MimicMolly's Renders & WIPs

Comments

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
    edited March 2021

This is a quick test render with the material I was trying to paint yesterday. I tried it on Kayla, but had to use Vicey3D's Armine skin because it renders faster than Kayla's default skin. Unfortunately, this texture didn't come out how I wanted it to (I wanted a more striking contrast of bublegum pink and brownish mauve). But I do like how the horizontal stripes look. I wasn't expecting it to look like tiger maple but I love its look.

Kayla.png
    1475 x 1658 - 3M
    Post edited by MimicMolly on
    edited March 2021

Speaking of Kayla, I'm trying to make a scene with Kayla and my G8M version of Kayla. Here is a couple of Iray previews of him, with InTheFlesh's DMC Vergil for G8M's skin. I might just end up using Kayla's skin but with Kjaer 8's eyebrows, as shown in this preview. Not too fond of the "dark circles" even though I could probably try to make him into a goth cowboy for this scene.

By the way, these are Kayla's default eyes and they look a bit pink here, like he's been crying. That's funny because this isn't what I intended!

Temp4.jpg
    1520 x 881 - 471K
    edited March 2021

I managed to get only the base White Priestess 8.1 HD yesterday, after somehow the price going down a lot because I owned Aubrey 8. (Who I somehow managed to get as a deal too.) Here I was playing around with makeups and the skin shader. DAZ Galleries link [x].

This render reminds me of an old render I did a long time ago. It had a lot of orange too, but I never posted it in the Galleries because I thought it was to risque. Perhaps I should revist its concept and include White Priestess in it too.

Temp3.jpg
    1160 x 1500 - 358K
    edited March 2021

I randomly decided to go back and revisit my G8F La Femme with Hacker cosplay. Updated DAZ Galleries link, which includes the old one [x].

For these renders, I used G8.1F, which I've been using for renders. (Still use the regular 8 for whenever I'm making a morph.) This one is with some random snarling expression.

Here is a full body one, that seems a bit pointless because the outfit covers up most of her body. But it's always good to see a nice clear user render of an outfit, even if it's free.

In case you want to read about my conversion attempt, which was from January 2020, how time flies!

LaFemmeG8F.jpg
    1150 x 1487 - 708K
    LaFemmeG8F.png
    1300 x 1680 - 5M
    edited March 2021

Remember him? The orange palette of the White Priestess render reminded me that I should render Kyle in his "Bounty Hunter" outfit. So I'm gonna try again, even if it's a pain because I have to parent and re-render so much because this outfit wasn't meant for a man, but the way I am, I don't give a fudge. (In fact, he's the only character that I've ever put this outfit on.) The only "update" here is that I used RiverSoftArt & Sickleyield's V4 to G8F clothing converter. So most of this outfit is now better fitted to him. Which means, I could experiment with more dynamic poses and possibly clever blocking of his crotch because the "bikini bottom" doesn't even cover the front and I have no idea what I did in that old render, but as long as it looks good, am I right?

I didn't want to post the original, since I thought it was too NSFW, but given other stuff I've seen on here, I guess it's okay. Unlike the product description, this NeoNavigator!Kyle is a heroic cyborg that came straight out of some erotic pulp-fiction superhero story concept, except the story is heavily censored, which only adds to its whimsical humor. 

On a side note, since I don't want to bump up my own thread, I'm so on the fence about the Scar 8 Pro Bundle. I could get it for like $14 USD but I only like Scar, one of his outfits, and Redz' character. So it's a tough choice since I already have the gens and the other products won't ever get used. But I have a weakness for buff guys, so this is a hard decision for me.

BackAtItAgain.png
    605 x 677 - 519K
    edited March 2021

Here is the revisited render, unfortunately, I like the old one better and am disappointed that I can't recreate it again.

I originally thought of doing one of him fighting others, but I don't trust my laptop shutting down randomly from the render. So I tried to do this simple one with him and his boots. (Which I had to paint over slightly in GIMP.) I like this new render, but it's not the same as the original, which is a shame. I will definitely revist this again, now that I saved a scene with him. What I want is for these renders to be very bright and colorful. Pretty much the total opposite I see other doing with their "dramatic lights." The outfit is literally "out of the box" except for the lights, which I applied the default Emissive shader and changed colors around for it to be blue and glowy. I usually darken and play around with the bump maps, but I wanted this to look as smooth as plastic as possible.

