Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited August 2017

I like the windbreaker outfit released today. The cropped top outfit has me scratching my head though. The promo is hilarious with the woman in a board room wearing her casual attire. I do admit the jeans perplex me. They look like they should be sitting lower on the hips

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited August 2017

the jeans looks strange in the pelvic/hip/crotch area. And the fly/zipper and button don't look right either.  

edit: ok. The waistband of the jeans. It goes all the way across, has a little button in the middle....and the fly goes up and stops at the bottom of the waistband. I can't figure out how you'd get them on, cos the zipper doesn't go up to the button. 

I like the windbreaker outfit released today. The cropped top outfit has me scratching my head though. The promo is hilarious with the woman in a board room wearing her casual attire. I do admit the jeans perplex me. They look like they should be sitting lower on the hips

Post edited by jakiblue on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,719
    Novica said:
    Nath said:

It does look as if there's something white (a piece of chalk?) to the right of the eraser in one of the promos...

Yes, it does, doesn't it? Maybe they'll update the list of props, as that's certainly just as important as pencils. Edit- no, I think they're righthanded because of the shape of the desk, that longer piece is on the right, to support the length of the arm when they're writing. Trying to remember my high school desk. 

The shape of the desk would indicate right hand, yes; in which case the placement of notebooks and pencils is weird. I may be overthinking this of course.

edited August 2017

Well today is international left handers day!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited August 2017

Oh, hey, want insight into what the PAs are doing regarding Genesis 3 items and Genesis 8? Interesting what can be found in New User threads.  Sadly, (not unexpected) things for Genesis 3 are being trickled off.  Although it just makes sense to me, I'd make clothes that fit both Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 to get more sales. I assume it's a lot more work though. But Genesis 3 continues to be what I'm prioritizing, with the exception of utility type products and awesome sale prices on Genesis 8. Speaking of utility, (love this seque)

@EmmaAndJordi did a wonderful job with EJ Ethnic Beauties for Genesis 8 Female(s)  which are MORPHS- no materials included- and so much fun to play with!

I wanted to test the Pin Up Captain for Genesis 3 on Genesis 8, gave it an extreme pose (yeah, that really sexy pose is not my norm, but hey)  and it worked. It's in the sales, I got it for $8.78 which isn't a staggering great deal, but I've had my eye on it and it's very cute, definitely family friendly. (The crochet swimsuit definitely isn't family friendly on the backside, it's a thong.)  I didn't even use the gloves, hat, or shoes (that hat btw is huge.)

The other items which have been linked/showcased before are not discussed (like Voss Hair, Lani Hair, Kylan Hair, Vertigo Ponytail). So, using only Genesis 8 skins and the Ethnic Beauties, I present the following really neat Genesis 8 gals: (and this isn't all of them, just four. I would have loved to use Duffy on ALL of them, as you know, I adore those type of eyebrows!) 

Aunani with Rebekah Materials
    Indira with Duffy Materials
    Juanita with  VYK Raine Materials
    BIllie with Daphne Materials

Juanita is wearing Lingerie Robe Set for Genesis 8 Females

Billie is wearing Dragon Tamer Outfit- LOVE the details!

EJ morphs Gen8 aunani RebekahSkinLABEL.jpg
    686 x 800 - 359K
    EJ morphs Gen8 indira duffy SkinLABEL.jpg
    686 x 800 - 326K
    EJ morphs Gen8 juanita Raine SkinLABEL.jpg
    686 x 800 - 346K
    EJ morphs Gen8 billie DaphneSkinLABEL.jpg
    686 x 800 - 393K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Lovely ladies! 

Has anyone picked up Phryne yet? She's gorgeous and I love her eyebrows. On the wishlist for now, but hoping to get her in the near future.

No, I didn't.  It's good to see more Genesis 3 Females released though. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

O.M.G  ...  Daz got me good today. Two orders, Three new and 15 sale items each. $165 and change between the two. Picked up some things I've been on the fence about, as well as a few I've been wanting for a while. Not sure why, but the Tween Julie pro bundle was under $12. That's less than half what the other pro bundles came to with the 70% off, (on top of my member discount.) Picked up quite a few PC+ items for 60¢ to $1.50, too.

HIghlights of what I bought:

The best deals can be found using the Daz Deals plugin and the %Off filter. And as PC+ items are included, use the Daz Deals "PlatClub Coupon" filter link to not show any PC+ items, or the store's "Only show PC+" checkbox to filter everything else out.

Happy Hunting! laugh

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Lol sounds like you have lots of goodies to try out.  I did pick up AM's Alligator.  I really want the Orestes Hdri's (I have several others wishlisted) but they are just going to have to wait..

