3D World Says DAZ Plans for Generation 6 in 2013 [UPDATE] Well, now it's here!

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited June 2013

..interesting and somewhat unsettling observation.

However, that would be a bit like Daz shooting themselves in the foot though considering Genesis has been marketed as "the most versatile 3D figure available".

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

I'm thinking its wording based on the assumption not many people would use the morph on a male figure.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...considering that some figures like Young Teens5, Freak 5, and Aiko5 were released just this past winter and several pose "enhancements" for Genesis were also recently released, it sure appears they are rushing headlong into the next generation once again.

Slow down, please, we still do not even have G5 or K5 yet.

BTW, Interesting that when you click the link on the Candice page link for the FWArt store page, she does not appear with the other products.

Re: G5/K5 - Not every DAZ Character will appear in every generation...

Re: Candace not appearing in FWArt's store yet - In my experience that's common for a few hours after a release; the store list (cached?) doesn't get updated for a bit.

I believe, without any basis, that V6/Gen2 will be built around the improved subdivision capabilities, and maybe extended texturing power of the new release, but will be significantly more compatible with Genesis than Genesis was with 4G characters. I'm curious if it'll have default flat feet or not, but I think the odds are that it takes after Genesis in that respect. :)

Note the DSON Core and PoserCF files for Candace...that suggests that it will use the same translation mechanism, and compatibility will be unchanged.

All told, I expect it to be an evolution.

That said, I'm not at my financial best these days (albeit not as bad as you KK, good luck!), so I'm going to be wincing when V6/Gen2 comes out, prolly before the end of this month, because DUH, I'm addicted... :)

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    I'm thinking its wording based on the assumption not many people would use the morph on a male figure.

...maybe it's just me, but I cross mix male/female morphs together when creating certain characters. However, the wording is still a bit misleading, making it sound as Kerya mentioned that there will be two Genesis figures, one male, one female.

I really love the fact that with Genesis one can cross-dress (not only gender wise, but also between different types of characters as well) with little issue. That really helps out the ol' budget.

If anything, I hope at the very least they solve some of he autofit issues.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,950
    edited December 1969

>Candace is a high quality character designed for Victoria 6

Did I miss something?

edited June 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    Vaskania said:

...maybe it's just me, but I cross mix male/female morphs together when creating certain characters. However, the wording is still a bit misleading, making it sound as Kerya mentioned that there will be two Genesis figures, one male, one female.

I really love the fact that with Genesis one can cross-dress (not only gender wise, but also between different types of characters as well) with little issue. That really helps out the ol' budget.

If anything, I hope at the very least they solve some of he autofit issues.

I've done it a few times as well. The one I remember was a thread on the old forums about a male counterpart for Hitomi and I did a mix between Hitomi and M5 with other dials mixed in.

I solved a lot of my autofit issues with SY rigging. I can now happily use the V4 gothic dresses I've got without them getting mangled to bits.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Discussion here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13523/

Merging this thread

edited June 2013

...I actually used a bit of Justin in creating Leela's daughter Annika to help give her that slightly "awkward" physique a ten to eleven year old has. For Leela's friend Tracey, I used a bit of the "boy face" morph to give her a more tomboyish appearance.

...this is why I have come to enjoy working with Genesis.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Yea, not every girl/woman/etc have dainty features, and sure as hell don't look like supermodels. Look at some of the wrestling girls, some of them have some pretty strong jawlines and larger than average hands.

I'd imagine it also comes in handy for people who create full families of characters. Children have features of both parents, so it's only natural that you should mix in some of each 'parent' morphs.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

Well, I can tell you something: I go ahead and bought FW Candance, which results unusable currently. Neither the shape or any materials presets apply on current Genesis figure.

edited June 2013

The shape I can see not working, seeing as there is no V6 yet, but the mats? Oi vey. Please don't tell me Gen2 is going to have a whole other mapping. >.<</p>

Maybe the surface areas are changing and DS/Genesis will have a minor update?

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Well, isn't that interesting.

Speaking for myself I don't have the money or inclination to by a whole new set of figures. I like Genesis. I'm still learning Genesis. I see no reason to upgrade.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

So like the TriAx->TriAx transfer tool update in 4.6, I'm wondering if the new surface groups feature is also really to support Genesis 2. E.g., now we may have separate mat zones for left and right eyes, for example, with a pre-defined surface group that includes both eyes so older material preset files will still work on Genesis 2. Unfortunately, the surface -> texture file mapping of the UVs I doubt will change, as that would break compatibility with V4 and Genesis skins. So we are still going to have a high-res face, medium-to-low res torso, and low-res limbs.

If you look at the files list for the two 'leaked' products so far, there is a new Genesis 2 in the data folder, with Female as a top level sub-folder under that with Morphs under that. And then in the 'user visible' section, it's People/Genesis 2 Female. I wouldn't be surprised if this is more just an organizational thing. Genesis 2 looks to still have all the morphs under it, so you can mix and match your morphs as needed. But it should be easier to find stuff for end users.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

I'm definitely not ready for Genesis 2 nor Victoria 6, I just finished getting the Gen 5 figures that Daz released, I was at least hoping for a few months of catch up for other stuff in the store, but if V6 Pro bundle will be out really soon then I guess I will not be buying anything in hopes of being able to spend the $100+ for the new Genesis and Victoria 6 bundles, or just hold off and hope it goes on sale in October

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited December 1969

Personally, I havent' even been able to buy ANY of the generation 5 characters.... I had a thought of trying to invest in D5 when this paycheck comes.. but now, I honestly have no idea what to do. I just dont know if it's worth it to invest in any generation 5 or just to wait and se what happens :/

/C

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

We have Carrara 8.5 getting released end of the summer.

