Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited August 2017
    barbult said:

Subdivision Level affects the viewport. It should have no impact on your render at all. Only Render SubD Level impacts the render. However for some unknown (to me) reason, Daz has coded Studio so that if you change Subdivision Level in the Parameters pane, it also automatically changes Render SubD Level, too. So if you had Subdivision Level 2 and Render SubD Level 3 and then you changed Subdivision Level to 1, Studio will change Render SubD Level to 2. (Grrrrrrrr). So you manually have to set it back to 3. Do you think this happened to your Ivan HD render?

I already spotted it changing the slider up to 4! So I restarted it a few minutes ago. Thanks for pointing it out though. I didn't really understand the difference in the two, so thanks for explaining it. I just knew I didn't want that sucker cranked up to 4 when I was only testing it to 3 for the default. (Edit-it's at 92% done, so will only be a few minutes. Will post it back up in Ivan. This is with the Render SubD at 3)

Post edited by Novica on

Well, that is not good either. The default Ivan (Render SubD Level 3) vs the HD with that, clearly shows the default is much sharper. I will double check the first one again, to be sure that slider didn't do a whammy on me and go to 4. I am not testing the HD one, as I looked while it was rendering and the slider was correct at 3, to match the setting on the default one. I'll test the default one right now, then gotta get some sleep. It's going on 3am here.

Yep, I got the same results. The default seems crisper. Okay, signing off for tonight. Interesting to see others' experiments, thanks for doing that. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I have rune 7 HD and Ivan 7 HD and I SWEAR, the last time I used them, there was a noticeable difference. Is there any possibility at all, that the update in DS has affected this? Cos I KNOW Ivan HD had more definition and was quite noticebly better. 

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    jakiblue said:

I have rune 7 HD and Ivan 7 HD and I SWEAR, the last time I used them, there was a noticeable difference. Is there any possibility at all, that the update in DS has affected this? Cos I KNOW Ivan HD had more definition and was quite noticebly better. 

I'm on 4.9.4.117, not the very latest update (that's 122 I think), and I'm seeing it as well. So if anything changed, it must have been before that. I do have install files for a few older versions, and I'm starting to think it might be worth installing them on the laptop to see if - and where - there is a change in how the HDs look.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

hmmm I'm on 117 too. I havne't rendered Rune or Ivan in a while so was curious about that.  

Nath said:
    jakiblue said:

I'm on 4.9.4.117, not the very latest update (that's 122 I think), and I'm seeing it as well. So if anything changed, it must have been before that. I do have install files for a few older versions, and I'm starting to think it might be worth installing them on the laptop to see if - and where - there is a change in how the HDs look.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,074

SubD has impact- both individually between the viewport and your render. If you go into the parameters you can lower the SubD in the view port to 0 and crank it higher (like 3-which should be what you use to show the details in any render)  on the render dial.  This way the SubD doesn't slow your viewport maneuverability as you put more objects into your scene.  All SubD should render at 3+ levels, otherwise they will have little to no effect on the render itself.  I always lower it to 0 on the top SubD dial, and 3 for the Render dial below it.  Also, make sure to go into your surfaces and make sure that if there are displacement maps to put the level of SubD to 3 as well on the model itself. If there are no displacements, then there's no worry there.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    Novica said:

@crispalomino  Michael had SubD Level 3, as does this one of Ivan. Doing the HD now.  Funny SereneNight mentioned Ivan, I already had him going. Doing the HD now. We need more characters like Gwenbleiz and Ivan, they have a lot of history in their faces!

Ivan 7 Default (with SubDivision Level 2, Render SubD Level 3.) 

Okay, to show you the difference, here's the HD Ivan BUT SubDivision Level 1 and Render SubD Level 3. There goes the details. 

So this is with the SubDivision 2 and Render SubD Level at 3, just like the Default. As Barbult explained below, the SubDivision only affects the viewport, and has nothing to do with the render. This shows that is correct, as both this one and the one above (which is only a SubDivision 1) ended up rendering identical.

Both are Render SubD Level 3. And not as good as the Default when it is at 3.

Yep, if the details were scrulpted at level 3, any lower level will appear smoother.  

• SSS, HDRI lighting, and bounce lighting will all tend to soften HD detail - they get light, one way or another, into the nooks and crannies and so tend to soften transitions. This is, in the case of HDRI and bounce light, the same as saying candle-light is more flattering than electric or photographers using light-diffusers for portraits (unless theya re going for a rugged look). Both Iray and 3Delight do SSS, though the amount may vary between material settings, but Iray is more likely to be using HDRI and bounce lighting.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,455

I've been fighting with Ivan HD also. I searched for Ivan morphs and found there were multiple sliders, one of which was set to zero, even though I'd started with Ivan HD. Moving that duplicate slider (no clue why) upped the details, but not to the extent that showed in the promos.

