DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro, General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    Ruphuss said:

they told you to reset your database ? really

thats poor mr and mrs daz! really

really

Yes, that was the response to my help request. On the positive side, they responded within hours, not days. They might have that canned answer ready to go for anybody who complains of lost categories. Who knows. They told me to reset the DB and reimport metadata. I decided to reset and try Daz Connect to start over instead, and see how that goes. I'm trying this out on a secondary machine, before I load 4.9 release on my main machine. So, this is kind of an experiment. I did follow the advice to export user data before installing 4.9, so I have that to reload, but I haven't yet.

• bicc39bicc39 Posts: 589

About three posts ago someone wrote that there are improvements.

Fine.

What are they.

Are the renders in iray faster, sharper, clearer. Are the skin textures more realistic.

Better use of interface.

I am trying to salvage something.

Speakling for myself, if the way they arrange the content, or if I don't buy anything relative to new manager
    I am fine with that.

Despite buying and manipulating content have they improved anything that benefits us?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    bicc39 said:

Fine.

What are they.

4.9 includes new versions of 3Delight and Iray, with a good number of fixes.

Smart Content and Categories have been much improved too, from what I read.

• bryanll1bryanll1 Posts: 141

I have 4.8 installed on my old computer (win 7) with a limited amount of content.  I think I'll take a shot at 4.9 on that machine tonight to see what happens to my content.  I am not going to screw around with my new xps.  I have only 6 mos experience with Daz and I'm not good enough with the behind the scenes stuff to recover if I encounter a catastrophic failure.  It sounds a little rough just by what I'm hearing from highly experienced users on this thread.

Now I lost the tabs along the bottom of Smart Content. Luckily stopping and restarting DS 4.9 brought them back,. I will write another bug report, but I don't know how to reproduce this one. After it happened, I even tried undocking the Smart Content pane, reselecting my Workspace, changing Style. Nothing helped.

Lost tabs all installed available pending etc.JPG
    564 x 1328 - 170K

Installing 4.9 should not change anything for the content that is already installed, but some users have reported problems with their custom metadata / categories.

Leana said:
    bicc39 said:

Fine.

What are they.

4.9 includes new versions of 3Delight and Iray, with a good number of fixes.

Please what are they (Fixes)

Smart Content and Categories have been much improved too, from what I read.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

Well I submitted a request for help, now for the long wait!  What a shame that DAZ didn't test the CMS stuff more before rushing this out the door, as usual! I was so hoping for a most bug free release and this particular issue is pretty bad!  :-(

I am probably asking the question wrong, let me try again,  important to me and maybe other.

Assume I have DAZ Studio 8, assume I have a graphics card that uses iray to its fullest.

Assume I have either no content or a small amount.

Forget content management, smart content,purchasing content, making icons for content, sleeping with content, eating

with content, stealing content. etc etc etc.

Of the paltry few that have installed it what  makes DAZ Studio 9 an improvement.........??????

There has to be something...

I speak as someone who has thirty Runtimes dating back to Poser 5. If I did not "acquire" another item would be ok

could make do. DAZ has never done a great job arranging my content before, no reason to think so now.

But if Iray was considerably improved, that is a plus.

If the interface was changed a plus.

I do not want to think that we are going through all of this just so that Daz could improve the piracy situation

( someone is probably working on that as we speak)

edited January 2016
    bicc39 said:

The full detail is in the various posts of the first page in this thread. I know they fixed some problems which made Iray crash when using specific items, for example.

Post edited by Leana on

Can't start CMS and when I looked in my Services area of my computer usually there is a way to turn it on from there.. it's not even listed.  I reinstalled just yesterday, should be there unless DAZ changed how that service is run and no longer appears in the system Services dialog...

To continue, never thought I would write this, but.

In the past few years a few of the moderators here ( especialy Richard Haseltine) have been very kind to me.

The support people have , in general, tried their best.

In this one regard, DAZ  Studio 4.9, I do not trust anyone connected with the company. I ask the questions here

because we are all in this together. It appears from what I am reading DAZ has a "bummer" on their hands.

