Day 4 of Generation 8 and...

JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 798
edited June 2017 in The Commons

Day 4 of Generation 8 and... should be interesting! Releases and discussions both!

Edit: some very nice PA and Community support for G3F/G8F and back compatibility!

So G3 skins on G8 made from Base. Poses walkaround/bridge/products. Morphs happening too with some help. Some PAs announcing helpers and updates to back G3 catalog products!

Some PAs stating they have a vey long list of G3 items yet to come.

Post edited by JazzyBear on

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I'm loving Genesis 8! I haven't bought any of the content yet, still playing around with the base figure but so far I'm really loving it! I'm contemplating what to get. I know I want V8 and I know I want the face and body morphs eventually. I'm torn on if to get V8 and the face and body morphs, or get the V8 Pro bundle so I can get V5, V6, and V7 pro bundles with it. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I'm loving Genesis 8! I haven't bought any of the content yet, still playing around with the base figure but so far I'm really loving it! I'm contemplating what to get. I know I want V8 and I know I want the face and body morphs eventually. I'm torn on if to get V8 and the face and body morphs, or get the V8 Pro bundle so I can get V5, V6, and V7 pro bundles with it. 

Getting the V8 Pro bundle is a really good deal, if you don't already have a lot of the products in those bundles. What's going to kill your wallet is all the other stuff you won't be able to resist, once you've fallen in love with another generation of Daz figures!

Or as marketing would say, "Muahahahahaha..."

(Just kidding, Daz.)

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136

Only problem I have is I've already purchased the V5, V6, and V7 pro bundles, so getting them free isn't an atrractive sales pitch.  But i am getting a decent discount on V8 Pro and the new releases for having bought them, so, almost even.

• Tanis VoltaTanis Volta Posts: 550
    edited June 2017

I am very happy with Bone Doctor and V8 Pro purchases, can't wait to see good animation scripts for genesis 8, dynamic hair scripts, wind simulator, gravit and such thing, also the poke away 8...

Post edited by Tanis Volta on
  • iSeeThisiSeeThis Posts: 552
    edited June 2017

Oops! wrong thread [edited]

Post edited by iSeeThis on
  • SDevSDev Posts: 158

Hmmm ... nice day 2 - love the new Gracy hair - but where are the IRay mats?

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

its not Genesis 8 people its Victoria 8

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,733
    edited June 2017
    Ruphuss said:

DAZ calls the base figure Genesis 8 ("Genesis 8 Female" in the DS library).

Post edited by Taoz on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Ruphuss said:

Umm... It's both. Daz pulled a fast one on us, and jumped from Genesis 3 to Genesis 8. We've been saying Gen4 for generation 4 so long, looks like they decided it would be too confusing to have a Genesis 4. I don't have V8, nor am I likely to buy into the 8th generation for some time. But I've tinkered with the Genesis 8 female from the latest starter essentials addon, and can see some definite improvements. (As well as some challenges.)

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

@Ruphuss - It's both.  As with mamy other firms, they have decided that making the numbering sane and less confusing for folks not steeped in the history is more important than making it sequential.  Having G8F be synched up with V8 and M8 (and Olympia 8, Aiko 8, etc.) was apparently determined to be more important than the 'increment the Genesis version by one' approach.

I fully agree with this choice, having had to explain the difference between the 7 and 3 numbering schemes for V7 and G3 to someone. :(  Not to mention why there's an Aiko 3 but it's not based off of Genesis 3, instead that's Aiko 7... _sigh_

But yeah, for folks who're OCD about counting, it's going to be a bad few weeks as they get used to it.

--  Morgan

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited June 2017

ok didnt noticed that because i havent downloaded yet

its all the fault of this lazy G abreviation

but why 2 names for one product now ?

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited June 2017

This one has nothing to do with Victoria 8, because I didn't bother buying her. It's Genesis 8 all the way - all I bought were the head and body morphs and the expressions. I've been putting the morphs through SimTenero's randomiser to create new shapes and then resurfacing them with SB3 textures. I've done a few of them now and there's nothing particularly special about the one pictured - I just wanted show one that uses existing stuff from a mix of previous generations.

