Olympia 8

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

With my PC coupon and a small amount of store credit I had, I was able to get the base Olympia 8 for only $8.80 so picked her up. I'm ...not impressed, to say the slightest. 

I did comparison renders. Same lights. Same clothing. Same hair. Same pose. Translucency Medium on both. Stopped both renders early as it was just a test, so there is a lot of grain naturally as they didn't complete. But boy. Olympia 8 looks like Victoria 3 next to Olympia 7. Plus due to the error with the eyebrows, she has two massive black slugs on her face. I'm sitting here deciding whether to return her. I'm fairly convinced I will. The difference is incredible, and not in a good way. 

Click ot see larger image. 

OlympiasTest.png
    1800 x 1200 - 2M
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

She looks like Michael 7 to me. Whether it's because Olympia 8 has a masculine face or Michael 7 has a feminine face, well, that's up to interpretation ;)

Na, that's just the lighting making dark shadows in her eyes making it look like she has deepset eyes so it's most lighting similarities and 3D DAZ render similarities. Paintings by the same painter in the same lighting will reveal such similarities too.

• I'm not seeing much to compel me to buy, either.  She's not bad...just not a must buy for me.  The outfits in the Pro Bundle all seem very similar to other outfits that I already own.  And, the hair isn't really grabbing my attention.  I also thought she looked like V8 with a weight morph added.  If I do pick her up, it will probably be to get the O7 and O6 stuff.  I still don't have the Tears of the Gods outfit or some of the earlier hair.

• I see the measurements are from Messure Metrics ...  I have MM, but as far as I know it isn't compatible with Genesis 8 and I don't see a new version.  Is something in the works?

Mine works...Make sure you have the update loaded.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,739
    Mistara said:

does she come with a separate body shape slider, no scaling applied?

Thanks. !!  

i'm waffling cause vicki8 didn't have a shape only option,

Really? That's generally considered a nono, so I can't imagine DAZ has done that on a main character. Can't you just dial the head to zero?

• a-sennov said:

Reading all the comments makes me feel like I've dropped into the Twilight Zone. I think she looks stunning!! Really beautiful! 

She's OK. It's promo art that doesn't present her well enough.

I agree.  I'm amazed at how many figures get released with blah promo art.  We need to see something showing off the great potential of the new generation, not just sort of bland versions of the previous generation promos.  G8F comes with a really nice texture and skin shader...especially if you combine it with NGS2.  So, I know that a lot more could be done for the promos.

Personally, I think a good basis for Olympia 8 would be Lucy Lawless of Xena fame...(Zena?).  She did well with the buxom, goddess look and the Roman aristocrat look as a proud, middle aged woman.  I think O7 did a much better job of this.

I also think that it's strange that with all of the morphs available, that we really even need more "base" characters than G8F.  I mean, characters, yes....but, I think the only reason that these others are considered to be a base character is because they are Daz Originals.  It seems silly to me to have a character that uses one of these as a prerequisite.  I mean, all characters are just morphs added to G8F - not brand new base meshes, no matter how many additional morph targets are used.  The two steps of using a premade character and adding morphs to create an additional spinoff character, just seems to me like a way to sell another mesh.  Otherwise, what's the point of it?  Why should I have to buy V7 or any other "base" figure to get a character?  The PA could just as simply start with the G8F as the base and not need any interim morph.  If it is because creating from an existing character morph is easier, than the spinoff characters should cost half as much as a G8F based figure..

Just my 2 cents...

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited July 2017
    jakiblue said:

will. The difference is incredible, and not in a good way. 

Click ot see larger image. 

I actually think that O-8 looks better. More natural hand movement. Better fleshiness on the arms, more natural eyebrows and more realistic curves. The skin and makeup option can easily be altered, but the base shape looks a lot better to me.

I'm not trying to convince you, but I just think she looks better shape-wise than her previous incarnation.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • AllenArt said:

Here are the two figures side by side. Maybe one could construe that the faces are similar (much less so when you see them together), but their bodies are vastly different :).

