The Snow Bikini Complaint Thread

Comments

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    I am watching a cowboy movie. Cowboys vs aliens!

Hehe great little film, quirky and classic all at once :)
    Ah, been meaning to see that -- looked fun ^_^. There was also another weird European "SF" film recently, something about a Troll under a bridge? *vague recollection of a very gritty grey-scaleish promo clip somewhere* ~_~

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 2012

Beached whales - and whole dolphin pods - are kinda routine here, there are special rescue crews that try to refloat them but it doesn't work most of the time.

Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

M F M said:
    ps1borg said:
    I am watching a cowboy movie. Cowboys vs aliens!

Hehe great little film, quirky and classic all at once :)

Ah, been meaning to see that -- looked fun ^_^. There was also another weird European "SF" film recently, something about a Troll under a bridge? *vague recollection of a very gritty grey-scaleish promo clip somewhere* ~_~

If you have Fox channels Cowboys and Aliens is on Showtime this afternoon :)

edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    Mmf... Having real bad luck with purchased models lately.

I went ahead and bought a raptor (Hardly a realistic one, but was cute so...) that was in a 3DSMax 9 format, and thought "Hey I can just use the 30-Day trial to export it". Shelled out the $60 for the raptor, then installed the (Many versions ahead) trial and after a few hours got the raptor to open up. Good LORD it was a MESS! The textures were split into like 17 pieces, the raptor was a "proxy" or whatever and the actual mesh itself was hidden (And MAX's UI being the abomination it is, I couldn't figure out how to unhide it), and and and... *ahem* Well I finally got it exported as a Collada file, only for the textures to be gone, no rigging, and stuff was all crazy. Went back exported as an FBX, and this time the textures came in, and the rig was still *mostly* intact (Save for some serious weighting issues and no IK, but that last bit is no trouble).
    Ah yes and the eyeballs disappeared for some reason.

*sighs* Well I guess I'll be working on getting this to be functional over the next week or three.

There was also another neat dinosaur (The one in the Vue pic I did) that was in MAX format, but also a cheaper and unrigged OBJ. As the Max version is $300, and I've been having such issues with exporting, I think I'll stick with trying to get my partially rigged dinosaur to work ^_^;

*hugs* cross-platforming is always pernickety

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,789
    edited December 1969

I saw a preview of a movie that was about a Zombie who wants to be good. Forgot its name.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

*hugs* cross-platforming is always pernickety

Peh. I was poking around with an older (and much lower in polygon count) model and tried some rigging... God how I hate rigging. I'm so terrible at it, and when i weight one thing I break something else.

Which brings to mind the Sky Wyrm from Swidhelm. I contacted him about if there's anyway I can get a non Poser-Cloth version of the wings, but don't expect to get any sort of response other than "Trolololol Poser only lulz, U watsed uz money" more or less. I can't rig a dragon, especially a higher resoltuion one (More polygons = Harder to Rig)

*Sighs*

edited December 1969

I am not going far in this movie. I keep getting interrupted.

edited December 1969

Was that Ed in Shaun of the Dead? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_of_the_Dead

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Was that Ed in Shaun of the Dead? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_of_the_Dead

No I saw it in theaters when I went to a movie in late November or early December. It was previewing a movie coming out in 2013.

edited December 1969

Ed was a funny character who ends up a zombie living in a shed and playing video games :lol:

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Ed was a funny character who ends up a zombie living in a shed and playing video games :lol:

I just added that to my queue for Netflix.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,033
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

Except for the "zombie" part, that would have been a good description of me during one period of my life. :)
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    ps1borg said:

Except for the "zombie" part, that would have been a good description of me during one period of my life. :)

Sheds have a cult following here, there are even community sheds for people who don't have one themselves. Is it wrong to think that's weird? :lol: http://www.mensshed.org/home/.aspx

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    tjohn said:
    ps1borg said:

Sheds have a cult following here, there are even community sheds for people who don't have one themselves. Is it wrong to think that's weird? :lol: http://www.mensshed.org/home/.aspx
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjS3gzHetA

edited December 1969

OK, read about men's sheds and still have no clue. Are there no normal places for men to meet and "share their feelings"? Pubs, local cafes. men's clubs?
    Are there no women's sheds? :roll:

edited December 1969

Moar Mental Ray (iray) fun...

Also will need to learn how to rig soon... I want to make use of the dinos I have o3o

devilsaur_3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 105K
    devilsaur_1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 135K
    raptorscraps_11___too_much.jpg
    640 x 720 - 253K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,632
    edited December 1969

LONG RANT COMPLAINT AND WHINING ALERT

Well, last night at 12:38AM exactly Honored Housemate managed to not only trip, but blow a breaker out completely while I slept. I woke up to his loud yakkiung on his cell phone to the landlady about "no power to his room" - well, mine was dead too.

