MimicMolly's Renders & WIPs

Comments

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114
    edited June 2018

@Worlds_Edge I mean creating a makeup .png and saving it as a material preset so I can use it on other characters. I don't remember what I did to save the Aiko 5 makeup. >_<;

Post edited by MimicMolly on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Oh creating the make up yourself, got it.  Thanks :)

edited July 2018

I finally got Altern8 - Skin Shader System for G8 in these 4th of July sales. It wasn't an instabuy for me because most of the product previews the skins looked way too pale for my tastes. However, that's not the shaders' fault. It's the character artists' fault because their character mats are too pale, even for some of the more "tanned" characters. This means I should really only buy human characters for their shapes, not their skin since everyone practically uses the same skin. (Basically, I should just stick to buying morph-only products which is what I have been doing.) 

What makes this shader so great is that it does indeed speed up render times. There are a lot of different options which I have to figure out which look best for other characters. Here is a test render using Mousso's Joanna G3F/G8F texture on my dialspun avatar character. Sadly, I don't remember which settings I used. I know it was defintely one of the Olympia settings. And then I used the Ultra Detailed Displacement Maps for Genesis 3 Base Female to add more "realism" to it because I didn't feel like using HD. (It was increased to 4.)

DAZ Gallery link [x].

As for hair, it's the Miranda Hair for G3F and G8F but swapped out with textures from the Waterfalls Tails Stylized Hair for G3F. Unlike most other hairs, these mats are complete and can be manually added to other hairs, which is one more reason that I love this hairset. 

Untitled1.jpg
    1170 x 1350 - 572K
    edited July 2018

Another render with my character, joined by Joanna G8F herself. Joanna's outfit is a freebie Ghost in the Shell cosplay by SquarePeg3D available at Renderosity.

Untitled4.jpg
    1000 x 1150 - 363K
    edited July 2018

Okay, so I decided to try making one of my illustrated characters on G8F because I need a drawing reference. Her name is Lily. She is pear-shaped so Edie was the perfect base for her body. Her feet are actually the beast feet from HFS' creature shapes and Miriam's feet neutralizing morph as negative. Lily's hands are also monstrous/beast-like but I just wanted her knuckles to be more prominent. Since Lily is meant to be olive-complected with whitish hair, I tried to use the Olympia 8 skin on her. I still need to figure out how to give her good nails because they look awful to me in this render. 

Her face is also a bit round like V4 except that this is G8F and I had to use various morphs that I don't remember + round face morph. And I decided to use HD morphs on her. (Edie for the body and Stephanie for the face...though she would've looked better with a slightly more wrinked face but close-enough.) I know I have to play around with the skin settings some more or find a better olive-complected skin, because in this skin her lips are too red. That's why I made them render glossier so it could look more like lipgloss she had applied. Her shape is perfect as it is.

Credits:

Untitled4.jpg
    1639 x 1675 - 360K
    LilyFace.jpg
    942 x 1150 - 862K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I really like the body shape on Lily.  Olive toned skin is really hard to find.  I think she looks great.

I also really like your sci fi render, very cool

I really like the body shape on Lily.  Olive toned skin is really hard to find.  I think she looks great.

I also really like your sci fi render, very cool

I was going to screenshot all the morphs I used for Lily but they were too many. XD However, the "named" character body morphs I used where:

• Edie 8 - 40%
    • bluejaunte's Miriam - 17.6 %
    • Minto Young - 28.3%
    • Stephanie 8 - 50%
    • Pear Figure - 24.6%

I need to figure out the right settings for her skin and her eyes too. I should've inscreased the bumps for more detail or used those displacement maps but I thought they would interfere with the HD. There was another skin I wanted to use but it was too dark and rosy.

For the sci-fi, thank you. I'm still trying to figure out lights in Iray. I keep wanting to treat them like the 3Delight lights I used to use. >_< Changing the colors and intensity, while not touching the lumens because I still don't know what that or any of the other Iray settings are. XD

edited July 2018

I forgot to post the cropped pics from the clay Lily render for the hand and feet. This was the type of detail that I want in my characters when I want to make them more "realistic". It's still so weird that I had to resort to monster morphs for this.

