Pd Iray Shader Kit... WOW

mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

Just took a look at the Pd Iray Shader Kit... this looks *amazing*. Not to mention the base and color layers for LIE. Has any product actually included layers like that in the past?

Anyhow, I'm particularly excited because it seems like we get a variety of shaders (and crochets :D ) for a pretty good price :)

Comments

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

It is a fantastic set. I've played with it and I also added some of my own patterns and they work beautifully.  Her stuff is always great.  Hope she makes some more.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,317

I totally skimmed over this due to the main promo pic I thought it was more dresses for G3F, should have used one of Mavrosh's images that would have got my attention.

I find the blurb a bit confusing it talks of creating shaders but it really means presets.

It does look extremly useful though.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

I've got it in my basket. The free leather shaders from deviantart were great. This set would seem a fantastic kit and value.

• DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096

I'm actually kind of curious as to what I could use this for. It seems to lend itself to merchant resource use, but there are no notes on it anywhere to suggest I'd get away with that.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

I'm actually kind of curious as to what I could use this for. It seems to lend itself to merchant resource use, but there are no notes on it anywhere to suggest I'd get away with that.

I'll mainly use it to kit-bash stuff together, especially with the crocheting layers.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255

I've been sighing over the artist's Poser shaders for years. They're marvelous, but inaccessible to a Studio user. I was really pleased when she brought out a DS version of her Dirty-Pretty shaders and the Metals pack. The leather freebies were a wonderful bonus. 

I never expected that I'd see her(?) turn up here! A bit of a bummer that it's geared for Iray, but hardly a deal breaker.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

It looks amazing, and will soon be seeing how amazing.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,209
    edited October 2015

It is fantastic! I'm very impressed by this product. It makes me think of The Fabricator on steroids for Iray. Be sure to read the included PDF file for some ideas on how to get the most out of it. There is a BRILLIANT script to adjust texture scaling. That one script icon handily replaces all those million texture tiling icons other vendors use. Here are some renders I did already to try out some of the shaders. Look at the image full size to see the texture details from the shader.

1) Rose Fairy completely recolored and retextured with PD Iray Shader Kit 1

2) Same Rose Fairy outfit modified slightly to use some metal overlay textures from PD Iray Shader Kit 1

3) Hobby Clothes completely retextured as knitwear and PVC coat with PD Iray Shader Kit 1. I toned down the PVC shininess a little to tweak the look I wanted on the coat - more of a rubberized look. It is easy to make custom adjustments in the Surfaces tab, just like any other texture.

Edit: oops, second Rose Fairy didn't attach. I'm trying again.

River Road background and HDRI lighting is from HDRI-HUB. The HDRI was free, released under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

Rose Fairy GauzeRose Fairy Metal OverlayHobby Clothes

G3F Rose Fairy PD Shaders Gauze Iray.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 1M
    G3F Hobby Clothes PD Shaders hand in pockets Kimmie texture Iray.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 910K
    G3F Rose Fairy PD Shaders Iray.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    Thanks for the renders barbult, you just tipped this from a wishlist pick it up later to a must have now!!!
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,165
    edited October 2015
    barbult said:

... It makes me think of The Fabricator on steroids for Iray ...

Well this phrase has pretty much sold me - I've been looking and wondering as I have so many fabric shader sets, the pics you show sell it well too.

PS: Can the clever script be used on other shader presets, I wonder? I find the umpteen icons for x1, x2, x6, x99, x437.234 a bit of a pain too.

Post edited by MelanieL on
    MelanieL said:
    barbult said:

Well this phrase has pretty much sold me - I've been looking and wondering as I have so many fabric shader sets, the pics you show sell it well too.

PS: Can the clever script be used on other shader presets, I wonder? I find the umpteen icons for x1, x2, x6, x99, x437.234 a bit of a pain too.

Yes, the script works for me on other shaders, too. I'm guessing that as long as the shader has horizontal and vertical tiling entries, the script will work.

• MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 466

I so totally agree, it is stunning... in fact, I was going to wait to buy it, but gonna get it today!

edited October 2015

I can't stop playing, and I have so much other stuff I should be doing!

In this one I used The Fabricator to apply a fancy knit texture to the Hobby Tshirt. Then I used the PD Shader Kit 1 to apply the Cotton setting keeping images. Then I used the tiling script to adjust the texture to the size I wanted. I pasted the Fabricator bump texture into the Cutout Opacity to make it lacier. On the Abigail Pants I used one of the LIE presets in PD Shader Kit 1 and changed the color with the LIE to match the Tshirt. On the hanging chair cushions, I applied a texture from Totally Bazaar and applied the Cotton setting keeping images. Then I used the tiling script to adjust the texture to the size I wanted.

Lighting and background are from No Emotion HDRs. It is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0.

Hanging Chair

G3F in Hanging Chair Fabricator and PD Shaders.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501
    barbult said:

I can't stop playing, and I have so much other stuff I should be doing!

In this one I used The Fabricator to apply a fancy knit texture to the Hobby Tshirt. Then I used the PD Shader Kit 1 to apply the Cotton setting keeping images. Then I used the tiling script to adjust the texture to the size I wanted. I pasted the Fabricator bump texture into the Cutout Opacity to make it lacier. On the Abigail Pants I used one of the LIE presets in PD Shader Kit 1 and changed the color with the LIE to match the Tshirt. On the hanging chair cushions, I applied a texture from Totally Bazaar and applied the Cotton setting keeping images. Then I used the tiling script to adjust the texture to the size I wanted.

Lighting and background are from No Emotion HDRs. It is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0.

Hanging Chair

Very nice choice of colors. The clothes and the chair-swing fabric really match :)

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,165
    barbult said:
    MelanieL said:
    barbult said:

Yes, the script works for me on other shaders, too. I'm guessing that as long as the shader has horizontal and vertical tiling entries, the script will work.

I succumbed! Now I know what I'll be playing with tomorrow smiley

• barbult said:

Then I used the tiling script to adjust the texture to the size I wanted.

Not to derail the thread, or anything, but can I ask you a question? Is the tiling script that much easier to use than simply changing the tiling to whatever value you need in the surfaces tab? In the interest of not wanting to include tile presets from 1-100 in my own products, I limit them to the 10 or so that I found most useful when making the promos, and put a note in the users's guide where to find the sliders for further adjustments, as needed.If the scipty thing is more user friendly though, I'll consider it for the future. Thanks in advance! 

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

barbult said:

Not to derail the thread, or anything, but can I ask you a question? Is the tiling script that much easier to use than simply changing the tiling to whatever value you need in the surfaces tab? In the interest of not wanting to include tile presets from 1-100 in my own products, I limit them to the 10 or so that I found most useful when making the promos, and put a note in the users's guide where to find the sliders for further adjustments, as needed.If the scipty thing is more user friendly though, I'll consider it for the future. Thanks in advance! 

The script changes both horizontal and vertical at the same time. It adjusts the setting relative to the current setting. You don't even have to know what the current tiling setting is. You just adjust it up or down as a percentage of the current value.  So, if it looks too big for you and you'd like it to be about half that size, you set the slider in the script to 50%. If you want it way smaller, you set it to something much smaller, like 20%. If the tiles are too small, you set it to something larger than 100% to make them bigger, like 200% to make them twice as big. You can even set them to negative percent to flip the pattern. Negative 100% flips without changing scaling. You can either move the slider or type in a specific number. I usually type a value. I thought this was a brilliant interface. It reduces the clutter of all those tiling icons. I  might go through other products I own and delete those things!

Buy this product and try it for yourself!

• Is this product able to rotate the shaders? Turn stripes horizontal instead of vertical for example.