I bought Scar, btw

Temp3.jpg
    1200 x 1552 - 607K
    edited March 2021

I know I said I was gonna make him fight others, but I decided to do a set of "sequential renders" about him breaking out of a facility and retrieving this green globus cruciger for some reason. This was actually done with the glass plane that comes with the Ultra Genesis lighting set. Except that I added a water shader to it, and a ripply normal map from the MEC4D PBR shader set I own.

Here is the DAZ Gallery link [x], I am doing the renders out of order. There is a "second one" I need to do, but am busy focusing on my writing.

This render has been edited with GIMP because the "despeckle" made it weirdly artsy, so I decided to overlay it on top. I was actually tempted to paint over it and pretend it was a painting I made with my hands.

Temp3.jpg
    1237 x 1600 - 1M
    Temp4.jpg
    1350 x 1747 - 769K
    edited March 2021

I wanted to make a new render with KarliAnn on G8.1F, and I have no idea what went on with this scene but DS didn't like and used almost 100% CPU to render it. So I was forced to let it run for a couple of minutes before I called it quits. This is why it looks so grainy, even with me trying to reduce that with GIMP.

DAZ Galleries link to see the original and this new render together [x].

DS didn't like KarliAnn but had no problems with Kyle awkwardly submerged underwater. :/

Temp3.jpg
    1200 x 1550 - 551K
    edited March 2021

Finally got around to creating a separate head morph and a "foot neutralizing" morph for Rawart's Sphinx G8F. For the head morph, I created it with ITF Dev Kit for G8F. As for the foot neutralizing morph it was a mix of going back and forth with the geometry editor until I got it right. Here is an example with the separate head morph at -100% and with RN Kayla head at 100%. In other words I can turn any of my G8F's into a sphinx girl.

Since I'm not planning on posting this particular render in the DAZ Galleries, I only did a rough clean up of the dress it had some of the fur clipping through. I had tried to use a wind node for this render, but I couldn't make it work. Instead I tilted her, so the dress could move where I want it to.

Temp3.jpg
    1400 x 1811 - 815K
    edited April 2021

I just popped in to say that I won't be deleting my works off the galleries in protest against NFTs. I don't think it's right for me to remove/delete my art or lash out against it, even though I completely understand why others would do it for their stuff. But, I will try to create more fan art, since copyrighted things like this can cause legal trouble for whoever wants to sell/make money off my art without permission.

Right now, I'm trying to create a G8F version of the rival girl Klara from Pokemon Sword's Isle of Armor Expansion Pass. The morphs I'm using for this shaping preset is TritiumCG's Dolly Parton for G8F @ 50% and SASE Bunny for G8F @ 50%, with The Girl 8 @ 15%. I think to make the character more "accurate" I needed to slap the "teen preset" from Growing Up on top, but I'm in a hurry. Here is a comparison shot.

Here is another experiment where I rendered the Viewpoint in Cartoon shaded, except I mixed with with the default Iray in GIMP. 

I need to figure out how to lighten her hair or mute the colors of her outfit that I painted with 3DCoat. I also need to find bows, or attempt to model them myself. I have no idea what I will do for the jacket, but then, I'm not exactly aiming for "accuracy". I chose Dolly because, like the character, she is a singer. I chose Bunny for the same reason, since Bunny looks like Miley Cyrus to me.

Temp4.jpg
    923 x 1100 - 306K
    Sofora.jpg
    1700 x 1100 - 412K
    edited May 2021

Almost a month, been doing pretty good but distracted with writing and gaming (specifically Minecraft.) 

Anyway, a week ago, I think?, I finally got Shaniquah and rendered her. Here is a DAZ Gallery link that lists what else I used [x]

I have very strong mixed feelings about this product. I love the skin, it's one of the best ones I've purchased to date as it renders very quickly. I just don't like how AW set up things in the character folder, I found it inconvenient but I moved everything around. Or that this character isn't meant to be mixed, but to be used "as is." (I dislike such limitations because I want to create "my own" art, so I often avoid buying from such PAs.) But if you don't care for mixing and only buy to support artists/collect assets, then it's shouldn't be a problem. (I think her skin is worth it though, so I'm satisfied.) I saw that AW was creating a character whose body didn't affect Auto-Follow, but since I think that character is also an un-mixable one, I don't know if I'd get her right away. 

