Realistic Renders... NOT!! 12 "And we're back in the room!"

Comments

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Sounds like you have Luxus going and have to admit that I am seeing nicer renders now Im just to lazy to learn a new way of doing things but if R3 falls short it would be an option.. The good thing about competition is does push R3 to offer all equal options...

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Sounds like you have Luxus going and have to admit that I am seeing nicer renders now Im just to lazy to learn a new way of doing things but if R3 falls short it would be an option.. The good thing about competition is does push R3 to offer all equal options...

From what I've seen of the Poser version, it certainly offers a lot more control over materials than R2, which is a giant leap forward in my books. But most interestingly is the skin settings. Lux doesn't actually have a 'skin' material, but Reality 3 offers a useful conversion which automatically sets up subsurface scatter using homogeneous volumes whenever you have a skin loaded in. It also correctly chooses glossytranslucent as the material for the skin surface. While this might up the render times a bit, its certain to give a far more impressive look for the final image.
    edited December 1969

Like I said with my 23G workstation and network rendering should help with render times sides I have patience now and it does not take me several days like it did in my early Reality days as a matter of fact some outdoor scenes can render quite faster then using something like cloud 9 lighting. I may revisit 3Dlight rendering now that it should not bog down my machine like it does my notebook..

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Like I said with my 23G workstation and network rendering should help with render times sides I have patience now and it does not take me several days like it did in my early Reality days as a matter of fact some outdoor scenes can render quite faster then using something like cloud 9 lighting. I may revisit 3Dlight rendering now that it should not bog down my machine like it does my notebook..

3DL will still bog your PC down because of how it works. It utilizes as much CPU as it can get to speed up the render time. Lux uses whatever available CPU it can get, which is a surprisingly big difference. If you're running stuff in the background while using Lux it can actually increase overall render time, as your samples per second drops depending on what you're doing. On the plus side, of course, you can get more done since it doesn't effectively lock up your machine.
    edited December 1969

Its ok I will have my note book side by side and will have the beast and notebook plugged into my 27" monitor so I will be able to switch back in forth hence doing stuff on the notebook while the beast renders...

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Its ok I will have my note book side by side and will have the beast and notebook plugged into my 27" monitor so I will be able to switch back in forth hence doing stuff on the notebook while the beast renders...

Always handy to have two systems on standby :)
    edited December 1969

Its still a i7 8G notebook no need to get rid of it? The fact you can start a lux render on one machine continue it on another, network render. I am running my DS content and scenes on my 2T external so I can move work from one machine to the next and so on...

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Can't wait to see what the beast will do Thursday cant come fast enough! BTW I was in a store and saw the shell install on win 8 will definitely be adding it. Can you be more precise about that booting up recommendation you were mentioning? Anyhoo in the meantime....http://bobvan.deviantart.com/art/Island-6-369784906?q=gallery:bobvan&qo=2

The option I mentioned will be under Power Options in Control Panel, beyond that it depends what you have as to what you'll click.

CHEERS!

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited May 2013

Bobvan said:

From what I've seen of the Poser version, it certainly offers a lot more control over materials than R2, which is a giant leap forward in my books. But most interestingly is the skin settings. Lux doesn't actually have a 'skin' material, but Reality 3 offers a useful conversion which automatically sets up subsurface scatter using homogeneous volumes whenever you have a skin loaded in. It also correctly chooses glossytranslucent as the material for the skin surface. While this might up the render times a bit, its certain to give a far more impressive look for the final image.

Too late.
    I'm not waiting months for buying Reality 3's leftovers. I'm doing better with Luxus better flexibility and options now.

Post edited by Soto on
    edited May 2013

Good for you man. Remember you made some nice stuff with Reality too..

HeraldOfFire I post work fog by blurring some of Ron's smoke PNG's

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

...for me it's that I already invested in Reality, and have the latest update (2.5) for Daz. Already had to write off the 50+$ I paid for Hexagon several years ago as it is just too unstable to be of use, and on my budget, that isn't small potatoes.