Now the entirety of the 2 bedrooms and 1/2 the kitchen of the back house are on the blown breaker, and we use space heaters, so there's no heat in the bedrooms now AND it's pushing 27f AND the wind is howling. So I come out to see him fiddling with the breaker box, managing to make a loud BZZZZZZZ. I made him stop that and after some phone chat the landlady said she'd get an electrician in the morning. Cool.

So, I set up one of the space heaters to keep the main room warm and told housemate to keep his door open and pile on the blankets. He says he'll run the oven for an hour to heat it up faster.. right. I gave the usual warnings {(it's an electric stove so no monoxide worries), crawled under 20 blankets, and went to bed.

Watch alarm goes off at 5:30AM but I'm already awake since housemate moved into the common area and started snoring like a drunken walrus at 4:00AM, waking me up. House smells like overheated oven, sure enough he'd left the door wide open and the oven on all night. Urgh. I pack up and go sit in 27f and high winds, waiting for the bus.. but..

IT AIN'T OVER YET.

Get 2 urgent emails from the landlady when I get to work. Guess what? Somehow housemate started a fire in the living room after I left and the living room has burned down! WHAT THE !@$#@#$@#$!!!!! Water damage to the living room and kitchen, everything in there a total loss. JUST. EFFING. LOVELY.

Now, the good news: none of my belongings are damaged as the firemen managed to get the blaze out before it spread back into the bedrooms. My computers and guitars are safe, so whatever spiteful deity/demon/angel/etc. that tried to wipe out my stuff immediately after I installed all my content is thwarted (heh). Landlady has spare rooms so I have a place to live for now, and arrangements will be made for later - plus she's going to arrange storage for the extra stuff since the temporary rooms are pretty teeny.

Housemate apparently not o lucky, he had filled the living room with his stuff and apparently it's all a total loss. Landlady has ripped him a new one over messing with the breaker box and generally screwing things up. Karma hurts!

So, I get to move tonight when I get home, at least my clothes, one guitar, and my main laptop. I'm only going to keep out of storage the absolute minimum I need to stay sane, until the house gets a new living room.

Today's post Christmas miracle - today sucks AND blows at the same time.

I'll try to get some pics the next few days and post 'em.

At least Payday arrived early so I have money in the bank to throw at any issues, and next weeks check will be identical to this weeks, so I'm not totally screwed.

...a very big relief to know that you and your belongings were spared.

For me, this just reinforces the reason why I do not want to go back to a shared living situation with someone I know nothing about.

In the past had property, food, and money, stolen, been woken up at all hours of the night/morning by loud partying, as well as had expensive cookware irreparably damaged and a great old classic 1960s Hi-Fi system (that was far better than any of the cheap breadboard crap they make today) blown out.

If I end up in a "cardboard bungalow" because rents have become so obscene where I live, at least it will be MY "cardboard bungalow".

edited December 1969

wahhh, paid now for a pc month. it reset my counter as of today.

i can't catch a win.

...seems to be a lot of that going around lately.
    edited December 2012

dilemma. this is the year i was gonna save every penny to buy a car.

but, i wanna stop for dinner and a cannoli tonight. and take a taxi home, cuz bad weather is starting.

picked out a car to help me focus :)

...this is more my speed...
    zil_111_1_big.jpg
    1136 x 852 - 76K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

M F M said:
    How did I get to 4000 posts?

By hitting the Submit Post button 4003 times ;-).

Complaint: Magneto is taking over the world.. now I'm getting errors from www.evilinnocence.com >_<</div>
    ...you're kidding...they're using this piece of rubbish software too?

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

decisions decsions, in the market for new software for 3d

so far downloading the trails for

Cinema 4d

Lightwave 11

Modo 601

C4D from first use seems to be very easy to pick up and use, BUT to get all the bells and whistles you need to shell out hefty ammounts of cash.

lightwave and modo seem more complete, light wave being more expensive, and there is the fact Modo is on sale till the end of the month.
    sigh.. decisions decisions, need to play with all of them to see which I want to go with, C4D is probably not going to make the cut since the other two off all their features in the one package.

edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    Moar Mental Ray (iray) fun...

Also will need to learn how to rig soon... I want to make use of the dinos I have o3o

Is rigging especially clunky in C4D then?

edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Cinema 4d

Lightwave 11

Modo 601

C4D from first use seems to be very easy to pick up and use, BUT to get all the bells and whistles you need to shell out hefty ammounts of cash.

lightwave and modo seem more complete, light wave being more expensive, and there is the fact Modo is on sale till the end of the month.
    sigh.. decisions decisions, need to play with all of them to see which I want to go with, C4D is probably not going to make the cut since the other two off all their features in the one package.

