JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS III]

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Right now I'm just using 4x4Gb sticks, which uses up all my memory slots. 16Gb isn't too bad, but for some of the bigger stuff it's always nice to have extra memory.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,762
    edited December 1969

I using 8x4GB sticks in mine.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Oo 32 GB niceeeeeeeeee! Swine. :)

edited December 1969

I've only got four slots for memory on the motherboard! What board are you packing Frank?

edited December 1969
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

wow, it costs as much as my entire computer

edited January 2013

My whole system cost me $3000USD a year ago

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Ya know Frank, that's about what I paid for my old Dell laptop 7 years ago. Prices sure have come down in the years since.

edited December 1969

Yeah I paid $900USD for my Sony laptop and its pretty nice and handles renders nice.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

I've got 4x8GB ...
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=481
    :)

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My last desktop sits there silently, since the *crash* (after several memory-chip failed, among the raiser-card for the memory, and now I don't know what happened, maybe the motherboard). So I got a laptop with Win7 64-bit and 8 GB's with an i7-processor last year. It doesn't matter if there's a desktop or a laptop, but at least it's easier to chuck away the laptop when it's time.

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,221
    edited December 1969

My last desktop sits there silently, since the *crash* (after several memory-chip failed, among the raiser-card for the memory, and now I don't know what happened, maybe the motherboard). So I got a laptop with Win7 64-bit and 8 GB's with an i7-processor last year. It doesn't matter if there's a desktop or a laptop, but at least it's easier to chuck away the laptop when it's time.

Yea, the worse thing about those sort of issues is diagnosing whats wrong.. sometimes it's more cost effective to bin the main parts and rebuild it.. but, still sucks :(

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,722
    edited December 1969

That's why the shops usually charge you for identifying the problem.

And that reminds me of my first boss and mentor who used to ask people "How do you do?", and then when they replied he said "Thanks, that will be $50 for medical analysis" ;-)

And I would never swap a desktop for a laptop, ever. A laptop with the power I have in my desktops would either be like a portable fridge, or would ignite anything it's standing on.

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    That's why the shops usually charge you for identifying the problem.

And that reminds me of my first boss and mentor who used to ask people "How do you do?", and then when they replied he said "Thanks, that will be $50 for medical analysis" ;-)

And I would never swap a desktop for a laptop, ever. A laptop with the power I have in my desktops would either be like a portable fridge, or would ignite anything it's standing on.

You used the word "bridge"!!!!
    I want bridges by Jack.
    Yes.
    (Did I mention that before? :red:)
    ;)

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited January 2013

Jack's product used: Parkside Cargo. :cheese: DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Train-horn Alarm

Nice sense of speed from the passing train :)
    Thanks! Sorry that the only thing of your in this is blurry, though. :red: I rendered it separately from the foreground and hit it with motion blur in GIMP.

Post edited by KickAir 8P on
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Frank0314 said:

I've got 4x8GB ...
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=481
    :)

I wanted to get 4x8GB but it would've cost me an extra $250USD and I was already at my budget

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Pretty much, yea :D

I'm super intrigued by this, Jack. It seems like it's a well thought out universe you've created. I'm wondering if you've created a base story line for it.

I'd love to say it was, but really, I needed a name - and since it was part of a series (of which there is no real master plan) I just went with it. It was almost tongue in cheek, but it kind-of works :)

But yea, the premise was really to take the usual sci-fi stuff, and put a clean, gothic twist on it. As I've gone along, I've tried to integrate the various bits, but I've tried not to let that limit me too much.

More GIS on the way, too ;)

Well, just so you know, you've set up something there that surely deserves a story behind it. Or, at the very least, a base story bible. All your stuff looks great, but that in particular has that little something is beyond generic.

It strikes me that the settings would lend themselves well to something like Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, Bronte's Wuthering Heights or something more sinister, like Lovecraft's The Dunwitch Horror. You've done all the work building sets and setting up the costume direction. At some point, it would be neat to see some classic adapted and set it in a comic series rendered out to double as a storyboard. This all occurs to me just by looking at your work.

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    wancow said:
    Pretty much, yea :D

I'm super intrigued by this, Jack. It seems like it's a well thought out universe you've created. I'm wondering if you've created a base story line for it.

I'd love to say it was, but really, I needed a name - and since it was part of a series (of which there is no real master plan) I just went with it. It was almost tongue in cheek, but it kind-of works :)

But yea, the premise was really to take the usual sci-fi stuff, and put a clean, gothic twist on it. As I've gone along, I've tried to integrate the various bits, but I've tried not to let that limit me too much.

More GIS on the way, too ;)

Well, just so you know, you've set up something there that surely deserves a story behind it. Or, at the very least, a base story bible. All your stuff looks great, but that in particular has that little something is beyond generic.

It strikes me that the settings would lend themselves well to something like Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, Bronte's Wuthering Heights or something more sinister, like Lovecraft's The Dunwitch Horror. You've done all the work building sets and setting up the costume direction. At some point, it would be neat to see some classic adapted and set it in a comic series rendered out to double as a storyboard. This all occurs to me just by looking at your work.

I'm pleased to hear my work inspires you that way :)

It comes down to time really, as you'll see from the posts here - my work is never really done lol... so back stories etc are unlikely to come from me. However, by all means be my guest, I've love for you to post some stuff up here and I'm sure others would get a kick from it.

edited December 1969

Yea it's cool - joking aside I'm on the mend.. just can't shake it completely though.. bluergh*cough*wheeze*

Zoostorm - can't say I've heard of them to be honest.. the specs look nice, but they don't seem to say what the motherboard is.

Got the answer today Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
    edited December 1969

Gigabyte and ASUS are about the best boards you can get

edited December 1969

My first computer had a Gigabyte which last us over 10 years. Just doing some reading about the borad and the reviews are quite favourable.

edited December 1969

Yea, it's good to hear its a decent branded motherboard, rather than some uknown-oem piece of rubbish.

edited December 1969

And there are lots of those. Pay the little extra money and it will last you a LONG time

edited December 1969

I am seriously thinking of getting a cheaper one now looking to upgrade in the future when I have more time and money...just so I can get back in to rendering and learning.

edited December 1969

ASRock and MSI make decent boards that aren't uber expensive

edited December 1969

Asrock Fatal1ty P67 Performance ... in case I want to overclock, I can ...

edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for your input but I am not looking to build my own...I have been there and done that and failed...well sort of.

edited December 1969

I couldn't even imagine owning a system I didn't build from the ground up. I'm rarely satisfied unless I know the details of every last component that goes into my machine.

edited December 1969

Heh ya know, I used to be like that - but now, simply don't have the time to mess about. I need it to 'just work'... sure, I like to pick the parts, but even having someone know what works well together saves a ton of time researching.

The days of enjoyment tinkering with PC's are long gone.. it's now a tool. :)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,722
    edited December 1969

Heh ya know, I used to be like that - but now, simply don't have the time to mess about. I need it to 'just work'... sure, I like to pick the parts, but even having someone know what works well together saves a ton of time researching.

The days of enjoyment tinkering with PC's are long gone.. it's now a tool. :)

I always say: "Building a computer from parts is only cheaper as long as your time is of no value."
This discussion has been closed.