The Fabricator

3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Does The Fabricator work in Iray or is it 3Delight only? 

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577
    edited October 2016

...I use it a lot with Iray and it works fine.  Just remember to set 3DL Lighting Mode for normal cloth to Matte or it migfht look like plastic when rendered in Iray.

I also convert to Iray by applying the Base Uber Iray shader using the "ignore" option then make,any final suirface adjustmemts that are needed.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    kyoto kid said:

...I use it a lot with Iray and it works fine.  Just remember to set 3DL Lighting Mode for normal cloth to Matte or it migfht look like plastic when rendered in Iray.

I also convert to Iray by applying the Base Uber Iray shader using the "ignore" option then make,any final suirface adjustmemts that are needed.

Thank you, Kyoto Kid! :) I can never tell with the older products if they are 3DL only. 

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

I have made lots of free shaders for Fabricator, although they can be used for anything else, and they work fine in Iray.

edited October 2016
    Wilmap said:

I have made lots of free shaders for Fabricator, although they can be used for anything else, and they work fine in Iray.

Oh sweet! :D I have a lot of your freebies and I LOVE them. You do awesome work! Knowing you have some Fabricator shaders makes me want to get it even more now. Many of my favorite things were made by you. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • What exactly is the Fabricator and what does it do?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,156

I used to use Fabricator a lot, until I found similar products designed specifically for Iray. Now I've found that I prefer the additional features of PD Iray Shader Kit 1 and PD Iray Shader Kit 2 when modifying textures for Iray rendering. There are some forum threads about them, if you want to see them in use. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/63978/pd-iray-shader-kit-wow/p1 and http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/73420/pd-iray-shader-kit-2-by-parrotdolphin/p1

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    If shaders are just texture based and don't require some sort of 3dl specific function they will translate to any render engine, you just have to setup the look
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I'm more likely to use the PD iRay shader kits these days too, but used to use The Fabricator a lot. Nothing that no one else has already mentioned, I know - I just wanted to add how much I love your new avatar :)

• barbult said:

I used to use Fabricator a lot, until I found similar products designed specifically for Iray. Now I've found that I prefer the additional features of PD Iray Shader Kit 1 and PD Iray Shader Kit 2 when modifying textures for Iray rendering. There are some forum threads about them, if you want to see them in use. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/63978/pd-iray-shader-kit-wow/p1 and http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/73420/pd-iray-shader-kit-2-by-parrotdolphin/p1

This is what I'm currently using a lot, too.  So, I'm guessing if I have these then I don't really need the Fabricator unless I start doing more in 3Delight maybe?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

Could always try it and return it if it's not really useful

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254
    barbult said:

This is what I'm currently using a lot, too.  So, I'm guessing if I have these then I don't really need the Fabricator unless I start doing more in 3Delight maybe?

Or unless you want access to the textures that it, or its add-ons use. There are some beauties in there.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

Is Marieah still around?

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,148
    JOdel said:
    barbult said:

Or unless you want access to the textures that it, or its add-ons use. There are some beauties in there.

I'm not sure that there are add-ons that actually require you to have The Fabricator itself - I think they are standalone? (Although I have them all, so I can't try them to see). I particularly love (and use a lot) the Totally Bazaar set and the Ye Olde Clothe - but beware these rely on displacement quite a bit, so may need rather more tweaking for Iray. I still use 3Delight a lot so can still get a lot of use out of them.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

Reminder that converting displacement to Normal is very easy, either via Photoshop or http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

I highly recommend this for Iray, particularly for stuff where displacement isn't huge (like fabric but not asteroid surfaces)

I need to try that sometime, Will. I don't have Photoshop (just Elements, which doesn't do it) and my main PC isn't internet connected, so I'd have to ship all the textures to my laptop (I deleted the .zip DIM DL's for these to save space) and ship the results back!

Thank you guys! I've added the PD Iray Shader Kits to my wish list (as they are quite a bit out of my budget at the moment). I'll probably get the Fabricator as well - one can always use more options when kit bashing. :)

Thank you for the help! :)

I'm more likely to use the PD iRay shader kits these days too, but used to use The Fabricator a lot. Nothing that no one else has already mentioned, I know - I just wanted to add how much I love your new avatar :)

hahah Thank you! :D That's put a bit smile on my face! 

• MelanieL said:
    JOdel said:
    barbult said:

I'm not sure that there are add-ons that actually require you to have The Fabricator itself - I think they are standalone? (Although I have them all, so I can't try them to see). I particularly love (and use a lot) the Totally Bazaar set and the Ye Olde Clothe - but beware these rely on displacement quite a bit, so may need rather more tweaking for Iray. I still use 3Delight a lot so can still get a lot of use out of them.

