Iray Ghost Light Kit 2: Render and Support Thread [Commercial]

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858
    edited May 2017

This is a simple portrait to test the inverted dome with a ceiling light, there is a light ball in front with low lumens (112)  Don't know why the forums keep darkening the images, had that problem a few days ago (as did a few other people) in my Art Studio thread.  Anyway, the inverted dome and ceiling lights give a nice glow to the top of the head/hair. Can be subtle to strong rim lighting. I moved the ceiling light back so it's not directly overhead.  The next step would be to increase the ball light which is directly in front of her. (I like testing one thing at a time.)

cailinGhostLightsEXT.png
    462 x 600 - 460K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Novica said:

This is a simple portrait to test the inverted dome with a ceiling light, there is a light ball in front with low lumens (112)  Don't know why the forums keep darkening the images, had that problem a few days ago (as did a few other people) in my Art Studio thread.  Anyway, the inverted dome and ceiling lights give a nice glow to the top of the head/hair. Can be subtle to strong rim lighting. I moved the ceiling light back so it's not directly overhead.  The next step would be to increase the ball light which is directly in front of her. (I like testing one thing at a time.)

This is my second favorite light prop in the whole set. its done a beautiful job of softly lighting her without blowing anything out.  I have a render using this that I will post later, I'm headed to work here shortly but will post after dinner.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    edited May 2017

By knowing how real lighting works and how Iray simulates it? A lot of use were occasionally using primitive planes out of sight for some added light. KA made it simple and way less fiddly with Ghost Lights 1. GL 2 goes way beyond that with the capability, options, and ease.

There a a number of changes available in Photometric lights that pretty well mimic photographic studio lighting, but a lot of people seem to be unaware.

I also think people don't realize that Studio and Iray work a lot more like a camera than an eye. Your eyes give a dynamic range well outside the best cameras/lenses. Active photographers understand this. A typical comment goes like this " My scene is lit by a single 60 watt bulb and the render is really dark. I tried this at home and it's plenty of light for me to see". 

Nyghtfall said:

I questioned the usefulness of the original Ghost Lights when they were released, last year.  After doing some research on lighting and photography, I had a better understanding.  The release of this new set has prompted another question.

I don't imagine Ghost Lights are some kind of industry-wide Iray lighting secret that KA decided to package and sell, so, how did - and do - other artists achieve great lighting without using either set?

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • pdspds Posts: 593
    fastbike1 said:

By knowing how real lighting works and how Iray simulates it? A lot of use were occasionally using primitive planes out of sight for some added light. KA made it simple and way less fiddly with Ghost Lights 1. GL 2 goes way beyond that with the capability, options, and ease.

There a a number of changes available in Photometric lights that pretty well mimic photographic studio lighting, but a lot of people seem to be unaware.

I also think people don't realize that Studio and Iray work a lot more like a camera than an eye. Your eyes give a dynamic range well outside the best cameras/lenses. Active photographers understand this. A typical comment goes like this " My scene is lit by a single 60 watt bulb and the render is really dark. I tried this at home and it's plenty of light for me to see". 

Nyghtfall said:

I questioned the usefulness of the original Ghost Lights when they were released, last year.  After doing some research on lighting and photography, I had a better understanding.  The release of this new set has prompted another question.

I don't imagine Ghost Lights are some kind of industry-wide Iray lighting secret that KA decided to package and sell, so, how did - and do - other artists achieve great lighting without using either set?

I think another factor that some people may be missing is effective use of Tone Mapping to facilitate more efficient (and faster) renders.

• pdspds Posts: 593
    marble said:

I used a rigged figure instead of different props parented to a NULL so that if the end user makes mistakes, they can simply zero out the figure in the properties panel.

Hey KA, congrats on the new GL set. It's in the cart for today. :-)

Couple questions:

Can you elaborate on the whole "rigged figure" thing? I'm still fairly new to all this and when I think of rigged figures, I think of being able to use bones to move parts, like a door that opens or animating/posing figures. I don't understand the use or implications in the context of your product and I'm just trying to expand my knowledge.

