January 2016 New User 3D Art contest “Composition” (WIP Thread)

Comments

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409
    edited January 2016

Took me some time to continue working on my picture. Changed the lights, changed the angle slightly. Fog and atmo-cams didn't word, perhaps the scale of the model was too big, either no effect at all, or you couldn't see anything. So I used plain old png-files without background, combined with the background and in several layers, some semi-transparent, to get the haze-effect.

The files are side-by-side, old and new, the first posting is buried in several pages of postings.

side-by-side

side-by-side.jpg
    914 x 656 - 158K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • dHandledHandle Posts: 617

Trying a different approach; same angel model.

Angel_02.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 538K
    Rafmer said:

Finally found some time to try a few things! I have tried different lightning approaches; a crisper, brighter one, another one with a colder light and another with more diffuse lightning and some dark areas. I also made some minor changes to the horse and changed the model to M7.

Rafmer, not sure if I missed them earlier, these are great!  I really like the photoreal renders, and these look very nice.  I clicked on all 3, and in my browser, they open in tabs.  So...I can switch between them very quickly and easily.  The lighting effects and mood change dramatically from one to the next.

Great work!

Um...and about composition...what the heck do I know!?  All I know is I like them a lot!  (Echoing what Knittingmommy said...)

• Tried to tone down the slimes glow last night.

I had to go back and forth to see the difference between the two.  I do think it looks better with the slime toned down.  This isn't they type of thing I try to render so I'm clueless about how to give advice on most things here.  I do have to say that the whole lighting gives off a kind of otherworldly effect so I guess that is good given the whole fighting a demon or alien thing you have going on.  Overall, I see some definite improvement.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Any feedback is helpful knittingmommy. Thanks.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    Rafmer said:

Finally found some time to try a few things! I have tried different lightning approaches; a crisper, brighter one, another one with a colder light and another with more diffuse lightning and some dark areas. I also made some minor changes to the horse and changed the model to M7.

This is very interesting to see how the different lights (and the atmosphere) change a mood. I like all three versions, but as a stand alone (no story being told around it) the thirs one works the best!

Golden Ratio

Thought I would give the "Golden Mean" a go, will be interested in your comments and feedback.  This is a 3Delight render as Iray is very problematic, probably because I don't know what I'm doing.  Hope you all are having a great day! wink

Giovanni, did you activate the shadows on your lights? Its a typical mistace after working with Iray and then returning to 3DL

• Linwelly said:

Golden Ratio

Thought I would give the "Golden Mean" a go, will be interested in your comments and feedback.  This is a 3Delight render as Iray is very problematic, probably because I don't know what I'm doing.  Hope you all are having a great day! wink

Giovanni, did you activate the shadows on your lights? Its a typical mistace after working with Iray and then returning to 3DL

Wow, how did I miss that!?  Thanks, back to work.  surprise

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    dHandle said:

Scooch him a tiny bit to the left so he isn't quite so close to the long post.

Took me some time to continue working on my picture. Changed the lights, changed the angle slightly. Fog and atmo-cams didn't word, perhaps the scale of the model was too big, either no effect at all, or you couldn't see anything. So I used plain old png-files without background, combined with the background and in several layers, some semi-transparent, to get the haze-effect.

The files are side-by-side, old and new, the first posting is buried in several pages of postings.

side-by-side

I like the second version better

Linwelly said:

Golden Ratio

I like it.  Even without the shadows lol.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,437

side-by-side

I think this is a huge improvement in a lot of ways.

Compositionaly there are still things bumping into each other which is very distracting. I'd lose the second and third vehicles, they are just clutter.  The main zeppelin is the star.

I'd also ditch the building with the big antenna, or just the antenna... the way it bumps into the moon/planet in the sky is unpleasant.

Whew finally finished mine.  I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who commented and helped this time around.  You guys rock and my entries are far better for it.

dHandle said:

Good point, Sonja....a little to the left, and a bit closer. 

I know it's kinda dark.  May have to try brightening him up a bit just to see what it looks like. 

angek03.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 582K
    dHandle said:
    dHandle said:

Good point, Sonja....a little to the left, and a bit closer. 

I know it's kinda dark.  May have to try brightening him up a bit just to see what it looks like. 

Better definitely. 

edited January 2016

Probably the last version.  

Angel_04.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 390K
    Post edited by dHandle on

And that one works the best of the three (In my opinion of course)

• GallowsGallows Posts: 95

the Prisoner...with props:

prisoner.jpg
    1143 x 857 - 485K
    Gallows said:

Very nice.   No more shadow either on the ocean.  Looks good I like the lighting and the props

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    Gallows said:

I think this is the best version yet!!!

