Which DAZ Genesis 3 M and F characters are the most realistic?

I'm just curious to hear your opinions and see which Genesis 3 character other people think are the most realistic... no wrong answers.

Comments

• cdpro_2831bbd990cdpro_2831bbd990 Posts: 1,430

Raiya and Mihrelle would be at the top for PAs.  Yet, there are many great characters from other artists.  The bar has really risen in the past year.

Jolina has to be one of the most realistic females I've seen.  George or Dale for males.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited May 2017

I second Raiya and will add that Ophelia - the female figure that just came out recently (a Daz Original) is probably the most realistic female. Elijah of the males is also realistic looking, but super tall for an average human ;). MOST of the Daz Originals of the Genesis 3 line are very realistic looking with a few exceptions, those probably being Dante and Genevieve. There is something funny going on with the eyes there, but it's an easy fix. Throw Saiyaness in there too for realistic looking characters like Dale, Ceridwen, Opal etc :).

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

My vote are for Dale and Stormy LY

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Gwenbleiz, Ivan and Elijah among the men I own, Ophelia and Satine among the women. I like the less realistic ones just fine as well, btw :)

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,846

vyktohria and mousso are also great candidates for great photo-real skins.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I think most daz designed characters are too idealized especially with eye size and mouth and the foreheads and mouths . None of the characters have much realism although some are a treat to look at. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Most, and with minor tweaking, all but Girl7 and Aiko7.

Some of the body shapes look slightly stylised, but even those aren't that much different than what folks can look like - admittedly few do.

The main killer for me with many is that the eyes are too large - that is an easy fix.

• seeker273seeker273 Posts: 449

You should also check out Brahann and Tempesta3D. Ultra realistic with a lot of character!

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,757

Not the smartest thing to ask, but I cringe at teh question, but what are some of the techniques or concerns aimed at making realistic characters.

Photoreal renders, so to speak...

Swap out the skins/materials? 

Tweaks to surfaces, maybe?

Better (portrait) lighting?

Any tips and hints etc,.....

Don't hate me....

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited May 2017

I never even bothered to load the G3 Male into a scene ..until  Ivan came along. 
    I have no use for pretty or "exotic"  male characters.

of course they all fail at realism as soon as you add typical transmapped hair or zoom in on the cartoonish eyes

of most Daz characters

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited May 2017

I don't think it's "cartoonish" as much as humans are hard wired to recognize the human face. A reasonable facsimile has to be nearly perfect for that "uncanny valley" effect to not ruin the deception ;). I have seen close in the 3D world but for that to happen in a hobbyist market will be a long time coming ;). I mean, we only pay a few bucks for our figures. How much do we wanna pay for near-perfect realism? It's getting pretty much close enough for me already. I like realism but I dunno if I really even WANT the total "I can't tell if it's a photo/real person or not" thing. ;) Besides, there's a whole lot more to realism than the perfect figure. There's lighting, cameras, render settings, the render engine itself, shaders - and the list goes on ;)

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on

The lack of exact realism is mostly down to the shaders are still lacking and the way the light modeling algorithms handle them. I mean iRay and all is pretty complex (for me especially as I'm pretty sure I couldn't fathom the mathematics of the engine of the more complex parts) but even a person completely ignorant of the science of iRay & PBR like myself can see that they way they do things are massively simplified, no special mathematics or physics training needed, and to do things correctly would require no textures at all and to make everything modeled as a permiable very complex intertwing solution of physical volumes with a list of properties and modeling how different types of radiation interacted with those volumes in solution. Such a computation intense model is not going to happen even with the most complex and cabable computing machines in human hands. Even the mathematics and physics isn't suffiiently researched enough to create such a environment as a model set. Sort of yucky and complex but immagine for example just a human being modeled in that way and not as a simple painted on cardboard box, it is very complicated for them to do that as I don't even thing they have sufficient research machinery and mathematics to do that sufficiently although I've seen my own computed tomography scans so they could take data from the medical and other professions as a beginning to constructing such a model.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,887

1) Skin

When it comes to skin, I have found NGS Anagenessis invaluable. I often like to tweak it a bit, but it so _incredibly_ enhances the look of skin that I use it on just about every 'realistic' skin I'm working with.
    Mind you, I often find it useful to swap some of the maps back in, like bump, normal, and displacement, but still; it's astonishing what an improvement it often makes even without any tweaking.

2) Hair

The usual transmapped hairs rarely cut it anymore, at least not at medium to close range. Thankfully, the list of fiber-based hairs increases over time, and if LAMH 2 ever rolls around, that should blow the doors off Iray hair.

3) Lighting

OMG, lighting.
    99% of the problems I have with a scene, I'm being dumb with lighting. Contrast, focus, depth, all of these things are enhanced a HUGE amount by intelligent lighting. Remember: posing and character set up is 90% of the work. Lighting is the other 90%...

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,887

As for eyes:

I like to set Corneal bulge to 1.5 (or 150% if using Genesis 3). Really enhances the look. Iris often needs to be shrunk a little to look realistic -- grab a headshot of someone and use it as a guide.

