Like a Phoenix from the Ashes, Who Wants to Render a Superhero?

Comments

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,697
    edited July 2012

Original superhero concepts just seem harder and harder to come by. You started out Batman/Wolverine and moved into Batman/Joker.

If you're going for homage/pastiche, you're going in the right direction. if you want to make it fresher you might consider changing the ear shape. The points you're using are pretty common. An ear shape like the Golden Age Catman's or Tim Sale's Catwoman aren't seen quite as much.

The red lips on the grin help reinforce the connection with the Joker. If you got rid of them, or changed their color, maybe that would help dull the likeness. At the moment, the overall shape of the mouth makes sense as it fills the void in the face mask and could presumably be retracted. But I wonder if there's anyway you could make it more like the following? That could also make it less of a Joker smile.

http://walyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/cheshire-helmet-trooper2.jpg
    http://onlyhdwallpapers.com/thumbnail/alice_in_wonderland_cheshire_cat_desktop_1920x1080_hd-wallpaper-602969.png

You might also consider adding some glowing accent color stripes to the suit and helmet, in the same general pattern as they appear in the cat fur. Maybe purples like the Disney version of the cat, or some teal accents like the Tim Burton?

Post edited by JoeQuick on
  • JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

It's true what Joe says, Even the professional Comic book artist are finding ti hard to come up with new original concepts for super heroes, Stan Lee has put some out that have been hit and miss. I think his last failed attempt was hilariously enough The Governator. Also anyone remember the short lived little T.V. Series Who Wants To Be A Superhero.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/04/04/the-governator-video-stan-lee-arnold-schwarzenegger/

Question has anyone done any Night wing renders lately.

edited December 1969

Question has anyone done any Night wing renders lately.

Speaking of originality, Daz has! At least in early versions of the package one of the preset characters was very clearly Nightwing. Though, skimming through the various packages in the shop I couldn't find the character again.

edited July 2012

Yeah that one was called Blue Wonder I think.

At the moment I am redoing my versions of several characters from the Batman Franchise.

Red Hood, Night Wing, Robin, Night Runner, Robin, Red Robin.

Speaking of originality I love The Batman Arkham City Robin Design.

http://www.gossipgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/arkham-city-robin-colored.jpg

Red_Hood.jpg
    1068 x 1989 - 221K
    Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
    edited July 2012

Yeah that one was called Blue Wonder I think.

At the moment I am redoing my versions of several characters from the Batman Franchise.

Red Hood, Night Wing, Robin, Night Runner, Robin, Red Robin.

Speaking of originality I love The Batman Arkham City Robin Design.

http://www.gossipgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/arkham-city-robin-colored.jpg

That's a good Jason Todd. I still haven't bought and played through arkham city, but looking at the various character models, there's a nightwing in there too.

http://comicattack.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/nwn.jpg

Post edited by JoeQuick on
    edited December 1969

Boot based on the Darwyn Cooke look.

boot.jpg
    800 x 600 - 116K
    surplus.jpg
    516 x 382 - 87K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Joe, Again another one of my projects I would not be able to complete without your help, Recognize your Bat Logo from the Golden Age set?

edited December 1969

Thanks Joe, Again another one of my projects I would not be able to complete without your help, Recognize your Bat Logo from the Golden Age set?

Thanks, but if push came to shove, I think you might have managed to paint one on.

edited December 1969

Its never the same as having the actual prop, Just here wishing I had a nightwing one

edited December 1969

The boots are looking killer

• rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited December 1969

Okay! I went away from the black and went with the suggestion of the actual color from the Cheshire cats (Purples), and then also went with pointy teeth instead of the crazy joker Teeth. I think a lot better, thank you for the ideas! What do you think now though:

Chishire02.jpg
    600 x 592 - 104K
    edited December 1969

Hey can't go wrong with purple, Me I like it.

Where did you get the gauntlets you are using they look cool.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Hey can't go wrong with purple, Me I like it.

Where did you get the gauntlets you are using they look cool.

I'd like to know where you got the leg-strapped holsters you used in this snazzy render.

There's too much excellent art in this thread! Almost embarassing to post this MCU Hawkeye'n'BlackWidow render (larger version in my deviantART gallery here):

Diner Undercover
    diner_undercover_by_kickair8p-d58vos0_1800.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 802K
    edited December 1969

Most of that is from Cyber Punk for M4 and the Expansion from my Friend Jeff ElorOnceDark and the rest is from Hardcore M4.

The mask is a .obj made by a great artist over at Deviant Art, Same artist made the textures for Ice-boys spiderman suit

edited July 2012

double-post :shut:

Post edited by KickAir 8P on
    edited December 1969

. . . Where did you get the gauntlets you are using they look cool.

I'd like to know where you got the leg-strapped holsters you used in this snazzy render.

