The Mac FAQ

Comments

• ElorElor Posts: 691

Speaking of Sonoma: is Daz more stable now on it ? I remember some stability problems after Sonoma's initial release.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,513

Elor said:

Speaking of Sonoma: is Daz more stable now on it ? I remember some stability problems after Sonoma's initial release.

It's still quite unstable 

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

This is again about Cocktail 15.6 made by maintain. They don't have that version for Download anymore. Perhaps that's why they don't answer my emails.
    but all I want to do is run the etc.

do you think it's safe to run the etc. on Monterey 12.7.3 which is the latest version of that OS. do you think it's safe even if Cocktail 15. Six has not been updated for quite a while.

if not, how do I run the etc.? I think there's something I'm supposed to type into terminal. But I feel unsure about using terminal. Perhaps someone could show me what type.
    or is there some other way for me to get this job done?

inquire said:

This is again about Cocktail 15.6 made by maintain. They don't have that version for Download anymore. Perhaps that's why they don't answer my emails.
    but all I want to do is run the etc.

do you think it's safe to run the etc. on Monterey 12.7.3 which is the latest version of that OS. do you think it's safe even if Cocktail 15. Six has not been updated for quite a while.

if not, how do I run the etc.? I think there's something I'm supposed to type into terminal. But I feel unsure about using terminal. Perhaps someone could show me what type.
    or is there some other way for me to get this job done?

Never used Coctail so I cant answer 

Well what I'm asking then is how do I run the etc. for the MOS without Cocktail?
    I think I'd have to type something into the terminal. But I don't know what.

is there someway to get the job done without going to the terminal and also without using Cocktail? How do other people do this?

inquire said:

Well what I'm asking then is how do I run the etc. for the MOS without Cocktail?
    I think I'd have to type something into the terminal. But I don't know what.

is there someway to get the job done without going to the terminal and also without using Cocktail? How do other people do this?I have no idea

I have no idea what the etc. or MOS is?
    /etc is a directory.

edited February 8

MacOS maybe for MOS ?

I never used Cocktail either, but it seems to have the same purpose as Onyx or other software from Titanium-Software (all are free), which is uniting in one place many MacOS tools included in MacOS by default to make accessing them easier (but many of them are, as far as I know, automated tools, running even if you're not using Onyx or Cocktail):

https://titanium-software.fr/en/index.html

Totte said:

Thank you, I'll stay on Ventura then. Hopefully, Daz will improve by the time support for it ends…

Post edited by Elor on
    edited February 8

@Totte: By MOS I meant the Macintosh Operating System. Running the etc. should delete files that build up and don't have to be kept. Cocktail clears log files from the System and User.

Post edited by inquire on

@ Elor: Thanks for the link to Titanium Software. Are you using Onyx? Don't you have to be careful about what version of Onyx works with which version of the Mac OS?

Well, I did go ahead and run Cocktail for Monterey. Seems to work OK. All I used was the pilot part of it which cleans out all the accumulated log files for the Internet the system the user.
    I am a little peaked that no one from maintain ever responded to numerous emails that I sent them.

I've been looking at the Onyx Free app that was suggested. I've never used it. Are there any users of that app? If so, can you give your opinions as to how well it works?

I filled out a couple of surveys from Daz recently, asking why I wasn't buying as much
    the last one had a couple of questions about AI. is it because I'm using AI? What do I think the future of AI is? if I were going to use AI what site would I go to?
    so DAZ3D must be somewhat concerned about what AI may be doing to its sales.

It's installed Onyx on my Mac, but I don't remember the last time I used it: I let MacOS do its job at keeping itself organized and tidy.

And yes, you do need to use the correct version but it's easy to download the correct one (they are all listed on the same page), and, when I tried to launch the Monterey version of Onyx on MacOS Ventura, it refused to launch and just show me an alert message telling me it's not the one for my version of MacOS.

OK thanks. And yes, I saw that. Looking over the ONYX site. They do have everything listed by version.

I've been using Microsoft Teams to join a group. It's been working fine. Now, there's a change. I think I have to sign up for a Microsoft account in order to get it to work. I'm hesitant. Any risks or dangers in signing up for a Microsoft Teams account? This would be on my iPhone actually, but my iPhone is in communication with my computer, so this might pose even more risks.

So, anybody know about Microsoft Teams or what would happen if I got a Microsoft account? 