Did anyone else get DIM update for Daz Studio 4.9 Pro today?  Anyone know what its supposed to do?  I'm a bit leary of uploading at the moment.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I went two rounds as well @l'adair and swapped something out for the tween Julie bundle at your recommendation.  Now I am staying OFF the shopping section for at least 24 hours unless Michael 8 makes an appearance!

edited August 2017

Lol sounds like you have lots of goodies to try out.  I did pick up AM's Alligator.  I really want the Orestes Hdri's (I have several others wishlisted) but they are just going to have to wait..

Did anyone else get DIM update for Daz Studio 4.9 Pro today?  Anyone know what its supposed to do?  I'm a bit leary of uploading at the moment.

I don't recall what thread, but some people were having trouble with it installing. My DIM update showed up three or four days ago, and it gave me a log error or something, it flashed and froze but then continued. It didn't do an update though.

Speaking of which, apparently Windows did an update for me and now DIM is missing from my bottom taskbar. I go to my files and installed programs to look under Daz, for Install Manager, and it isn't there. Where exactly is DIM in files so i can get it back? How weird!

Post edited by Novica on
  • So, I just wanted to do a little happy dance in front of people who would appreciate it. 

I recently upgraded my 5th generation i5 with 32GB of RAM and a Geforce 750ti 2GB for a 7th generation i7 4.4ghz with 16gb of RAM and a Geforce 1070 with 8 GB of RAM.

I just threw the DAZ version of the kitchen sink at it. A render that comabined some custom planes with shaders, a complete Terradome environment, 5 figures, three of them G3, one G2 and one G1, and the School's Out and the Digitallabs Classroom environments - plus various freebies and other props... 

It is about 75% done at almost 3 hours on the render, using GPU mode. 

I couldn't do the Digitlabs classroom with default textures with 2 Genesis 3 characters before, removing tons of props, and reducing textures, without having it fall back to CPU mode - and on a 24 hour render it wouldn't be to 5000 iterations. 

I suspect I'll find LAMH more useful now too - as well as LIE presets and lots of other nifty utilities I bought for cheap and played around with and gave up on because they just weren't practical to try and use. 

• And of course, at some point, I have the option to add a second 1070/8GB and DSLI these puppies. That won't buy me more memory, but more cuda cores. 

edited August 2017

When dim updates sometimes it doesn't work properly and removes itself. Go to your order history and download the installer again. That just happened to me yesterday as well. According to the thread in the commons there is a new as beta and Genesis 8 male may be released soon

I'm wondering whether to sit on my cart. Funds are limited and I'm really wanting Genesis 8 Male. Granted, the base G8M will be free, but I'm thinking they'll be stuff released with him...

• EtaminEtamin Posts: 126
    L'Adair said:

O.M.G  ...  Daz got me good today. Two orders, Three new and 15 sale items each. $165 and change between the two. Picked up some things I've been on the fence about, as well as a few I've been wanting for a while. Not sure why, but the Tween Julie pro bundle was under $12. That's less than half what the other pro bundles came to with the 70% off, (on top of my member discount.) Picked up quite a few PC+ items for 60¢ to $1.50, too.

HIghlights of what I bought:

The best deals can be found using the Daz Deals plugin and the %Off filter. And as PC+ items are included, use the Daz Deals "PlatClub Coupon" filter link to not show any PC+ items, or the store's "Only show PC+" checkbox to filter everything else out.

Happy Hunting! laugh

L'Adair said:

Thanks, I think!  I picked up Tween Julie also, thanks to your post, and Horse 2 for under $4!  plus a whole lot more.  Weird how some of the bundles were super discounted and others not, but no pattern I could see.

Like I said, thanks, I think, but still made a hole in my pocket! :)

edited August 2017

I used to always buy older content in stores when big sales happened but I find lately I don't use the older content. So I glanced at the stuff in the sale and decided I would hold off to see what happens with gen 8 male  

I hope more pa's update their characters and hairs to be compatible with gen 8. That would certainly mean I am more inclined to pick the characters up

• LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 401

There's a plugin called "Daz Deals"?? What is it and how do i get it?!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited August 2017

Look here for link for your browser. Very useful with a number of tools to make shopping at DAZ more effective.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Excellent sale today!!! The pc items in that category also drop dramatically if you're a PC member. I really want to go back for a second round, but I can't squeeze the extra $20 it would take me out of The Grinch (aka husband) *laughs*

I just checked the change log page, and I see the "current" release is 4.9.4.122. That was the current beta, where they had quickly made a couple of fixes to 117. Now it's the release version, so it shouldn't be a problem. I think they wanted to make sure it was stable before rolling it out as a release. The real development is being done to 4.10.0.x now. (They are up to .60 in the log.)

I downloaded 52 files, @IceDragonArt, (and that's after I hid all the poser files, as I do not have poser.)

I went two rounds as well @l'adair and swapped something out for the tween Julie bundle at your recommendation.  Now I am staying OFF the shopping section for at least 24 hours unless Michael 8 makes an appearance!

Glad I could help. I honestly wasn't sure if the extra discount was intended or not.

