3D World Says DAZ Plans for Generation 6 in 2013 [UPDATE] Well, now it's here!

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited June 2013

...maybe a 50 kilo Yellowfin Tuna.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

I just bought Poser Pro 2014. And some extras. My hobby money is blown until next month. I'm wondering if full Poser compatibility will be back. Just a thought on my part.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

This is presumably the real reason why 4.6 added the TriAx->TriAx support to the transfer tool. Hopefully it works a lot better than Legacy Conformer->TriAx does, or V6 won't have any shoes or dresses.

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318
    edited June 2013

barbult said:
    I guess Gen 6 is why they've been dumping Gen 5 in the 70% off fast grab for days.

Hm i think you are right
    I hope this is 2-3 month away (new Notebook just on the first this month) but i know my luck at the moment

Post edited by Twilight76 on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

I hope this is a mistake or misread memo. The only update to Genesis I would like to see is separate left and right eye material zones. I really think DAZ should drop the generation number for Genesis in favor of the letter G. And notice how the capital letter G looks a little like the number 6, this is why I am hoping it is just a memo mix-up.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited June 2013

jestmart said:
    I hope this is a mistake or misread memo.

If you look at the product page for the hair product you can see it's quite intentional. There was no way they messed that up.

Too bad thats all we know. Not excited myself, can't see wanting to go through the pains of figuring out a new generation so soon. And I don't expect any real advancements have been made that would interest me.

can only guess it may work better in the new version of poser...(if not it's a major LOL)

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

This is DAZ we are talking about, lately 'mistake' seems to be their middle name. But I still like the poor overworked underpaid DAZ minions despite all the hiccups.

edited June 2013

...this kind of information really of chafes my hide.

I just got a system up and running which supports the latest version of the Studio App, and allows me to really explore the functions and features that were pretty much "off limits" in 32 bit. Now there's all this "talk" about a Genesis 2, which most likely will be packaged with a new version of the app.

I recently lost my job and am in no position to afford upgrading to a new version of Daz Studio, Genesis, and all new characters and content that will be incompatible with what I already have. Don't really care to end up with another dead end like 3Advanced became.

What I see is the only Gen5 figure pro bundles being offered at 70% off are Vicky5, Hiro5, and Steph5 (the HItomi one only includes a few texture maps, some poses, a new hair style and a dress). Where is Mike5, David5, Young Teens5, Aiko5, Freak5, and Horse2? Wouldn't they all be at 70% off as well if Daz is doing some kind of "clearance"?

I really am hoping this is a rumour, or at the very least, subject to "Daz Soon".

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    What I see is the only Gen5 figure pro bundles being offered at 70% off are Vicky5, Hiro5, and Steph5 (the HItomi one only includes a few texture maps, some poses, a new hair style and a dress). Where is Mike5, David5, Young Teens5, Aiko5, Freak5, and Horse2? Wouldn't they all be at 70% off as well if Daz is doing some kind of "clearance"?

Right before the weekend started they had added the standalones of those four figures to Fast Grab and during the weekend itself they added the bundles. For whatever reason, when the single figures rotated out on Monday, the bundles stayed up with the usual stuff that's been up the past few day. Probably doesn't confirm or deny any of the future figures/Genesis 6 but just noting the bundle discounts.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    I recently lost my job and am in no position to afford upgrading to a new version of Daz Studio, Genesis, and all new characters and content that will be incompatible with what I already have. Don't really care to end up with another dead end like 3Advanced became.
    Why do you think DAZ 3 Advanced is a dead end? It's still my main workhorse. I happen to agree with you about newer versions of DS 4 and content produced exclusively for it not being backwards compatible. I have DS 4.0 Pro and have no plans whatsoever to upgrade for DS 4.5 or now DS 4.6. I like Genesis, but will only buy what's NOT exclusively in DUF format. I can understand it makes it easier for content creators to have content files that are fully editable, but the older versions of Genesis-based content will work in the newer versions of DS, so why is it necessary to make all new content exclusively for DS 4.5+? I'll only purchase content that has a Legacy installer, as well so I can use it in DS 4.0, which I only use for Genesis. I still do all my non-Genesis projects in DS 3 Advanced, and will continue to do so.

