3D World Says DAZ Plans for Generation 6 in 2013 [UPDATE] Well, now it's here!

Comments

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited June 2013

Look at all this support!

Thanks folks.

SEE Daz?

People are tired of rendering yucky old humans!

Listen to the masses!

Remember, for every person who posts in support of such an idea, there are many more opposed to it who don't post out of fear that they will be eaten by Cows From Dimension X!!

Keep our Universe safe from these extra dimensional carnivores!!

Release The Millennium Cow!

They cannot release the cow, for it will anger the goats. And you do not want to piss of the goats. You're already on their black list for spreading this cow propaganda. I'd be extra carefull around goats if I were you. They know who you are...

PS: Mhehhhh!

Post edited by Elele on
  • creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Guess Genesis 2 would be the first new daz product since years that contain a manual included when it's launched.

:cheese:

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited June 2013

...that will be available..."soon".

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,303
    edited June 2013

Sometimes it is fun to just try things out and see what happens.

Purchased Gwen Hair

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/gwen-hair

I noticed that in the DIM there is only one installer that includes both the Genesis and the Gen2 Version.
    Curious to see if that will stay the same or will be updated to two separate installers later.

- Place Genesis in the scene
    - Browse to People/Genesis 2 Female/Hair/SWAM/Gwen Hair and click on "Gwen Hair Genesis 2"

Gwen Hair Genesis 2 is placed into the scene in a default position but no autofit is triggered and the hair is not parented to Genesis.
    If I apply a pose to Genesis the Gwen Hair Genesis 2 stays in its default place.

- Select Gwen Hair Genesis 2 in the scene
    - Go to the paramters tab and select fit to Genesis

Now the autofit dialog is triggered. Currently in the list of selectable figures there are no options for "Genesis" and "Genesis 2 Female". Maybe we will see a DS update on Genesis 2 launch day that adds those options. Also possible that autofit and parenting will be triggered automatically after an update.

- I tried "unsupported" and "Victoria 4" in a second try and the autofit results seem acceptable.

So yes it seems possible to fit a Hair created for Genesis 2 on Genesis.
    - - -

Curious to find out if Genesis 2 Female will have a higher resolution mesh in a way that more detailed zbrush morphs are possible without having to default back to displacement or normal maps.

Gwen_Hair_Gen2_on_Genesis_after_autofit.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 338K
    Gwen_Hair_Gen2_on_Genesis_before_autofit.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 463K
    Post edited by linvanchene on
    edited June 2013

...I've often done manual fittings for hair between different figure generations and figure models, not really all that difficult as any rigging included, such as for bangs, tails, braids, etc is all self contained within the hair prop.

Clothing is where things fall apart because that is dependent on the compatibility with the figure it is fitted to for it to move with poses and minimise poke through. Without an updated Autofit, fitting Genesis2 clothing to Genesis "Classic" would be an extremely tedious chore as it would require a lot of manual adjustment and possibly mesh correction in a modeller like Hexagon.

IMO cloth dynamics is still the best way to go. Unfortunately where Daz is concerned, this is "closed ended" (one cannot create their own dynamic simulations) unless one has 10,000 - 12,000$ to spring for Optitex's Runway Designer software. Marvelous Designer2 would be a much more affordable option in comparison, however clothing built with it uses Triangular polys while Daz/Hexagon employ square polys.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • HellboyHellboy Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Poison at Renderotica, who posts info from DAZ just confirmed this:

-There will be 2 separated bases, one female and one male base.
    -The shape is almost identical, with improvements mainly on belly, back and hands area.
    -The previous Genesis stuff will be usable through the "AutoFit" feature, so we will not loose any stuff.

... and it will be released soon, very soon ...

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:

-The shape is almost identical, with improvements mainly on belly, back and hands area.
    -The previous Genesis stuff will be usable through the "AutoFit" feature, so we will not loose any stuff.

How come a Vendor who doesn't even sell here gets this sort of info.
    If this is the case that they are separate figures, I guess the morphs sets will be separate as well.
    I really am disappointed at this step back I guess Genesis as was just didn't bring in the pennies.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    ... The previous Genesis stuff will be usable through the "AutoFit" feature, so we will not loose any stuff ...

Seeing how horrid AutoFit works at times I hope they have some serious improvements there. It basically only became useable for me due to SickleYield's product.

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Everyone reads one line of information and suddenly thinks they have the whole picture of how the universe works. Fun is fun, but really, we have not enough information to draw ANY real conclusions.

If it's going to break the bank for you, that's reason enough to ignore it. Times are tough, no one can blame you. Even IF it turns out to be incompatible, I am sure there will be enough new items coming out for Genesis I for some time to come. People are still cranking out V4 stuff long after she was discontinued.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Elele said:

Thanks folks.