Etamin said:
    L'Adair said:

Thanks, I think!  I picked up Tween Julie also, thanks to your post, and Horse 2 for under $4!  plus a whole lot more.  Weird how some of the bundles were super discounted and others not, but no pattern I could see.

Like I said, thanks, I think, but still made a hole in my pocket! :)

I picked up a number of Pro bundles last Fall, so there weren't a lot to choose from today. Might be why I only saw the one with the extra discount. Sorry about the hole in your pocket, but I do believe that's not a unique condition around here...
    laugh

I used to always buy older content in stores when big sales happened but I find lately I don't use the older content. So I glanced at the stuff in the sale and decided I would hold off to see what happens with gen 8 male  

I hope more pa's update their characters and hairs to be compatible with gen 8. That would certainly mean I am more inclined to pick the characters up

With a couple of exceptions, anything for a figure—characters, clothing, hair, etc.—were for G3, which with a bit of work will do nicely for G8, at least those for the ladies, anyway. It's still only a guess that the G8M will be as compatible with G3M as the G8 female is with G3F.

I've created a lot of shape morphs from G3F to G8F, and am still working on adapting clothing per Sickleyield's tutorial. Seems to me it wouldn't be a lot of work for a PA to make clothing, hair, etc., that fits both G3 and G8, and I'll be far more likely to buy those products. Same with characters. Seems like customers who are staying with G3 would be more likely to buy a G3/G8 product, knowing it works with the generation they are still using, but will also work on G8 with no fuss, when they start using G8. Makes it a better investment in my mind.

edited August 2017

Here's some of the prices, and they have different discounts. This is with 3 new things in the cart (tried to go PC+, except for the things I was going to get anyway. I've learned to wait and not buy the first day they come out.)  Oh hey, cool. You CAN copy your cart and not have to type everything out. The first three are the new releases (PC)  This was just testing the cart and seeing what would do what, I did another cart after that to play, then picked from there.

Post edited by Novica on

I've created a lot of shape morphs from G3F to G8F, and am still working on adapting clothing per Sickleyield's tutorial. Seems to me it wouldn't be a lot of work for a PA to make clothing, hair, etc., that fits both G3 and G8, and I'll be far more likely to buy those products. Same with characters. Seems like customers who are staying with G3 would be more likely to buy a G3/G8 product, knowing it works with the generation they are still using, but will also work on G8 with no fuss, when they start using G8. Makes it a better investment in my mind.

Some vendors on Rendo are releasing Genesis 8 female morphs for their characters which I think is great customer service.

I haven't been thrilled with the autofit of Gen3 to Genesis 8 so far. It seems worse than Gen2 to Gen3.

I'm not much of a tweaker. I won't spend hours anymore trying to get stuff to work, or transfer over, mostly because I don't have the time like I used to.

Ah, and looks like a new version of Studio just hit DIM.

Here are a few I found: 

edited August 2017

LOL I still haven't had time to FIND my DIM yet. Here's the first cart I tested, then I combined the two. BTW, I totally agree with you @serenenight- I don't have time to tweak things either. 

I did grab the military outfit, even though we all discussed how weird that belt was. For fantasy/other worlds, with shaders, I think it will look really cool. (Maybe with scales, tiled a lot...could be neat.)  I'm looking mostly at sets, but grabbed some of these clothes as I can kitbash or use the bodysuits under them. Clothes make sense because they can be used on G8F.  Hope this helps!

Post edited by Novica on
    Llynara said:

Here are a few I found: 

Thanks for posting those. I already have them so I wasn't able to catch/ test those particular items. WOW, those are a great deal!!!!

edited August 2017

EEEEEEEEK.   16,000 posts.  SHUT ME UP.  (Edit- heh heh heh- I'm looking at SereneNight, L'Adair, and Llynara's post counts going up too...) 

Post edited by Novica on

LOL, yeah, as far as post counts go, I'm a Novica in training! wink It's too much fun not to share here!

And I'm also a 90% off kind of gal when it comes to sales. That's the sweet spot! LOL

I haven't been thrilled with the autofit of Gen3 to Genesis 8 so far. It seems worse than Gen2 to Gen3.

I'm not much of a tweaker.

Novica said:

BTW, I totally agree with you @serenenight- I don't have time to tweak things either.

It takes only a few minutes, once you've done it a couple of times, to use Sickleyield's method to make G3F wardrobe items work on G8F without using auto-fit. (With the exception of high-heeled footwear) I now load the entire outfit, select all of them and change the ID in one operation. I transfer the rigging one at a time and save each item to an easy to find new location in My Library, where I've got folders for the various products. Compared to fighting with auto-(maybe)fit clothing in the past, it's a breeze.

But... my point was, having done this on a large number of items, I know it's not a huge amount of extra work for the PAs. At the end of a project with countless hours of work, wouldn't it make sense to spend another 30-60 minutes to make it work with G3 as well as G8, and appeal to a larger market?

This discussion has been closed.