Hope they can recover, but , in the meantime, this for some is a businesss also.

Important for me to straighten things out now and move forward.

Thank you.

Wish I could get 4.8 back.  This is cramping my time as I'm developing products. 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited January 2016
    RAMWolff said:

Can't start CMS and when I looked in my Services area of my computer usually there is a way to turn it on from there.. it's not even listed.  I reinstalled just yesterday, should be there unless DAZ changed how that service is run and no longer appears in the system Services dialog...

Do you use DIM? If so find Postre and install it. DS shoulda installed it when it installed but maybe there was a hiccup.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • MartialMartial Posts: 404

Allo
    I have many content files (more than 100 gigs) installed all manually inside my library folder inside D:DAZStudio4 64 bits And everything woks well (this version is 4,8) I don't want install some content inside my c: It is an small ssd
     i  have downloaded all the DAZStudio 4,9 related stuff and i plan to install manually in my F: drive inside an DAZStudio 4,9 folder
    Can i manually do this and continue to use both version ?
    Eventually can i make a clone copy of my older library (inside 4,8) to the new installation (inside 4,9)
    Ideally i want to have an version without connect (my older 4,8) and another with connect (my new 4,8) if i cannot do without
    Thanks

ps is it a serial number for the new version ? i don't see it in my account sn

Did all that.. .still nothing is showing in the systems Services lists.  I use only DIM for now so uninstalled, reinstalled DS and PostgreSQL CMS

• MartialMartial Posts: 404

Allo
    I have many content files (more than 100 gigs) installed all manually inside my library folder inside D:DAZStudio4 64 bits And everything woks well (this version is 4,8) I don't want install some content inside my c: It is an small ssd
     i  have downloaded all the DAZStudio 4,9 related stuff and i plan to install manually in my F: drive inside an DAZStudio 4,9 folder
    Eventually can i make a clone copy of my older library (inside 4,8) to the new installation (inside 4,9)
    Ideally i want to have an version without connect (my older 4,8) and another with connect (my new 4,8) if i cannot do without
    Thanks

RAMWolff said:

Did all that.. .still nothing is showing in the systems Services lists.  I use only DIM for now so uninstalled, reinstalled DS and PostgreSQL CMS

Do you have any antivirus running? That is the only thing I can think of off hand.

Just the one that came with Windows 10.  I don't buy stuff like that.  Never had that or the firewall block anything so can't imagine that's the issue. 

Yeah IDK what it could be. I guess you'll have to wait till they get back to you or maybe someone else has had the problem in the past.

bicc39 said:
    Leana said:
    bicc39 said:

The full detail is in the various posts of the first page in this thread. I know they fixed some problems which made Iray crash when using specific items, for example.

I do not believe what they have written in this regard, what have you seen?

I have not used the version yet, and don't render with Iray. So you'll have to ask someone else I'm affraid ;)

Leana said:
    bicc39 said:
    Leana said:
    bicc39 said:

I do not believe what they have written in this regard, what have you seen?

I have not used the version yet, and don't render with Iray. So you'll have to ask someone else I'm affraid ;)

Thank you for yourt time, appreciate it.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    RAMWolff said:

Hey Ram,

PorsgreSQL does not run a service. Did you mean there were multiple instances of PostgreSQL in your task manager, or an actual service? 

Note that Valentina does not work with Daz Studio 4.9. We kept it for as long as we could for backwards compatibility, but since we had to redo the database for Daz Connect, that was no longer feasible. 

• PandaB5PandaB5 Posts: 250
    edited January 2016

Okay from someone who only knows enough to put a picture together and hit render - this is my experience:

I installed Daz Studio 4.9 manually. I've done a render with Iray in it and it worked as always i.e. it worked great since I never had any problems with Daz 4.8 and I've only been using Daz Studio for a few months. I don't have a Nvdia card so Iray is always slow for me - this one seemed a bit faster but I didn't have many shiny or reflective surfaces in it which is where the slow-down occurs. 