As mentioned, it uses a Skin Builder 3 texture, and the top, hair and skirt are all Genesis 2. The shoes are Genesis, and the stockings are from a Genesis 3 product. All of this went straight on with no trouble - I did have to adjust the top a bit to fit over the skirt, but they're from two different G2 outfits and I've had to do that anyway when using the same combination on G3 and even on G2. Heels can be problematic - I've had the most success with Genesis and G3 shoes and the least with G2 in my limited experiments with them. So far, tops have needed to be of a tighter fit - there's a lot of under-boob clinging going on which shows up a mile away with anything looser fitting.

I'll probably buy her a pair of heels of her own eventually, but in the meantime I think I can get a lot out of my current G8 resources and existing content, and there's nothing at all wrong with G3, either. No rush for the shiney stuff here :)

Ava.png
    600 x 800 - 362K
    Post edited by BlueIrene on
  • Ruphuss said:

ok didnt noticed that because i havent downloaded yet

its all the fault of this lazy G abreviation

but why 2 names for one product now ?

Victoria hasn't been a figure since version 4.

The Genesis base figure is free. Victoria is a premium morph and texture set. You can use the base figure without Victoria.

The numbering of Genesis was brought in line with Victoria and other morph sets, so people knew that the version 8 sets were for Genesis 8.

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 798

@Astracadia: That is great!

I plan to keep using all my same stuff and mix and match even figures.

The new Pose Doctor does poses from 3 to 8 and back again so lots to use without a huge outlay!

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

The morphs from G7 transfer so easily (even extreme ones) that I plan to get thru them all eventually ;)

This is Josh Crockett's Hag morph for Genesis 7 Female. Love ;).

Laurie

G3F Hag on G8F.jpg
    1160 x 1800 - 715K
  • miketeemiketee Posts: 58

AllenArt - amazing hag render. It really shows how well the G3F morphs transferred to G8F!

AstraCadia - nice render too! The clothes came out looking really good. I managed to fit a classic business suit - designed for G3F - to V8 - and it went well. I used Sickleyield's conversion method. I tried converting a pair of high heels but they just did not 'take'. I think for heels I will just go with those natively designed for G3F/V8.

Thanks again for sharing these amazing renders!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    AllenArt said:

The morphs from G7 transfer so easily (even extreme ones) that I plan to get thru them all eventually ;)

Laurie

That's amazing! How did you transfer the HD details? I've tried transfering highly detailed morphs but it seams to lose the detailing.

• I'm loving Genesis 8! I haven't bought any of the content yet, still playing around with the base figure but so far I'm really loving it! I'm contemplating what to get. I know I want V8 and I know I want the face and body morphs eventually. I'm torn on if to get V8 and the face and body morphs, or get the V8 Pro bundle so I can get V5, V6, and V7 pro bundles with it. 

I wish I had the money for that, because I would love to finally have all the Victorias. I also would have more base characters to create new characters with.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,514

This one has nothing to do with Victoria 8, because I didn't bother buying her. It's Genesis 8 all the way - all I bought were the head and body morphs and the expressions. I've been putting the morphs through SimTenero's randomiser to create new shapes and then resurfacing them with SB3 textures. I've done a few of them now and there's nothing particularly special about the one pictured - I just wanted show one that uses existing stuff from a mix of previous generations.

As mentioned, it uses a Skin Builder 3 texture, and the top, hair and skirt are all Genesis 2. The shoes are Genesis, and the stockings are from a Genesis 3 product. All of this went straight on with no trouble - I did have to adjust the top a bit to fit over the skirt, but they're from two different G2 outfits and I've had to do that anyway when using the same combination on G3 and even on G2. Heels can be problematic - I've had the most success with Genesis and G3 shoes and the least with G2 in my limited experiments with them. So far, tops have needed to be of a tighter fit - there's a lot of under-boob clinging going on which shows up a mile away with anything looser fitting.

I'll probably buy her a pair of heels of her own eventually, but in the meantime I think I can get a lot out of my current G8 resources and existing content, and there's nothing at all wrong with G3, either. No rush for the shiney stuff here :)

She looks like she's 45 going on 60. Sorry I just don't get it. Enlighten me please because I am missing something here.