Waiting for the Daz version of R3 as well. Yeah, SSS will slow rendering to a crawl but to finally get good skin tones will be worth it.

edited May 2013

Hopefully not with the new workstation... & upgrading for us will be most likely under $20.00 Im very happy with R2 I like what I can do with it & understand the settings really well. I suppose if I had to I could learn Luxus but I don't...

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Too late.
    I'm not waiting months for buying Reality 3's leftovers. I'm doing better with Luxus better flexibility and options now.

One of the things that feels a bit sore is that adding new materials should be a simple case of adding an update to Reality. It's just a conversion tool at the end of the day, and to me it doesn't really matter if that tool is Luxus or Reality as long as it performs the job adequately. The fact is that Reality cost me nearly $40 compared to the $20 or so that Luxus did and yet Luxus got updates to refine it and improve it while Reality had to get a new PAID update just to include materials that have been around for ages. I'm looking at you, Cloth.

Incidentally, Poser 3 is currently retailing for $45 and the crossgrade option is around $15. In short, it's still a considerably more expensive option than Luxus. Now that Reality isn't the only option for Luxrender conversions, I feel it needs to justify its price a little more by at least having the features and the materials that Luxus offers. If it's a case of paying more for less, then I'll be sticking with Luxus for the foreseeable future.

edited December 1969

...well from what I understand even on powerhouse systems, rendering can take upwards of a day to get a clean (non grainy) result. SSS will only add to that. However this system was designed to handle long render jobs as well (I also have Bryce which is glacially slow as it is only 32 bit).

edited May 2013

Like I said its what we are used to im spending 2 grand to build my workstation so im not going to cheap out on my programs. Mind you I do have he luxury of this being paid with commission work...

Ha ok I think network rendering may help with that as well...

The main reason I built this thing is to have something that has proper ventilation. Yeah the notebook works but having to have my drive or heat sync replaced every 8 to 9 months does get to be a drag...

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Remember you made some nice stuff with Reality too..
    Well, I’ve been told I did some nice stuff with DAZ Studio 1 too.
    Hellboy said:
    Too late.

One of the things that feels a bit sore is that adding new materials should be a simple case of adding an update to Reality. It's just a conversion tool at the end of the day, and to me it doesn't really matter if that tool is Luxus or Reality as long as it performs the job adequately. The fact is that Reality cost me nearly $40 compared to the $20 or so that Luxus did and yet Luxus got updates to refine it and improve it while Reality had to get a new PAID update just to include materials that have been around for ages. I'm looking at you, Cloth.

Incidentally, Poser 3 is currently retailing for $45 and the crossgrade option is around $15. In short, it's still a considerably more expensive option than Luxus. Now that Reality isn't the only option for Luxrender conversions, I feel it needs to justify its price a little more by at least having the features and the materials that Luxus offers. If it's a case of paying more for less, then I'll be sticking with Luxus for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, if each Reality upgrade is around the cost of the full version of Luxus, just to include features that are already in Luxus today, it makes the decision very easy to me.
    ...well from what I understand even on powerhouse systems, rendering can take upwards of a day to get a clean (non grainy) result. SSS will only add to that. However this system was designed to handle long render jobs as well (I also have Bryce which is glacially slow as it is only 32 bit).

With Luxus I'm able to use SSS in my renders now and have not noticed changes in render times. There must be, but not drastic enough for me to even notice. You’ll be fine.

edited May 2013

What your saying makes sense HB BTW thanks for the hair.. I made alot of stuff I liked with UE also http://fav.me/d4gnli5 http://fav.me/d4gnlkw http://fav.me/d4gnlu0 I prolly will re visit it with the new system...

tropical-island-wallpaper-06229.jpg
    1920 x 1199 - 2M
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

With Luxus I'm able to use SSS in my renders now and have not noticed changes in render times. There must be, but not drastic enough for me to even notice. You’ll be fine.
    ...well the 2.5 upgrade was free so considering, I would think that 3.0 for Daz Studio (for those who already have 2.5) would be a free upgrade as well.