Find a few sets of eyes that look really good to you, and keep tabs on them. If you select the eye surfaces and ctrl-click on your favored materials for eyes, you can change Surfaces: to 'selected' so it only replaces the eye surfaces. That way you can easily apply one texture to the whole figure, select eyes, then apply a different texture set just to the eyes.

People aren't equally good at all things -- a PA making awesome skin textures might just not be all that hot on eye surfaces (or vice versa). mix and match!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I rendered all the Gen3M's that I had, for my Art Studio thread, so it was easy for me to surf through them. For unique characters, I also think of GypsyAngel, and ChevyBabe25

Russell HD for Michael 7

Abel for Genesis 3 Males

FWSA Edgar HD for Michael 7

Merrick for Michael 7  (Just the regular dude. The eyebrows are asymmetrical, nice textures.) 

Raoul for Ivan 7 HD

Sawyer for Genesis 3 Males   Those eyebrows are awesome. Asymmetrical, bushy.

Mace for Genesis 3 Males

To be honest I am not looking to simulate photography
    But the transmapped hair is 1990's poser technology

A daz genesis model looks very realistic ..Bald & naked
    Add a typical Hair piece and  shrink wrapped conforming clothing and it falls apart rather quickly.

Not to start in but randomly looking at the gallery- some images stand out.....

I find it very hard to explain./ It's not realism but like....as if...they use a different rendering engine...if that makes sense...

Something...I can't describe, but I know it when I see it.

"I find it very hard to explain./ It's not realism but like....as if...they use a different rendering engine...if that makes sense...

Something...I can't describe, but I know it when I see it."

Good Depth of field in most of those renders and they appear to have some post "Bloom" added
    nice work.

Also very close attention to high contrast and what not to include in the render.

• boudicaboudica Posts: 13
    edited May 2017
    avxp said:

I find it very hard to explain./ It's not realism but like....as if...they use a different rendering engine...if that makes sense...

That is my picture, it is 100% Iray, the only postwork i did was to use the auto tone, contrast and colour feature in photoshop, because that is as far as my postwork skill goes lol.

Post edited by boudica on

Wow, I would have guessed lots of post- including the rosy streaks on her breast bone...clavicle....thingie...

The skin texture....the little dimple in her nose...and she doesn't have 'joker mouth' which all the new Daz models seems to have.

I guess that look is popular now. the detailing is incredible, I can see her pores.

How come all the models don't have this? Was that all in the figure? Or you had to swap some materials around?

Great stuff.

• boudicaboudica Posts: 13

Its one of mousso's characters, with the eva 7 texture. I used the ngs2 shader with my own tweaks, the rest is down to lighting.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Ivan for the fellas, definitely. I've been using a growing collection of characters created with Skin Builder 3 for the girls since I bought it and have almost forgotten what it is to reach for a store-bought one, but before that my first choice was usually Eva 7. However, she reminds me a lot of someone I used to know, and I think that might have been adding something to my perception of realism that isn't actually there. Karen 7 was another favourite. I seldom rendered black females because I thought those I had were all pretty awful and needed too much messing about with to get them looking anywhere close to believable.

Skin quality can only take you so far though until someone sorts the facial rigging of the figures out. It's not easy getting a realistic smile out of G3. Still, it's an improvement on G2. I often used to use an expression that was supposed to represent 'pain' as a 'laugh' instead because it looked more like one :)

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    edited May 2017

My favorite is Bethany 7.  She may not have quite a high resolution textures as some of the newer models, but sh has become my goto gal for most renders.
    Here's a nice high resolution render at "Rendering Quality" = 1.00 and "Rendering Convergence Ratio" = 100%

Portrait09.png
    1440 x 1920 - 3M
    Post edited by JamesJAB on
  • eaea Posts: 48

You have forgotten one parameter... Gravity, often poses are not realistic because it's impossible (excepted for few body's parts in using some tools) to simulate effects of gravity on flesh and clothes. It would be possible for clothes with a collision tools (as clotilde in C4D). Such tool in DS would be a nice improvement.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Honstly with the huge strides that are being made right now in multi core CPUs, we need calculations for things like muscle, fat, skin elasticity, and gravity when the next geteration of Daz people come out (which will hopefully happen at the same time as Studio 5.0 with lots of new features.) :P

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Think it's been said, but...

https://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/a/halter_tops_popup_3-daz3d.jpg

This image has a lot going for it; two things kill it.

The eyes - not as much as the next item.

The item actually being advertised; it doesn't behave as cloth should. Not the PA's fault; they have to work with the system in Studio.

boudica said:
    avxp said:

That is my picture, it is 100% Iray, the only postwork i did was to use the auto tone, contrast and colour feature in photoshop, because that is as far as my postwork skill goes lol.

And it was the best that I liked. It's very good.

boudica said:
    avxp said:

Sorry but the hair still fails in regards to realism
    the curly wisps down at the jaw are look painted on with photoshop
    I know they were not but they look that way.

• msam921msam921 Posts: 141

Boudica's render may not be 100% photoreal, but I think we can agree it's closer than most of us will ever get.