I'm still on the fence about Aurore for Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 Female. I love the way her HD morphs look like (would've been perfect for Lily and my other girls) but at the same time, I have Gwennili and the first Tara; all their skins look the same to me. I thought about the brows and piercings too, but I don't usually render characters with piercings. Hopefully, I'll see reviews of her later to make up my mind.

Untitled4.jpg
    1021 x 691 - 73K

The lumens are basically the intensity of the lights.  I usually use watts for indoors and the one that starts with a k not c for outdoors.  I know its confusing, I had a really hard time transferring to Iray lighting from 3Delight myself.  3 Delight was much easier for me to understand.

@Fishtales thank you for the reference.
    edited July 2018

Quick render of products I purchased today. 

This one is post-worked in GIMP. I was hoping the lighting would be different, since the containment zone looked illuminated in the promos, but I guess the lights came from the floor and I had to fill that with water. Instead, the lighting in the original render made it look like automatic flash photography, so with that in mind, I tried to give the render a "vintage" look  like those D&G ads.

Untitled4.jpg
    1150 x 1405 - 626K
    edited July 2018

I had actually rendered this yesterday, but didn't have time to post it until now. It was intended to be another render with the Containment Zone and The Major for G8F autofitted to G8M. He is using Phoenix1966's Jesse skin with Altern8 shaders and a slight golden tint to the base color. His hair is Hikari Hair for G2F. No postwork, except shrinking this render.

More or less a brooding cyborg that's also like a Ken doll but possibly deadly in some way. At least that is what I tried to portray.

The character is one of my dial-spins named "Hopper", originally a 2D character. (A bust sketch of him was posted ealier in the thread.) He is intended to be a male pinup in a similar vein to The Girl. At least, that is the best way to describe him or other similar toon boy characters. He was one of the reasons Potono was an insta-buy. Though this shape is a WIP, he uses Potono's head morph at 24%. I really need a Gianni-type male, Ronen is a single morph so I cannot save Hopper as a head and body preset.

Untitled4.jpg
    975 x 1580 - 588K
    edited July 2018

Here is Hopper but this time as a render with Default settings. I know I should've used another skin because it looks too "detailed" for this toony boy.

My only complaint is that I need to find (or look through my morph collection) if I have something for round eyes. They need to be round otherwise he looks sad.

HopperDefault.jpg
    1100 x 1780 - 552K
    HopperFace.jpg
    950 x 1160 - 562K
    edited July 2018

Speaking of sad, here is a sad attempt at texturing the dForce Yoshino Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s) make it into a Hatsune Miku-inspired cosplay. The hair is the Long Pigtail Anime Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s). Both available in the Sakura 8 Pro Bundle.

Except for the shoes, socks and undergarments (colored with Sakura 8's Ivory Garange Kit shader), everything else was painted in Sculptris, so I could at least get an idea of how and were everything should be. I have no idea what happened with the collar. It was supposed to have an edge, as seen here on a screenshot of Sculptris. I like it enough to clean it up more with GIMP and hopefully make it into a usable texture preset for this outfit. I was thinking about making a SeeU variant too, but Miku is more recognizable.

MikuWIP.jpg
    1150 x 1488 - 563K
    Untitled4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 208K

Honestly a pretty good attempt!

@IceDragonArt Thank you. I plan on cleaning these rough textures up tomorrow, now that downloaded the proper texture templates from my product library.

I still need to learn how to texture with Blender. (None of the tutorials I found were of any help.) It's probably the only the only way I'll be able to texture objects and figures across seams.

But then, I'm not much of a techy person. The only 3D programs I can use easily are DAZ Studio and Sculptris. For the latter, I can't roughly texture G3 UVs with it.

edited July 2018

A late start because I was busy this afternoon, but I redid the textures with GIMP, using both the rough Sculptris texture and the templates. This is the base color (I think that's what it's called in 3Delight it's "Diffuse") with these new textures applied. Strangely, the default mats the outfit comes with, the skirt and the belt are separate even though the templates themselves have them on the same texture file.