• barbult said:
    barbult said:

The script changes both horizontal and vertical at the same time. It adjusts the setting relative to the current setting. You don't even have to know what the current tiling setting is. You just adjust it up or down as a percentage of the current value.  So, if it looks too big for you and you'd like it to be about half that size, you set the slider in the script to 50%. If you want it way smaller, you set it to something much smaller, like 20%. If the tiles are too small, you set it to something larger than 100% to make them bigger, like 200% to make them twice as big. You can even set them to negative percent to flip the pattern. Negative 100% flips without changing scaling. You can either move the slider or type in a specific number. I usually type a value. I thought this was a brilliant interface. It reduces the clutter of all those tiling icons. I  might go through other products I own and delete those things!

Buy this product and try it for yourself!

Great description!

I find it really useful. It becomes very intuitive after using it a few times. Like barbult said, I don't even look at what the tilings are set to.

• Thank you for the info.

Congrats on your first product here at Daz, PD. Welcome to the crew.

• Thank you for the info.

Congrats on your first product here at Daz, PD. Welcome to the crew.

Thanks Dear! It's been exciting so far. Just wish I had more time.

• I'm actually kind of curious as to what I could use this for. It seems to lend itself to merchant resource use, but there are no notes on it anywhere to suggest I'd get away with that.

Sorry, it's not a mechant resource.

• barbult said:

It is fantastic! I'm very impressed by this product. It makes me think of The Fabricator on steroids for Iray. Be sure to read the included PDF file for some ideas on how to get the most out of it. There is a BRILLIANT script to adjust texture scaling. That one script icon handily replaces all those million texture tiling icons other vendors use. Here are some renders I did already to try out some of the shaders. Look at the image full size to see the texture details from the shader.

2) Same Rose Fairy outfit modified slightly to use some metal overlay textures from PD Iray Shader Kit 1

3) Hobby Clothes completely retextured as knitwear and PVC coat with PD Iray Shader Kit 1. I toned down the PVC shininess a little to tweak the look I wanted on the coat - more of a rubberized look. It is easy to make custom adjustments in the Surfaces tab, just like any other texture.

River Road background and HDRI lighting is from HDRI-HUB. The HDRI was free, released under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

Beautiful renders!

Is this product able to rotate the shaders? Turn stripes horizontal instead of vertical for example.

That feature is built into LIE. You can rotate any image (as far as I know) that is used in the Surface tab by clicking on it and selecting Layered Image Editor. Then use the Rotate drop down menu to rotate by None, 90, 180, or 270 degrees. I didn't realize that until lately when another forum poster told me about it.

barbult said:

Beautiful renders!

Thanks, I'm having trouble doing anything else since I got this. I did stop to eat a couple times. wink

• barbult said:

Is this product able to rotate the shaders? Turn stripes horizontal instead of vertical for example.

That feature is built into LIE. You can rotate any image (as far as I know) that is used in the Surface tab by clicking on it and selecting Layered Image Editor. Then use the Rotate drop down menu to rotate by None, 90, 180, or 270 degrees. I didn't realize that until lately when another forum poster told me about it.

Perfect, thanks for this tip.

• barbult said:
    Thanks, I'm having trouble doing anything else since I got this. I did stop to eat a couple times. wink

LOL, I know what you mean. I'm working on a 2nd set and I just keep playing around.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    KA1 said:
    Thanks for the renders barbult, you just tipped this from a wishlist pick it up later to a must have now!!!

LOL... I second that! I've got PD's free leather shaders for Iray and what a delight they are. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go rob Peter to pay Paul, er DAZ...

edited October 2015

One more from me, since people seem to be enjoying them. I want to see a render from someone else!

This one uses 3 copies of the Yo Hipsta dress to make the layered skirt. This uses cotton lace, black PVC, and black silk.

silk, cotton .pvc

G3F Yo Hipsta PD Black Silk PVC and cotton lace layers.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 1M
  • DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096
    L'Adair said:
    KA1 said:

LOL... I second that! I've got PD's free leather shaders for Iray and what a delight they are. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go rob Peter to pay Paul, er DAZ...

Get an extra kick in there for me if you would.