Like a Phoenix from the Ashes, Who Wants to Render a Superhero?

Comments

• Spinach ChinSpinach Chin Posts: 89
    edited December 1969

Character is Grendel

crikett said:
    Rejoining here with (IMHO) a much under-rendered character . . .
    Beautiful work, but who is that?

I'd like to know where you got the leg-strapped holsters you used in this snazzy render.

Most of that is from Cyber Punk for M4 and the Expansion from my Friend Jeff ElorOnceDark and the rest is from Hardcore M4 . . .

Thanks! Gonna try converting some stuff to Genesis, hoping to put together a decent Winter Soldier. I was already planning on CyberPunk M4 for the arm, how did I miss those?

Cyber Punk M4 is one of the best outfits I have bought . . .
    It's seriously versatile, yeah.

Still working on a Winter Soldier, hoping for some help with the chest harness. I was originally going to use the harness from Ghost Agent M4/H4, but two months after I reported a vertex issue starting in DS4 it's still not fixed so I'm looking for another option. Anybody got any ideas?
  • JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited August 2012

Is this the character you want to do, Winter Soldier

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs25/f/2008/158/5/b/winter_soldier_by_orcasaurus.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu5jk4jtgI1qhpx4lo1_1280.jpg

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bad-guy-for-genesis/

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=63279

Let me also plug a piece from a very good friend of ours that should take care of the cyber arm

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/classic-banded-cyberarms-for-m4/87777

have you tried the unimesh fits for the ghost agent

maybe you can find what you need in this set or at least something similar

its one of my favorite period clothing sets for M4

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/m4f-suit-for-m4/86519

Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
  • crikettcrikett Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

crikett said:
    Rejoining here with (IMHO) a much under-rendered character . . .

Beautiful work, but who is that?

Thanks - the character is Hunter Rose, the original Grendel (from Matt Wagner's incredible book of the same name).

• Sid_1500574Sid_1500574 Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone.

Some great renders in this thread, and while I'm here I'd just like to say thanks Joequick for all of the great stuff you have given for free, brilliant work, highly inspirational and much appreciated.

Anyway, enough sucking up, here is a Doc Ock. The Octo arms are a freebie from Poserverse.

doc_ock_small_whi.png
    589 x 667 - 866K
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Is this the character you want to do, Winter Soldier

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs25/f/2008/158/5/b/winter_soldier_by_orcasaurus.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu5jk4jtgI1qhpx4lo1_1280.jpg
    Yep, that's him. Some of the pictures show ammo packs and/or grenades on his chest harness, which is why I was looking at Ghost Agent M4/H4 (yeah, the same problem's happening on the Unimesh).

The Cyberpunk arm is snazzier, but joequick's Classic Banded CyberArm is far more accurate! Thanks for rec'ng it. Much as I like the Bad Guy's shoulder holsters, they're more cop-looking than super-agent IMHO.

maybe you can find what you need in this set or at least something similar its one of my favorite period clothing sets for M4 http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/m4f-suit-for-m4/86519
    Oooooo, beautiful! Not sure that harness works for this, but thanks!
    edited December 1969

Anyone know how to send a PM at deviant art

edited August 2012

Anyone know how to send a PM at deviant art

It's called a Note there, the button for it's usually near the upper right hand corner:
    screenshot.07-08-2012_10_.22_.46_.png
    322 x 33 - 3K
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
    edited December 1969

Ok so that was the right one

thanks

check out this collection of Wolverine costumes

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/126/7/6/wolverine_costumes_by_6and6-d3fp1vt.jpg

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

OMG :bug: :O

edited December 1969

Does anyone have a good seam guide for the M4 Body Suit?

Not a wire mesh guide but a solid one

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Does anyone have a good seam guide for the M4 Body Suit?

Not a wire mesh guide but a solid one

Here is the template offered with the suit. DAZ does this a lot. It will be under the resources tab:
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/m4-bodysuit/

edited December 1969

I have that one but it does not help me any. At all.

I need one that is already filled out or colored.

edited December 1969

I have that one but it does not help me any. At all.

I need one that is already filled out or colored.

So you are asking for something that has already been textured? Do you know that the various colored areas in the png file represent a mapped area on the bodysuit's matrix? Is your trouble with the fact that you can not determine what area goes with what mapped surface? If I was creating a new suit for M4 this png is what I would start with. The lines would tell me where the seams should go, how to create short sleeves, where pant legs end, etc. The colors in each area tells me how much surface will be covered on the suit.

sample.jpg
    600 x 338 - 177K
    edited December 1969

My problem is the fact that the mesh still shows. If it were with just the solid colors that would help a lot more.

If I were to color in each of the little squares it would take way too long.

edited December 1969

This shows my problem better

and this was done using the seam guide yet I am left with visible seams

ahhhhh.jpg
    898 x 1270 - 194K
    edited December 1969

My problem is the fact that the mesh still shows. If it were with just the solid colors that would help a lot more.

If I were to color in each of the little squares it would take way too long.

Ah I understand now. No you can flood the area with your color. What you are seeing then is the fact that your color does not extend over all of the available mapped area. The lines should be considered as part of the area to color. In the case of texturing you must color outside of the lines. When you texture none of the gird should be seen. I even extend my color 4 or 5 pixels beyond the gird, if I am putting a texture that goes to the outer edge of the map. See picture for what I mean. You will see a set of dots all a way around the edge of the UV mapped bodice.My texture is the dark blue. I have overlaid the UV map to show you that there is complete coverage of the grid.

sample2.jpg
    600 x 355 - 156K
    edited December 1969

This shows my problem better

and this was done using the seam guide yet I am left with visible seams

When this happens to me I take the warp or push brush and push out the pixels to go beyond the edge.

edited December 1969

Actually it does cover the lined mapped area, Those seams come from the parts where the individual pieces come together. They would appear as the background of map or the white area.

