Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I'll do a support ticket.

barbult said:

Rune 7 product has bad metadata, at least in my Daz Connect installation. None of the materials showed up in Smart Content when Genesis 3 Female was selected. I corrected it for myself, and I don't remember exactly what the issue was, whether it was compatibility not being set or what.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

Glad the roomate is working out - when they don't, it can be quite stressful.

Glad your son is recovering well. Hopefully that's the end of that problem for him.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,149
    Novica said:

I'll do a support ticket.

barbult said:

Rune 7 product has bad metadata, at least in my Daz Connect installation. None of the materials showed up in Smart Content when Genesis 3 Female was selected. I corrected it for myself, and I don't remember exactly what the issue was, whether it was compatibility not being set or what.

Ah, did you install via Connect then? I don't use it at all (strictly DIM because my DS PC is offline) Certainly the materials and all show up for me.

Glad to hear your mother is getting by and your son is doing OK. Hope the toe doesn't hold you back for too long.

edited August 2017

Nope, never use Connect

Hmmm, where is the link for the Bug Report? 

Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

Novica said:

Nope, never use Connect

Hmmm, where is the link for the Bug Report? 

edited August 2017

Didn't they used to have a separate bug report link at the bottom of the pages?

Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Ouch.  Broken toes hurt.  (speaking from experience lol)  Tape it to the next one to help hold it in place, it will lessen the pain (that's all they do at the er, I know because I bent my little toe completely sideway and snapped the bone where it meets the foot.  It was attached by a sliver.  They taped it up, gave me a shot or three of novacaine and sent me home and told me to take it easy).

Glad you mom is happy!  That's so important in so many ways. I can't help with the HD's either, I have some for the Gen2's when they were given as gifts for Christmas but that's it. Hoping that my schedule will slow down a bit now and I will be able to get back to rendering.  I think I have done only 3 or  4 renders all month.

long time ago. Now you hit that  "submit a help ticket" to report a bug or problem. Same as requesting refunds etc. 

Novica said:

Didn't they used to have a separate bug report link at the bottom of the pages?

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

*twitches foot in sympathy* ouch...

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,266
    edited August 2017
    Novica said:

He does indeed look yummy.  I like that he's muscled, but not overly sculpted.

Tested one of the HDs last night, using my typical Pro-Studio lighting. Edit: Changed my mind. I'm going to do the dramatic lighting.

There's no postwork on this (normally I will fiddle with midtones, shadows, contrast, lighten/darken. So you are seeing apples and apples.

All HDs you'll see will be the exact same setting as Gwenbleiz. I did load the HD as closely as possible into the same position (on top of the regular one) but even a slight difference can change the lighting a bit, I suspect that's why the HD looks slightly darker.

I won't be doing much on these today as I spent a lot of time on the contest render and online the past two days. I'll post throughout the weekend. If there's any HDs you would like to see first, let me know (based on the reviews I did, those are the ones I picked up, except for The Guy and Out Of The Cart.

Lukas is a good one; he does have a classical European look...

ClassicalLukas.jpeg
    1484 x 1234 - 304K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on
    edited August 2017

@nath  Oh, it gets better. It's TWO toes.  (Just took wrap off, the small toe is ballooned up twice its size too- but not black like the fourth one (TOTALLY black, all the way around.)

@nemesis10   Lukas has a really neat, unique look. Reminded me of a David that would go up against Goliath for some reason. 

I'm stopping for the night on the HDs, I did get Rune and Kalea done, in case you haven't looked back. They're on page 40.

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

Are you setting render subdivision to at least 3 when rendering the HD morphs? I think you need to do that to see the full benefit of them. If you left it on 2 or less, pick your favorite and try that. See if they show more definition.

edited August 2017

It's on 3 already. It says SubDivision Level 1, then Render SubD Level (Minimum) 3
    I honestly noticed in the promo images (when I made the post about all of them) that many seemed disappointing, even in the promos. 

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

It's on 3 already. It says SubDivision Level 1, then Render SubD Level (Minimum) 3
    I honestly noticed in the promo images (when I made the post about all of them) that many seemed disappointing, even in the promos. 

Good. I agree, most don't look much different.

Yeah, if I had paid more than $3.38, some of even these would be going back. What bothers me is some of the default ones, if you watch carefully, have details REMOVED when you click the HD (that one that I pointed out the area above the kneecap, is only ONE of the figures where that kind of thing happens. Some lose lip detail and knuckle detail.) 

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

*winces*

One thing I've done is applying HD details to other characters - it can be worth it to see if you already have something to get the desired effects, especially for things like hands, elbows and knees. Faces can be trickier, and especially some of the more distinct male characters probably worth getting the HD set.

I have Olympia 7 HD. I'll render her tomorrow. I don't have your lights or poses, though.

barbult said:

I have Olympia 7 HD. I'll render her tomorrow. I don't have your lights or poses, though.