Another build of Studio is in the works from what I can gather from a support request I put in.

I don't expect a major figure release to occur during the PA sales.

V5 got released end of October - early November. PC members had access to her first.

If I had to guess we'll get a release some time before the PA sale or right after the PC celebration this year. I'm more inclined to think it is going to be during the PC celebration given the Carrara release and the PA sales are not that far away. (I do hope something I got told about 8.5 at Comic Con about it which I can't repeat, is still correct.)

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

Interesting! I hope the new system supports the old morphs etc, but if not, I got room for both in my runtime...

But here's a screencap of Candace.

FWCandace.png
    776 x 904 - 332K
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

I don't see the logic in releasing products that don't work on the existing Genesis if launch isn't right around the corner - as in within the next couple of weeks. Unless this is another mistake.

• kurisu2112kurisu2112 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Interesting! I hope the new system supports the old morphs etc, but if not, I got room for both in my runtime...

Looks like it's gone now.

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,130
    edited June 2013

I wonder how many they sold...

Now, its a Collector's item!

EDIT: it's still in the Documentation Center:
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/16480/start

Post edited by Cayman Studios on
  • kurisu2112kurisu2112 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Cayman said:

At least 1

If you use the product link it comes up 404 Not Found

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,200
    edited June 2013

Well, there is almost a dozen characters for V5, it's clearly high time we move the the next figure.

Why in the name of whoever would DAZ move to a new figure instead of building and improving and expanding their existing one? That's only very slowly starting to get any acceptance outside the DAZ shop itself. You'd think someone looked at it and realized Genesis is a dead end, either technologically or economically, so they decided to kill it.

Truth to be told, I always wondered who well Genesis could possibly be doing, if it's barely even recognized outside DAZ itself. So my first thought when I saw Candace in the shop was: "Well, they probably have to make a new figure with full Poser compatibility because Genesis is falling flat on it's face." But if it's true that it will still need that silly exporter - well then it just looks like what a crazy person might do.

Unless Genesis 2 turns out to be just an update to Genesis - I find this quite unsettling. Of course, maybe I'm just wrong about everything and DAZ really just thinks that the life cycle of a figure should be this short. Either way, I don't see me switching to yet another figure anytime soon. Unless, of course, it turns out to be the greatest thing ever.

Post edited by Barubary on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969
  • DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I'm not happy about a new DAZ figure to replace Genesis at this point. Way. way too soon.

But it's interesting looking at that Candace product page in the document centre and the file list:

The morph data files go in \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\Morphs\ and the user facing files go in \People\Genesis 2 Female\Characters\.

In current Genesis there's no 'female' like that in the paths for character data and user files. It rather suggests there's going to be separate Genesis 2 Male and Genesis 2 Female base figures in place of the current single Genesis base figure. Hmm. The only real reason I can think of for them doing that is to have the gens included in the base mesh.

The other thing, I suppose, is that DS now has several different types of Subd available, including the Pixar one now available in Poser 2014, but that type of SubD isn't the DS original subd that Genesis was made for. Genesis's mesh was specifically made to work with the original (now 'legacy') DS SubD, and isn't perhaps optimal for the Pixar SubD method. So with both Poser 2014 and DS now able to use the Pixar SubD, perhaps Genesis 2 might basically be just an optimisation of the mesh for the Pixar rather than the legacy SubD method. But hat's just a guess.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

If DAZ is going to relaunch Genesis with Genesis 2 I wish they would drop the whole Vx, Mx figure naming scheme. I would much prefer they switch to an expansion pack scheme, Vx and Mx would become the Realistic Human pack. Then instead of a Sx and Dx it would the Proportions pack. Toons and monstrous freaky shape would be handled the same. This way we get the female and male shapes at the same time and as a unified style so we don't have another Hitomi, Hiro, Aiko situation.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Cayman said:

According to the Documentation Center page, Candace will be installed in “People:Genesis 2 Female:Characters:FWArt:Candace”

There is a separate directory for the Genesis 2 Female. Will Genesis 2 have different base figures for male and female characters?

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,768
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

It was in the ad slideshow on the FastGrab page earlier this morning, but is now gone from there too...

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Well...i would hate it if i go excited and then be disappointed again...so i'll just keep a small basket this time...

But seriously...i would like to know about poser compatibility...

:)

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:
    Well...i would hate it if i go excited and then be disappointed again...so i'll just keep a small basket this time...

But seriously...i would like to know about poser compatibility...

:)

The vanished product page listed "DSON importer for Poser, DAZ Studio 4.6" as compatible 3d software. That would imply that Genesis 2 will work in Poser the same way Genesis does now.

Also seems to imply Genesis 2 will only work in DAZ Studio 4.6, not in earlier versions.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    barbult said:
    The new Gwen hair product says it supports
    Genesis 2:
    Victoria 6

o_O

If this one isn't FULLY backwards compatible, I just might have to slap somebody...

in the face...

with a chair.

I officially adore you! lmao!