You can work online or offline.

Improvements - to my content library - OH YES!  And it's amazing what they've done there and my content is years old - I haven't bought anything in recent years i.e. since smart content. Even so my old Daz content is now properly organised - hence my remark on time-travel earlier, because I wish my several gig non-Daz library was as organised / structured. This is where the awesome comes in for me - that vendors and Daz will update old content and make them smart content or organised - they get no benefit for this, but I do!

Daz did not of course touch or change in any way my many content libraries that aren't in the Daz folders.

Everything now works i.t.o. content that didn't work before for me, the categories and alphabetical lists - alas only for my Daz content.

I'm very happy that I installed 4.9.

Post edited by PandaB5 on
    RAMWolff said:

Wel didn't see that before I posted. :) Sorry about that. 

What is your ticket number Ram?

barbult said:
    Ruphuss said:

really

Yes, that was the response to my help request. On the positive side, they responded within hours, not days. They might have that canned answer ready to go for anybody who complains of lost categories. Who knows. They told me to reset the DB and reimport metadata. I decided to reset and try Daz Connect to start over instead, and see how that goes. I'm trying this out on a secondary machine, before I load 4.9 release on my main machine. So, this is kind of an experiment. I did follow the advice to export user data before installing 4.9, so I have that to reload, but I haven't yet.

Sorry, that was in error. I am still trying to get enough information to help get you properly fixed. :) 

edited January 2016
    Martial said:

Allo
    Thanks

There is no requirement to put anything on your C Drive.

You can only have two different versions of Daz Studio installed if one is the release version and one is a beta. Otherwise they share settings and that causes conflicts.  <Edited to add> OOps! I forgot you can also have one as 32 bit and hte other as 64 bit. :) My Bad! :) 

The Serial number for all versions of DS 4 is the same and you should not even have to enter it since you already had Daz Studio installed. 

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    PandaB5 said:

Okay from someone who only knows enough to put a picture together and hit render - this is my experience:

I installed Daz Studio 4.9 manually. I've done a render with Iray in it and it worked as always i.e. it worked great since I never had any problems with Daz 4.8 and I've only been using Daz Studio for a few months. I don't have a Nvdia card so Iray is always slow for me - this one seemed a bit faster but I didn't have many shiny or reflective surfaces in it which is where the slow-down occurs. 

You can work online or offline.

Improvements - to my content library - OH YES!  And it's amazing what they've done there and my content is years old - I haven't bought anything in recent years i.e. since smart content. Even so my old Daz content is now properly organised - hence my remark on time-travel earlier, because I wish my several gig non-Daz library was as organised / structured. This is where the awesome comes in for me - that vendors and Daz will update old content and make them smart content or organised - they get no benefit for this, but I do!

Daz did not of course touch or change in any way my many content libraries that aren't in the Daz folders.

Everything now works i.t.o. content that didn't work before for me, the categories and alphabetical lists - alas only for my Daz content.

I'm very happy that I installed 4.9.

Thank you. 

barbult said:
    Ruphuss said:

really

Sorry, that was in error. I am still trying to get enough information to help get you properly fixed. :) 

You'd better give customer service a stern talking to! cheeky

On this secondary computer, where I reset the database, I had never had a 4.9 beta installed. I went from 4.8.0.59 to 4.9.0.63. I am starting over from scratch with Daz Connect. I am uninstalling my products with DIM. Out with the old and in with the new! Jump into the flames! Learn what works and what doesn't. DS 4.9 isn't perfect yet. I've written several bug reports since release yesterday.

I could still like to try to recover the database on the other computer (the one that was corrupted by the beta) if you can get me another script fix. smiley I still have 4.9.0.61 Beta on that one.

edited January 2016
    RAMWolff said:

Wel didn't see that before I posted. :) Sorry about that. 

What is your ticket number Ram?

Hi,  Thanks for looking into this... My Ticket is #210150: No database found

Post edited by RAMWolff on