MimicMolly's Renders & WIPs

Comments

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
    edited November 2019

Jenni 8! Surprisingly, she was very appealing to me. I guess it's because I needed a female character that was roughly Vladimir 8's age, to pair him up with. I really need to render them together. Here is a render I did earlier today, also available at the DAZ Galleries [x].

Uncredited because they're freebies are SquarePeg3D's Amazon Outfit for G8F (the axe) and CCox's Leina Outfit for G8F (the arm). Both of these are cosplays. Then the dForce Wide Leg Pants for G8F. But you can barely see it. The textures are from Scultural Genesis G8 by Canary 3D.

Untitled2.jpg
    1400 x 1120 - 400K
    Post edited by MimicMolly on
    edited November 2019

Yesterday, I finally rendered Gilrundi, a character I had been meaning to get for a while. She's one of my fastest rendering G8Fs to date! I'll definetly be browing through TwiztedMetal's catalog. I was also waiting for the dForce ChicXlook Outfit to come on sale or discounted. One of my characters has a hat like that. So this was just me trying things out. DAZ Galleries link [x].

I like the way her eyes' emissive turned out in this render. I had no idea they'd look so round, which adds to the "creepy factor", which I like from this. XD

I've mentioned this before, but I like to mix fantasy and scifi with modern/contemporary. Which is defintely a problem for my wallet and storage space since that just makes me want to buy anything that catches my eye or "I promise I'll retexture this later. The construction of this outfit is unlike anything else I've purchased". Which was why I wanted ChicXlook.

Untitled2.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 192K
    edited November 2019

I took advantage of the Steam sale and upgraded my 3DCoat license. Right now, I'm trying to make other Bardot Outfit textures. This time, it's a random kaleidoscope texture that looks like a sunflower. I might redo the elastic on the skirt only because it has too much of the orange. Though the most important for this, is figuring out how to make nice normal maps. I want them and the bump maps to look like fabric. Mostly because these base/diffuse maps I'll be making will be flat.

I feel as if I should just print out the UVs, draw my own designs on them, scan this drawing, and use that as the Base map. I was just never good at drawing digitally. To me, it doesn't compare to drawing something on paper. Though, I feel I should do this for a character instead; like what HellboySoto did with Maxx

Untitled3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 426K
    edited November 2019

Unlike other artists here, my hands are still functional when it comes to drawing. (Thank God.) What happens is that a combination of various IRL things are killing my desire to draw my own proper illustrations. This is where DAZ Studio comes in. With it, I satisfy my desire to illustrate. Meanwhile my desire to draw is satisfied with random little doodles on scraps of paper. But, if I draw a design on a paper that's overlaid on a UV printout, it becomes more satisfying. 

I'm also trying to make shaping morphs for the Renardeau Outfit for G8F. It was the only thing I liked from the Teen Jane 8 Bundle, besides Teen Jane 8 herself. Unfortunately, it didn't come with any shaping morphs which was a shame, because I can imagine so many cute critter plushie designs that would make the backpack way more versatile. I will redo these morphs, not too happy with these but you get the idea of what I want to do. Here is a side-by-side comparison of the difference. I need to figure out how to make floppy puppy ears and small round bear ears.

Default:

Rounded head and bigger eyes:

I also want to do something with the tail. It has no movement morphs or bones. Hopefully, I can stay focused on this backpack project and do it. But then, I like this backpack and from my experience, nobody else cares for it much. Still, my own need to use this will probably overwrite any type of discouragement of feeling like I'm doing too much work for something that nobody else cares about.

Untitled2.jpg
    1284 x 886 - 202K
    Untitled3.jpg
    1284 x 886 - 203K
    edited December 2019

This was a simple test render of chriscox's Jessica Rabbit Dress for G8F (link to Freebie thread). 

Jessica Rabbit lookalike is 50% The Girl 8 and 50% Fane (with Fane Hair). The skin is Tara 2's skin and the gloves are from ArtemisX for Genesis but I copied the same dress materials and used them on the gloves to color them purple. The shoes are from the Stylish Zipper Dress by Pretty3D at Renderosity but colored the same as the dress.

