NEW VR/AR RENDER CONTEST: WIN A $500 Store Credit

DAZ_SyydDAZ_Syyd Posts: 6
edited December 2016 in The Commons

Hey Everybody!

Start rendering some great images that represent VR (Virtual Reality) and AR (Augmented Reality) and win big!

All images need to be posted to the gallery. 

Make sure your image title includes the following tag at the end:  #VR.

Contest Ends:  November 17, 2016.

Winner gets a $500 store credit.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Syyd

Post edited by Daz Jack Tomalin on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

That sounds fun. Can you point us to a tutorial? Is AR/VR part of the latest DAZ Studio Public Beta?

• That sounds fun. Can you point us to a tutorial? Is AR/VR part of the latest DAZ Studio Public Beta?

The post says "images that represent " I'm guessing that this means that the image doesn't have to be an actual VR AR compatible image eg: eqiurectagular.

darren_dd9be07039 said:

That sounds fun. Can you point us to a tutorial? Is AR/VR part of the latest DAZ Studio Public Beta?

The post says "images that represent " I'm guessing that this means that the image doesn't have to be an actual VR AR compatible image eg: eqiurectagular.

​OK, but the viewer should be able to turn 360 degrees in the image right? Much as if you had a camera on an axis and rotated that camera about 360 degrees?

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,947

Don't think this is for an actual VR/AR image, just one that represents it, such as someone wearing VR goggles, etc.

• https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL403UZF5-5dIRzfe0i4NVT-GyicTfVvpE

yeah only YouTube and Facebook can easily host latter, some by me

my gallery pretty barren I am afraid

edited November 2016

Thanks ToeJam, I needed some sort of clarification what represent means when we know it couldn't be an actual VR/AR image that we would submit. You must have some computer to load all those models at once.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,760

Cool.  If I only could remember what those goggles are called to find them in the store to render them.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,927
    edited November 2016

Oculus Rift

Google Cardboard

Samsung VR gear

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Thanks ToeJam, I needed some sort of clarification what represent means when we know it couldn't be an actual VR/AR image that we would submit. You must have some computer to load all those models at once.

The image itself should be a normal 2D image.  But it should show off, or inspire the spirit/experience of VR and/or AR.  As to what that really means, that's where you get to get creative :)

OK, Steve, thanks...

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014

Only images created in DS?

• So it could be Oculus Rift style goggles (VR) or Pokemon Go style 'through your phone' (AR)?

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited November 2016

I'm thinking something like these?

Main.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 539K
    Post edited by Midnight_stories on
  • PS not for the contest just example:

• mmmmm I wonder if this means D|S is finally going to get a spherical camera like Bryce, Carrara and Vue have had from day one?

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

I think this is going to be fun to see what everyone comes up with.

Not sure if I can partake in this contest is it open to all?

I am going to have to search high and low for stuff to help with thee type renders!!

BTW: How many enteries we allowed to post?

edited November 2016

Google has an improved Google Cardboard out now called Google Daydream. Personally I'd like to see a top flight guided / music planetarium be made for those.

I guess I'll enter pictures although it seems their might not be a limit to entries. Just end the name of your entry in #VR.jpg and the limit of your computer rendering spends and your motive to create them is the limit til Nov 17 at contest close day.

It takes me a day to render an image so that would make me have about 15 entries.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • I would love to enter but it seems a bit vague are there any rules on size,do we use daz,is postwork allowed,how many entries per person?

• Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837

Seems like you can enter as many times as you want, so you can churn out as many images as your computer will let you. Of course, they have to be good, which might be a limiting factor wink

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,760

I'm thinking something like these?

Where or when?

• ToeJam said:

mmmmm I wonder if this means D|S is finally going to get a spherical camera like Bryce, Carrara and Vue have had from day one?

You might want to look at http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_9_3_121 (the stuff above the Incremented Build Number line is what's in that version).

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the avatar movie comes to mind, (not the airbender one smiley)

TRON?

• ToeJam said:

mmmmm I wonder if this means D|S is finally going to get a spherical camera like Bryce, Carrara and Vue have had from day one?

You might want to look at http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_9_3_121 (the stuff above the Incremented Build Number line is what's in that version).

Lens Distortion Type (spherical, cylindrical, stereo, etc), mmmmm interesting

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,747

Love this! I was thinking of doing one anyway earlier for a PC contest and never got around to it, so now I can do my original idea. I'm obsessed with VR! Just wish Apple had goggles for the iPhone. And Midnight_stories, I LOVE your renders!

• One more Q:  Can we / should we also post the pic in this thread?  Y'know, for discussion and stuff.

• One more Q:  Can we / should we also post the pic in this thread?  Y'know, for discussion and stuff.

no reason you could not embed if you wanted to.

I am more interested in this new spherical camera and the potential to do HDRis with it and the rules as far as redistributing renders as derivative works of sets, I geneneraly do not share ones I do in Carrara etc for that reason as single images, rather I do videos which are lower quality and more for viewing.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

how do i see the entries in gallery?

gallery workings is mysterious

• MistyMist said:

how do i see the entries in gallery?

gallery workings is mysterious

Normally you could search by the tag - but the OP suggests putting the tag in the image name (which wouldn't work the same).  So I dunno - I guess I'll add #VR as a tag as well as in the image name, just in case ;)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,927
    edited November 2016

oh the Spherical camera in latest beta works BTW

https://youtu.be/8TozDmU-KeU

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864
    edited November 2016

What an interesting theme!

Here's my render featuring my all time favorite Eva 7 : )

Post edited by Chohole on