Shaniquah.jpg
    1100 x 1425 - 280K
    edited May 2021

This is another remake of an old render, which I forgot to submit to the galleries, way back when, but have included in the photoset. DAZ Galleries link [x].

I had this unpublished for a month because I got side-tracked. I really don't like this DAZ Season Pass thing. (I'm aware that I'm not part of it, but I'm not a figure collector, so it would've been a waste of money for me.) The sales feel like they've gotten worse, as in there's not much savings. That's why I used to shop here more often than at Rendo. But now, the prices feel like they're the same. Oh well. Not spending actually saves money, so who knew?

MariFace.jpg
    1120 x 1450 - 435K
    edited June 2021

I was really on the fence about Kiko 8.1, but then I remembered that I have Acicia and the Foxy Lady G8F (which I haven't downloaded yet), so I don't need her. But I did pick up Kiko's dForce Goodnight Outfit, but IDK when I'll render something with it. That's basically why I tried to render something with her. I did get a problem where her mouth deformed when applied to 8.1, but I zeroed out the enabled smile morphs and she worked fine.

Here is the DAZ Galleries link [x], which lists the other items I've used.

Kiko 8.1's description mentions a male character named Kota. As of this forum post, I hope he's a fox boy but I might get him regardless because I need more anime cute toon guys. But it seems like my first G8.1M might be Fred, because I can get him quite cheap. On the fence about him, as of this moment. I only like him and the hair in the "Rise to Fame" bundle.

AciciaKitty.jpg
    1120 x 1450 - 549K
    edited June 2021

A month ago, I decided to give Phoenix1966's Sean for M8 a "light makeup/countoured" face. I have a render in mind that requires him to have an "airbrushed" face. So I briefly converted his texture's UV to Base Female with Map Transfer and used this resource (.PSD files), by adjusting the layers and changing up the colors. Then I used Map Transfer again to make it Base Male. I'm surprised there was even a difference.

WEP.jpg
    1164 x 677 - 167K
    edited June 2021

Okay, I got Fred 8.1. I like him, especially mixing him with Budai. (The DAZ Originals morphs don't fatten up the face, in a way I find "realistic" and that's why they don't really work for me.) Here is a test render I did, which turned out really well, IMO. DAZ Galleries link [x].

Piccc2.png
    1150 x 1340 - 3M
    edited June 2021

I wanted to see if I could somehow recreate Chairman Rose and Oleana from Pokemon Sword and Shield. This is a pic I found of them together, albeit edited.

This is my attempt. I can't decide what was more difficult, finding clothing that was close-enough among my downloads or trying to dial-spin some "realistic" likeness. Thinking about it, trying to find a skin that looks good for Oleana is probably the hardest. Still not happy with what I've gone with (P3D Celine G3F.) Rose's skin was easy, I immediately knew I wanted to use a modified version of Silas 8's skin for him.

I actually have better outfits for them that I haven't downloaded. (Example, would Mystique 1 & 2, and Wicked Ways Outfit for G3F.) But I don't have a good hair for Rose. At one point in the game, he wears a "disguise" and his hair is covered with a cap, so I can get away with using this same shaved hairstyle by bluejaunte, for him. XD

Piccc2.png
    1500 x 1070 - 2M
    edited June 2021

Ever since someone pointed out that Josuke Higashikata from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Part 4, Diamond is Unbreakable) looks like Rachel from Blade Runner, I haven't been the same.

You can get the Rachel (Lady Noir) morph from this thread in the freebies section, there is a link to the hair there too.

Don't want to bump this thread, so I'm going to add it here; but I got Kota 8.1's second bundle. The one with the Joe Quick Demon King arm and outfit. I had plans on darkening a right arm texture for G8M because I had an idea with a character like that, so these products were good. However, the character I wanted to do only has a cursed arm, his chest is unscarred. I don't mind rendering with and without the arm. But I gotta wait to download since I have family over and they're using the internet to resume their video conferencing for work.

Untitled.jpg
    2200 x 1412 - 959K
    edited June 2021

I re-did another old render because I also wanted to try something out. What I wanted to try out was SquarePeg3D's Morphing Poster from Rendo, except like make it to where my Genesis recreation was holding up a pic of the character it was based off of. Link to the DAZ Galleries [x] (Tap on the picture to see the second render, if you're on mobile.)