That is really helpful to see. Both the differences in body shape and skin texture are much more apparent here than the promos represent. 

agreed...makes her look much more interesting....Although, I still think she looks like V7's chubby sister.

• Again with the comments about 'masculine features.'

Oy.

Yes again... So I had discovered that a lot of women I know, some cousins, friends, coworkers, students (mostly the euro descendants) are men or like men because they don't have the appropriated and approved "features".  

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    AllenArt said:
    AllenArt said:

Here are the two figures side by side. Maybe one could construe that the faces are similar (much less so when you see them together), but their bodies are vastly different :).

Great comparison! Thank you! :)

BTW, what lighting/render settings are you using? Is that from a Daz product or your own custom settings?

I use sIBL Archive's HS Gold Room and HS Cave Room a lot since I like the warm lighting. I used the Gold Room in the image with my typical tone mapping settings. I don't have standard settings I use...I just adjust them until they look right to me.

Laurie

Edit: Oops...forgot the link ;)

http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

Thank you! :)

The render is quite nice! I'll see about finding the Gold Room and Cave Room. :)

edited July 2017
    Taoz said:
    Mistara said:

does she come with a separate body shape slider, no scaling applied?

Thanks. !!  

i'm waffling cause vicki8 didn't have a shape only option,

Really? That's generally considered a nono, so I can't imagine DAZ has done that on a main character. Can't you just dial the head to zero?

Victoria 8 does have separate morphs, I'm not sure why they said that there isn't:

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601
    GiGi_7 said:

Again with the comments about 'masculine features.'

Oy.

Yes again... So I had discovered that a lot of women I know, some cousins, friends, coworkers, students (mostly the euro descendants) are men or like men because they don't have the appropriated and approved "features".  

not sure I see the issue, some women have masculine features (looking more like a man), some men have feminine features (looking more like a woman).

i am not a fan of any of the Olympia figures, but I do admit this one doesn't seem as stocky or big boned as the previous version

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255
    edited July 2017
    jakiblue said:

Why do Olympia 8's eyebrow mats require Victoria 8???? I'm putting in a ticket for this, her page doesn't say anywhere she requires V8. 

Probably because the eyebrows are in the V8 package. G8F only has the eyelashes.

Which is a mistake from the marketing standpoint. Ideally two different bases could do with two different-shaped eybrow packages.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,739
    GiGi_7 said:

Again with the comments about 'masculine features.'

Oy.

The balance between masculine and feminine traits can vary a lot in individuals of both sexes, and there are natural reasons for that. And likewise everyone have their own personal preferences when it comes to what they find attractive or not. Don't think we can do much about it other than accepting each other's preferences. Since we vary so much in many different ways it wouldn't be a good idea anyway if we all had the same ideals or preferences.

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413
    Ati said:
    AllenArt said:
    Ati said:
    ThatGuy said:

I am surprised there is no additional discount offered to Victoria 8 Pro Bundle buyers.  Heck, I just bought the 2 nerd bundles yesterday + own Victoria 8 Pro bundle - you woulda thunked they'd offer me a sweeter deal for Olympia 8 - who looks so very much like Victoria 8, just better fed and more fitness conscious, I guess.

There seems to be a discount for O7 and/or O6 owners.

There is?? Hmmm...must be other requirements that I haven't met I guess *shrug*

Laurie

I have a 63% discount on the pro bundle when I put it in the cart. I own both O6 and O7, that must be the trigger for the bigger discount, although I haven't seen any official word about it anywhere.