Excellent! Just try to pick a pose with the hands up and knuckles showing? That's where most of these have detail changes (a few do the palms, but I focused on the knuckles.) 

edited August 2017

Headed off to get some sleep, but wow, that's some sale today. Eris goes to $5.11 and 73% off and so does Analia, Cold Weather Outfit is $5.92, Sonja Hair and Upscale Aaprtment $6.18, Daydreamer Outfit Tectures $3.49   ALL those are $32.01.  Wow. When was the last time you could get 2 new characters, an outfit, outfit textures, a hair, and a set for that? (and all new items.) I'm not in love with the materials, but those morphs will be good for the Genesis 8 Female gene pool. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I tend to only buy guy hd morphs. I've never seen much value to buying hd for females especially when so many non base characters have hd now. 

I do like to mix it up though. Applying the hd morph from one character to another can add interesting facial details 

Olympia 7 loads with normal maps on.  Olympia 7 HD loads without normal maps but with HD morphs dialed in. The normal maps that come with the regular Olympia 7 product seem to add detail similar to the HD morphs. I see a difference, but it is not much.

Here is Olympia 7 with normal maps

Olympia 7 with Normal Maps

Here is Olympia 7 with HD morphs

Olympia 7 HD

Thanks for showing her, appreciate it. I frankly am finding these "meh."

Been working on them today and got Karen and Lilith done a few minutes ago. (just scroll down from Karen, Lilith is next.) 

I am going to try these on a few characters, but I honestly think I am returning all the gal HDs. Haven't done the men yet, they seemed (in the promos) to get more details. I am not getting the same results as the promos with the lights I'm using, and frankly, those lights are a heckuva more dramatic/contrasting than the promo lights. So I have all the gals still loaded up and I'll try a few with different lights and show you (probably not today, going to go spend time with Mom after supper.) 

Up next- working on the last gal I have, Mei Lin.

Be careful when clicking images that you don't automatically X out. Although I have selected "open new window" as usual, they are NOT doing that. Something is wrong with the forum software, it's doing it on some and not on others.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

Be careful when clicking images that you don't automatically X out. Although I have selected "open new window" as usual, they are NOT doing that. Something is wrong with the forum software, it's doing it on some and not on others.

In Firefox, if you right-click, you can select open in a new window. If you have a wheel mouse, you can set the wheel to open a new tab/window when you click on it. I'm sure the other browsers have similar options. (I've found it a good habit to get into! Among other things, going back to the page the image was on will take you to your latest unread message on the thread, which often times means the next page. Royal pain in the... neck.)

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited August 2017

I have only a few HD add-ons because I am not convinced they add that much.

But Ivan HD is, IMO, worth it.

For this render the only difference between both images is Ivan HD morph. Same lighting, same skin (base G3M).

17_G3M base vs G3M+HD ivan2.png
    1280 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on

I ALWAYS click my middle wheel to open images - it immediately opens them in a new tab, regardless of if they are meant to or not.  

L'Adair said:
    Novica said:

In Firefox, if you right-click, you can select open in a new window. If you have a wheel mouse, you can set the wheel to open a new tab/window when you click on it. I'm sure the other browsers have similar options. (I've found it a good habit to get into! Among other things, going back to the page the image was on will take you to your latest unread message on the thread, which often times means the next page. Royal pain in the... neck.)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited August 2017

I'm honestly of the opinion the days of separate HD morphs will soon be  behind us. HD morphs should be standard option all modern characters vended at DAZ. A modern character needs HD as a matter of course. Leaving it out and you are selling a character half-finished.

Post edited by Serene Night on

@xmasrose   I haven't gotten to the men yet, so it's good to see they are looking like the promo art in adding details. 

edited August 2017

Sonia Hair for Genesis 8 Females loaded absolutely HORRIBLY on Eris. The default is to go onto the head.  FWHP Eris.  The "Fit" says Eris, so no mistake there. I tried changing the parent to Eris, made no difference. The only way I could get the hair to move is to unparent, unfit, then you have SO much fun (sarcasm) moving it around when you try to translate it and it makes wide sweeping turns for rotation. So any ideas @fredwinklerart and @hinkypunk  with your character and Sonia Hair? I did test Perrin Hair and it worked fine on Eris. I'm puzzled.

I've loaded it twice. Eris was selected in Scene when I clicked on the hair. 

So is it the hair? Well, I tested the hair on Daphne and it worked just fine. 

Tested the hair on Duffy, worked just fine.

Okay folks, why will this hair go totally wonky on just one character, when other hairs work fine on the character, and the hair works fine on OTHER characters? 

sonja hair.png
    467 x 600 - 548K
    Post edited by Novica on

The sale thread will tell you the email link for today's sale does work, the link on the site is currently 404 (and has been for two hours.)  I don't know why they don't have sales change over at noon Daz time, so it's during regular business hours. Had this problem with glitchy sales for years, more that past time to make a change. So yeah, Jakiblue, totally agree with you. (she said the same thing over in that thread.) 

This discussion has been closed.