The model shown is default G8F.

MikuWIP.jpg
    1000 x 1221 - 503K
    edited July 2018

I'm so glad I waited a bit to buy Luc for Genesis 8 Male because I got two BadKittehCo products for cheap with him. He's like the perfect mix of semi-toon and easily pairs well with Aiko 8 and The Girl 8, IMHO. Thank you Marcius!

Anyway, here is Luc (with just different eye textures) wearing Exoline Boots and Accessories for Genesis 8 Female(s) and Silmefea for Genesis 2 Female(s). Along with a G8F who is 50% Aiko 8 and 50% The Girl 8, with 25% Monique 8 head, and a few nose wide morphs at around 25%. Her skin is from Benita and she is wearing the same. However, the Exoline stuff didn't want to autofit well on Luc. His boots had poke-through (so I made his feet invisible) and the kitty hat wasn't posable because the autofit destoyed all of its bones (I was able to make it longer and added dForce to it). As a result, he is now a Scottish Fold. And to complete the composition, they're both in the Containment Hallway and obviously could not be contained.

Here is a bonus render of them using the Modern Dance Troupe Poses for Genesis 8. Due to some poke-thru, the only post work I did for both renders was fixing that up.

Luc_MoAikoGirl.png
    1000 x 1294 - 3M
    DigitalDancers.png
    1000 x 1221 - 2M
    edited July 2018

I really wish a lot of these more custom sculpted characters in the shop came with clay renders to show off their shapes. Because I can, these are all the toon/anime G8Ms I have in my library:

All four are totally different from each other. I don't have D.Master's Billy or Marcius' other guy, Michel, but I'm confident that both are totally different from each other too. Default G8M and a mix of all four stylized shapes thrown in as a bonus too.

AnimeBoys.jpg
    1617 x 1314 - 269K
    edited July 2018

Here is the mix of all four anime boys' head with Ollie's body at 100%. He is using Potono's skin with Altern8, PHX Jesse's Adam's Apple morph, and Lucas 8's HD.

He is wearing G3M's basic wear briefs and Pure Hair: Space.for Genesis. I had tested what this morph looks like without Ollie 8. Basically, a very cute little boy face. Ollie 8 makes him look more like a teen/young adult. Though I'm sure this is just Ollie himself back when he was a kid. XD

AnimeBoy.jpg
    1000 x 1221 - 445K

Love the dance moves!

Interesting mix with the toons, I like the way he turned out.

edited August 2018

A while back, I was on the fence about getting X-Morphs but I stumbled upon this mini-tutorial that helped me split the characters' head more cleanly. I had originally used this other tutorial by a-sennov on deviantART, to transfer the characters to G8F. This is Joanne G3F by Freja, from Renderosity, who had a very uniquely-sculpted head. Obviously, half-A pose is G8F and half-T pose is G3F. The outfit is Fantasy Ornaments by Aeon Soul and Cat Hair by Valea.

Joannes.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 427K

For X-Morphs, I only wanted to transfer the heads so using these free methods is probably the best choice for me. Most of my characters are human and their bodies can be recreated fairly easily with the body morphs I own.

edited August 2018

This render is intended to be a Botan HD for Genesis 8 Female and Naia HD for Genesis 8 Female "swap". By this, I mean, I put Naia's textures and monster morphs on Botan, and used Botan's skin and eyebrows on Naia. I did several test renders and this was the penultimate one. During the last render, which seemed perfect (had a different background and slightly different textures), DS suddely crashed like 18 minutes into the render and it wasn't salvageable.

