Carrara Academy for Light of Heaven

VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
edited July 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Moved by request of OP.

I decided to start this thread as a continuation of my "LIGHTS" thread, which was lost when the new DAZ3D site took over. I was learning loads of stuff from 3dage and making people want Carrara 8 Pro. :P But yeah, I still have lots to learn.

Like, right now, I'm stuck because I'm using a hair cap on V4, but V4 will not go in the hair modeler when I drop the hair icon on the cap.

Andy, old buddy, you still out there?

Post edited by Jaderail on

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Only the cap should show up in the hair modeler.

V4 would show up if you dropped the hair directly on V4

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Oh boy, I thought I had this hair growing thing all figured out, but nope. The only thing I figured out was how to make the world's WORST hairstyle.

I'm just trying to make a simple long, straight hairstyle, so I just kinda selected the whole cap and hit drape. But since V4 isn't in there for it to fall on, I grabbed the Move tool and started trying to drag points around. Didn't go too well.

edited September 2012
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

GKDantas Janet hair on sharecg goes well on the Daz haircap
    I use that one a lot!
    even though I bought lots of PhilW's and other hairs.
    Janet hair animates better too!

edited December 1969

Um, Wendy, can you link me to it? Can't seem to find it.

What animation did you do with it?

edited December 1969

So, I grew hair directly on V4, but I have no idea how the other tools work. Actually, they don't seem to do anything. Like the hair cut tool. How do I cut the hair from her face?

test1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 21K
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Maybe you really don't want to see what's underneath all the hair, LOH. I don't use Carrara yet. but Wendy keeps recommending it to me. I'll follow along here and also see if I can pick up your light thread from the archives.

edited December 1969

Oh Anne, you'll looooe Carrara. Once you open it, you can neer close it. :P

My problem with the hair cut tool was that I wasn't clicking the bloody little dots. That's why it didn't seem to work. Stupid moi.

Problem solved.

Next problem: Push tool.

edited December 1969

I think it is this one
    uses Daz hair caps, just drag and drop it on the cap.

edited December 1969

Would it be better to wait until the new Carrara is released?

edited December 1969

Well, if you're more a Genesis fan, maybe. But if you get Carrara, they say there will be a "small" upgrade fee for C8.5.

edited December 1969

COOOOOOOOL!!

http://www.onearmedgraphics.com/wordpress/resources/carrara-experiments-particles/

I'm trying to figure out how to make particle fire and ran into THAT! I feel dumb and boring now.

edited December 1969

This isn't the kinda fire I want, but it's the only tut I could find. I want a flaming sphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alw3zCZ4wm0

edited December 1969

Well, if you're more a Genesis fan, maybe. But if you get Carrara, they say there will be a "small" upgrade fee for C8.5.

I am moving towards being a total Genesis fan

edited December 1969

COOOOOOOOL!!

http://www.onearmedgraphics.com/wordpress/resources/carrara-experiments-particles/

I'm trying to figure out how to make particle fire and ran into THAT! I feel dumb and boring now.

Geez, I'm having trouble with the tuts in there. I'm getting like the effect it shows in Part 2. My particles seem to just roll out on the floor or something, and I DID set the text as the emitter object.

Oh, help meh...

edited December 1969

I can't decide if I'm smart or stupid, but I figured it out.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can't decide if I'm smart or stupid, but I figured it out.
    That's good. My answer to the first part was YES! %-P
    edited December 1969

Um...WENDY? How do you change tweeners?

And Jeff, what was your answer to the second part? *nudge, nudge* :P

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI All :)

Tweener changing...

You select the Gap's between two, or more key-frames, (where the tweeners are), then look on the right hand side ,to the tweeners area, click on the text which says linear or bezier, and you'll get a drop down menu, where you can select a different type of tweener.

:)

tweener_change.jpg
    853 x 765 - 110K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

On the Hair questions,...

The Cut tool, when you select it, will show only the Guide hairs (you can add more or remove guide hairs) and the Cut tool will let you click and cut the length of the guide hairs,.

It's easiest to have either specific areas of guide hairs or define Hair Groups, so that you can create a fringe, (or "bangs")
    Different hair groups also allow you to apply different hair shaders to each group, which can define the colour, but can also be used to shape the hair, by adding Curl, Kink, Frizz, Clump and adjust the length of the hairs, and add variations to all of those.

The Guide hairs can either be Brushed into a basic style, or can be individually dragged into a shape, you can also adjust the position of the "Control Point" along the length of the hair, from root to tip, which allows you to brush or drag the guide to shape the hair in different directions at the Mid point, or ends, without effecting the rest of the shape.

It's a complex tool, and as the Hair shaders can also be used to shape and style the hair, it becomes even more complex.

Holly is the Guru :)

edited December 1969

Andy! Gaood to see you here. Hope things are settling down a bit for you.

Oh man, I was looking all over the TIMELINE for 'em sneaky tweeners. Never expected them to be right next to my head.

edited September 2012
    Post edited by VIArts on
  • BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

It's ANDY!!!

Dude, you don't visit my thread and it needs some regular Scotland. It's got regular England, regular America and regular Wales. Needs some regular Scotland. And on a personal level, I miss your insight!

Now, back to topic: I am a HUGE fan of Carrara, but also becoming a huge fan of Genesis. Main reason I want my work to be done in DS is because it's got a larger user base than Carrara.

I am looking at that tutorial you put up, for fire, and some things don't seem quite right but I can't put my finger on them because my knowledge of Carrara and particles isn't good enough.

I am going to start saving some money for when the next incarnation of Carrara is released and I can use Genesis with it.

edited December 1969

You have me wondering what it could be you can't put your finger on. lol

The logo tut left out a few parts that I had to figure out on my own.. I don't know about the fire tut though, because my friend couldn't finish scripting it for me to understand.

edited December 1969

Man, I don't get it...yet.

Let's say I want to make a flaming sphere with tongues of fire dancing in every direction, like the sun. So...

Pic 1: I opened a small scene and scaled the timeline to 00:06:00. Then, I inserted a sphere and particle emitter into the scene and put the settings shown in the first screenshot.

Pic 2: In the shader room, I made the texture from the particle fire video tut.

pic 3: I scrubbed forward a bit on the timeline and rendered the frame. This isn't the flickery result I wanted. It just makes a huge flamy ball around my sphere.

test2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 38K
    snip2.JPG
    1280 x 770 - 174K
    snip1.JPG
    1280 x 770 - 149K
    edited December 1969

I ain't got no, I ain't got no, I ain't got no
    Inspiration

edited December 1969

So,I'm reading about forces in the Carrara manual. I understand a flow force can be used to simulate wind, damping force is like rolling a ball through sand, and torque force is like a spinning fan. But I don't really get directional and point forces. They sound like push and pull, respectively. So what's the difference? Can't you just put a sphere here, scrub forward and set a key frame?

edited September 2012

they work with physics and hair!
    once you start playing with physics! you are addicted!
    get a sphere, stick it above a plane
    in motion choose physics instead of keyframe
    click the sparkly fairy wand on the left top of the screen
    see ya tomorrow!!!
    (that is how Andy addicted me! I thought it was complicated
    it is not!
    like playing with dominoes!! you can do dominoes too! everyone does!!!)

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

How do you control which way the directional force shoots the sphere?

edited December 1969

I give up.

I was trying to make my sphere go splat on the wall, like someone threw mud at it. But all it's doing is going down.

Not finding much help either.