Is the flashlight beam focusable?

I'm looking forward to experimenting with this new set on a project I'm working on!

• AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726

Purchased!

I ran across a preset for the mesh lights that dosent seem to be working. The "Apply before..." dosent seem to do anything. Sorry I cant be more helpful or specific right now, Mothers Day beckons.

Hmm, you might have to give me a bit more information. Remember that there is a set of materials and a set of shaders, the shaders are for the modbox. If you let me know some specifics when you're back, i'd be happy to help.

Ok. Heres the issue im having. I load the IGLK-2 light dome inverted or the non inverted dome. I then apply the IGLK2 MB Ghost setup, the one that says "Apply Before Prestes" in the surface area tab. Nothing happens. I then apply the Emmision color, the LED color and the ModBox Intensity. Nothing happens. I have a studio hdri on and my environment is set to dome and scene lights. I preview in the auxilary viewport. All I get is darkness. I might be doing something wrong, but im not certain. There was no documentation in the product package.

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,217
    pds said:
    marble said:

I used a rigged figure instead of different props parented to a NULL so that if the end user makes mistakes, they can simply zero out the figure in the properties panel.

Hey KA, congrats on the new GL set. It's in the cart for today. :-)

Couple questions:

Can you elaborate on the whole "rigged figure" thing? I'm still fairly new to all this and when I think of rigged figures, I think of being able to use bones to move parts, like a door that opens or animating/posing figures. I don't understand the use or implications in the context of your product and I'm just trying to expand my knowledge.

Is the flashlight beam focusable?

I'm looking forward to experimenting with this new set on a project I'm working on!

Hey thanks pds!

Each prop comes with a rigged ghost light rather than a parented prop. The ghost light is a bone, with all of the movement/rotation controls you get with a normal prop. I did this so that the figure can be restored very quickly in the parameters with "restore Figure". Also, both the ghost light materials and prop materials can be edited in one material group.

The flashlight beam isn't focusable, and with it being a meshlight, i'm not entirely sure how i would have been able to do that. I'm not even overly sure how they do it in the real world ... witchcraft perhaps. You can throw a spotlight on the end with and IES maybe? I'd have to test it, but i think that would work out quite well.

The very best of luck with your project, i hope these lights are a handy addition for you.smiley

• AtiAti Posts: 9,078

Purchased!

I ran across a preset for the mesh lights that dosent seem to be working. The "Apply before..." dosent seem to do anything. Sorry I cant be more helpful or specific right now, Mothers Day beckons.

Hmm, you might have to give me a bit more information. Remember that there is a set of materials and a set of shaders, the shaders are for the modbox. If you let me know some specifics when you're back, i'd be happy to help.

Ok. Heres the issue im having. I load the IGLK-2 light dome inverted or the non inverted dome. I then apply the IGLK2 MB Ghost setup, the one that says "Apply Before Prestes" in the surface area tab. Nothing happens. I then apply the Emmision color, the LED color and the ModBox Intensity. Nothing happens. I have a studio hdri on and my environment is set to dome and scene lights. I preview in the auxilary viewport. All I get is darkness. I might be doing something wrong, but im not certain. There was no documentation in the product package.

There's this documentation in the readme: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/43797/43797_iray-ghost-light-kit-2.pdf

Purchased!

Ah ok, i'm understanding the crimescene here. The MB ghost setup or anything in the modbox intensity/modbox MAT folders are strictly for the modbox. If you are using anything other than the modbox, including the domes/light ball, you need to use the standard GLK materials in the GLK Materials folder.

Here is a link to the Documentation.

Ati said:

Purchased!

There's this documentation in the readme: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/43797/43797_iray-ghost-light-kit-2.pdf

Thanks Ati!

Purchased!