I got Ivan and Ivan HD when they were just on sale because I want Raoul. So many hoops to jump through for one character! Not happy with him so far and now I need Raoul to go back on sale. Much running of errands and doc appts today, so I can't look at this again, but glad I'm not alone in seeing a lack of HD. (And changing his skin out to a smooth skin shows how the HD is lacking also.)

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,455
    barbult said:

Subdivision Level affects the viewport. It should have no impact on your render at all. Only Render SubD Level impacts the render. However for some unknown (to me) reason, Daz has coded Studio so that if you change Subdivision Level in the Parameters pane, it also automatically changes Render SubD Level, too. So if you had Subdivision Level 2 and Render SubD Level 3 and then you changed Subdivision Level to 1, Studio will change Render SubD Level to 2. (Grrrrrrrr). So you manually have to set it back to 3. Do you think this happened to your Ivan HD render?

Oh, now I feel foolish. I was in such a rush... I assumed the viewport was showing me what I'd get. I need to stop and render things. (Facepalm)

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I also feel like there was once more distinction for Gianni/Gianni HD. And I wonder if the forum admins contributing are looking closely at posted renders. I firmly believed it was about SubD which is why I did my renders at  SubD 4. I was startled by the results. I guess I'll do some hand renders next since that's a popular promo.

(I find myself actually wondering if the HD install is modifying the base files somehow so that there's some level of HD that automatically kicks in at higher SubD.)

Hands. HD SubD 5 vs Base SubD 4. Files named so.

I'm going to try Ivan with higher SubD soon, since I /don't/ have his HD pack.

Gianni HD SubD 5 Hand Closeup.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Gianni Base SubD 4 Hand Closeup.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M

Here's an interesting thing: My Gianni Base has a bump and a normal map for the face; the HD one does NOT have a normal map assigned.

Here's Base Ivan at SubD 2, with and without normal map turned on.

Ivan Base SubD 2 .png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Ivan Base SubD 2 No Normals.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M

Ok, so that's the secret. Despite putting an icon in my Figures folder, the HD product is a MORPH, not a model.

Base Gianni at SubD 4, beside Base Gianni at SubD4 with HD Details turned up. HD NO NORMALS included as attachment for further comparison.

Gianni Base SubD 4 Chest.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Gianni HD SubD 4 Chest NO NORMALS.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Gianni Base SubD 4 HD Details.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited August 2017
    barbult said:

Edit: please disregard my question below. As I read through to the end of the thread, it was answered by DarwinsMishap on the next page. The benefit would be to keep your viewport from getting slowed down.

I'm confused. Sounds like you're saying you like the viewport subd level to be different than the render subd. Is there a benefit to having them different rather than in sync?

Post edited by dawnblade on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    edited August 2017

Loading the Figure "Ivan 7 HD" is not setting the Ivan 7 HD Details controller or the Ivan 7 Head HD Details morph. Both are left at 0. Try dialing them to 100% manually and submitting a help request about the problem.

Ivan 7 HD at 0.JPG
    488 x 446 - 53K
    Post edited by barbult on

Does HD Ivan have Normal maps assigned? Even with HD Gianni having Details turned up to 2000% the important bit is the missing normal maps. I'm actually wondering if you can achieve a similar effect to the HD morph by turning the Base Normals up past 1. Time for another test!

barbult said:

Loading the Figure "Ivan 7 HD" is not setting the Ivan 7 HD Details controller or the Ivan 7 Head HD Details morph. Both are left at 0. Try dialing them to 100% manually and submitting a help request about the problem.

I wonder if that's what happened with all the gals. 

Well, I did a comparison render between Victoria Base and Victoria with HD Details turned up and the big difference was the ears.

More attachments, including using Gwennli HD Details and a second with Gwennli HD Details AND Gwennli Normal map.

Victoria Base SubD 3.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Victoria HD SubD 3 NO NORMALS.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Victoria Base SubD 3 HD Details.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Victoria Base SubD 5 Gwennli HD Details.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Victoria Base SubD 5 Gwennli HD Details Gwennli Normals.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,662

The one HD that I like is for Ivan - it makes a huge difference on Raoul. For me on the youhger smoother characters HD is a waste of money. I also have HD for Creature Creators for GM2 and GF2 and they are good because they have more texture.

Attached are Raoul HD and without HD  Big difference to me. Subdivision level at 3 I think for both. 

raoul hd elianekb-d.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 797K
    raoul elianekb-d.jpg
    1440 x 1440 - 850K
    edited August 2017

Does HD Ivan have Normal maps assigned? Even with HD Gianni having Details turned up to 2000% the important bit is the missing normal maps. I'm actually wondering if you can achieve a similar effect to the HD morph by turning the Base Normals up past 1. Time for another test!