Yse, there seems to be a discount for people who have the items being offered free - there should apparently be a message ("orange banner"), daz is looking into why we aren't seeing it.

seeing the orange banner now extra 15% off already have her but I did get a huge discount I think when I got her was $66+ in checkout was $56+ so I'm pretty happy about that had all the free bonuses already except for 7 pro but even if I had had that too that extra 10 off bonus but adding pro7 too very happy

Reading all the comments makes me feel like I've dropped into the Twilight Zone. I think she looks stunning!! Really beautiful! 

it is amusing don't you think that usually the complaint is each figure is toooo pretty/perfect not average everday looking or is youngish looking needs to be more mature older looking or toooo skinny and then they give us that or try to and then still complaints saying she's ugly or fat or old or butch the only female figure I've seen relised that everyone raved over was Star. Oh well can't please everyone. I also look at the related  extras you can buy which gives you more an idea of the newer character/s some interesting like the add on clothing textures or poses and so on as sometimes these better display the potential of the new characters and there are a few there that show off both the tough gritty side as well as more softer side of Olympia, Victoria and Gen8 as well as some of the add on characters. Got pro yeah maybe could've just gone for the base but want a few things to get going yeah she and Vicky can use older stuff but still nice to have few of their own things too and I think the archery set is ok too has that action comic suoer hero vibe feel to it would buy some of the extras if could afford 

lol Yeah. Can't please everyone, that's for sure. One thing I think MIGHT be causing (or at least contributing to) the complain-fest is that there is a lot of really negative stuff going on in the world right now, and I think that might be affecting both people's moods as well as making them a LOT more picky about what they spend their money on. (That's just a theory though.)

I absolutely love Olympia 8 and will be getting her as soon as I'm able to get some money coming in. :)

I think you'll like her you know she may make a good starting point for a G8 version of Lady Death

yeah always negative now days in everything just look at anything on facebook even a cute and funny aniaml pic or video enrages people 

some say O looks too manly maybe some she looks like a tough lady but there are plenty in rl do but same time there are a few promo renders that make her look softer and others that make her look like an average don't wanna say plain but as someone that doesn't stand out as for some saying looking like Vicky well looking at the different shots I think even in the base promos some are featuring showing what she looks like with Vicky skin or part of her dialed in but not saying it like others promos have when they've displayed other characters shapes dialed combined or skin textures used

edited July 2017

it is amusing don't you think that usually the complaint is each figure is toooo pretty/perfect not average everday looking or is youngish looking needs to be more mature older looking or toooo skinny and then they give us that or try to and then still complaints saying she's ugly or fat or old or butch the only female figure I've seen relised that everyone raved over was Star. Oh well can't please everyone. I also look at the related  extras you can buy which gives you more an idea of the newer character/s some interesting like the add on clothing textures or poses and so on as sometimes these better display the potential of the new characters and there are a few there that show off both the tough gritty side as well as more softer side of Olympia, Victoria and Gen8 as well as some of the add on characters. Got pro yeah maybe could've just gone for the base but want a few things to get going yeah she and Vicky can use older stuff but still nice to have few of their own things too and I think the archery set is ok too has that action comic suoer hero vibe feel to it would buy some of the extras if could afford 

lol Yeah. Can't please everyone, that's for sure. One thing I think MIGHT be causing (or at least contributing to) the complain-fest is that there is a lot of really negative stuff going on in the world right now, and I think that might be affecting both people's moods as well as making them a LOT more picky about what they spend their money on. (That's just a theory though.)

I absolutely love Olympia 8 and will be getting her as soon as I'm able to get some money coming in. :)

I think you'll like her you know she may make a good starting point for a G8 version of Lady Death

yeah always negative now days in everything just look at anything on facebook even a cute and funny aniaml pic or video enrages people 

some say O looks too manly maybe some she looks like a tough lady but there are plenty in rl do but same time there are a few promo renders that make her look softer and others that make her look like an average don't wanna say plain but as someone that doesn't stand out as for some saying looking like Vicky well looking at the different shots I think even in the base promos some are featuring showing what she looks like with Vicky skin or part of her dialed in but not saying it like others promos have when they've displayed other characters shapes dialed combined or skin textures used

hahah She WOULD make a nice base for Lady Death! :)  I'm still working on trying to find a couple of really good white-haired hair shaders.