Ah ok, i'm understanding the crimescene here. The MB ghost setup or anything in the modbox intensity/modbox MAT folders are strictly for the modbox. If you are using anything other than the modbox, including the domes/light ball, you need to use the standard GLK materials in the GLK Materials folder.

Here is a link to the Documentation.

Ok, so ill just place those items in another folder so that I dont get confused. Cool! Thanks KA.

edited May 2017

Ophelia, rendered with the IGLK-2 Light Dome and iRadiance - Light Probe HDR Lighting for Iray.

Image removed for nudity. Please see this thread for info: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity
    Post edited by fixmypcmike on

Ophelia, rendered with the IGLK-2 Light Dome and iRadiance - Light Probe HDR Lighting for Iray.

Hey great work! Looks like you're getting a handle on it. I haven't grabbed Ophelia yet either, she looks pretty great. smiley

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296

I used the ball in this render to add light to the bird and reflect off the water hoping to give the impression of a setting sun.

scorpio said:

I used the ball in this render to add light to the bird and reflect off the water hoping to give the impression of a setting sun.

This looks great scorpio, well done! I like your DOF work here, i tend to overlook DOF far too much.

• Fantastic!!  Very well done and great use of the set.  Love how this turned out.  :)  What environment set did you use?

scorpio said:

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

One thing I have just discovered. I have been in the habit of adding a photmetric spotlight to bring out the gloss because mesh lighting tends to be matte. What I didn't realise is that spotlights can be set to specularity only in Iray - I thought that would only work with 3Delight. Anyhow, you can get some interesting and realistic effects picking out the specularity without flooding the figure with diffuse light. You do, however, still get shadows so you have to play with the geometry and distance settings to soften the shadows.

marble said:

One thing I have just discovered. I have been in the habit of adding a photmetric spotlight to bring out the gloss because mesh lighting tends to be matte. What I didn't realise is that spotlights can be set to specularity only in Iray - I thought that would only work with 3Delight. Anyhow, you can get some interesting and realistic effects picking out the specularity without flooding the figure with diffuse light. You do, however, still get shadows so you have to play with the geometry and distance settings to soften the shadows.

Does the spec function actually work now? When iray first released, it didn't actually do anything, it was just a standard photometric. I'll have a look later, it would be pretty neat if its functional now, i do miss it from the 3dl days.

marble said:

Does the spec function actually work now? When iray first released, it didn't actually do anything, it was just a standard photometric. I'll have a look later, it would be pretty neat if its functional now, i do miss it from the 3dl days.

Unless I'm imagining things it seems to be working for me. Can't post the image because there's a little too much skin on show.

OK - ignore my previous comments. I just did a test with specular only vs full light and there is no difference. My eyes playing tricks on me, sorry.

marble said:

OK - ignore my previous comments. I just did a test with specular only vs full light and there is no difference. My eyes playing tricks on me, sorry.

Ah ok. I *think* the option needs to remain there for the 3dl renderer, don't quote me on that though.

edited May 2017

So, what my eyes were picking up was a distinct difference in quality between the renders I had been making with an IGLK1 plane and a spotlight vs IGLK2 dome plus IGLK2 lamp prop plus a spotlight. The new image is better in terms of mood and ambience. It takes longer to render but not by so much that I would complain (as in from 10 minutes before to 15 minutes today).

Post edited by marble on
    marble said:

So, what my eyes were picking up was a distinct difference in quality between the renders I had been making with an IGLK1 plane and a spotlight vs IGLK2 dome plus IGLK2 lamp prop plus a spotlight. The new image is better in terms of mood and ambience. It takes longer to render but not by so much that I would complain (as in from 10 minutes before to 15 minutes today).

Well that's some good feedback. When designing IGLK2 i didn't think of pitting it against the first pack, i just put it against other stock lighting sets (mostly environment setups). There's always going to be a bit of a slow down because of the meshlight, but for me it's worth the extra few minutes to extract a better render. I know thats not going to be the case for everybody, especially animators, but i'm simply providing options that's all. Time vs quality is very much down to the end user. 