Now I need to find a Roger Rabbit lookalike so she could chill with her husband.

Untitled2.jpg
    1213 x 2000 - 423K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

This was a simple test render of chriscox's Jessica Rabbit Dress for G8F (link to Freebie thread). 

Jessica Rabbit lookalike is 50% The Girl 8 and 50% Fane (with Fane Hair). The skin is Tara 2's skin and the gloves are from ArtemisX for Genesis but I copied the same dress materials and used them on the gloves to color them purple. The shoes are from the Stylish Zipper Dress by Pretty3D at Renderosity but colored the same as the dress.

Now I need to find a Roger Rabbit lookalike so she could chill with her husband.

That's good. I wonder if they'll ever re-do that movie but as a mix of real & Pixar type 3D?

That's good. I wonder if they'll ever re-do that movie but as a mix of real & Pixar type 3D?

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried it. It wouldn't be the same though. The original movie was a massive crossover and artistic collab. It might be tricky to recreate it in a tasteful way, IMHO.

edited December 2019

I don't want to derail the Bluejaunte Nadya HD thread but I was inspired by this comment to use a bluejaunte skin on The Brute 8. (I used Miriam's skin in this case.) DAZ Galleries link [x].

I agree that The Brute isn't brutish at all, and that's exactly why I like him. He's my second favorite G8M base, narrowly beaten by Darius 8.

EDIT: This is The Brute 8 dialed at 100%. But with Vladimir 8's HD dialed in, so that kind of makes him look like a mix. 

Untitled2.jpg
    1150 x 1490 - 502K

Speaking of HDs, there was this Holiday offer of getting $30 worth of DAZ O's for free. While I was tempted to pick up a couple of wishlist items, the ones I wanted never added up to exactly $30. All my combinations were about $1 or $2 total check out prices. Wanting to save money because 3DCoat on Black Friday took a huge chunk out of my 3D/hobby funds, I decided to pick up Nix 8's HD Add-On. I need a detailed HD of a younger man. His and Lee 8's look like the best. Lucas 8's, Sanjay 8's, and Michael 8's HDs barely do anything. Hopefully, I'll have some time later this week to do something with Nix 8's HD.

I'm still disappointed that not enough monsters were made out of Nix or that heavily used his spine.

edited December 2019

So I've tested Nix 8 HD Add-On and the first thing I decide to make is a sillypost render. I think it's tasteful enough for the DAZ Galleries [x].

InTheFlesh's DMC Vergil for G8M in a [quickly re-textured] Pikachu onesie. 

It is based off this in-game screenshot of this edgy little boy saying this to the player character in Sword & Shield.

TheChallenger.jpg
    1156 x 1500 - 447K
    edited December 2019

There was another thread a while back where a customer said that they also wished to purchase Aeon Soul's Alice. In such threads, I have always wondered why some users don't set aside one day to recreate a desired shape with all the morphs they own. I did this a while back when I attempted to make Alice for myself, and I have done it again because someone mentioned the lame excuse, "What about a male version?"

I had originally tried to do a FaceGen version but the eyes were distorted in the morph. Instead, I lined up G8M with the G8F with the "Alice" head shape, which I had tweaked and made a male. DAZ Galleries link [x].

What I don't like with this attempt is the skin of choice. Should've been "smooth and blemish free" like the female version so they'd truly be equals. I will see if I can re-render him again. She is still using the Davinia skin, except I applied Maxx's skin shaders on her and that's why she doesn't look kinda grayish/corpse-like.

Untitled.jpg
    1080 x 1400 - 468K
    edited December 2019

I have re-rendered his head shape with Potono's skin and he looks so much better.

MaleAlice.jpg
    1150 x 1491 - 1M
    edited December 2019

This was meant to be another quick but better attempt to render the male!Alice, that I let run while I was reading up a CE course. But I liked how it turned out too, so I posted it in the DAZ Galleries [x].