...sorry, but Paolo put a lot into Reality and Daz totally snubbed him.

edited May 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..well the 2.5 upgrade was free so considering, I would think that 3.0 for Daz Studio (for those who already have 2.5) would be a free upgrade as well.

It's already been confirmed that there will be an upgrade fee to get the 3.0 version, just as there was previously an upgrade fee from Reality 1.0 to Reality 2.0 ($9.95 was the upgrade cost at the time). Only those people who had recently purchased the plugin close to the release of the new version were offered free upgrades. It's possible that new buyers of Reality 2.5 might avoid the upgrade fee this time around as well. Reality 2.5 was a free upgrade because it was functionally not much different to earlier releases other than it was now compatible with Daz 4.5. It was largely bug fixes, with the conversion being the bulk of the update.

I'm an objective person. What history Paolo and Daz have is none of my business, nor my concern. At the end of the day, I'm looking for a product which offers value for money. Luxus launched at half the cost of Reality 2.5, has support for literally everything Luxrender can offer, offered future compatibility and also full integration into Daz Studio. The copy and paste functions work as intended, I can have multiple presets for a material instead of just a single 'ACSEL' shader, and I can quickly apply materials using the surface selector.

Reality 3 looks to be everything which, in my opinion, should have been in Reality 2 from the start. Had this been the version I bought, or if Reality 2 had at least given you more control over the materials, I would have seen no need for Luxus. I had quizzed Paolo on this before on the Rendo forums, noting my frustrations at the lack of material control. His words were basically 'You don't need them' and yet, as I learned how Lux worked behind the scenes I found myself needing them more and more.

Now it seems he's actually adding in all of those controls for the latest version, and that can only be a sign of progress.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Please remember that this thread is not a venue for point-scoring discussions of applications.

Thankyou

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...well the 2.5 upgrade was free so considering, I would think that 3.0 for Daz Studio (for those who already have 2.5) would be a free upgrade as well.

Could have been the other way around for all we know. How do you know this?

2.5 was free for owners of 2 only., but regular upgrade price is $19.95. Paolo already said the upgrade to Reality 3 won't be free either.

edited May 2013
    8715451991_843a885713_c.jpg
    800 x 426 - 238K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited May 2013

Hellboy said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Could have been the other way around for all we know. How do you know this?

2.5 was free for owners of 2 only., but regular upgrade price is $19.95. Paolo already said the upgrade to Reality 3 won't be free either.

As chohole mentioned this is not the proper venue to discuss such issues and I apologise for bringing it up.

Let's get back to posting pics here and put the politics and debates aside.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited May 2013

You're right edited my post it's all about the renders! Few more days till I get the beast! http://bobvan.deviantart.com/art/Island-13-370180350?q=gallery:bobvan&qo=0

8715714775_0579bc6222_c.jpg
    800 x 426 - 215K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited May 2013

...here's something I never was able to do before. 3 characters all in the same pic using UE in a single render pass.

Leela and her two best friends, Tracey and Jade, goofing off in front of Buckingham Palace.

the_girtls_take_London.jpg
    900 x 900 - 597K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Very nice renders they are too!

We can also share tips and techniques regarding renders though, I don't think that's taking things too far off piste!

CHEERS!

edited May 2013

I dont think there has been any beef until the Reality vs Luxus reared it's ugly head again... so yeah we get it....

Nice one Kyoto!

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Looks like Poser fans will be getting something new to play with:

http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser10-poserpro2014/?hq_e=el&hq_m=1042890&hq_l=4&hq_v=b12eb63e29

So, it'll be interesting to what renders you guys can come up with in the near future...

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

That prolly also means DS5....

This discussion has been closed.