Daz HD characters use HD morphs instead of normal maps. The non-HD characters use normal maps to simulate the HD details. I believe that Daz does not intend users to use both the character normal maps and HD morphs together.

Edit: PA characters may be created differently and intend both to be used. I don't know.

edited August 2017
    Novica said:
    barbult said:

I wonder if that's what happened with all the gals. 

I doubt it. The females just don't have much HD detail, even in the promos.

luci45 said:

The one HD that I like is for Ivan - it makes a huge difference on Raoul. For me on the youhger smoother characters HD is a waste of money. I also have HD for Creature Creators for GM2 and GF2 and they are good because they have more texture.

Attached are Raoul HD and without HD  Big difference to me. Subdivision level at 3 I think for both. 

Wow! I kick myself repeatedly for not buying Raul when he was on sale. He was even in my wishlist.

barbult said:

Daz HD characters use HD morphs instead of normal maps. The non-HD characters use normal maps to simulate the HD details. I believe that Daz does not intend users to use both the character normal maps and HD morphs together.

Edit: PA characters may be created differently and intend both to be used. I don't know.

I am not sure I believe this, since if you apply the HD Details via a slider, you end up with the Normal Maps AND the morph used, and I think that's the only way to get the definition shown in the HD Promo pics. There's definitely no reason to buy the HD product to use independently of the Normal maps since the difference is sometimes that you _lose_ definition (as demonstrated).

In any case, doubling Normal maps on a standard model unsurprisingly produces similar effects to layering the morph and the normals.

edited August 2017
    barbult said:

I am not sure I believe this, since if you apply the HD Details via a slider, you end up with the Normal Maps AND the morph used, and I think that's the only way to get the definition shown in the HD Promo pics. There's definitely no reason to buy the HD product to use independently of the Normal maps since the difference is sometimes that you _lose_ definition (as demonstrated).

In any case, doubling Normal maps on a standard model unsurprisingly produces similar effects to layering the morph and the normals.

Well, you might be right, I don't know. Daz seems to release characters inconsistently. In almost all cases, I see the Daz Original HD character figure thumbnail load HD morphs at 100% and turn normals off. I see the non-HD character load with normals on. Ivan 7 HD loads with HD body morphs at 100% and normal maps on, but it also loads without HD head morphs turnd on, so I think it is really a screwy example to draw any conclusions from, other than mistakes were made in the product.

Edit, no Ivan 7 HD doesn't load with normals on. I accidently reapplied his texture maps. That turned the normals on. My error on that one!

edited August 2017

I think Ivan 7 with both normals and HD morphs at SbuD 3 is too intense for my taste. Look at those popping veins and very harsh facial details. I prefer just the HD morphs (after correcting them to dial in the head HD).

Ivan 7 HD SubD 3, with Normals OFF

Ivan 7 HD SubD 3, with Normals turned ON

Ivan 7 All HD morphs dialed 100% Normals off SubD 3.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 479K
    Ivan 7 All HD morphs dialed 100% normals also on SubD 3.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 489K
    edited August 2017

Okay, you know me and technology- how are you turning the normal maps "off?" When I go to normal maps in the Surfaces pane, are you just hovering over it to get the texture map name (if  you want to put it back), then choosing to browse and selecting "none?" I don't ever fiddle with maps since I normally show folks the default stuff, out of the box, so I am WAAAAY behind the curve here. (always admit what I don't know, as perhaps it will help other folks too.) 

For people who may be totally lost- when we're talking about the Subdivision Level and Render SubD Level, that's in Parameters pane. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017
    Novica said:

Okay, you know me and technology- how are you turning the normal maps "off?" When I go to normal maps in the Surfaces pane, are you just hovering over it to get the texture map name (if  you want to put it back), then choosing to browse and selecting "none?" I don't ever fiddle with maps since I normally show folks the default stuff, out of the box, so I am WAAAAY behind the curve here. (always admit what I don't know, as perhaps it will help other folks too.) 

For people who may be totally lost- when we're talking about the Subdivision Level and Render SubD Level, that's in Parameters pane. 

The Daz Original characters come with settings presets to turn normal maps on and off. You can just delete the normal maps in Surfaces or set the normal map slider to 0, too, but the settings presets make it easy. The settings presets are in Materials if you are looking in Smart Content.

Ivan 7 Settings.JPG
    488 x 581 - 60K

Ah, that's my first problem, I am not in Smart Content (and resist the temptation to draw a parallel with that to my understanding of all this...) 

You can find the settings presets just as easily in the Content Library. Just open the Ivan 7 product (not the HD addon).

This discussion has been closed.