That's a great deal to take in all at once :)

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    dilemma. this is the year i was gonna save every penny to buy a car.

but, i wanna stop for dinner and a cannoli tonight. and take a taxi home, cuz bad weather is starting.

picked out a car to help me focus :)

...this is more my speed...

Dont drive but do appreciate chrome goodness :)

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Rareth said:

Cinema 4d

Lightwave 11

Modo 601

true but I'm not exactly new to 3d modeling, I've used truespace for years till the company got shut down. I've been using cararra, hexagon, wings3d, bryce and blender on and off ever since, but I want a more complete package,

the C4d trial is opened ended you just can't save anything till you active the trial, plus it is easy for me to use and I went through a couple tutorials fairly quickly, the sticking point is while C4d Prime is affordable, C4d Studio is not and thats where the good bells and whistles are.

light wave trial is almost done downloading, and when its done, I'll start the modo trail download, and head to bed, I'll do the installs in the morning.

Modo 601 is on sale for under $800 right now, and the sale ends the 31st, so I'm doing to dive into it asap.

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    OK, read about men's sheds and still have no clue. Are there no normal places for men to meet and "share their feelings"? Pubs, local cafes. men's clubs?
    Are there no women's sheds? :roll:

Clueless as well, some stuff is just weird :)

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    ps1borg said:
    Rareth said:

Cinema 4d

Lightwave 11

Modo 601

true but I'm not exactly new to 3d modeling, I've used truespace for years till the company got shut down. I've been using cararra, hexagon, wings3d, bryce and blender on and off ever since, but I want a more complete package,

the C4d trial is opened ended you just can't save anything till you active the trial, plus it is easy for me to use and I went through a couple tutorials fairly quickly, the sticking point is while C4d Prime is affordable, C4d Studio is not and thats where the good bells and whistles are.

light wave trial is almost done downloading, and when its done, I'll start the modo trail download, and head to bed, I'll do the installs in the morning.

Modo 601 is on sale for under $800 right now, and the sale ends the 31st, so I'm doing to dive into it asap.

Grab the Lightwave trial content if you can, LW is deceptively simple to use and the scenes that come with the trial content should be a breeze for you to work through :)

edited December 1969

Cinema has better modeling tools than both Carrara and Hexagon, but falls short when compared to Modo and Lightwave.

I'd look at VertexPusher's Cinema tutorials - his series on MoGraph was AMAZING.

C4D's stability is one other bonus.

@ps1borg: No not at all - I just don't have the practice ^_^
    Cinema's the second time I've rigged anything, the first being Carrara whose tools would randomly stop working, or affect stuff it shouldn't, and were very much clunky.
    I can't personally agree that LW is easier than it looks, unless of course you want to compare that to Maya or 3DSMax in which case yes Lightwave is easier than it seems.

edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    Cinema has better modeling tools than both Carrara and Hexagon, but falls short when compared to Modo and Lightwave.

I'd look at VertexPusher's Cinema tutorials - his series on MoGraph was AMAZING.

Cinema's the second time I've rigged anything, the first being Carrara whose tools would randomly stop working, or affect stuff it shouldn't, and were very much clunky.
    I can't personally agree that LW is easier than it looks, unless of course you want to compare that to Maya or 3DSMax in which case yes Lightwave is easier than it seems.

Is best to weight-map everything before you apply bones, as a rule of thumb, and tweak the weights as you apply bones. My 2c. I guess the modeller/layout split in LW makes it look more complicated than necessary but I appreciate keeping the two interfaces separate. Depends what you are used to I guess, compared to Max and Maya there are far fewer clicks involved say to make particles or apply a motion track so yes that's the world I move in :)

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Rezca said:

Is best to weight-map everything before you apply bones, as a rule of thumb, and tweak the weights as you apply bones. My 2c. I guess the modeller/layout split in LW makes it look more complicated than necessary but I appreciate keeping the two interfaces separate. Depends what you are used to I guess, compared to Max and Maya there are far fewer clicks involved say to make particles or apply a motion track so yes that's the world I move in :)

As far as I can tell, the weight-mapping comes in two forms - Vertex Painting (To have deformers affect only a certain place, or to have Hair grow only in a certain area, etc), and Weight Painting. The weight painting is only for Joints (No bones in C4D. They did away with those in R12) and can only be applied once the joint skeleton is bound to the mesh. There IS a way to get the auto-weights to be useable, but I don't understand the settings so I leave it at default. This makes some joints useless (The tip of the tail, the tongue, or the "Kill Claw" on raptors), but often makes the thighs on bipedal animals work decently, while lizard tails are almost always functional right off the bat.

Digital Tutors has some great videos on rigging in C4D, I just haven't finished watching them yet.

Surprisingly enough, they don't have a single Lightwave video. (But they've been requested in the forums.)

This discussion has been closed.