Its a head ache to texture this thing.

edited December 1969

Actually it does cover the lined mapped area, Those seams come from the parts where the individual pieces come together. They would appear as the background of map or the white area.

Its a head ache to texture this thing.

I just pulled the map over the seams default texture map and what I noticed is that there is a good 15 or more pixels of extention on the texture. What I would do is take the default seams texture and create a mask.

So it would seem that the UV map is set up to allow for seams and that there is no UV map for a non-seam style of the suit. You can see the extention in the below picture.

If you want help with making the mask just give a shout.

sample3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 539K
    edited December 1969

That my friend would be a huge help

edited December 1969

That my friend would be a huge help

So what is your poison, err I mean graphics package. I have Paint Shop and Elements which is a dummy downed verison of PhotoShop. Need to be able to talk a lingo you will have a reference for.

edited December 1969

I use photoshop

edited December 1969

I use photoshop

Ok then, this technique is not the true mask method most graphics programs have but this is what works for me and gives me the ability to work accurately and timely.

Creating the "No Seams UV Map Masks"

1. Open the Leather_Seams.jpg file located in :Runtime:textures:DAZ:M4bodysuit.
    2. Using the Background Erasing Tool remove all of the white background. You may have to set the tolerances such that you only remove the white.
    3. Using the MagicWand click in the background area. Go to Select->Inverse. Then go to Select->Modify->Expand. I select 3 pixels.
    4. Making sure you still have the MagicWand selected hold down the Alt key. Your little wand should have a - symbol.
    5. Click on all but one area. There still will be ants around the areas but when you do the fill operation only the one area will be flooded. If this does not happen then hit the Undo button and try again. You only want one area to be on each layer.
    6. Add a layer.
    7. Select the Paint Bucket Tool. Color should be a solid color. I use black.
    8. Select the new layer and move the Paint Bucket Tool to the area you did not deselect in Step 5. Fill the area.
    9. Go to Select->Deselect.
    10. Select Layer0 again.
    11.Using the MagicWand click in the background area.
    12.Go to Select->Inverse. Then go to Select->Modify->Expand. Choose the same number of pixels to expand the selection.
    13. Select the MagicWand again and holding down the alt key deselect all but one area. The area you have left should be a different one then what you selected in Step 5.
    14. Add a layer.
    15. Select the Paint Bucket Tool.
    16. Select the new layer and move the Paint Bucket Tool to the area you did not deselect in Step 13. Fill the area.
    17. Repeat Steps 9 through 16 for each of the areas.
    18. Add the UV Map as a layer if you want to have guides when you start to paint in the details of the suit.
    19. You can now delete Layer0.
    20. Save as psd file.

Working with the file.
    To create my texture, I just open up a copy of the psd file, select the layer that has the area I am interested in and using the MagicWand I select the background and invert the selection. I add a new layer and then fill the selected area with what ever special effect I want to use. Once I have the outfit done I remove the mask levels and collapse the layers and save out as a jpg.

You can use the above technique to set up the "with seams UV map" as well. Only I would not expand the selection because you would lose some of the seam border.
    You can combine the two masks to add contrasting seams to the outfit. In your case the blue texture would be used in the seams UV map masks while the bright red would be used with the no seams mask. After you have the areas the way you want them, then move the texture layers so when you collapsed the layers you will only see the red as a border around the blue parts of the suit.

If you need more info then just give a shout.
    Lonnie

• edited December 1969

Can anyone tell me where to get a quality Spider-Man costume for M4 that will work in DAZ 3 Advanced? I'm begging here. I had one one before that was perfect and rendered beautifully... and my computer crashed. The only ones I can find now are by Atrion and Truform, Atrion's doesn't render well and Truform's just isn't right; although it renders well... Many thanks to him. I'm a noob to this, and after seeing some of you folks renders, don't know if I'll ever be on a par with you, but I beg you, please, a quality Spidey costume that will work in DAZ 3. Here's a quick render using Truform's Spidey.

Spidey002.jpg
    1118 x 746 - 452K
    edited August 2012

Thanks Dollygirl

chazcc69

There are several really good spiderman costumes you just have to be familiar with the surface tab in studio to get them working with optimal results.

Joe has a really great comics style one at sharecg and there are a bunch of movie style ones over at renderosity

here is my wolverine wip

wolverine_logan.jpg
    1796 x 1798 - 239K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dollygirl . . . here is my wolverine wip

Yep, looks like you've got your seam-problem solved -- looking good!
    edited December 1969

Yeah thanks to your help,

I want to do a few sets and release the textures as freebies this one included

edited December 1969

Yeah thanks to your help,

I want to do a few sets and release the textures as freebies this one included
    Whoops! Not me that time, it was Dollygirl helping you on the seams.

edited August 2012

Yeah Just saw that

Too many quotes and too many threads

Thanks again Dolly Girl

edited December 1969

Yeah Just saw that

Too many quotes and too many threads

Thanks again Dolly Girl

Your welcome John. Looking forward to seeing your suit textures.

This discussion has been closed.