She's pretty much perfect for Lady Death. I'm definitely looking forward to getting her!

Post edited by 3Diva on

I like that texture on the bikini she is wearing in the sales page looked in store looks like it is an unreleased product  someone's put in a bit of effort in the design texture always like more lingerie and bathing suites  but be nice for new styles and looks/textures/patterns  for a variety same with everything really

Olympia 8 in Vendor, Daz Originals,  3D Models by Daz 3D

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 903
    edited July 2017

I'm still working on trying to find a couple of really good white-haired hair shaders.

There's a product called IrayPair Hair Shaders by OOT over at the other store and I find that it works on any hair, old or new, as well as on brows and eyelashes (I admit to using them on almost every hair prop now). The expansion colors for it have a lovely white shade that you might take a look at.

Post edited by Quixotry on

hahah She WOULD make a nice base for Lady Death! :)  I'm still working on trying to find a couple of really good white-haired hair shaders.

She's pretty much perfect for Lady Death. I'm definitely looking forward to getting her!

was wondering on your progress wouldn't mind doing a version too mentioned before did Purgatori and the owner creator loves fanart love to do Evil Ernie. Haven't done a Vampirella for ages either yeah different company but was crossovers Vampi took on LD and P teamed up with LD. Actually Olympia here would work as Vampi too been a few different sizes builds of her over the years depending on the artist. Body shape wise she may also be good with some morphing in some areas for a Bettie Page type character model you know the curvey models of the 40s-50's and some later ones 80s mostly British ones they were more curvey

• greysgreys Posts: 335
    edited July 2017

I was a bit on the fence from the promo images, but since I didn't have the earlier versions (took a hiatus for a couple of years), the pro-bundle was too good a deal to pass up. Liked her a lot more once I played with her.

Here's a quick one I tossed together, no postwork.

Olympia1.png
    1414 x 2000 - 3M
    Post edited by greys on

I'm still working on trying to find a couple of really good white-haired hair shaders.

There's a product called IrayPair Hair Shaders by OOT over at the other store and I find that it works on any hair, old or new, as well as on brows and eyelashes (I admit to using them on almost every hair prop now). The expansion colors for it have a lovely white shade that you might take a look at.

Ah cool I'll check it out, thank you! :)

Lovely avatar by the way. :)

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

I like that texture on the bikini she is wearing in the sales page looked in store looks like it is an unreleased product  someone's put in a bit of effort in the design texture always like more lingerie and bathing suites  but be nice for new styles and looks/textures/patterns  for a variety same with everything really

Olympia 8 in Vendor, Daz Originals,  3D Models by Daz 3D

That's the Cruise Bikini by lilflame.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited July 2017

I'll keep my opinions to myself, 'cause it doesn't matter in the least which ones I like or don't like.

(but I will say, I only really like one of these)

V8 and O8.jpg
    1400 x 1000 - 203K
    O6 O7 O8.jpg
    2100 x 1000 - 298K
    Post edited by Fisty on
  • HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited March 2019

Post edited by HorusRa on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited July 2017

I'm going to be testing the Pro-Studio lights on Olympia, but here's the default lights, since everyone has those. It's a Mitchell filter, not Gaussian. 

Very large render, click to enlarge. (1058 x 1500 px)

Olympia 8 SIG.png
    1058 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • alienareaalienarea Posts: 510

I got the pro bundle and really like Sharah. She has the best face of the G8 line so far.

The clothing is meh, for example the barbarian outfit is one piece for top and skirt and what's the point of the desert watcher?

I would really appreciate an official DAZ statement on eyebrow strategy.

Since Victoria 8 and Olympia 8 come with eyebrow props I won't buy characters for them without a no brow option.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

This is 14L from the Pro-Studio lights. Full size, doesn't enlarge. 

Novica said:

This is 14L from the Pro-Studio lights. Full size, doesn't enlarge. 

Lovely! I like the lighting in this one!

• IldanachIldanach Posts: 217

What hair is used in that promo image?