I have Totally Bazaar, but didn't realize it was related.  I have Ye Old Clothe bundle on my wishlist.  I may go ahead and get it at some point if the price is right. 

As to what Will said, yeah, I love normal maps.  Super easy to do in GIMP, too, with the Insane Bump plugin.  I think there is a plugin just for normal maps, too.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    barbult said:

There's also Fisty's.  I love the Lace!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,156
    Novica said:
    barbult said:

There's also Fisty's.  I love the Lace!

Oooooh nice! Thanks, I bought it just now, along with another Fisty item.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    MelanieL said:
    JOdel said:
    barbult said:

I have Totally Bazaar, but didn't realize it was related.  I have Ye Old Clothe bundle on my wishlist.  I may go ahead and get it at some point if the price is right. 

As to what Will said, yeah, I love normal maps.  Super easy to do in GIMP, too, with the Insane Bump plugin.  I think there is a plugin just for normal maps, too.

I have Ye Olde Clothe - it is a fantastic set of gorgeous fabrics!  If you are looking for the rich look especially classical, I highly recommend them.  I use 3Delight, but follow the instructions above to convert them.

• Hey isn't there some other flakey chick who does shaders too? *Smacks head* I'm the flakey chick.Heh.

Seriously though, I owe Mariah a debt because it was she who got me into making shaders in the first place. My Surface Builder line was an attempt to recreate some of Fabricator's functionality for Iray. Now here's the beauty part, pretty much all of the shaders in the store that use the Iray Uber base shader and have partial presets to just change one aspect of the surface (like top coat, base color, metallic flakes, bumps/normal only) can fairly well all work together. Like PD's colors, with Fisty's bump maps, and DG's patterns with the3Dwizard's dirt? Go ahead and use them all!

• Hey isn't there some other flakey chick who does shaders too? *Smacks head* I'm the flakey chick.Heh.

Seriously though, I owe Mariah a debt because it was she who got me into making shaders in the first place. My Surface Builder line was an attempt to recreate some of Fabricator's functionality for Iray. Now here's the beauty part, pretty much all of the shaders in the store that use the Iray Uber base shader and have partial presets to just change one aspect of the surface (like top coat, base color, metallic flakes, bumps/normal only) can fairly well all work together. Like PD's colors, with Fisty's bump maps, and DG's patterns with the3Dwizard's dirt? Go ahead and use them all!

And, I must say you do a great job of it.  Too great if my product library is anything to go by because I seem to have collected most if not all of your shaders.  :)  I do like your Surface Builder line.  I have both.  I've been having a bit of fun playing with them.  I really hope we are going to see more additions to the line.

I haven't mixed all of those different products together.  Hmm, I'll have to think about that on my next project.  You are just full of interesting ideas.  :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577
    edited October 2016
    Wilmap said:

...I just used one of your lace textures and it came out perfect.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

hahah Thank you! :D That's put a bit smile on my face! 

I don't.... I fear change . It firightens me.

Hey isn't there some other flakey chick who does shaders too? *Smacks head* I'm the flakey chick.Heh.

Yeah, and I have most of your shader sets too! (And Fisty's - I'm a retexturing junkie laugh)

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I've got shaders from just about everybody too, but I can't see my current favourite, Destiny's Garden's Iray Fabrics of Asia not get a mention - I'm finding excuses to use those everywhere right now :) I really like the tiling script that comes with Parrot Dolphin's shaders and so I have it stuck up in my Scripts menu so that it's quickly accessible to use with any shader. That gets used most days too.

• I've got shaders from just about everybody too, but I can't see my current favourite, Destiny's Garden's Iray Fabrics of Asia not get a mention - I'm finding excuses to use those everywhere right now :) I really like the tiling script that comes with Parrot Dolphin's shaders and so I have it stuck up in my Scripts menu so that it's quickly accessible to use with any shader. That gets used most days too.

Same here. A lot of those I use for 'Greek' patterns as well. She puts a lot of work into those shaders.
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

Oh yeah, the Fabricator... ne of the most versatile

Marieah is the one who first turned me onto the power of shaders as well, back when she was running a contest to promote the release of Pimp My Prop.  Now I don't know how I'd manage without them.  

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Older product and 3dl are pretty much synonymous.. if it doesn't say Iray or include Iray settings / shaders in info, it's a safe bet that it doesn't support iray 

kyoto kid said:

Thank you, Kyoto Kid! :) I can never tell with the older products if they are 3DL only.