Of course, if I ever get a handle on using Carrara 8.5, then I can use DUF content there if I want to. As for right now, anything I've tried has been iffy, so I'm not planning on using it on a regular basis any time soon.

I really am hoping this is a rumour, or at the very least, subject to "Daz Soon".

You and me both, but then DAZ doesn't really do anything quickly, so if it is in the works, maybe the end of the year? I doubt anyone in the know will give us a definite answer on that one.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

Because more people are wanting content for Genesis than Gen3 or Gen4. Customers decide what gets made and for what by sales that a PA gets.

edited December 1969

..I was very skeptical at first, mainly due to the fact my old system couldn't handle 4.x and it seemed they were so close to fixing the last remaining bugs in 3A (which I remember one Daz person saying would be done before releasing any new version of the app).

4.5 actually ran better on my 32 bit notebook than 4.0 did so I began to experiment a lot with Genesis. Couldn't render any highly involved or detailed scenes but was still able to develop the characters for my story, especially with the help of GenX, the Legacy Body Shapes, and YT5. What took me weeks if not months to do in 3A I could accomplish in a few evenings.

The other feature that I found attractive was I could fit almost any clothing (even Gen3/Gen4) to any Genesis figure without having to use a third party conversion tool (which often was very hit or miss). I could dress Sadie in BDUs, or create Corporal Klinger from M*A*S*H wearing a fine evening gown. True long skirts and shoes from Gen4 content didn't particularly like autofit, but SickleYield's Rigging and Morphing utility has helped a lot in that separtment.

I could also mix characters in a way never possible before, making a Sadie teen or troll headed M4. So yes, I have become a Genesis convert. A short while ago I recreated my Leela in 3Advanced on the new workstation and even using the original parameter settings taken from my notebook, I felt so limited. The end result, while still good, lacks the youthful appearance I was able to achieve with the Genesis version.

With the addition of SSS and various procedural shader sets, there is so much more to work with. Heck, I've yet to install Carrara 8.5

Oh there are a few disappointments like some old plugins such as LDP2 which do not work and will not be updated (which is why I have 3A 64bit on the workstation as well) but it is a small tradeoff for the versatility.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

We had so many Gen 5 get released recently I hope that they do the Gen 6 releases slowly and make sure that they get any bugs fixed, given all the updates that the Gen 5's had.

Also, if gen 6 was going to be startling soon, why do Gen 5 versions of some iconic characters if we'll see a Gen 6 version not long after the Gen 5 version.

Also, I'm wondering how comparable Genesis 1 stuff is going to be with Genesis 2.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
    edited June 2013

*Comes in and reads posts*

Are you kidding me!? Already!? D:

As much as I'm always stoked for any new DAZ Icon, this news here actually has me dumbfounded as the rest of you...

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,804
    edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    We had so many Gen 5 get released recently I hope that they do the Gen 6 releases slowly and make sure that they get any bugs fixed, given all the updates that the Gen 5's had.

Also, if gen 6 was going to be startling soon, why do Gen 5 versions of some iconic characters if we'll see a Gen 6 version not long after the Gen 5 version.

Also, I'm wondering how comparable Genesis 1 stuff is going to be with Genesis 2.

Well, assuming that particular item is representative, it doesn't look like there's much to worry about in terms of compatibility of clothes and hair. From the looks of the morph list, it has DSON fits for V4/A4, and native morphs for most, but not all, of the DAZ-produced Gen5 females and shapes. (No G5 and no SF5, so at this stage, I'd say it's pretty certain that they're not making an appearance in this generation, at least not any time soon. And surprisingly, no Hitomi and no Jasmin/Jazlyn, although they seem to be outrageously popular. And most surprisingly, no YT Julie; I wonder why?)

