The Mac FAQ

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,526

bevdog896_d08d9c913a said:

Hey, hey!

Before I update, does Daz 4.22 play well with Sonoma or is it worth waiting a little while longer?

DS does not really play well on macOS 14, yet. 

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,953
    edited November 2023

Hey, hey!

Before I update, does Daz 4.22 play well with Sonoma or is it worth waiting a little while longer?

The genie answered as I typed my answer.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

Any other thoughts about Monterey? I'm using OS 12.7.1, the latest version of Monterey.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,765

Actually, my experience so far is that it has 4.22 is playing better than 4.21. Of course that is not saying much. I still can't get metadata to change things from wardrobe to accessories when someone puts a purse in 'wardrobe/acessory' and you want to clean-up the mess. Or get rid of 'Lost and Found'. I was able to until a crash last spring and now nada. 

inquire said:

Any other thoughts about Monterey? I'm using OS 12.7.1, the latest version of Monterey.

I run  macOS 13.6.1 and macOS 12.7.1 and DS works well. On 14, there are a bunch of crashes with menues, and menues gets stuck, renders weird etc.

edited November 2023

Thank you so much for answering Totte.
    And are the menus OK on 12.7.1?

how about the extra presets that are supplied for genesis nine? do they show up?

Post edited by inquire on

menues are OK, and you mean in the new New scene dialog, yes.

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663

Totte said:

the new templates don't show up for me :( 

Platnumk said:

Totte said:

Did you download and install them correctly?

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663

Totte said:

Platnumk said:

Totte said:

Did you download and install them correctly?

Un-installed & re-installed twice,  still don't show up 

• Totte said:

Hey, hey!

DS does not really play well on macOS 14, yet. 

Okie dokie, thanks for the info. I'll hold off updating :) 

• Phew, went to a new machine with 14.1.1 and installed 4.22.0.1 of Studio.

Not that happy after all. Don't know who to blame. Menus seem to be in general a bit tricky on Sonoma. Have experienced some problems even with native Apps. Hope this gets addressed by Apple ASAP. Had those problems even on my old machine with an earlier version of studio.

What bothers me more is that even some little scripts seem to cause problems. Installed some custom actions for simple Riversoft Art essentials like "Look at me I/II". But whenever I try to apply (and those actions are right under scripts, no submenus) studio just quits without any warning. Really annoying.

Really think about stopping to spend anymore money until DAZ is able to provide a solid Apple Silicon native version of studio. Is that on the roadmay anytime or is that only feasible with studio 5 which I stopped to believe in a long time ago.

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Phew, went to a new machine with 14.1.1 and installed 4.22.0.1 of Studio.

Not that happy after all. Don't know who to blame. Menus seem to be in general a bit tricky on Sonoma. Have experienced some problems even with native Apps. Hope this gets addressed by Apple ASAP. Had those problems even on my old machine with an earlier version of studio.

What bothers me more is that even some little scripts seem to cause problems. Installed some custom actions for simple Riversoft Art essentials like "Look at me I/II". But whenever I try to apply (and those actions are right under scripts, no submenus) studio just quits without any warning. Really annoying.

Really think about stopping to spend anymore money until DAZ is able to provide a solid Apple Silicon native version of studio. Is that on the roadmay anytime or is that only feasible with studio 5 which I stopped to believe in a long time ago.

Yupp, macOS 14 is not playing very nice with Daz Studio at all....  

• ElorElor Posts: 716

Rod Wise Driggo said:

I'm still on Ventura with Daz 4.21.0.5 and this kind of problems happens regurlarly and like you said, I have no way to know if Daz will crash or not. Usually, after relaunching Daz and reloading the scene, the same script should work (some scripts are more prone to this behavior than others but I think most scripts at least crashed once).

To make matter worse, nothing is recorded in the log file.

• Elor said:

Rod Wise Driggo said:

I'm still on Ventura with Daz 4.21.0.5 and this kind of problems happens regurlarly and like you said, I have no way to know if Daz will crash or not. Usually, after relaunching Daz and reloading the scene, the same script should work (some scripts are more prone to this behavior than others but I think most scripts at least crashed once).

To make matter worse, nothing is recorded in the log file.

Well, my former setup was quite OK. Did not have regular crashes. Then came Sonoma and the menus became a problem. Navigate to quickly with nested menus and boom. But at least scripts did work. Now with 4.22 it is more miss than hit which is quite frustrating.

I had two Win 10 set-ups with 1080 or a 1080Ti card and a MacBookPro M1 w/Sonoma and issues with the Win 10s not being up to the job so often for more and more work on DAZ and the constant crashes of DAZ and DIM on the Mac was spoiling my joy of Daz Studio. So during the Black Friday sales I bought an ASUS ROG Strix Laptop Win 11, with a RTX-4090, 64 Ram. I can't locate the VRam. It was open box and on sale because of that even before the Black Friday sale. It is behaving pretty nice so far. At my age, it may be the last computer I buy.

I bought an open box laptop in 2018 from MicroCenter and it is still going strong for my flatmate, so I trust them. 

The VRAM amount is a bit hidden. I went on Asus ROG website and I had to check the tech specs page of one of their laptop with a RTX 4090 to finally see how much VRAM a mobile RTX 4090 had: it should have 16 GB of VRAM.

