Effect” property means, and just a vague mention about "dual lobe specular", but for this, fortunately, that mention give me some info about how to work with this new property. As always, DAZ documentation is omisse about those new additions. I just can understand why a new feature introduced is undocumented. Unacceptable.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,739
    Mistara said:
    Taoz said:
    Mistara said:

does she come with a separate body shape slider, no scaling applied?

Thanks. !!  

i'm waffling cause vicki8 didn't have a shape only option,

Really? That's generally considered a nono, so I can't imagine DAZ has done that on a main character. Can't you just dial the head to zero?

thanks for answering smiley

it's the scaling i'm worried about.

for Victoria 8, there is no slider for the shape without her height scaling.
    the level of effort to make a separate shape slider on my own, eeks
    no wanta to do it again  lol 

Oh, OK.

edited July 2017
    Taoz said:
    Mistara said:

Thanks. !!  

Really? That's generally considered a nono, so I can't imagine DAZ has done that on a main character. Can't you just dial the head to zero?

Victoria 8 does have separate morphs, I'm not sure why they said that there isn't:

Well the problem seems to be that the body shape includes scaling which she don't want for some reason.

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited July 2017

hahah She WOULD make a nice base for Lady Death! :)  I'm still working on trying to find a couple of really good white-haired hair shaders.

She's pretty much perfect for Lady Death. I'm definitely looking forward to getting her!

Is it something like this you're after? It's quite easy to make by editing the texture and shaders. This is OOT's Antonia hair.

(hmm, think I need to get my monitors calibrated, it looks a lot better on my rendering PC monitor than on this one, have no idea how it looks on other people's monitors)

oot_antonia_white_edit.jpg
    800 x 868 - 261K
    oot_antonia_white_edit_closeup.jpg
    800 x 868 - 473K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • MendomanMendoman Posts: 401
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    Mistara said:

Thanks. !!  

Victoria 8 does have separate morphs, I'm not sure why they said that there isn't:

Well the problem seems to be that the body shape includes height scaling which she don't want for some reason.

If those separate morphs include scaling, it limits their usability a lot. For example, if you have 2 figures, tall and short, and you want to create a mixed character that uses tall figure's head and short figure's body, you'll end up with a new figure with short body with too big head. That's why the full body slider should be only one that includes scaling. If you mix tall and short full bodies, their body vs. head proportions still stay correct.

Mendoman said:
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    Mistara said:

Thanks. !!  

Well the problem seems to be that the body shape includes height scaling which she don't want for some reason.

If those separate morphs include scaling, it limits their usability a lot. For example, if you have 2 figures, tall and short, and you want to create a mixed character that uses tall figure's head and short figure's body, you'll end up with a new figure with short body with too big head. That's why the full body slider should be only one that includes scaling. If you mix tall and short full bodies, their body vs. head proportions still stay correct.

OK, but then can't you just scale the head proportionally? I've done that myself without any problems, especially with V3 which has a too small head compared to the body IMO.

Apart from that, people's body/head size porportions vary a lot, some have small bodies and large heads, others large bodies and small heads.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Yeah, but WE need to be able to decide that- it shouldn't be baked in. What bugs me (totally amateurish) is there is no consistency, there's no QA testing of a certain set of standards for characters. That should be on a checklist, and a product doesn't pass GO if the scaling is affecting things it shouldn't. 

Novica said:

Yeah, but WE need to be able to decide that- it shouldn't be baked in. What bugs me (totally amateurish) is there is no consistency, there's no QA testing of a certain set of standards for characters. That should be on a checklist, and a product doesn't pass GO if the scaling is affecting things it shouldn't. 

I agree in general - characters should be free of any baked-in stuff. As for QA it definitely need some improvement too, plus DAZ should set some strict general standards for all products and if they're not met the product is not approved. That would also save a lot of time and work for the support people, and not least, for the customers.  

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited July 2017

This looks very good. What adjustments did you make to get these results?  

Taoz said:

hahah She WOULD make a nice base for Lady Death! :)  I'm still working on trying to find a couple of really good white-haired hair shaders.

She's pretty much perfect for Lady Death. I'm definitely looking forward to getting her!

Is it something like this you're after? It's quite easy to make by editing the texture and shaders. This is OOT's Antonia hair.

(hmm, think I need to get my monitors calibrated, it looks a lot better on my rendering PC monitor than on this one, have no idea how it looks on other people's monitors)

Post edited by Llynara on
  • baronekum said:

To be honest, over the last 5 years I can count on one hand the number of times I've used the base character for a render... more times than not I've used a morph to alter the head and body, or plugged in a character's head from one of the other characters released for the base character & the same with the textures. For me, the body shape is the most important element with the Olympia 8 release.

Case in point, this is one of my test renders with O8 body and a mix of character head morphs brought over from G3. (she sure doesn't look very masculine to me). Olympia 8 on the left with the striped top (using Daphne skin and Lainey eyes), and Olympia 7 (with some Ophelia thrown in) on the right with the striped bottom (using FWSA Susan texture).

(The O8 render as said is a test only... lots of tweaking needed before I'm happy to sign off on the finished image.)

Wow...gorgeous characters!

• Fixme12 said:
    Fixme12 said:

Huh is that Oly8 ??? For the first time i think off damn ugly figure. Only 3 renders in the original product i could think, it can be something (all else damn).
    i'll pass...

Sounds like a rushed launch as i see in the product renders and content in pro bundle (nothing special).

► HD & all needed figure morphs should be in the basic main bundle as this is what makes the figure and not sold be seperatly.

HD NOT needed here, and as stated in another thread would serve to DEVALUE the bundles, especially for people that tend towards buying most or all of them

Or they need to make the bundles more interesting to buy...

i prefer to have a more complete base figure (hd,gens & the morphs) then a pro bundle full of poses, clothes, hair you dislike and probably never going to use.

I'm far more likely to use the clothes, etc. than the HD morphs so...

Taoz said:
    Novica said:

I agree in general - characters should be free of any baked-in stuff. As for QA it definitely need some improvement too, plus DAZ should set some strict general standards for all products and if they're not met the product is not approved. That would also save a lot of time and work for the support people, and not least, for the customers.  

Technically, the stuff should have documented beta testing before submission for QA; that's the best way to catch stuff that might be out of place or otherwise inconsistent.