What I'm wondering now is how long it will be before V6 makes an appearance. (And whether or not the smirky character in the promos is V6 herself. DAZ does have a history of putting the major figures into promos for other products before they first show up in the store; Victoria 5 first showed up in the "Lone Wolf for Genesis" promos, which weren't even designed for female characters. And, seriously, that is some epic smirk she's got goin' on.) Back when they were first making the transition to DS4 and Genesis, the teases used to last a long time; I think Michael was actually the last character to get a long promo/development cycle before his appearance. With everyone else, it's been about 6-8 weeks between, "Hey, what's this weird thing in the morph list for X product?" to "Here's the Stephanie/Hiro/Freak/Aiko bundles for you to buy!" That would put her out at the end of July, which seems a bit ... soon, really, but I think is very roughly when V5 herself showed up a couple years ago. (Just in time for back to school computer sales!)

And, one suspects -- just suspects, mind -- that when V6 comes along, she'll be either preceded by or pulling along a major upgrade for Studio itself.

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited June 2013

If V6 compatibility exists in a non-DAZ Original item, there must already be developer kits (or whatever the 3D model equivalent is) out there in the world, with people already building complementary content for the figure. Which would mean that the model itself must be just about ready to go.

And I have a tinfoil-hat theory.

* Genesis 2 will come alongside a major DAZ Studio upgrade. But that upgrade will not be free. I think this release could signify the end of the free DAZ software.

Post edited by ShaneWSmith on
  • AmeesaAmeesa Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:
    Jay_NOLA said:

Well, assuming that particular item is representative, it doesn't look like there's much to worry about in terms of compatibility of clothes and hair. From the looks of the morph list, it has DSON fits for V4/A4, and native morphs for most, but not all, of the DAZ-produced Gen5 females and shapes. (No G5 and no SF5, so at this stage, I'd say it's pretty certain that they're not making an appearance in this generation, at least not any time soon. And surprisingly, no Hitomi and no Jasmin/Jazlyn, although they seem to be outrageously popular. And most surprisingly, no YT Julie; I wonder why?)

What I'm wondering now is how long it will be before V6 makes an appearance. (And whether or not the smirky character in the promos is V6 herself. DAZ does have a history of putting the major figures into promos for other products before they first show up in the store; Victoria 5 first showed up in the "Lone Wolf for Genesis" promos, which weren't even designed for female characters. And, seriously, that is some epic smirk she's got goin' on.) Back when they were first making the transition to DS4 and Genesis, the teases used to last a long time; I think Michael was actually the last character to get a long promo/development cycle before his appearance. With everyone else, it's been about 6-8 weeks between, "Hey, what's this weird thing in the morph list for X product?" to "Here's the Stephanie/Hiro/Freak/Aiko bundles for you to buy!" That would put her out at the end of July, which seems a bit ... soon, really, but I think is very roughly when V5 herself showed up a couple years ago. (Just in time for back to school computer sales!)

And, one suspects -- just suspects, mind -- that when V6 comes along, she'll be either preceded by or pulling along a major upgrade for Studio itself.

I've been wondering about the promo model myself since I first saw her. I admit to being no huge expert at posing, but that smirk is something I can't achieve well nor have seen. The tongue sticking out in the last promo has me stymied also. It might be something do with morphs I don't have or deformers, but when I try that with the current Genesis, the tip of the tongue becomes pointed, it doesn't stay rounded like the one in the promo. If it's not V6, can someone tell me what character that is? I find her adorable.

• Wiccan1Wiccan1 Posts: 198
    edited June 2013

What's Included & Features

Gwen Hair: (.DUF, .CR2 and .OBJ)

Victoria 4:
    Fitting for Victoria 4
    Fitting for Aiko 4

Genesis:
    Genesis Female
    Victoria 4
    Victoria 5
    Aiko 4
    Aiko 5
    Stephanie 4
    Stephanie 5
    The Girl 4

Genesis 2:
    Victoria 6

34 Morphs:

There are actually a lot of fits. Maybe they are working toward stuff that that doesn't have different versions for the different versions of DS and something natively supported by Poser. It
    is annoying but would be a good move! I am tired of different installers, moving content folders hither and yon. I would very much appreciate a simple, straight forward, installation.

P.S. If the model is V6, it looks like they may have moved the teeth a bit more forward in her jaw. That would help with expressions so much! *I miss my emoticons*

Post edited by Wiccan1 on
  • pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited December 1969

I believe I can safely say, without fear of contradiction that it will be released...