The skin is InTheFlesh's DMC V for G8M, with DMC Vergil for G8M's eyes. The hair is the dForce Mohawk that comes free with the strand-based hair starter essentials??? (IDK what it's called.) The stool he's sitting on was a past Christmas Freebie, DA Bar Stool. I use it way too much. It's a shame people can't get it anymore.

Untitled.jpg
    1150 x 1893 - 388K

I guess this post can count as a "WIP" but from the various [traditional] art lessons I've taken, the most consistent advice I've been given is not to shade with black and not to highlight with white. (Or for digital drawings, don't use Dodge/Burn for shading and highlights.) Because your colors would get muddy or washed out. There's too many renders out there where the artists use strong white lights and it makes their renders look washed out, much like these drawings I'm talking about.

To correct this, use various white lights of differing strengths (like have one be 100%, the the other ones like 70% or 30%), or make one of the lights a pale gray. There will be a noticeable difference in the render. In this other render I did a while back, I made one of the lights a light yellow (the one from the left of the screen), to better match the HDRI and I left the other one white. Or, you could do what I did in my previous render and make the lights be the similar color as the HDRI background, but one of the lights is white. In both cases, I used a pre-made light set and changed the colors. There's probably more experimenting I could do, but my laptop isn't the strongest. So I'll stick to these simple portraits.

edited December 2019

A bit of an experiment using the MMX Blended Dual Lobe Hair Shader Christmas Blend for Iray (Christmas 2019 Freebie). I assume that this is a "lite" version of the actual product, which, after playing with this freebie, I want to get too. (Unfortunately, I do not own many SBH/dForce hairs. Much less, been successful in recreating my own.) Anyway, I replaced the texture maps with this kaleidoscope doodle (shown with renders) I did in GIMP to make a new color.

Original, without any highlight colors:

With red and orange highlight colors:

The character is just default G8F body, with Mousso's Albany for G8F Head at 75%, and Tasha 8 Head at 50%. Skin is from Aiko 8.

Icon.png
    948 x 657 - 782K
    Icon3.png
    948 x 657 - 835K
    edited December 2019

Other thing I have been trying since yesterday is coverting Ryuu for M5's dragon tattoo for G8M. I've already gotten practice with some simple makeups and even a chest tattoo (which I'll post later.) This one is tricky because the shoulders don't covert well with the Map Transfer method. (I use the G3/G8 for Genesis Cayman Studios' UVs that come with the geografts in order to do this.) But again, I want a challenge and it's a shame that this skin is no longer available. (One of the creators stated that the Diffuse maps were too orange. They are, but I could always find a similar skin, in this case Diego 8's skin, and change the color slider until the hues match.) 

This is what I've done so far between 3DCoat and GIMP. I also want the painted scalp texture because too often I find myself wanting to use a painted on scalp underneath hoods.

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 438K
    edited December 2019

The first tattoo (and makeup) that I tried to transfer over to G8M base UV is SAV's Lynn for Genesis and M4. (The character was recreated using a mix of Darius 8 and Owen 8 a while back.) This one was easy because all it was, was the chest tattoo and the runny smoky eye makeup. Up until now, I hadn't bothered to do a test render and I've realized what the problem is. I need to create the SSS maps to place in the translucency slot. This is why the tattoo and the makeup look reddish, though I do like how makeup looks in this test render.

I was never fond of the baked-in details the original texture had, main reason why I decided to use Sanjay 8's skin as a base. I thought it was close-enough to the original to use.

Icon.png
    1200 x 1556 - 2M
    edited December 2019

A render of both Saya HD for G8F and CCox's Leina Outfit for G8F. (It is a cosplay of Leina from Queen's Blade. I wish there was a prop Melona-hair somewhere.) This one looked nice to me, so I uploaded it to the DAZ Galleries [x].

I like her morph and her skin, but I'm not fond of the hair. Even though it is more detailed than Pure Hair: Bubblegum for Genesis, the Bubblegum hair has way more movement and styling morphs, and it's a short hair that autofits to G8F without a problem.