SEE Daz?

Listen to the masses!

Remember, for every person who posts in support of such an idea, there are many more opposed to it who don't post out of fear that they will be eaten by Cows From Dimension X!!

They cannot release the cow, for it will anger the goats. And you do not want to piss of the goats. You're already on their black list for spreading this cow propaganda. I'd be extra carefull around goats if I were you. They know who you are...

The goats and I have an understanding.

The Millennium Cow comes first, and after that we work together to reduce the Evil Satanic Associations that stupid humans have inflicted upon goats!

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,402
    edited June 2013

Hellboy said:

The separated bases makes me wonder if ALL morphs (except universal ones) will only work on one base or the other, or if we will still be able to mix and match between genders. I guess we'll find out er...soon. I suppose the fact that there is one product already in the store that supports Genesis 2, and another was accidentally released early and then pulled, means that it may be real-world soon, not DAZ soon.

Over in the Shape Shift thread, Zev0 posted a video, but it the link was only supposed to be posted in the PC forum, but I got a look at it before he took it down. The product looks really useful, since there will be versions for Genesis & Genesis 2. From the video, I can't really see anything different about Genesis 2 compared to the original, but that really isn't the focus of the video. I'm not at either the 'love it' or 'hate it' extreme, but I do have a lot of curiosity about the new figure.

Post edited by riftwitch on
  • riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,402
    edited December 1969

Sometimes it is fun to just try things out and see what happens.

Purchased Gwen Hair

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/gwen-hair

I noticed that in the DIM there is only one installer that includes both the Genesis and the Gen2 Version.
    Curious to see if that will stay the same or will be updated to two separate installers later.

- Place Genesis in the scene
    - Browse to People/Genesis 2 Female/Hair/SWAM/Gwen Hair and click on "Gwen Hair Genesis 2"

Gwen Hair Genesis 2 is placed into the scene in a default position but no autofit is triggered and the hair is not parented to Genesis.
    If I apply a pose to Genesis the Gwen Hair Genesis 2 stays in its default place.

- Select Gwen Hair Genesis 2 in the scene
    - Go to the paramters tab and select fit to Genesis

Now the autofit dialog is triggered. Currently in the list of selectable figures there are no options for "Genesis" and "Genesis 2 Female". Maybe we will see a DS update on Genesis 2 launch day that adds those options. Also possible that autofit and parenting will be triggered automatically after an update.

- I tried "unsupported" and "Victoria 4" in a second try and the autofit results seem acceptable.

So yes it seems possible to fit a Hair created for Genesis 2 on Genesis.
    - - -

Curious to find out if Genesis 2 Female will have a higher resolution mesh in a way that more detailed zbrush morphs are possible without having to default back to displacement or normal maps.

That was interesting. I may have to pick that hair up. I would imagine that plugins like LAMH and Garibaldi will work fine on the new Genesis. I don't have the latter, but I know LAMH will let you put hair on any item in your scene.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Elele said:

Thanks folks.

SEE Daz?

Listen to the masses!

The Millennium Cow comes first, and after that we work together to reduce the Evil Satanic Associations that stupid humans have inflicted upon goats!

I'll take the whole barnyard if they decided to make them.

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

Elele said:

Thanks folks.

SEE Daz?

Listen to the masses!

I see they already succeeded in gaining your trust. It won't be long now...

• KerwinKerwin Posts: 123
    edited December 1969

There's a couple ways that separate basis could work. For example they could simply be morphs of the original Genesis mesh (same point order/polygon order/count) and they have been sculpted to give a cleaner starting point. In that case all morphs could be applied, but it might cause some overshoot.

An alternative scenario might be that DAZ has adopted morph projection technology (perhaps leveraging their existing Autofit tech) which will project an existing morph of genesis 1 mesh onto the genesis 2 mesh(es) ... assuming we're starting with relatively close meshes, fidelity might not be too bad.

We'll just have to see what DAZ has up its sleeve. (The same idea could be use in DSON to project onto native CR2 mesh, and project weight maps, too...but there would rigging variances which probably would not make it worth it....)

-K

• HellboyHellboy Posts: 1,437
    edited June 2013

Hellboy said:

If this is the case that they are separate figures, I guess the morphs sets will be separate as well.
    I really am disappointed at this step back I guess Genesis as was just didn't bring in the pennies.

I-have-no-idea-if-he-sells-here-or-not-or-if-someone-else-tells-him-and-he-just-pass-the-info,-or-if-hes-a-beta-tester,-or-what.
    In-any-case-his-info-is-accurate.-Features,-release-dates...Sometimes-you-get-details-first-at-Renderotica-than-here.-Victoria5-release-date-was-known-there-while-everyone-here-was-speculating-and-wondering.XD

Anyway,-I-agree-that-separate-figures-is-a-step-backwards.-I-am-excited-by-the-idea-of-a-new-Genesis.-But-a-single-figure-was-the-best-part-in-my-opinion.-Too-bad.

