Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.0.44!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,662
    edited November 2015

I know this may have been asked before...

Where do I change the "SSS Reflectance Tint", as described below, to get rid of blueness?   I've looked everywhere for that setting and cannot find it?

I cannot find ""Translucency Weight" either?

3. NVIDIA Iray 2015.3.3

• Fixes made to the implementation of Sub Surface Scattering (SSS) in the NVIDIA Iray renderer affect materials which have "Translucency Weight" active—not set to 0. This manifests in skin tones appearing more blue than they do in 4.8. A quick adjustment that can be made during the BETA phase is to adjust the "SSS Reflectance Tint" from a light blue to a light yellow—R: 1.00, G: 0.88, B: 0.67. Adjust this value to your liking.
      • After the BETA phase, Daz 3D products will be updated to include this change.

Does the surface you are looking at use the Iray Uber Shader? Look at top-left in the Surfaces pane with the surface selected.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • icecrmn said:

I know this may have been asked before...

Where do I change the "SSS Reflectance Tint", as described below, to get rid of blueness?   I've looked everywhere for that setting and cannot find it?

3. NVIDIA Iray 2015.3.3

• Fixes made to the implementation of Sub Surface Scattering (SSS) in the NVIDIA Iray renderer affect materials which have "Translucency Weight" active—not set to 0. This manifests in skin tones appearing more blue than they do in 4.8. A quick adjustment that can be made during the BETA phase is to adjust the "SSS Reflectance Tint" from a light blue to a light yellow—R: 1.00, G: 0.88, B: 0.67. Adjust this value to your liking.

apply the iray uberbase shader to the surface

set the "Translucency Weight" to something above 0 (this is one of the options near the top)

with that set to >0 a new set of options opens up.

One of them is called "base color effect"

set it to "Scatter and Transmit"

now the options for the SSS reflectance tint should be showing :)

Thanks!   I never would have never figured that out without your help!   I was totally looking in the wrong place!  :-)  

• I know this may have been asked before...

3. NVIDIA Iray 2015.3.3

Does the surface you are looking at use the Iray Uber Shader? Look at top-left in the Surfaces pane with the surface selected.

Thanks Richard!   I got it now!  I am learning more about Iray every day!  :-)

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,976

I have found another rather pain in the rear bug.. Have found if in a scene then save or not save it, then load in another scene it does not clear the previous scene properly.. So I end up with two of everything, in the end I either have to go do a new scene (does not always work either) to try and clear it or shut down Studio and start again.. Whatever was changed between this public beta and the last public beta has really screwed things up..

• ghosty12 said:

I have found another rather pain in the rear bug.. Have found if in a scene then save or not save it, then load in another scene it does not clear the previous scene properly.. So I end up with two of everything, in the end I either have to go do a new scene (does not always work either) to try and clear it or shut down Studio and start again.. Whatever was changed between this public beta and the last public beta has really screwed things up..

This has been reported.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

though I reported it ,next day, when I installed  this version, , but could not get confirm still.. 

and who is actually test it, untill offer this beta as public ?   I really hope these testers , just check with saved scene too.,,

it is so basic test I think,,

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547

Telling about weird things, now my recent DIM installs are showing in Content Library>Products alphabetically in new top levels in lower case letters. See the image:

edited December 2015

Yes,, in current beta,,  only tems new downloaded by DIM seems ordered like that,,,  (even though I did not use DAZ connect,,)

that means,, I may better to re-install all items, with new meta-data,, if I use current beta and product alphabet grouping

but why the product "Hoge Hoge" need to be grouped as "h"?   "H" is right I think..^^;

and why DAZ needed  to change the way? 

Yes,,, DAZ connect can easy install all, ,but  DIM only user may not hope re-install all again,, then they may plan to   use DAZ connect,,,,,to clean up it?  

I am afraid, even though there is report,,  daz say, it is desigend like that.

Ah I know,, daz do not intend it,,they have no evil in mind.  but after all,, these change, gradually  force DIM user, to use DAZ connect actually.  

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

Sadly, no grand conspiracy to eliminate DIM here. That looks like a bug, please report it so the product team can clean it up.