Here is the DS setup.

I think it's the more reserved smile and the hair I picked, but if I re-did her nose and give her a new skin, change the hair color, she'd look like Shakira. I was not aiming for Shakira when I was dial-spinning, but I like it when my shaping presets can be usable for many things.

Untitled.jpg
    1100 x 1423 - 486K
    p3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 405K
    edited June 2021

I like Addison Hair, so I made another render with it. This time I used another 60/60 character combo of Monique 8 and Pretty Base NG for G8F. DAZ Galleries link [x].

The smile changed her face so much (which I like) so I rendered one without expressions.

This was also a test render of that free 8.1/Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials update. I used Skin B/Kalea 7. Unfortunately, it had seams in the legs, which was why I dressed her up with this outfit in the first place.

Test.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 526K
    Test2.jpg
    1100 x 1423 - 741K
    Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 555K
    edited July 2021

I plan on doing a proper render with this, but I eyeballed this shirt design (and used the eye dropper for the color) to use it in Aeon Soul's Everyday 2 shirt. Went between GIMP and 3DCoat. Not happy with how some of the letters turned out. But overall, I don't think it looks that bad. I need to look at that Versa Cap and Hair, and see if I can texture it to match that cap. 

I like to use Everyday 2 for my t-shirt coloring experiments simply because there's a male version of it that uses the same UVs. So with this, it will be usable for male and female figures.

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 344K
  • Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,075

Hi MimicMolly (wavezzzzzzz.. pleasure to mee'cha)... I'm not sure if anyone else is watching your thread but I thought you should at least get some comments on all the work you have been doing.  I didn't get a chance to view ALL your pages in this thread but I can tell you have come a long way since page 1.  Well done indeed :)  Keep up the great works.

edited July 2021

Hi MimicMolly (wavezzzzzzz.. pleasure to mee'cha)... I'm not sure if anyone else is watching your thread but I thought you should at least get some comments on all the work you have been doing.  I didn't get a chance to view ALL your pages in this thread but I can tell you have come a long way since page 1.  Well done indeed :)  Keep up the great works.

Thank you Llola Lane. I didn't think this thread was one to follow for updates because it's a place for me to dump my WIPs. (And motivate myself to use my purchases.) I have received comments and likes on the DAZ Galleries uploads that I link here. So I'm guessing people check this thread in case I post proper, presentable renders. And I appreciate that interact with them in this way. Their nice comments don't get lost in the forums this way.

I also didn't get notified of your comment on my thread. I just found it after I checked for something. Same thing happens in the DAZ Gallery.

edited July 2021

Shark Tail for G8M is the first new non-DAZ Original release I've bought in a long time. I was sold on the fact his shark body fins are posable. I applied the geoshell transition following the instructions of the Read Me.

Anyway, I'm trying to set up a scene that has been in my mind for a while. But it's already taken more than a day, not sure if I'll even bother to render it because once an art project starts taking too long, I lose interest in completing it. (Or in this case, lose interest in rendering it as a finished piece.) Just in case that happens, here is the recipe I used to give this custom character, whom I've sharkified, proper shark teeth.

I cannot easily recreate this character with regular G8M because he uses Kota 8.1's Head at 30% and that morph is pretty crucial to his overall head shape.

WIP.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited July 2021

DS does not want to render this scene, but that's because my laptop is weak and this scene uses up 100% CPU. But, let me believe it's because it doesn't want shark mermen doing distance learning. Especially in such close proximity to the pool and the fact he's got his lunch waiting for him there. (Yes, he eats burgers smaller than his fists because this shark merman was raised by humans.)

I will try to re-render this scene at a later time and hopefully share in the galleries. Just know that this college student shark boy exists.

WIP.png
    1555 x 875 - 4M
    edited July 2021

You know what? Thinking about it, not too annoyed that the "schooling fish" render I did yesterday wasn't able to to be completed. I just realized that I forgot to add a notebook and pencil for him to write his notes in.

You can look at this render, as I had previously posted it, and assume this civilized/domesticated shark is attacking others online, since he cannot do so in the safety of the indoor pool he's kept in.