(Sorry,-I-have-no-space-bar)

Post edited by Hellboy on
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2013

Elele said:

Thanks folks.

SEE Daz?

Listen to the masses!

All this ranting about cows and goats!! Bahhhh! Nobody even cares about skunks!! There isn't even a Generation 1 Skunk to be had in all Poserdom!! Ok, ok... there are a quite a few cartoon skunks that are absolutely adorable....

BUT!!! No REAL skunk to be found. (And don't tell me about the one at content paradise...cuz...

Puhleeease!!! Does that thing even look like a skunk to you???)

HAHAHA!!!!!

(someone needs to be a poster kid for the skunks)

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited December 1969

and no ferret.. atleast no REAL looking ferret *growls in annoyance before going to weep tears*

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Elele said:

Thanks folks.

SEE Daz?

Listen to the masses!

All this ranting about cows and goats!! Bahhhh! Nobody even cares about skunks!! There isn't even a Generation 1 Skunk to be had in all Poserdom!! Ok, ok... there are a quite a few cartoon skunks that are absolutely adorable....

BUT!!! No REAL skunk to be found. (And don't tell me about the one at content paradise...cuz...

HAHAHA!!!!!

Have you seen this one Jas? http://www.lynescreations.com/lynefree17.htm It's a good price too.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Elele said:

Thanks folks.

SEE Daz?

Listen to the masses!

HAHAHA!!!!!

Have you seen this one Jas? http://www.lynescreations.com/lynefree17.htm It's a good price too.

OMG!!!

NO! I had not seen that!!!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!

And ... omg...it's FREE!!!!

AWESOME times AWESOME equals what?

Thanks! *smiles*

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Elele said:

Thanks folks.

SEE Daz?

Listen to the masses!

HAHAHA!!!!!

OMG!!!

NO! I had not seen that!!!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!

And ... omg...it's FREE!!!!

AWESOME times AWESOME equals what?

Thanks! *smiles*

Glad you got that skunk taken care of! Which brings us to answering your next question :

AWESOME times AWESOME equals The Millennium Cow!

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:

...wondering the same myself considering one cannot even link to the site from here.

edited December 1969

...still waiting for a good Drop Bear.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited June 2013

Vaskania said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Vaskania said:
    barbult said:
    The new Gwen hair product says it supports
    Genesis 2:
    Victoria 6

o_O

If this one isn't FULLY backwards compatible, I just might have to slap somebody...

in the face...

with a chair.

Large heavy chair.

...or a frozen 15 kilo Lake Sturgeon
    LMAO oh man that brings me back to slapping people in irc with a trout.

That reminds me of the Monty Python Fish Slapping Dance : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwLirQS2-o

The rest of this Genesis 2 stuff is starting to remind me that Women are from Venus Men are from Mars : )

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

Anyways I discovered that Genesis was not symmetrical .
    So ya could not uses active symmetry in zBrush when Genesis is posed in a un symmetrical way.

Is Genesis 2 symmetrical ?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

RorrKonn said:

So ya could not uses active symmetry in zBrush when Genesis is posed in a un symmetrical way.

Good question!

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

RorrKonn said:

Good question, I've had problems with that too, but I thought it was my mistake. not in Zbrush but in other packages. Sometimes it's fine, other times it isn't. Never figured it out and gave up.

• RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    edited June 2013

RorrKonn said:

Good question, I've had problems with that too, but I thought it was my mistake. not in Zbrush but in other packages. Sometimes it's fine, other times it isn't. Never figured it out and gave up.

Been a while ,I think they tracked it down to one of the forearms.not sure if I'm remembering this right or not thou.
    I never atempted to fix it.

Post edited by RorrKonn on
  • XenaXena Posts: 650
    edited December 1969

RorrKonn said:

Perhaps Daz did it on purpose? Everyone always says they want more realism in their characters ... humans aren't symmetrical so wouldn't it make sense for a 'realistic' character like Genesis to be asymmetrical? (:

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited June 2013

Xena said:
    RorrKonn said:

Perhaps Daz did it on purpose? Everyone always says they want more realism in their characters ... humans aren't symmetrical so wouldn't it make sense for a 'realistic' character like Genesis to be asymmetrical? (:

Genesis is symmetrical and symmetry works in zbrush, I use it all the time. Are you trying to use symmetry on a posed character in asymmetrical pose, rather than the default TPose?

Post edited by Male-M3dia on