Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited August 2017

Gwenbleiz is looking good! 

Here's the lovely Lukas. His classic male beauty lends itself well to playing Alexander the Great and other historical hotties. (Click and zoom in for more detail.)

Post edited by Llynara on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited August 2017

He does indeed look yummy.  I like that he's muscled, but not overly sculpted.

Tested one of the HDs last night, using my typical Pro-Studio lighting. Edit: Changed my mind. I'm going to do the dramatic lighting.

There's no postwork on this (normally I will fiddle with midtones, shadows, contrast, lighten/darken. So you are seeing apples and apples.

All HDs you'll see will be the exact same setting as Gwenbleiz. I did load the HD as closely as possible into the same position (on top of the regular one) but even a slight difference can change the lighting a bit, I suspect that's why the HD looks slightly darker.

I won't be doing much on these today as I spent a lot of time on the contest render and online the past two days. I'll post throughout the weekend. If there's any HDs you would like to see first, let me know (based on the reviews I did, those are the ones I picked up, except for The Guy and Out Of The Cart.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Gwenbleiz HD looks really great.  He makes a great rugged character.  I'm going to keep a copy of your settings.  Also, thanks for showing the with/without HD renders for characters.  

edited August 2017

@worldsedge    Here's the EXACT settings for Gwenbleiz  (and he looks even better on my computer than on the forums or gallery. There's SO much more detail in the forehead and pores!)  

In Render Settings:  Filtering
    Firefly Enable On
    Nominal Luminance 0  (what does this do?)
    Noise Filter Enable ON
    Noise Degrain Filtering 3
    Noise Degrain Radius 5
    Noise Degrain Blur Difference .20
    Bloom Filter Enable OFF
    Pixel Filter MITCHELL
    Pixel Filter Radius 1.33  (if you lower this, you'll get even sharper results, I'd test down to 1.25. The eyebrows may get too "sharp" after that for closeups.)

Tone Mapping:  

Remember, always move your Film ISO first, because that moves the Exposure Value. (which in turn moves the Shutter Speed.)  You can't set the Exposure Value first then Film ISO, because when you do the Film ISO, you'll mess up the first one (Exposure Value) again!

First: Film ISO   155.08
    Exposure Value  13.38
    Burn Highlights .25
    Crush Blacks  .20
    Saturation   1.14     Increasing Saturation is a good idea for extreme closeups (and brightly lit renders.) IMO.

Then use Pro-Studio light 20L. Don't change anything in Environment. (Mine is on Dome and Scene, Infinite Sphere.)  The Pro-Studio will make the changes in the other options for you. Depending on your character's skin, you will change the saturation (may go too red, too blue, too yellow) and I change Exposure Value. In Environment, you could also just tweak the Environment Intensity (do that in .05's, nothing drastic. Like 1.05, 1.10, etc.)

If the skin materials are too red, remember you can put a light pink / mauve in the White Point in Tone Mapping, and it will add blue.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Ever since you showed me how to use tone mapping, I've been getting much much better renders.  I love what it does.  I usually end up making small test renders, tweaking settings, testing again, until I get it right.  Thank you for the settings, and I do have the character so I can give it a try.  

While the Filter settings will work for you regardless of the light set you use, the Tone Mapping will have to be tweaked if you're not using Pro-Studio HDR Lighting System

BTW, I don't know if you folks saw it, but one of the products used the Pro-Studio lighting for the promos (and it was so nice to see credit given to all the products, not just the lighting. It was lightly printed on the last promo.) 

Aha, found her. Kudos to @fredwinklerart and @sabby  We appreciate knowing the products!  See last promo.
    FWSA Rose

edited August 2017

Arabella vs Arabella HD

I have done this twice from scratch, to ensure I wasn't seeing what I was seeing.  Or more precisely, what I was NOT seeing. 'Nuff said.
    No postwork, these are darker / dramatic on purpose so you can see the change in details- where they do or don't occur.

Default will always be the first one. HD is the second.

Click to enlarge- each will open in a new window. Then click back and forth to compare.(It's really cool to see the tendon indentation in the hand change on this one)  

arabellaDefault.png
    533 x 1200 - 678K
    arabellaHD.png
    533 x 1200 - 679K
    arabellaDefaultHead.png
    800 x 800 - 844K
    arabellaHDHead.png
    800 x 800 - 841K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017

Eva vs Eva HD  

Okay, got the hang of this. I'm loading both at the same time, they are IDENTICAL in placement and pose. When you click back and forth (again, click each one, they open in a new window) you will easily see movement where there are changes. No movement, no changes.) 