I believe it was a change in how we store some of these letters so we can better utilize indexes and speed up the database. Looks like the code that migrates data from the 4.8 tables to the 4.9 tables is missing a thing.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    DAZ_Rawb said:

Sadly, no grand conspiracy to eliminate DIM here. That looks like a bug, please report it so the product team can clean it up.

I believe it was a change in how we store some of these letters so we can better utilize indexes and speed up the database. Looks like the code that migrates data from the 4.8 tables to the 4.9 tables is missing a thing.

What???!??! Its NOT a conspiracy?

Are you sure?

Really?  if ,,,,,  you just have not noticed hidden conspiracy,,,,,   cool   oh well, it is what it is.  I will send report,, DAZ_Rawb said so.angel  

DAZ really plan to change meta-data of  all daz products for new 4.9 ?   I do not care, if they work  better  , I may install all product by DIM again  

Really?  if ,,,,,  you just have not noticed hidden conspiracy,,,,,   cool   oh well, it is what it is.  I will send report,, DAZ_Rawb said so.angel  

DAZ really plan to change meta-data of  all daz products for new 4.9 ?   I do not care, if they work  better  , I may install all product by DIM again  

If I understand you correctly, and if I understand the position of "librarian" that was mentioned earlier on, then... yes they are working on updating the meta-data for everything. They now have person whose job it is to update and standardize the metadata.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong and that is not what this librarian is doing.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

If I understand you correctly, and if I understand the position of "librarian" that was mentioned earlier on, then... yes they are working on updating the meta-data for everything. They now have person whose job it is to update and standardize the metadata.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong and that is not what this librarian is doing.

I thought that was mentioned a few threads ago...and what I thought was happening.  That and there's now a big, powerful computer dedicated to that task...

• mjc1016 said:

I thought that was mentioned a few threads ago...and what I thought was happening.  That and there's now a big, powerful computer dedicated to that task...

Yes, there is a dedicated librarian with dedicasted systems, and the internal processes are being (or have already been) updated to improve things in future. By the list I saw something on the order of 3,500 items have been updated over the last four weeks or so with more being worked on.

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    mjc1016 said:

Yes, there is a dedicated librarian with dedicasted systems, and the internal processes are being (or have already been) updated to improve things in future. By the list I saw something on the order of 3,500 items have been updated over the last four weeks or so with more being worked on.

Can you send them over to sort out my pictures and music folders when they're done?

What's the current state of the beta actually like? Each new public beta release seems to have generated more and more bugs (which seems weird since those should have been evident in the private builds and those releases not made public) but it's difficult to keep track of every change and fix even with the secret release log page. I'm just interested in a general "yup, it's looking pretty good in the latest versions" or "it's a bit like when I ran over your cat and had to put it back together before you noticed" sort of thing, not a point by point of every super technical change.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,662
    edited December 2015

The change log has gained a number of fixes for bug reports recently.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 2015
    By the list I saw something on the order of 3,500 items have been updated over the last four weeks or so with more being worked on.

If it has done, (or you just see the list, but not see the actuall meta-data which generated?) why DAZ simply can not up-date meta-data everyday (eg offer new meta-data 10 products everyday)

There seems no reason, DAZ should offer them with ds 4.9 and DAZ connect. If One day, DAZ suddenly up-date all meta-data, with 4.9, it simply make user difficult when there is problem. without they first download the product.

And I hope it clear,, there should not be any relationship, to offer meta-data for products which user have bought in daz shop, (it is DAZ duty for customer) and to offer new ds 4.9 with daz connect.

I appreciate DAZ improve the way to generate clean and reliable meta-data, but these are not mentioned with daz studio 4.9 or daz connect things.

DAZ can simply offer them for current ds 4.8 and DIM (or manuall install package). I sometimes heared,, at first DAZ connect items are up-loaded. then after all , DIM package will be up-dated. why DAZ connect package has priority about meta-data? To offer good meta-data is DAZ duty for user who bought items and installed. I feel some irritating, when DAZ proud their new meta-data (will be offered) as if it is one of merit of DAZ connect..

• DAZ_JonDAZ_Jon Posts: 582
    By the list I saw something on the order of 3,500 items have been updated over the last four weeks or so with more being worked on.