Mer!Botan has the Reinoa Hair and dForce Femme Fatale Dress for Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 Female(s), as well as creature morphs to her hands and feet. Naia is wearing Bella Hair, Rhomb Suit for Genesis 3 Female(s), the bracers from Freya, and Bootleggers 2 - Double Trouble for Genesis 8 Female(s). Botan's and Naia's outfits both ahd random shaders applied to them. 

Naia_Botan.jpg
    1175 x 1935 - 433K
    edited August 2018

Finally, I rendered again Botan but this time as her usual self but acompanied by a character I created with FaceGen Artist Pro (the second face). Botan has the Portia Hair 2 and Imelda Outfit. Her shoes are from the Blazer and Skiny Jeans Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s) because I wasn't able to properly fit the original Imelda shoes. :( As for the companion, he's a G8M with the Armani Hair, Legends Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s), and the shoes are from dForce Onyx Goth Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s). Botan has an Edie 8 pose and G8M has an Ollie 8 pose, and the microphone comes with the Imelda outfit. Postworked slightly with GIMP, wanted to give it a bit more of a vintage feel.

P.S. Botan is sad because I didn't render her as a monster. ;D

Sample.png
    1250 x 1525 - 4M
    edited August 2018

Okay, now for the guy. He was a random experiment I did on FaceGen and the fact I'm too lazy to convert SAV's Adonis for M4 all the way up to G8, main reason he's like perpetually wishlisted. I don't remember where I had seen this comparison, but someone said that the celebrity Adonis is based on, Adam Lambert, sort of looks like Elvis Presley. Being a smart-cookie, I took a photo of Lambert and one of Presley and combined them on MorphThing.com (site seems abandoned now). And got this result, which is what I used for the front-facing pic on FaceGen. Then one side was of Lambert and the ither of Presley.

Here is an "untextured" render of the character. 

Finally, the character texture that was generated plus various other ones that were similar. I used the OnFleek for Genesis 8 Female(s) eyebrows.

Untitled.jpg
    600 x 800 - 76K
    Untextred.jpg
    2500 x 3048 - 5M
    SceneBoy.png
    1250 x 1524 - 3M
    edited August 2018

Here is one of the first proper renders I did of this character. The only problem I had with him was that the first face, shown here, was too round. I re-did it and made him slightly thinner, so it could be much easier to mix. I ended up picking Vini's texture for him, because it just matches him better. Not sure if anyone wants this head morph. I cannot give away the original skin because I used the Growing Up adult skin for him.

I forgot to postwork this before I uploaded it, but I cannot be bothered. It's not too noticable unless you really look for it. XD

LatenessOfTheHour.png
    1250 x 1524 - 4M
    edited August 2018

I haven't even downloaded all the stuff I got with Zelara 8 (that limited-time coupon that granted an additional discount to new items made me pull the trigger, so to speak) and I got Toon Dwyane 8 too. XD

I admit, I was put-off by his shape. Not something I need, but I actually loved all of the other items in the Pro Bundle, including the add-on characters (Boris and Brandon are gorgeous.) So this was actually a good deal for me. He doesn't come with anatomical elements (neither did Sakura 8) but that's okay, I got them from Darius 8, Owen 8, and Ollie 8. I don't render them much anyway, so I don't mind. From playing around a bit with him, I actually like his skin. It matches Sakura 8 so well. I did use Altern8 but only to adjust the translucency strength and the transmitted strengh, so they could be equal.

Here he is with Sakura for comparison. Their hairs are from the Genesis Sam and Sadie back. His outfit is Effortless Cool for Genesis (my go-to outfit) and Sakura is wearing Summer Casuals Fitted Sundress with the hat and bag parented to her. Her shoes are from Cuban Diabolo for Genesis which is from the Classics Bundle for Genesis and they autofit perfectly.

I still don't like his shape very much. Especially his pointy nipples because of the awkward distortions. But then, I rarely use Sakura's head shape (I use her other morphs for just about any G8F character, to me she is still a must-have), so it doesn't bother me. Here, I just rounded her face some, tweaked her eyes and widened her nose, so she could look more appealing.

Untitled4.jpg
    1000 x 1450 - 279K