Day 4 of Generation 8 and...

13»

Comments

• morkmork Posts: 278

We'll see. Maybe it's just me. And yes, we need to nitpick, because eyes are super important and the improvements can only be subtle, since they were good already for G3 if you ask me (if you got the shaders right). By direct comparison, I find the G3 eyes to be better, but that's just my personal taste I guess. :)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,897

Speaking of eyes, am I nuts for being concerned that cornea and eye moisture are now one thing?

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,743

I think G3, G8 and even older generations, can look very real with the right skin textures and lighting, but it occurs to me, that I don't particularly need or want realism LOL. I often do a lot of postwork to make things look LESS real and feel insulted when people think my art is based on a photo. In some cases it's fun to come up with an image, especially in B&W, that looks like artistic photography but 3D, and even digital art as a whole, is still not a thing in the art world although photography is accepted. So do you lie and say it's a photo or do something arty and lie and say it's an illustration or painting? I've printed some of my art onto canvas and shown in galleries as "mixed media," and watched as people came two inches up to them, trying to figure out how they were created...

I know this is slightly off-topic, but I'm wondering what people are using super photoreal models for? Advertising? I suppose... Book covers? They can be artistic, don't really need super photorealism...  Sex scenes? Maybe that's it... But artistic pin-ups are still popular...  I just bought a bunch of V3 stuff when it was on super sale because I still love her face, (although the expressions are fairly lacking) but V4 has some great expressions, especially with add-on packs by vendors like Ironman13 (purchased at Rendo.)

So, I'm just curious, what are people using the super real models for? And if it is for sex scenes, so far the G3 models are much prettier than the G8 ones and you can buy a bunch of PA morphs for realistic bends, collision, etc... Right now, as far as I can see, advertising, sex scenes and maybe gaming seem to be the only uses for photorealism until 3D is really accepted as an art form to be hung on walls... And for people who create stories or graphic novels, artistic renditions are still much preferred over realism and comic book companies will only use 3D art if it is stylized to look like an illustration...  Or maybe people just want to be godlike and create random realistic people, I know I enjoy that too, but then I bring it into Photoshop and make them arty LOL...

Posted below is a V3 image I created I think in 2005 and when I showed it to people, they thought THAT was a photo LOL! Regular people who are not 3D artists can be fooled pretty easily!

Blonde at the bar.jpg
    1084 x 1017 - 679K
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,604
    Ildanach said:
    AllenArt said:

The morphs from G7 transfer so easily (even extreme ones) that I plan to get thru them all eventually ;)

This is Josh Crockett's Hag morph for Genesis 7 Female. Love ;).

Laurie

How are you using G3 (or G7 as you said) morphs on G8? When I select G8 figure, I can't see any of my older morphs?!

It's a hack, nothing official or added. See this thread for more info

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/176271/morphs-from-g3-to-g8#latest

• BBlogoBBlogo Posts: 54

I think G3, G8 and even older generations, can look very real with the right skin textures and lighting, but it occurs to me, that I don't particularly need or want realism LOL. I often do a lot of postwork to make things look LESS real and feel insulted when people think my art is based on a photo. In some cases it's fun to come up with an image, especially in B&W, that looks like artistic photography but 3D, and even digital art as a whole, is still not a thing in the art world although photography is accepted. So do you lie and say it's a photo or do something arty and lie and say it's an illustration or painting? I've printed some of my art onto canvas and shown in galleries as "mixed media," and watched as people came two inches up to them, trying to figure out how they were created...

I know this is slightly off-topic, but I'm wondering what people are using super photoreal models for? Advertising? I suppose... Book covers? They can be artistic, don't really need super photorealism...  Sex scenes? Maybe that's it... But artistic pin-ups are still popular...  I just bought a bunch of V3 stuff when it was on super sale because I still love her face, (although the expressions are fairly lacking) but V4 has some great expressions, especially with add-on packs by vendors like Ironman13 (purchased at Rendo.)

So, I'm just curious, what are people using the super real models for? And if it is for sex scenes, so far the G3 models are much prettier than the G8 ones and you can buy a bunch of PA morphs for realistic bends, collision, etc... Right now, as far as I can see, advertising, sex scenes and maybe gaming seem to be the only uses for photorealism until 3D is really accepted as an art form to be hung on walls... And for people who create stories or graphic novels, artistic renditions are still much preferred over realism and comic book companies will only use 3D art if it is stylized to look like an illustration...  Or maybe people just want to be godlike and create random realistic people, I know I enjoy that too, but then I bring it into Photoshop and make them arty LOL...

Posted below is a V3 image I created I think in 2005 and when I showed it to people, they thought THAT was a photo LOL! Regular people who are not 3D artists can be fooled pretty easily!

I like realism but only based on physics (lightning, materials, skin SSS ....). For the look of characters I don't see the point rendering too realistic everyday people or top models.

3D art is for dream, fantasy, unreal beauty. That's why the fairy characters are my favorites especially the THORNE ones. Now since Gen7 and now G8 things are turning into a top models contest and more like a retired top models cause much of them look like late 30s women with body and skin of a 20 yo indecision. Look at V8... just like that.

Back 10 years ago people were complaining about V4 characters looking too young but now we have the exact opposite : older women who got plastic surgery....

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 551
    EquisVoid said:
    We'll see. Maybe it's just me. And yes, we need to nitpick, because eyes are super important and the improvements can only be subtle, since they were good already for G3 if you ask me (if you got the shaders right). By direct comparison, I find the G3 eyes to be better, but that's just my personal taste I guess. :)

Genesis 3's eyes got better with time (as with most figures). So I'm not too worried about it. Genesis 8 has enough crucial updates to satisfy me, though. Out-of-the-box, its eyes look more natural than Genesis 3's.