Okay, what's with the lighting or skin materials for the hands? The default hands are less ruddy than the HD hands. It did it on Arabella and Eva! Look at the closeups.

First is default. Second is HD. 

evaDefault.png
    533 x 1200 - 673K
    evaHD.png
    533 x 1200 - 671K
    eva7Head.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    eva7Head HD.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017

Gia Vs Gia HD   

First is default, second is HD.
    Don't know why the face closeups look so dark here, when you click them they look like their normal images.

And no, I have NOT got the images mislabeled. Some of these, details LEAVE the HD ones. This one was tested twice, her leg on OUR left, above the knee, loses that deeper groove. If you are clicking these in the order presented- aka the default, THEN the HD, the HD is going to be the popup closest to your forum page.

Gia Head Default.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Gia Head HD.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Gia Body DEFAULT.png
    533 x 1200 - 698K
    Gia Body HD.png
    533 x 1200 - 698K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017

Kalea vs Kalea HD

First is the default, second is the HD. Had to lighten this one from the lighting used on all these- Kalea is very dark.

kalea Default BOdy.png
    533 x 1200 - 814K
    kalea HD BOdy.png
    533 x 1200 - 815K
    kalea Default Head.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    kalea HD Head.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017

Karen Vs Karen HD

First is the default, second is the HD.

karen Body.png
    533 x 1200 - 669K
    karen Body HD.png
    533 x 1200 - 668K
    karen Head Default.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    karen Head HD.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017

Lilith vs Lilith HD   

Litlith Head Default.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Litlith Head HD.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    LilithBody Default.png
    533 x 1200 - 670K
    LilithBody HD.png
    533 x 1200 - 666K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017

Mei Lin Vs Mei Lin 7

So testing a character- Kiaria for Mei Lin 7  Vs Kiaria on Mei Lin HD.  Just doing the face.

The HD. 

Mei Lin DEFAULT.png
    533 x 1200 - 682K
    Mei Lin HD.png
    533 x 1200 - 681K
    Mei Lin Face Default.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Mei Lin HD FACE.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Mei Lin Kiaria DEFAULT.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
    Mei Lin Kiaria HD.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017

Rune vs Rune HD

Default then HD.

I continue to be baffled as to why the materials change color. (look at the hands!) As you can see, the original is more yellow. These figures are all loaded and stay at the default World Center, a pose is applied (same one to each figure) and the figures are never moved, only the camera. So the light is exactly the same. Are the materials different for the HD models?

rune Default Head.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    rune HD Head.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    rune Default body.png
    533 x 1200 - 692K
    rune HD body.png
    533 x 1200 - 692K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017

Okay, too weird. I have Rune. But no matter how many times I install/ uninstall, she simply will NOT show up in Content Library. Not in the avatars (when you click on Characters) for Genesis 3 Females, and not in the folders (when you click Characters and then to the right are your folder options. ) 

Someone check and see if your Rune shows up in Content Library in both the character avatars (where you just click the image to load) and in the folders to the right?  I closed the studio and installed/ uninstalled twice. Still no Rune there.

But she is in Products. So she IS loaded! (which agrees with DIM)

Edit: problem solved. Want to mention my error in case someone else makes it- there was a second page of characters! While the numbers will show you (say 85 out of 140) there is no Page Two. You just have to notice the arrows. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    Novica said:

Well, here's another really neat dude. 

Great render Novica! Now that's a face with some character to it, as if he's seen the world. I have him in my runtime, will have to do something with him.

Llynara said:

Here's the lovely Lukas. His classic male beauty lends itself well to playing Alexander the Great and other historical hotties. 

Nice one Llynara. Definitely has the classic look. Got it wish listed.

@rgcincy   Do you have Rune that you can check for me?

I don't know WHY the forums are messing up, but all those images did fit side to side, now they don't. And the windows ARE designated open in a new window, and Gia's aren't. I'm getting really ticked. (Not to mention wondering what other characters I have that aren't showing up for me in Content Library avatars or the list of characters in the folder section.) 

Rune 7 shows up in my Content Library but only in the avatars at the bottom, not in the list to the right. I have not upgraded to the new version that was just released.