If it has done, (or you just see the list, but not see the actuall meta-data which generated?) why DAZ simply can not up-date meta-data everyday (eg offer new meta-data 10 products everyday)

There seems no reason, DAZ should offer them with ds 4.9 and DAZ connect. If One day, DAZ suddenly up-date all meta-data, with 4.9, it simply make user difficult when there is problem. without they first download the product.

And I hope it clear,, there should not be any relationship, to offer meta-data for products which user have bought in daz shop, (it is DAZ duty for customer) and to offer new ds 4.9 with daz connect.

I appreciate DAZ improve the way to generate clean and reliable meta-data, but these are not mentioned with daz studio 4.9 or daz connect things.

DAZ can simply offer them for current ds 4.8 and DIM (or manuall install package). I sometimes heared,, at first DAZ connect items are up-loaded. then after all , DIM package will be up-dated. why DAZ connect package has priority about meta-data? To offer good meta-data is DAZ duty for user who bought items and installed. I feel some irritating, when DAZ proud their new meta-data (will be offered) as if it is one of merit of DAZ connect..

We can't offer (or better stated, we won't offer) updated meta data through DIM and the zip method because of one simple reason. The update of metadata is a relatively small change to the package which would require re-downloading the entire product. Often this would be hundreds of megabytes, if not gigabytes, of transfer, per product, just for the metadata which can come down in a 10KB payload essentially. The bandwidth it would generate as well as customer support queries as to "why was X updated and nothing seemed to change?", and how many people wouldn't be able to take advantage of it due to bandwidth caps, makes it unrealistic to do. 

The DIM packages aren't being updated with the metadata changes, and won't get the latest metadata, unless a substantial change / fix / improvement is done to a product which would warrant an entire product update to cause everyone to redownload. Add to that the manual labor on top of it to update every package (as opposed to making a bunch of metadata changes, using a script to get just those, and then uploading it to our servers to process) and QCing to make sure the packages still work properly, "just update the DIM packages" is a lot more time consuming, expensive, and massively more restrictive. Allowing metadata to be sent down on its own, seperate from the content files in a product, is logistically necessary to allow for rapid and large changes and is one of the big pillars of Daz Connect and we will update metadata with DIM packages as the changes to the actual content files dictate new versions of the packages should be distributed.

Are you really feel it is fair?  angry

Daz have said us to use DIM, then re-download all package again,  to use it correctly. then I did it so. yes it was really annoy work.

If it is really problem  to install all  content again , why you can  claim user to download all items by DIM before? 

edited December 2015

You after all, make clear advantage to use DAZ connect. then said DIM user can not get clean meata-data,

Then I said  YOU  DAZ after all force User to use DAZ connect.

Before DAZ up-date Content by DIM again and again, just for correct one meta-data. yes It is eallly foolish I felt.

but it is not problem install Content by DIM for meta-data. The problem was simply because, why you need so many up-date

just correct meta-data problem about same content. 

then Now DAZ said We can offer clean meta-data , it should work fine, but You need to install it by DAZ connect.

You are  un-fair, and not right at-all. 

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    DAZ_Jon said:
    ... The bandwidth it would generate as well as customer support queries as to "why was X updated and nothing seemed to change?", ...

Wellllll - I thought that is why the Readme's where outsourced to online only - so we will find the newest version and newest information there? I know - not many at Daz are doing updates to those Readme's - the old included Readme's where updated when the product was updated, but the new online ones are mostly not updated (apart from Jen's PC updates).

Luckily I don't use metadata or smartcontent (I am smarter than my content), but I am a bit worried about the "unless a substantial change / fix / improvement is done to a product which would warrant an entire product update to cause everyone to redownload." What is substantial and what is not?

• Kerya said:
    DAZ_Jon said:
    ... The bandwidth it would generate as well as customer support queries as to "why was X updated and nothing seemed to change?", ...

Wellllll - I thought that is why the Readme's where outsourced to online only - so we will find the newest version and newest information there? I know - not many at Daz are doing updates to those Readme's - the old included Readme's where updated when the product was updated, but the new online ones are mostly not updated (apart from Jen's PC updates).