ArtAngel said:

She looks like she's 45 going on 60. Sorry I just don't get it. Enlighten me please because I am missing something here.

Um, not everyone needs a 16 year old supermodel in a sleazy outfit for their render. Some ppl like to tell a story ;). I LOVE original characters that look like real people. I LOVE this character ;).

Laurie

AllenArt said:

Laurie

That's amazing! How did you transfer the HD details? I've tried transfering highly detailed morphs but it seams to lose the detailing.

I didn't...there's no HD morph there. I can't transfer those. That's just the base with the normal maps n stuff. I just loaded Vicky 8's skin first and then replaced the maps on all the surfaces with the hag's maps. :)

Laurie

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

I really do like what you did with this, she looks like a Real person who one could meet on the streets passing by stores on her way to her somewhat stressed work :)

And I too really love Genesis 8 too, haven't gotten V8 yet cause my wallet refuse to let me right now lol

• AllenArt said:
    ArtAngel said:

Um, not everyone needs a 16 year old supermodel in a sleazy outfit for their render. Some ppl like to tell a story ;). I LOVE original characters that look like real people. I LOVE this character ;).

Laurie

Some folks have complained G4 looks too masculine, but they've obviously never met women that look like that. And, as yoi said, she looks more realistic than before.

ArtAngel said:

Yay! She's supposed to look older. What I was aiming for was somebody with a reasonably natural looking expression, a 'normal' looking older face which didn't make her look like an aging super-model and just enough chunk around the middle to suggest she wasn't willing to let herself go yet but wasn't so obsessed with it that she couldn't help giving in to the odd cream cake urge. I saw her as some kind of senior schoolteacher or one of the hospital admin types that spends her days struggling with budgets while the medics moan at her because there's no money and the hours are too long. I can't see glamour-girl Vicky being half as convincing in the same role.

Carola O said:

I really do like what you did with this, she looks like a Real person who one could meet on the streets passing by stores on her way to her somewhat stressed work :)

And I too really love Genesis 8 too, haven't gotten V8 yet cause my wallet refuse to let me right now lol

Thanks. I think you saw what I was seeing when I was trying to create her :)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,569
    AllenArt said:
    ArtAngel said:

Laurie

Some folks have complained G4 looks too masculine, but they've obviously never met women that look like that. And, as yoi said, she looks more realistic than before.

Oh I have met women that look like that and they did look too masculine, LOL Realistic doesn't always mean attractive, LOL

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    ArtAngel said:

Yay! She's supposed to look older. What I was aiming for was somebody with a reasonably natural looking expression, a 'normal' looking older face which didn't make her look like an aging super-model and just enough chunk around the middle to suggest she wasn't willing to let herself go yet but wasn't so obsessed with it that she couldn't help giving in to the odd cream cake urge. I saw her as some kind of senior schoolteacher or one of the hospital admin types that spends her days struggling with budgets while the medics moan at her because there's no money and the hours are too long. I can't see glamour-girl Vicky being half as convincing in the same role.

Well done Astracadia. The fashionable, but not overtly sexy office attire, sensible shoes, and slightly frazzled hair definately suggest an administrative position in a fast paced office. I suspect when she meets her friends at the pub for an after work cocktail, she puts on her subtle brown eyeliner, and her favorite shade of coral lipstick (she can't be fussed for anymore make-up than that, mascara is definately out) she rates a solid 7.5 and doesn't have any problems getting the gentlemen to offer to buy her drinks. I don't think she is married because she has devoted herself to her career. Really great character.

ArtAngel said:

Well done Astracadia. The fashionable, but not overtly sexy office attire, sensible shoes, and slightly frazzled hair definately suggest an administrative position in a fast paced office. I suspect when she meets her friends at the pub for an after work cocktail, she puts on her subtle brown eyeliner, and her favorite shade of coral lipstick (she can't be fussed for anymore make-up than that, mascara is definately out) she rates a solid 7.5 and doesn't have any problems getting the gentlemen to offer to buy her drinks. I don't think she is married because she has devoted herself to her career. Really great character.

Thanks, DG :)

• AllenArt said:

Laurie

I have the same question. This señorita have HD morphs. How?