Most of that is from Cyber Punk for M4 and the Expansion from my Friend Jeff ElorOnceDark and the rest is from Hardcore M4 . . .
    Thanks! Gonna try converting some stuff to Genesis, hoping to put together a decent Winter Soldier. I was already planning on CyberPunk M4 for the arm, how did I miss those?
    edited July 2012

Cyber Punk M4 is one of the best outfits I have bought

Here is a wip of Isiah Bradley Captain America that I did a while ago and Here is a Night wing I am working on

display_2203817.jpg
    683 x 1024 - 360K
    Night_Wing_Shine.jpg
    722 x 1695 - 197K
    edited December 1969

Cyber Punk M4 is one of the best outfits I have bought

Here is a wip of Isiah Bradley Captain America that I did a while ago and Here is a Night wing I am working on . . .

Nice! Let me know if you put up your Isaiah Bradley (either that WiP or a finished version) on dA, I want it in the #Characters-of-Color group.
    edited July 2012

I have a couple of "colored" super heroes,

I have really interesting version of Spiderman who I think is better than Miles Morales. He is a legacy. He is the last grandson of Asiah Bradley. He had a dormant strain of the super soldier serum in his DNA but since he was an orphan he had no way of knowing it. Apart from that he has a similar origin to Miles though I wrote mine years ago.

There are a bunch in my gallery over at renderosity http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/member.php.

I have yet to figure out how to upload anything to deviant art

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

I'll do couple of renders of my original superhero (which I play in my weekly online Marvel campaign); she's a person of color too, of mixed heritage, if you're interested, KickAir.

edited December 1969

Skiriki I'd like to see them for sure.

Here is night wing again this time with some different shaders, I am still trying to figure out the rest of the color scheme.

HARD_CORE_NIGHT_WING.jpg
    770 x 1955 - 190K
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    I'll do couple of renders of my original superhero (which I play in my weekly online Marvel campaign); she's a person of color too, of mixed heritage, if you're interested, KickAir.
    The group's for art depicting fictional characters; although the definition of that's pretty broad (it includes characters from songs, video games, and fanfic) the fictional work the character's from has to be in a reasonably accessable form. If you've got some stories with her posted, a link in the deviation's description would qualify -- check out the group's rules here for details.

. . . I have yet to figure out how to upload anything to deviant art

I do it from the Submit Art option on the Submit drop-down menu (I've heard you can do it through Sta.sh, but I've never tried that). Are you having trouble with the options?
    screenshot.27-07-2012_14_.09_.38-g1_.jpg
    222 x 256 - 26K
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

The group's for art depicting fictional characters; although the definition of that's pretty broad (it includes characters from songs, video games, and fanfic) the fictional work the character's from has to be in a reasonably accessable form. If you've got some stories with her posted, a link in the deviation's description would qualify -- check out the group's rules here for details.

Darn, that might be a problem, since the campaign log is private and other players don't want it in public.

• rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited July 2012

... well I thought it was funny. :)

shadow.jpg
    600 x 499 - 245K
    Post edited by rduda on
  • AngryDragonRiderAngryDragonRider Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Good to see this thead up and running. I'd given up hope of ever being able to access to the DAZ threads again.

Here's some 90's style X-Ladies

X-Ladies.jpg
    2000 x 1200 - 367K
    edited July 2012

Here is my night wing so far and a new character I am working on, I they don't have the emblems yet but hopefully soon.

Not sure what to call him yet I am thinking, Red Wing Crimson Wing, Red Runner, not really sure

Any one have any ideas

What do you guys think of the name

Blood Wing

Young Blood

Crimson Wing

Crimson_Wing_and_night_wing_05.jpg
    1482 x 1392 - 192K
    edited December 1969

Started working on a slightly more army surplus catsuit. While I don't know if I could actually make this thing zip and unzip, the mesh is setup to accommodate it.

catsuit5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 57K
    catsuit4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 127K
    catsuit3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 121K
    catsuit2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 82K
    catsuit1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 89K
    edited December 1969

Awesome work so far on the new one, are you still going to put the other one out as well or just one?

• crikettcrikett Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

Rejoining here with (IMHO) a much under-rendered character:

DevilF.jpg
    800 x 700 - 149K
    edited December 1969

crikett said:
    Rejoining here with (IMHO) a much under-rendered character . . .
    Beautiful work, but who is that?

Most of that is from Cyber Punk for M4 and the Expansion from my Friend Jeff ElorOnceDark and the rest is from Hardcore M4 . . .

Thanks! Gonna try converting some stuff to Genesis, hoping to put together a decent Winter Soldier. I was already planning on CyberPunk M4 for the arm, how did I miss those?
    Cyber Punk M4 is one of the best outfits I have bought . . .
    It's seriously versatile, yeah.

Still working on a Winter Soldier, hoping for some help with the chest harness. I was originally going to use the harness from Ghost Agent M4/H4, but two months after I reported a vertex issue starting in DS4 it's still not fixed so I'm looking for another option. Anybody got any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.