Luckily I don't use metadata or smartcontent (I am smarter than my content), but I am a bit worried about the "unless a substantial change / fix / improvement is done to a product which would warrant an entire product update to cause everyone to redownload." What is substantial and what is not?

I think what Jon meant was that new metadata alone will not be a reason to issue an update. Anything else that normally triggers an update - actual changed content fixing an issue or adding an enhancement - will trigger an update as normal.

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

So, it sounds like "IF you want to get the metadata updates, you HAVE to use DAZ Connect.  BUT, you can still use DIM if you don't care about metadata updates."

So much for not making DAZ connect mandatory.

Why can't DAZ update DIM to allow separate metadata downloads for each product (in addition to normal full-package downloads?)  Seems like that wouldn't be that difficult a proposition. It would require a re-work of how files to be downloaded are queried from the server, and an addition of an 'update' class of download (for a given product.)  That way, it would only download updates once the main package is downloaded.  The update could contain updates for metadata, geometry, textures, etc....so that even if the package is updated beyond just metadata, updates would no longer require re-downloading the WHOLE package, just the update file.  If DAZ Connect is already doing this, it seems like part of the code needed is already written, and simply would have to be ported over to DIM (with some small modifications.)

edited December 2015
    hphoenix said:

So, it sounds like "IF you want to get the metadata updates, you HAVE to use DAZ Connect.  BUT, you can still use DIM if you don't care about metadata updates."

So much for not making DAZ connect mandatory.

Why can't DAZ update DIM to allow separate metadata downloads for each product (in addition to normal full-package downloads?)  Seems like that wouldn't be that difficult a proposition. It would require a re-work of how files to be downloaded are queried from the server, and an addition of an 'update' class of download (for a given product.)  That way, it would only download updates once the main package is downloaded.  The update could contain updates for metadata, geometry, textures, etc....so that even if the package is updated beyond just metadata, updates would no longer require re-downloading the WHOLE package, just the update file.  If DAZ Connect is already doing this, it seems like part of the code needed is already written, and simply would have to be ported over to DIM (with some small modifications.)

DIM already has a separate product update function. It also already has the ability for products to be separate files (i.e. DS & Poser versions, and only one of them might receive an update - have seen that a few times.) It seems like the only change necessary would be to shift the metadata into its own zip as part of its package?

Edit: I should probably add that although the ability for DIM to supply metadata appears simple enough from the outside (who knows how complicated it actually is) actually sticking all of that metadata into separate files is very probably an absolutely massive undertaking and I know that most software these days is trying to fix/add as much as you can afford to with the time you have, rather than adding every dream item. 

Also, I personally couldn't care less if any of my content had metadata or not, because I prefer organising it myself. I really like DIM though and have no plans to stop using it.

Post edited by lx_2807502 on

It sure would be nice for everyone to get what they want, when they want it.  But... hey, that doesn't really always work out, does it?

This is not about fair.  Nor is it about right or wrong.

This is a huge undertaking in and of itself, doesn't surprise me in the least if they are making use of their easiest delivery channel.

Yes, you bought a product 10 years ago... are you owned anything at this point? Not really. But they are working to make available updates to products that stretch back for years.  That's pretty exemplary right there.

And what is the big deal about using Connect? Its simple, non-intrusive (ok, less intrusive since they removed the encryption)... I just do not get what all the commotion is about. It works! And Smart Content is finally usable. I had such high hopes for it when they released it, but it never went anywhere.  Now its practically all I use, but I can still fall back to the old way for products not supported or from outside vendors.

Luddites.

• I agree with evilded777, I have been using the Smart Content to organise my content since it was introduced. I had thousands of products that did not include meta data so I learned how to create my own. I have found it to be much more benefical than moving files around on my hard drive as many other do. Adopting change is something that many of us struggle with and for those that do not want to change, that is a choice that they can make. If we had never receive content in any other manner than the Connect method, then change to another method would create just as much noice and complaints as this change is creating now.