• Here is my latest “First Snow” image.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm learning a lot.

I went with using Photoshop for the footprints as my initial experiments with rendering looked pasted on.

@Teofa I thought your “slushy sidewalk” showed promise for footprints. How do I get to your art studio thread?

@Siotrad I like the composition, and the camera raw filter. Really like your image over all.

@Rafmer Very nice image, I like the composition. Definitely like it better with the model looking off in the distance wistfully and with the morning mist.

@cherpenbeck I'm a big fan of the retro Sci-Fi look. Well done. Definitely like the one on the right the best, though it would be cool if the planets were a bit sharper. I like the extra vehicles as they add to the urban sprawl flavor. Perhaps angle them so the point more at the main ship at draw a line of attention to it. I agree the antennae over the moon detracts from the image, even though it makes sense since they are so much closer. Nice work.

First Snow(From the Ashes).jpg
    2084 x 1261 - 583K

@From The Ashes -  the footprints look great.  Really added to the overall look of the render

Teofa's art thread is here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29042/my-ongoing-mess-of-unfinishedness#latest

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Here is my latest “First Snow” image.

I went with using Photoshop for the footprints as my initial experiments with rendering looked pasted on.

@Teofa I thought your “slushy sidewalk” showed promise for footprints. How do I get to your art studio thread?

@Siotrad I like the composition, and the camera raw filter. Really like your image over all.

@Rafmer Very nice image, I like the composition. Definitely like it better with the model looking off in the distance wistfully and with the morning mist.

@cherpenbeck I'm a big fan of the retro Sci-Fi look. Well done. Definitely like the one on the right the best, though it would be cool if the planets were a bit sharper. I like the extra vehicles as they add to the urban sprawl flavor. Perhaps angle them so the point more at the main ship at draw a line of attention to it. I agree the antennae over the moon detracts from the image, even though it makes sense since they are so much closer. Nice work.

I really like the footprints in the snow you did an amazing job on them, and the woman looks like she is really enjoying the snow comming down on her face wink

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited January 2016

@From The Ashes -  the footprints look great.  Really added to the overall look of the render

Teofa's art thread is here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29042/my-ongoing-mess-of-unfinishedness#latest

Sorry.  I deleted all of that, and this thread is no place to discuss it, as it is off topic. Thanks.

Post edited by Teofa on
  • giovannipaologiovannipaolo Posts: 249
    edited January 2016

Golden ratio with shadows and other changes

This took longer than I thought, shadows can be complicated with multiple light sources.  Feedback is greatly appreciated.

GoldenMeanRevised.jpg
    1200 x 1942 - 2M
    Post edited by giovannipaolo on

This took longer than I thought, shadows can be complicated with multiple light sources.  Feedback is greatly appreciated.

The shadows help push the guy farther into the background giving the scene a lot more depth.  I like it.

Do you mean that you used the golden spiral on this?

Regardless...there's good stuff here, but... its way too tall.  Crop your female model around mid thigh.  You lose my interest when I have to scroll all the way down to see nothing much (though I would take those nice purple flowers and see if I could put them in her hand or in her hair?). This distance between your characters is good, something seems a little off but I can't quite put my finger on it. He's not quite looking at her, its hard to tell what she's looking at, but it looks close enough. The background is colorful and distracting, especially the big tree limb that dominates the center of the image.  That needs to go.  It keeps drawing my eye... its the very first thing I look at.

Sometimes its hard to couch these things politely when you are giving critiques.  I really like this image.  Its a little sultry and a little playful, its got good colors. But your actors are getting lost in the surroundings.

And I just figured out what is "wrong" with the spacing/distance of your characters.  The strong backlight on him doesn't seem to match up with the strong light on her front.

What have you got going on for lights here? Overall, its a little bright for a forest scene... and I think you might be able to use the light better to focus on your actors and take some of the focus off the surrounding elements.

edited January 2016

Here is my latest “First Snow” image.

@from the ashes

I gotta be honest: I had no idea what that shiny metal thing was until someone said: robot.  I still barely see it (as in I do not comprehend that that is a robot), and it looks to me like its flying, so the footsteps in the snow confound me even more. I can't see a connection to the ground, hence: flying.

Top down perspective is damn hard, it removes almost all of one's normal frame of reference.

I think you would be better served by moving your main character further out from the archway... she's the star and she's dwarfed by the arch and windows, which mean not a lot to the image, and everything is cramped up into the top right with a lot of negative space in the bottom left which is doing nothing for the composition at all.