This is so frustrating. She is indeed installed, she's in my products, I clicked and loaded her from there so all the files are right. Anyone who has the new version- can you see if she is in yours in Content Library?  Thanks Rich.

If this ever happens to you- here's what I did. I loaded both (normally you do one character) and saved as a Scene Subset in the Genesis 3 Females>Characters and now I at least have her there. Remember, whatever your view is out in the viewport is the image you'll see. 

But this makes me wonder who else I'm missing!!! If I hadn't done that list of HD characters a couple pages back, to compare with who I'm doing, I would never have known she didn't install correctly. Which leads me to this- I JUST BOUGHT HER so I didn't have her with the old studio version.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,151
    Well I'm still running DS 4.9.4.117 and Rune 7 is present and correct everywhere I would expect to see her. Do you see her through Content Library - People - G3F - Characters? Do you see everyone else you expect to see there?

You probably already plan to, but can you add a link on the first page to the first of your HD comparisons? I haven't gotten many HD's and always wondered if they were worth it. So your comparions will be very helpful.

edited August 2017

I'm 4.9.4.122  and nope, that's what I'm saying. She wasn't in Content Library at all. Not in the avatars, doesn't have a folder. (For newbies- To check your version, go to Help at the top in studio and then About Daz Studio)  Edit: and yep, I've been getting the other HD's and characters from the avatars, they are all there.

Post edited by Novica on
    RGcincy said:

You probably already plan to, but can you add a link on the first page to the first of your HD comparisons? I haven't gotten many HD's and always wondered if they were worth it. So your comparions will be very helpful.

I've got to figure out what to do with that- the References post is past the allowed character limit. Yes, posts have limits. So I'll see about removing some verbage and linking the first one. 

Okay, so what I'm using is the Pro-Studio, light 20L, and the Bella Donna standing Pose 3. She's wearing Basic Wear. Anyone who has Olympia 7, Bethany 7 want to give those a shot to compare the HD version/ not? (whether you have my products/lights that I'm using, or not) 

Not sure if I'll get to the guys tonight or not. I think I broke my toe a couple hours ago (fourth one- and buddy, does your shoe rub on THAT one!) so Iwas  hobbling around,  went out and trimmed bushes, hauled those out to the street to put in the trash as pickup is today- then said "forget this!" So that's why I've been rendering for a few hours.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,151
    edited August 2017

Well I have to admit you have me stumped with your missing Rune problem!

Sorry I can't help with the HD/Not comparisons - the only HD add-ons I have are M6 and Scott 6 (which were either very cheap or bought to trigger some special discount in a sale sometime in the past) - I never got round to buying any for Genesis 3 figures.

Ooh, that toe sounds painful! I hope it's only a bruise not a break, but with the luck you and your family have been having.... Speaking of which, how are your mother and son doing now?

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

Rune 7 product has bad metadata, at least in my Daz Connect installation. None of the materials showed up in Smart Content when Genesis 3 Female was selected. I corrected it for myself, and I don't remember exactly what the issue was, whether it was compatibility not being set or what.

edited August 2017

Mom is really enjoying her "specialized care" room- her roomie is 101 years old and hard of hearing/ sleeps most the time when she's in the room, so she's a good roommate. The cardinals have found mom's new room and so she has her "old gang" back at the feeders (trust me, six to eight cardinals have to have SOME repeats from the other feeder. She's in the next section over, so think of an "L" with her old room at the top of the L and now she's on the horizontal part at the very end. And the area to the right of the L is a big, open yard.)   Mom still has the back pain with all those compressed discs and fractures, but it just takes time.

My son-  It took about two weeks for him to go up and down the stairs (we pampered him the first week LOL) normally, and his lungs are doing great now.  Thanks for asking! 

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

I think I broke my toe a couple hours ago (fourth one- and buddy, does your shoe rub on THAT one!) so Iwas  hobbling around,  went out and trimmed bushes, hauled those out to the street to put in the trash as pickup is today- then said "forget this!" So that's why I've been rendering for a few hours.

Ouch! Hope it's not that. My wife stubbed her little toe earlier this summer. It was bruised and painful for several weeks but slowly cleared up. She wore sandals a lot for the reason you mention - shoes put pressure on the toe. We think it was just a ligament strain or tear as she caught a chair leg between the two toes and the little one spread out pretty far. Time for a little R&R for you.

This discussion has been closed.