EDIT: Not to bump this thread further, but I just realized I need to make some basic "textbook" textures for these book props. Might do a desktop background for the laptop too, since I planned to do another render that showed how he was holding onto the railing and it wasn't just with his humanoid hand. You know, small details the viewer probably doesn't care for, but would bother me for "leaving them out."

edited July 2021

Getting a bit late for me, so I won't be able to upload the photoset to the DAZ Galleries. But here is a preview of the shark merman render. I did other angles, and it will take a long time to post since I like to credit whatever product I can.

This is the back view which shows how he's holding on. I had to edit the screen in GIMP because it never turned out how I wanted it to.

It's weird that all I had to do was change lights and hide some walls for this to render. XD

(Yes, he has paper now.)

EDIT: I did 3 renders of him, might make more extras tomorrow. It just depends if I have the time or motivation.

Sample2.jpg
    1120 x 1450 - 926K
    edited July 2021

I decided to redo the skin settings for his human skin and somehow...this made my PC use less of its CPU. 

This was the third render I had done yesterday with the previous skin settings. Unfortunately, I didn't save his pose, so I can't re-render it. (Besides, he was holding his mug strangely, so it wasn't very good, to me, in that regard. I don't think viewers are drawn to his hand tho) I'm sharing it here because it's still a WIP. I have made another render of him holding his mug that looks more natural, as far as I'm concerned.

Here is a screenshot of the other one. I like how it looks like someone took a snapshot of him.

I wanted to add a normal map to the water to give it the look of a ripple, but it somehow made the water look dark. I need to figure out what went "wrong" here. I don't know how to fix this without resorting to post work in GIMP, because I just don't understand Iray. (Really, it seems like I should be the last person doing 3D art because I can't seem to get the hang of it. Yet, DAZ Studio has made it all too easy. It's the main reason I've been in this hobby for so long.) I will re-render the screenshot scene tomorrow. But that's because I forgot that I was supposed to upload a font on my now, unused, DeviantART account for my drawings.

I'm also tempted to do a "normal human being" render of this character in a similar scenario. But that's not a top priority to me, because I enjoy making illustrations of whatever DAZ assets I have installed on my laptop. I don't particularly care for this nonsense others call "genre."

Sample.jpg
    947 x 1225 - 626K
    Sample2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 851K

This "Shark Boy" makes me wish I had Torment 8.1. Torment's pale "sculptural" skin looks like it would work here. My character is G8.1M, so it wouldn't be an issue to use Torment's skin on him. However, the reason I don't have Torment is because Kayleyss' Tara 2 is all I need as far as demon characters go. I don't think I would even use anything else of Torment besides the normal human skin. Besides, I don't really like their look. (This is definitely an unpopular opinion around these parts, but I don't think Torment is hot.)

I know I have bought characters for just their morphs, and rarely, just their skins. But DAZ "Core" characters seem like a poor choice, if I just want only the skin and care for nothing else. But, if Torment is ever for a steep discount, like those $5 Base offers, or even under $10, I would buy them. (ChangelingChick's Foster and Phoenix1966's Jesse are the palest G8M skins I've got downloaded. At least that I look at, at a regular basis. Shark Boy uses mix-and-match maps from Foster, Kjaer 8, and Nix 8. The face Diffuse map is edited too with Sanjay 8's eyebrows added in.)

edited July 2021

This render was made because I wanted him on his back, partially submerged. But also, I chose this angle because I once heard that a below the nose camera angle is unsexy and awkward. Finally, this water. It came out clear instead of a darker blue, the exact opposite problem of the hamburger pic render. However, this was easy to fix because all I had to do was change the diffuse color of the pool tile to a darker blue, so now the water looks like the same shade of blue as the hambuger render.

I'm also aware that it doesn't match the theme of the other renders, even though I could justify it by explaining that he just passed out because he's got a big headache like I do. However, I've decided to keep this as the "first" render, for the sake of a misleading thumbnail in the galleries.

Pic4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 892K
    edited July 2021

The skin settings + the gel pane lights I used made him look like I rendered him with 3Delight. Gotta love the difference between the render and the viewport on this one. Since this is not "volumetric" water, I tried to make it "look" underwater with the gel panes and other blue lights. I think I'm only successful in front of people who don't know any better.

I don't know how long I'll keep going back to this scene (actually two scenes, but one is just always altered and overwritten), but if I can render out a whole bunch of random pics, then I'm good I guess.

wai.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 841K