...soon. ;)

edited June 2013

Errrrr, this just in: Candace is a high quality character designed for Victoria 6 and for use in DAZ Studio 4.6 (and up) and Poser 9 (and up).

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/fw-candace

In DAZ terms, this is actually sooner then soon.

Post edited by Ameesa on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Ameesa said:
    Errrrr, this just in: Candace is a high quality character designed for Victoria 6 and for use in DAZ Studio 4.6 (and up) and Poser 9 (and up).

1 Shape Preset for Genesis 2 Female

OK, but where IS Genesis 2? LOL

• dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Save 30% now! (Actually use, I dunno, someday?)

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Ameesa said:

Hehe they do seem to be jumping the gun a bit, even though DAZ does love to tease us.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Ameesa said:

I noticed that. Where is this Genesis 2 female?

edited December 1969

Hmmm remember this thread about the vinyl outfit that showed up for a few minutes last week? http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/23347/ . I think I understand DAZ_Kevin's responses a bit more now.

edited December 1969

mark128 said:
    Kerya said:
    Ameesa said:

Hidden in a closet in Daz headquarters ... somebody living in Draper, Utah and able to rescue her? LOL

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    mark128 said:
    Kerya said:
    Ameesa said:

Hidden in a closet in Daz headquarters ... somebody living in Draper, Utah and able to rescue her? LOL

Either DAZ is planning to release Genesis 2/v6 this weekend and slightly jumped the gun with "FW Candace" or DAZ totally jumped the gun and Candace will disappear when people get into the office tomorrow.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,804
    edited June 2013

Ameesa said:
    I've been wondering about the promo model myself since I first saw her. I admit to being no huge expert at posing, but that smirk is something I can't achieve well nor have seen. The tongue sticking out in the last promo has me stymied also. It might be something do with morphs I don't have or deformers, but when I try that with the current Genesis, the tip of the tongue becomes pointed, it doesn't stay rounded like the one in the promo. If it's not V6, can someone tell me what character that is? I find her adorable.

I can't quite get to the smirk myself, but I can get close enough that I think it's doable; I just don't know how, or maybe don't have the right morphs or presets.

The tongue actually is something you can do now; you can get to that with Sickleyield's SY Agile Tongue from Renderosity, plus some of the converted DieTrying morphs. (Tongue-L is kind of terrifying, frankly.)

Given that we now actually have a figure for Victoria 6, I'm guessing that she and Genesis 2 arrive by July 4 at the latest; otherwise this just doesn't make any sense. And if it's that close to release date, she may actually NOT bring a major update to Studio with her -- two large scale updates within three months of each other would be a bit much, really -- although I would expect some sort of compatibility update to Studio itself, and it's clear that Genesis Starter Essentials will get a makeover.

I'm kind of surprised that she's coming along before Dog2 and Cat2, assuming those are even in the works. I'd really expected something for them first. (Heh. Maybe it'll all be a raft of 2-iness. "Genesis 2! Cat 2! Dog 2! Dragon 2! Victoria 6! Whee! Give us all your moneys!")

I wonder how long it will be after this that Michael gets an update? He came out the last week of April 2012, and Victoria 5 was the last week of October 2011 the last time. So, seven months between them, more or less. Victoria 5 has actually been around longer than I thought she had, for some reason. Even so, twenty months is a shortish product cycle, I'd think -- although, come to think of it, that's about the gap between Poser 9/2012 and 10/2014, more or less.

alesia-tongue.png
    854 x 872 - 781K
    Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited June 2013

...considering that some figures like Young Teens5, Freak 5, and Aiko5 were released just this past winter and several pose "enhancements" for Genesis were also recently released, it sure appears they are rushing headlong into the next generation once again.

Slow down, please, we still do not even have G5 or K5 yet.

BTW, Interesting that when you click the link on the Candice page link for the FWArt store page, she does not appear with the other products.

...another thought just crossed my mind.

What happens to all my characters I designed based on the original Genesis? Even if Genesis2 is released as part of an update to the Starter Essentials (since in another thread I heard it is supposed to still be compatible with 4.6) will I have to rebuild them all over again?

edited December 1969

First tab of FW Candace:
    Compatible 3D Figures Genesis 2 Female

Will they split males and females again????