Oh for animations I just use an IGLK1 plane and the camera headlight with a minimum of props in the scene. I set the render time limit to two minutes which is possible with animations becuase they don't need to render to anything like full convergence.

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318
    edited May 2017

Love this new Set :)

punk.jpg
    500 x 500 - 177K
    Post edited by Twilight76 on

Love this new Set :)

Great work twilight! Glad you're enjoying it.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858
    edited May 2017

Iray Ghost Lights 2 Portrait Tutorial In 13 Steps

For those of you starting out, or who want a portrait quick setup, here's a tutorial to achieve this look It will give you a different color cascading onto the bust and shoulders from above. I'm going to give you the EXACT SETTINGS. Keep in mind Brianna is an African American so you'll need to darken the lights for lighter skinned folks. (I use the Surface pane, not the Ghost Light presets. Sliding sliders gets more specific as the increments of change are much less, aka, not 100) 

My render time: 3 minutes 47 seconds.

Items used in addition to the Ghost Lights 2 (and that is THE ONLY LIGHTS USED) are FW Brianna,   Eliot Hair (Gen3M/F),   Gothic Lolita

Here we go. 
    1. Load your figure World Center and dress him/her. Keep in mind bushy and tall hair will affect how your lights hit the face, mine has tall hair. Shorter hair will put more of the top lighting onto the face. For this tutorial, pick a bushy, tall hair.

2. Apply Fashion Model Pose #9 or something similar. Y Rotate your figure 130.80 and use Front View, shift it slightly so the white "X" on the cube is pointing slightly to your left. (In other words, we're not using dead center for the view, but you can.) 

3. Content Library>Light Presets>Iray Ghost Lights Kit 2>Utility Props>Light Ball. DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER INTO THAT MENU. This is so easy, it's clearly marked- the rest of those options are for the Mod BOX only.  We're  using two Light Balls. So just click and make two balls, don't move them.

4. While we're there in Props, load a Light Dome.

5. Go to Ceiling Lights and load "C"

6.  For ALL of these you'd go to GLK Materials. Your two choices are:
    a.)  Artificial Light Presets (which is Emission Temperature in Surface pane)  (the color of your lights.)
    b.) Intensity Presets (which is Luminance in Surface pane.) (the brightness of the lights).

Now, first notice when you click on GLK presets, you will see the Apply Before Presets! Neither the color of your lights or the brightness will take effect until you click this-BUT- I like to position my red planes (the ghost lights) before I make them disappear. So at this point, you'd be simply loading your lamps, light balls, whatever and putting them where you want them to go. Then click the Apply Before Presets. Let's wait on that so you can see where we're putting our props.

TIP: Once you make them go "poof" you simply select them in Scene and white brackets will show you exactly where they are. Then, click on them with the Surface Selection tool and you'll get a handy gold outline! So then you can move them around easily without having to Debug them to get them to show again!

6. In Scene, right click and rename the first Light Ball "Light Ball Right." In Parameters, with Light Ball Right still selected in the Scene pane, the XYZ coordinates are: -113 / 142 / 112    You'll notice I put this near the front, to the right. Keep the scale the same.

7. In Scene, right click and rename the other one "Light Ball Front." Keep it selected and in Parameters, the XYZ  coordinates for that one are -5.50 / 195 / 135.  Keep the scale the same.

8. In Scene, select Light Dome and those coordinates are Y translation 275.

9. In Scene, pay attention- this is slightly different: select the Ceiling Light and the XYZ coordinates in Parameters are -5.57 / 195.15 / -19.60
    NOW- click on Ceiling Light in Scene pane and open it up to the submenu and select Ghost Light. I move that up to touch the lamp, by default it loads further down. To get my results, that light has to be the same distance!  For Ghost Light, the Y translation is 17.13

10. So now that we have them all in position (yes, we're lighting with a dome, ceiling light, and two light balls!) it's time for you to click them in Scene (hold CTRL and you can do as a group, all at once) then go to the GLK Materials option and Apply Before Presets! to make the red planes disappear. At this point you can use the GLK Materials options to set the color of the light and brightness, I use those as quick click testers then fine tune in Surfaces. 