Yeah, I got curious and Googled it. What a weird way to hide it. And I just got an email which offered that free game with the purchase that I have no interest in. But it's so fast I am freaked out sometimes. Still uploading from my DIM zip files. Takes long to pick and choose when the files are in SKU sequence.

I suppose they are hidding it because it's 8 GB less than a desktop 4090, but yes, it's weird: it's still the most powerful GPU someone can get in a notebook.

Well, I guess now its time for plenty of happy rendering sessions smiley

I have a question about using Daz Studio 4.21.0.5 alongside the latest Daz Studio 4.22 Public Beta. I'm using Mac OS Ventura, with the latest available update for it.

If I'm launching the Beta after using the 4.21 version, MacOS is asking me if I want to grant access to my Documents folder to Daz Studio. And when I do the opposite (launching Daz 4.21 after using the Public Beta), MacOS will ask me the exact the same thing. Is there a way to allow both versions once and for all ?

Elor said:

I have a question about using Daz Studio 4.21.0.5 alongside the latest Daz Studio 4.22 Public Beta. I'm using Mac OS Ventura, with the latest available update for it.

If I'm launching the Beta after using the 4.21 version, MacOS is asking me if I want to grant access to my Documents folder to Daz Studio. And when I do the opposite (launching Daz 4.21 after using the Public Beta), MacOS will ask me the exact the same thing. Is there a way to allow both versions once and for all ?

It will only ask once per program (until you update) for each of the restricted folders you want to acess (shared devices, desktop, user files). This is part of Apples Gatekeper Privacy and Integrity (and if you don't want it to ask, open your System Config, go to Privacy and Integrity, Select full access item and drag your DS icons to the list. Then you only have to do that once, until you install a new version, which resets the gatekeeper database entry for DS  as the new software gets a new unique ID.

I know about Gatekeeper, and sorry if my message wasn't more clear, but it's not asking just once (which I would have no problem with): the question is asked every time I switch from one version to the other. I just redid the test right now, without any update for either version.

• Loading Daz 4.21 after quitting Daz 4.21: no question asked.
    • Loading Daz Beta 4.22 after quitting Daz Beta 4.22: no question asked.
    • Loading Daz 4.21 after quitting Daz Beta 4.22: question asked.
    • Loading Daz Beta 4.22 after quitting Daz 4.21: question asked.

I didn't try to give Daz full access to my disk because I don't want to.

Elor said:

I know about Gatekeeper, and sorry if my message wasn't more clear, but it's not asking just once (which I would have no problem with): the question is asked every time I switch from one version to the other. I just redid the test right now, without any update for either version.

• Loading Daz 4.21 after quitting Daz 4.21: no question asked.
    • Loading Daz Beta 4.22 after quitting Daz Beta 4.22: no question asked.
    • Loading Daz 4.21 after quitting Daz Beta 4.22: question asked.
    • Loading Daz Beta 4.22 after quitting Daz 4.21: question asked.

I didn't try to give Daz full access to my disk because I don't want to.

Yes, of course it asks for every version as it is  new binary (new checksum), nothing Daz can do anything about as it's Apples privacy and Integrity. It will keep asking. 

• cheardcheard Posts: 49

I’m running Studio 4.22 on an M1 Mac with OS Ventura 13.6.2. I’ve installed Measure Metrics … but I don’t see it as an option in Window > Panes (Tabs). Anybody know why this might be?

cheard said:

I’m running Studio 4.22 on an M1 Mac with OS Ventura 13.6.2. I’ve installed Measure Metrics … but I don’t see it as an option in Window > Panes (Tabs). Anybody know why this might be?C

Create->New Measure Metric, but check that you have filled in the serial number in Hep->About Installed Plugins  

• cheardcheard Posts: 49

Ah, the serial number was missing! Thank you for that.

Do the G9 characters use more computer memory or resources than do the  G1, G3 or G8? I find that it's sometimes harder to pose and make slight changes to poses when working with the G9s. Just wondering if it's due to the G9s using more resources or if I'm doing something wrong.

When you load one of the newer characters, check the mesh resolution immediately. Some, not all, load at 3 or 4, which will bog down any computer. I change it down to 1 or 2 until I am ready to render (and try to remember to change it back). Also keep an eye on the type of hair you are using as well. I keep the scene info tab open and docked because of that. It is too easy to overload a scene now.

OK. Thanks. But there's still something else. Maybe I should start over with a new scene.

I would check clothes too: I have a couple of Genesis 9 outfits that'll load with items with a high SubD value.

What's happening? I just ran into a couple of big problems with DAZ today. Here's the ticket I submitted to Technical Support: 

"I can log in to DAZ Studio. But if I try to log in to the DIM, it says the account can't be verified. I've put my password in a number of times. I do know my password. The DIM won't take it. Also, I tried to buy poses with PayPal. An email from PayPal says they paid "$27.99 to DAZ Productions Inc." But at the DAZ site, it says the transaction is taking a lot longer to process, and to contact support for assistance. I recently let my DAZ Plus membership lapse. Is that what is causing the trouble? But I thought I could still purchase products and log in to DIM in order to download products. I'm using a Macintosh computer with OS 12.7.2  (Monterey)."

Should I try to cancel the transaction through PayPal? I don't want to cancel it. But how long will it take Support to get onto this problem?

Also, this is the first time I haven't been able to log in with DIM. I am using the latest version of DIM.