Untitled.jpg
    1000 x 1645 - 196K
    edited December 2019

Another fan art/cosplay render. This time, it's Suicide Squad Harley Quinn...sorta. DAZ Galleries link [x].

The cosplay is by SquarePeg3D called "Suicidal Puddin for G8F" the link to the download on their resource Patreon (sp3dresources).

Here is a render of her face without makeup. I have no idea what I used, but I do know it had some Sydney 8 in there. Fortunately, I saved this as a shaping preset, and I can go back and look at it, if you're curious about the recipe. The diffuse hair color was painted by me, explained on the next post. (Her eyes are not from Fan Ling, but from Albany, another Mousso character.)

Untitled1.jpg
    1100 x 1426 - 483K
    Icon2.png
    1100 x 1426 - 3M
    edited December 2019

For the Harley Quinn render I did from the last post, I decided to make my own diffuse hair color from scratch. The first thing I did was roughly paint the ombré design on the hair in 3DCoat. It was here that I discovered that this hair's ponytails are mirrored mapped. This means that if I color one side, the other side will have the exact color. And because of this, I couldn't give her the red pigtail and the blue/black pigtail. Instead I decided to just make the bottom tip red with the diamonds thrown in. Here is the rough result I made with 3D Coat and the more polished monochrome design I made in GIMP.

(^^ As you can see, this checkered design probably won't look as good on another hairstyle. :/ )

I used Mane Attraction, which is one of the few products that I manually download because I don't have Photoshop and use GIMP, so the .ABR files need to go in the GIMP brush folder. Taking one of the hair brushes, I painted the base hair in black and white. Then, I colorized it to where it looked like a strawberry blonde. Didn't bother to take screenshots of the next step, but what I did was turn the monochrome design into a transparency. (In GIMP, got to "Layer > Transparency > Color to Alpha", to remove the white and only leave the black. This is what you do when you want to make lineart to digitally paint.) Then I carefully erased and combined many layers until there was the red tips with the darker and lighter red diamonds.

Here is another render of how it looks in the back. The way I did the hair, it has this checkered ombré texture and the original blonde, which I used for the scalp and bangs. Unfortunately, the way the bangs are mapped, they don't take either horizonal or vertical hair tiles because they're at an angle. Oh well, I tried. XD

Untitled2.jpg
    1106 x 728 - 239K
    Untitled.jpg
    1100 x 1426 - 311K
    edited December 2019

Now for the real Fan Ling. (DAZ Galleries link, again [x].)

This render was weird because I had to use this HDRI or else it rendered black, but I guess that was for the best. XD

Maybe some day, I'll render Fan Ling and the G8F Harley I made hanging out together, but right after the Jenni and Vladimir render. 

Untitled.jpg
    1275 x 2100 - 415K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I like your tattoo experiments. I'm within a week of getting the AMD Ryzen Zen + / Zen 2 arch CPU I need to complete my computer build so i'll be able to try more fun stuff like you, albeit in Blender as me desktop i build is AMD GPU.

I like your tattoo experiments. I'm within a week of getting the AMD Ryzen Zen + / Zen 2 arch CPU I need to complete my computer build so i'll be able to try more fun stuff like you, albeit in Blender as me desktop i build is AMD GPU.

Nice. I wish I knew how to use Blender properly. I barely figured out how to paint with it. XD

edited December 2019

Back to the first tattoo and makeup, I have made some quick SSS maps for the translucency slot and now they look as they should. (This is Sanjay 8's skin at 45% translucency. I really hate how he and Kala 8 look very pale and rely on translucency to look darker.) Anyway, if you're wondering why your custom tattoo or makeup isn't the correct color, check the translucency slot. There may be a texture there that also needs editing.

However, when working on the Ryuu tattoo, I noticed that the way the map transfer works on Genesis 1 and G8 is different. The UVs are not quite the same. Not sure if this has affected Lynn's tattoo. I'll have to go back tomorrow and try the map transfer again to compare the results. I think something might be up, but I'm unsure.