11. Using Artificial Light Presets, you select each of your lights in Scene pane, then apply your choice. (I didn't test the CNTRL click to do as a group)  I used 6000K  (white) for all except the Light Ball Right. Use 1000K for that one (red.) So you have all the light color done. 

12. To do the light intensity, you will click on each one in Scene pane, then go to Surfaces pane and put these numbers in Luminance. Normally you would still be in the GLK Materials Options and test using Intensity Presets, then fine tune in Surfaces pane.

Light Ball Right: 571.92

Light Ball Front:  1107.66

Light Dome: 193.20

Click GHOST LIGHT under Ceiling Light in Surface Pane: (If you forget and select Ceiling Light, you'd just select LIGHT in the list under Ceiing Light in Surfaces) :  6858.78

13. Now in Render Settings Pane>Tone Mapping- Change the Film ISO first, so it doesn't move the Exposure Value-  
    Film ISO   158.95 but darker down into the 130's gives dramatic lighting. For white skinned people, start with around 135.

Exposure Value: 13.60   EDIT: Use Scene Only. No dome/HDRI influences for this. However, you can do Dome and Scene, and lower your light intensities because you'll have more light, or in Environment in the Render Settings pane, turn down Environment Intensity. (SMALL increments, like 1.0 to  .95, to .90 etc.)

If you want her lighter, you'd LOWER this number. The Burn Highlights and Crush Blacks are both .17 (due to the white striped clothing, to avoid glare I kept the Burn Highlights lower. If you have darker clothes, put that up to .30 to .40 and lower Crush Blacks to about .15) 

BriannaGhostLightsEXT.png
    462 x 600 - 407K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Iray Ghost Lights 2 Portrait Tutorial In 13 Steps

For those of you starting out, or who want a portrait quick setup, here's a tutorial to achieve this look It will give you a different color cascading onto the bust and shoulders from above. I'm going to give you the EXACT SETTINGS. Keep in mind Brianna is an African American so you'll need to darken the lights for lighter skinned folks. (I use the Surface pane, not the Ghost Light presets. Sliding sliders gets more specific as the increments of change are much less, aka, not 100) 

My render time: 3 minutes 47 seconds.

Items used in addition to the Ghost Lights 2 (and that is THE ONLY LIGHTS USED) are FW Brianna,   Eliot Hair (Gen3M/F),   Gothic Lolita

Here we go. 
    1. Load your figure World Center and dress him/her. Keep in mind bushy and tall hair will affect how your lights hit the face, mine has tall hair. Shorter hair will put more of the top lighting onto the face. For this tutorial, pick a bushy, tall hair.

2. Apply Fashion Model Pose #9 or something similar. Y Rotate your figure 130.80 and use Front View, shift it slightly so the white "X" on the cube is pointing slightly to your left. (In other words, we're not using dead center for the view, but you can.) 

3. Content Library>Light Presets>Iray Ghost Lights Kit 2>Utility Props>Light Ball. DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER INTO THAT MENU. This is so easy, it's clearly marked- the rest of those options are for the Mod BOX only.  We're  using two Light Balls. So just click and make two balls, don't move them.

4. While we're there in Props, load a Light Dome.

5. Go to Ceiling Lights and load "C"

6.  For ALL of these you'd go to GLK Materials. Your two choices are:
    a.)  Artificial Light Presets (which is Emission Temperature in Surface pane)  (the color of your lights.)
    b.) Intensity Presets (which is Luminance in Surface pane.) (the brightness of the lights).