Not trying to be harsh.  I tend to be direct and speak and write in declarative sentences. It can come across as brutal, sometimes.

Post edited by evilded777 on
    Holloko said:
    Linwelly said:
    Holloko said:

Okay, my novice state will be evident as I was unable to complete some of the advice given for a lack of resources or knowledge as to how to do it... FYI, I do not have Photoshop. Any postwork I do I complete using OnOne Software.

I pulled the shot back so the spiral centered on the eye and Marc Antony does not look decapitated. I also lightened it significantly. I replaced the "plastic" dress with this blue one. I realize the hair is not great and the beads look neon, but I am on a tight budget and cannot purchase another, better headpiece, so it will have to do. I tried to tone down the beads a bit during postwork, but they are still bright. 

As for the tone of the piece: I don't want Cleopatra to be weeping. She was a brutal tyrant, so I am affording her a single tear over the loss of Antony (I did not spend much time trying to figure out how to make the tear shimmer since I don't have Photoshop). I did change her hand position so she is cradling his head more and stroking his temple area with her thumb (thanks to my wife for the time to model this together to find the natural look!). I want it to be a tender moment saying goodbye to her lover, not a grief-stricken moment.

To assure viewers that Antony is dead, I've added blood to the floor and some sublte splatter on his armor. Overall, I am hoping to convey in Cleo a sense of sorrow mixed with acceptance. I tried to bring into focus the things of which she is aware: herself, Antony, and the blood. I have gone back and forth several times about the snake. I kind of want her to be aware of it (so it would be in focus, or coming into focus to indicate she is becoming aware of it), but it looks a little funny if it is in focus while the rest of the background is not.

I really fought the lighting. That is definitely one of my greatest weaknesses (3delight by the way). I tried single lights, no ambient, ambient and different levels, 3-point lights, distant lights, two-point light, etc. I ended up using low ambient light (about 30%) with a two-point spot light. These are also low intensity (about 50%). All of them are blue tones. I found if I used a backlight, it light Antony's face and/or armor too much regardless of where I placed it and how low I set the intensity.

Thanks for the advice so far; sorry for the items I was not able to do for one reason or another.

All right, let me have it!

Nice improvement on the poses, the lights and the colours, Marc Anthony looks pretty dead no and I have the impression you intent on Cleopatras situtation is transported nicely. Don't apologise for things you are here to learn you can ask us and we will try to help. And I guess you should focus on the work you can change in DS instead looking for postwork too early.

As you mentioned you are working in 3dlight here are some possibilities eg for the head piece. You can select that one in the scenes tab and then open the surefaces tab. I don't own the head peace but I would expect there are sub cathegories on the surfaces, there select the ones that are responsible neoneish threadends. I would expect the slider for the ambient there is pulled rather high. If you reduce that the glowing effect should reduce. Similar you can select other objects and alter their surfaces. one question about you backgrounds. I'm a little surpirsed to find Cleos foot still in focus but the surroundings not. Same with the blood on the floor. Did you render in two steps and put the images together in post? There is nothing wrong with that but I would try to use DOF (depth of field) on you camera settings so that everything close is sharp and render in one go.

For postwork, I don't know the program you used but I would advise as well to use the GIMP, it has the full range of Photoshop options and a multitude of tutorials floating around. I use it for all my postwork.

Thanks for the great feedback. I'll see what I can do with the surfaces, that was helpful. I did render in layers. I wanted it to have a bit of a surreal look to it. For example the blood is in focus because Cleo is so aware of it. I'm not committed to that look and I will try rendering it all together with doc to see which I like better. Thanks again for the great tips.

Ok I think I get what you are trying but I guess it's difficult. the way it is now, the render looks like the DOF is just not well done. What I could imagine to work ist that the background (with or without the snake) is kind of fading out probably using layers of semitransparent planes or using a vignette the alters to white in postwork. hope that helps.

Index of refraction rate is set at 1.25 for this shader.  I'll play with the setting and see how I like any changes.  That isn't a setting that I've played with much.  I still have two more water shaders to try out today to see if I like either of those better.

I hope you could get one of the water shaders to work. What I found with my experiments is that where ths surfaces of the water are close together (like in your splashes) the combination of Fresnel refraction and reflection kind of trap the light within the water so the surface appears black or very dark. You could try to turn off the fresnel and /or the refraction and see how that looks with your water. I'm still fiddling around with my self made water shader but as I got the flue or the flue got me I will not get to any results that would still help you for this month.

Ugh feel better Linwelly.