Untitled2.jpg
    850 x 1400 - 451K
    edited January 2020

Love RawArt's Sphinx for G8F but also, made me realize that I had two other G8F cat girls already. (Thistle and MAB/Will Dupre Catgirl Megapack).So yes, now I'm interested in retexturing the Sphinx wings for them to match these other ones. I love versatility, it's one reason I don't usually like to buy "characters". These usually don't go with my creativity since they have their own definite style. But this one's shape is a good base and I have the HFS morphs to make other paw-legged anthro-ish girls. The Catgirl textures, for the feet's paw pads don't line up well with Sphinx. I might render an example later, since I have to go out and run errands. 

Here she is with the Catgirl stuff. Now it needs some tweaking, but it fits her well too. I might also have to line her up with a blank G8F and dialspin an approximation, so I could have a fully "human" version of her shape too. I'm glad I got her, she suits my needs. XD

I was curious about the Sphinx' included pyramid. It is rendered in the back but it's huge.

I have the Morning Star(?) wings too (I think I got them very cheap or for free a while back) but the reason I've not downloaded them is because I don't like their shape. Sphinx's wings are pretty and I also need to see if I can use them (with retexturing) to make some angel girls. The wings was mostly why I got her, but I like just about everything else too, except no separate paw/foot/legs morph or head morph. But I could probably figure out how to split her apart on my own.

Sample.jpg
    2500 x 2000 - 4M
    edited January 2020

I'm back. Here is a compilation render of Sphinx for G8F and how her paws look like with Catgirl G8F, Thistle for Posey and Petunia, and Ms Hedgehog G8F's textures. As you can see, Thistle and Ms Hedgehog can be used just fine since they don't have any paw pads. Catgirl's paw pads don't line up well (all the MATs have the same paw pad design), but I like the hand paw pads better. 

Sample.jpg
    1016 x 1314 - 260K
    edited January 2020

Here is a cursed mix of Sphinx, Thistle, and Ms Hedgehog, with Catgirl's textures. She almost looks like a Chihuahua.

Untitled.jpg
    1291 x 1007 - 259K
    edited January 2020

Sphinx with Catgirl textures.

Sphinx with Catgirl textures, and Thistle mouth.

Conclusion, all three shapes compliment each other. More reason I have to attempt to make matching wing textures. I don't need tail textures because I can use the other tails that came with the other cat girls. So far, this isn't what I consider a perfect (dare I say, purrfect?) furry/anthro. The snout is not long enough, but I dig the Thundercats style look because I'm nostaligc for them. Sad there's no male equivalent yet.

Untitled.jpg
    1725 x 909 - 298K
    Untitled2.jpg
    1725 x 909 - 304K
    edited January 2020

EDIT January 14, 2020: I have uploaded a better redone version at the DAZ Galleries [x]. I didn't want to bump this thread with the same picture.

More Sphinx! Unfortunately, I don't know what went wrong with this render that it ended up with a red square in the corner and her eye textures messed up. Good thing I saved the scene and will see if I could fix the problem tomorrow or later on. I do like the lighting, but it seems like I would have to change it.

Original render, please note the eyes and the weird square.

Edited in GIMP.

I used Ophelia 7's skin shaders. Actually, there's a bunch of things I'd love to change, but you get the idea. XD

Untitled2.jpg
    1525 x 1974 - 1M
    Untitled.jpg
    1525 x 1974 - 752K
    edited January 2020

Other project I'm working on is making a G8F version of Renderosity's La Femme. I had actually gotten her around the time she was released, back in March 2019, when she was free with purchase. (I had bought a G8F character who was 70% off.) Like I've done before with other characters, I loaded up La Femme in DS and then line up my Genesis figure and attempted to dial-spin and approximation.

I always load up the Dev Load version of G8F because it's untextured and at base resolution.

I disovered that one of the morphs in bluejaunte's Misumi (Misha foot neutralizer at around 73%) is close to La Femme's foot shape. It just needs to be narrower and have the toes adjusted.

Untitled2.jpg
    1700 x 2200 - 1M
    Sample.jpg
    1570 x 1085 - 800K