OK I signed up for a Microsoft teams account and I think that means I can use Microsoft teams now.
    I can also use the account with Microsoft Copilot, which uses GPT four and you can also do AI images from text with it. That's neat.

I am wondering if I can take a render of two characters and get Copilot to do a background AI for it I'll have to ask it if it can do that.

Just asked GPT for or Copilot if he could do that. He said no, but I can probably get some kind of an image done adjust as a background image

• Me again.

I tried reinstalling yet again, and while everything else was installed, Daz Studio and PostgreSQL still haven't been installed, and the helpers aren't still installed. I have no VPN or antivirus installed on my Mac, but something is preventing them, I spoke with Apple on the matter. I tried to give the elevated permissions, and still nothing.  And no questions were asked during installation, not even a pop up on the upper right corner. Should I lower the security?

• SnowSnow Posts: 95

future_boy_f2de9c36c5 said:

Me again.

I tried reinstalling yet again, and while everything else was installed, Daz Studio and PostgreSQL still haven't been installed, and the helpers aren't still installed. I have no VPN or antivirus installed on my Mac, but something is preventing them, I spoke with Apple on the matter. I tried to give the elevated permissions, and still nothing.  And no questions were asked during installation, not even a pop up on the upper right corner. Should I lower the security?

Is the attached file of any help to you? It was for me but it's been ages since I used it.

Good luck!

• Snow said:

Me again.

Is the attached file of any help to you? It was for me but it's been ages since I used it.

Good luck!

Is that a distributable file or something that was given to you by support?

• Snow said:

Me again.

Good luck!

I don't see any file

• Just checking to see how 4.22 has been running on Ventura? I've held off on installing the update at this time because I was worried about the bugs I'd been hearing about. But from my searchs on here and reddit, it sounds like it should run okay on Macs that are using Ventura? 

edited March 25

Another solution is keeping Daz 4.21.0.5 and installing the beta version too: this way, you have the best of both world: keeping Daz 4.21.0.5 if 4.22 is buggy, and having access to a 4.22 version to use whatever require this version.

On Ventura, both seems similarly stables: what will crash one will usually crash the other too.

Post edited by Elor on
  • Thanks for the response and advice. Much appreciated. 

• Totte said:

Elor said:

Any sense of when a stable release might arrive? I can use DS, but the crashes are realy annoying! 

I was at an Apple Store today. I looked at a Mac studio. The tech person told me that Daz studio runs on an Intel Mac and that there isn't an Apple Silicon version. If it runs on an M chip it's because it's running in emulation such as Rosetta is that correct? 

At the Apple Store, the tech person said that the differences between M chips are miniscual. He said the differences between an M3 chip and an M2 chip is very very slight. Is that correct? I asked why there's so much discussion about how much greater the M3 chip is. He said it's because they want you to buy you products. I don't know enough about this to weigh in on it so I'm asking for opinions. 

• Newer chips are faster, but work pretty much the same. Same thing as with other chips—the newer ones in the same category are generally faster, while keeping the same foundations. You're hearing more about M3 chips now because they're newer. 

Yes, but is the difference between an M3 and an M2 very slight? That is what the advisor in the Apple Store told me. He said the differences are exaggerated to get people to buy newer products. Is that the case?

• I'd say the metrics show improvements, but how much those improvements matter is up to your workload. I have an M1 MBP. If I had enough money to upgrade, the only reason I'd consider it would be to upgrade to a Max chip varient and more memory. The only place I'd notice a difference, so far as I can tell, would be in 3D work. Pretty much nothing I do now except for that taxes my computer. By and large, regardless of the computer you use (Mac, PC, Intell, AMD, M series, etc.) I don't think it normally makes sense to upgrade that often unless you really need cutting edge performance because you're dependent on faster processing times. 

• robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 764

inquire said:

I was at an Apple Store today. I looked at a Mac studio. The tech person told me that Daz studio runs on an Intel Mac and that there isn't an Apple Silicon version. If it runs on an M chip it's because it's running in emulation such as Rosetta is that correct? 

The way I understand it, the current version of Daz Studio 4.2x is not native for Apple silicon, and does run through the Rosetta 2 emulation system. But, since Apple silicone M-chips are much faster than Intel chips, an M-series Mac will render Daz Studio scenes much faster (3-4x) than an Intel based Mac.

We'll have to wait and see if the upcoming Daz Studio 5 will run native on Apple silicon.