Now, first notice when you click on GLK presets, you will see the Apply Before Presets! Neither the color of your lights or the brightness will take effect until you click this-BUT- I like to position my red planes (the ghost lights) before I make them disappear. So at this point, you'd be simply loading your lamps, light balls, whatever and putting them where you want them to go. Then click the Apply Before Presets. Let's wait on that so you can see where we're putting our props.

TIP: Once you make them go "poof" you simply select them in Scene and white brackets will show you exactly where they are. Then, click on them with the Surface Selection tool and you'll get a handy gold outline! So then you can move them around easily without having to Debug them to get them to show again!

6. In Scene, right click and rename the first Light Ball "Light Ball Right." In Parameters, with Light Ball Right still selected in the Scene pane, the XYZ coordinates are: -113 / 142 / 112    You'll notice I put this near the front, to the right. Keep the scale the same.

7. In Scene, right click and rename the other one "Light Ball Front." Keep it selected and in Parameters, the XYZ  coordinates for that one are -5.50 / 195 / 135.  Keep the scale the same.

8. In Scene, select Light Dome and those coordinates are Y translation 275.

9. In Scene, pay attention- this is slightly different: select the Ceiling Light and the XYZ coordinates in Parameters are -5.57 / 195.15 / -19.60
    NOW- click on Ceiling Light in Scene pane and open it up to the submenu and select Ghost Light. I move that up to touch the lamp, by default it loads further down. To get my results, that light has to be the same distance!  For Ghost Light, the Y translation is 17.13

10. So now that we have them all in position (yes, we're lighting with a dome, ceiling light, and two light balls!) it's time for you to click them in Scene (hold CTRL and you can do as a group, all at once) then go to the GLK Materials option and Apply Before Presets! to make the red planes disappear. At this point you can use the GLK Materials options to set the color of the light and brightness, I use those as quick click testers then fine tune in Surfaces. 

11. Using Artificial Light Presets, you select each of your lights in Scene pane, then apply your choice. (I didn't test the CNTRL click to do as a group)  I used 6000K  (white) for all except the Light Ball Right. Use 1000K for that one (red.) So you have all the light color done. 

12. To do the light intensity, you will click on each one in Scene pane, then go to Surfaces pane and put these numbers in Luminance. Normally you would still be in the GLK Materials Options and test using Intensity Presets, then fine tune in Surfaces pane.

Light Ball Right: 571.92

Light Ball Front:  1107.66

Light Dome: 193.20

Click GHOST LIGHT under Ceiling Light in Surface Pane: (If you forget and select Ceiling Light, you'd just select LIGHT in the list under Ceiing Light in Surfaces) :  6858.78

13. Now in Render Settings Pane>Tone Mapping- Change the Film ISO first, so it doesn't move the Exposure Value-  
    Film ISO   158.95, but darker down into the 130's gives dramatic lighting. For white skinned people, start with around 135.
    Exposure Value: 13.60  

If you want her lighter, you'd LOWER this number. The Burn Highlights and Crush Blacks are both .17 (due to the white striped clothing, to avoid glare I kept the Burn Highlights lower. If you have darker clothes, put that up to .30 to .40 and lower Crush Blacks to about .15) 

Very useful Novica, Thank you yes

• pkappeteinpkappetein Posts: 506

Great tutorial.  Going to try it.  

Maybe a short video about it for the total newbies is helpfull too.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,742
    fastbike1 said:

So totally true.  And, of course, the corallary is that the vast majority of photographs that people see (outside of family snapshopts) have benefited from a lot of careful crafting of light on location or in the studio, and then a good bit of postwork or darkroom magic on the back end, so what most people think of as looking "real" is often anything but.  There's something wonderfully ironic in that so many people using DS and Poser seem to get really frustrated when they can't get something with exactly the look they want just by hitting "render", but act like like postwork is an alien creature they'll do anything to avoid... while at the same time, the goal of most photographers and cinematographers these days has become to try to capture something with a median contrast range and color balance that will allow for the most possibilities in Photoshop/AfterEffects/Color Grading after the fact.