IMHO, things change, so "suck it up buttercup" and move on. If you choose to stand still or not to move forward, then you are being left behind, you will be missed! Everything we get from DAZ3D comes from an on-line connection, so I fail to understand why the Connect method is such a big problem. You don't have to sign in so if you have connection challenges, you can simply work off-line. If you are surfing the site from a different machine to make purchases, then use the DIM to download and you will get all of the information in files that you can trasport to your off-line machine.

The meta data updates can be obtained in the same manner, simply wait until the backlog of updates is complete and perform a mass update to obtain all of the newest information. There are any number of different ways those individual problems can be addressed. It is not DAZ's responsibility to solve anyones individual connection issues nor should it be. That is not their business, they are in the business of creating and selling products through an on-line (Connected) medium called the Internet.

To the crew at DAZ, keep up the good work and don't let the negative nellies discourage your efforts in improving the product or any of the products features.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 2015
    DAZ_Jon said:

We can't offer (or better stated, we won't offer) updated meta data through DIM and the zip method because of one simple reason. The update of metadata is a relatively small change to the package which would require re-downloading the entire product. Often this would be hundreds of megabytes, if not gigabytes, of transfer, per product, just for the metadata which can come down in a 10KB payload essentially. The bandwidth it would generate as well as customer support queries as to "why was X updated and nothing seemed to change?", and how many people wouldn't be able to take advantage of it due to bandwidth caps, makes it unrealistic to do. 

The DIM packages aren't being updated with the metadata changes, and won't get the latest metadata, unless a substantial change / fix / improvement is done to a product which would warrant an entire product update to cause everyone to redownload. Add to that the manual labor on top of it to update every package (as opposed to making a bunch of metadata changes, using a script to get just those, and then uploading it to our servers to process) and QCing to make sure the packages still work properly, "just update the DIM packages" is a lot more time consuming, expensive, and massively more restrictive. Allowing metadata to be sent down on its own, seperate from the content files in a product, is logistically necessary to allow for rapid and large changes and is one of the big pillars of Daz Connect and we will update metadata with DIM packages as the changes to the actual content files dictate new versions of the packages should be distributed.

Well, well… While I think DAZ Connect is a real improvement to the content distribution and updating, and having zero concerns about encryption or connecting to the internet for updates and downloads, I feel betrayed by DAZ_John statement. To be clear, again, I have zero problem with DAZ Connect. When the time arrive I will migrate without any concerns except I want it working without the current flaws. I am a subsciber of Adobe Creative Cloud, Digital Juice, Lynda.com, and DAZ Platinum Club and in overall I am very satisfied customer from these content providers. No regrets, just an economical concern related to the actual dolar exchange rates in my country which has doubled my expenses, but the issue is not related with the quality of the services and content provided by those vendors.

Anyway, I really like DIM and have been using the tool since it was released. I just hated the executable installers. The point is that DAZ_John argument is a fallacy. There are no need of update every package as stated. Just update the metadata issuing a update package with the new metadata. DIM will overwrite the old metadata file and can enforce the CMS updating for the product's metadata. This is technically easier than the current DAZ work to migrate DIM installed files to be recognized by DAZ Connect, and I think this could be a really smart move. So, in fact DAZ is enforcing users to adopt the new distribuition method. As I said before, I am confortable with DAZ Connect and I hope the bugs will be fixed at the release time, but IMHO DAZ should be clear and honest in their intentions. The same concerns and protests were made when DIM was released, and a lot of users still vocal their hate to DIM and prefer downloads from the Public Library. I don't remember if I downloaded something from there at anytime, but seems some lessons could be learned from the previous experience. Keeping 3 different methods for content distribuition seems unfeseable, so no doubts about DIM's future. Making it a second class tool is the same than kill it.

Post edited by MBusch on
    MBusch said:
    No regrets, just an economical concern related to the actual dolar exchange rates in my country which has doubled my expenses, but the issue is not related with the quality of the services and content provided by those vendors

As an Australian whose costs have skyrocketted thanks to exchange rates, I feel your pain. I hope overseas businesses are taking this into account when looking at any potential losses: sometimes it isn't your products or offers, simply economics out of your control.

If DIM dies I'll be very sad and will in all likelihood go to manual downloads. Connect is way too automated and behind the scenes for my tastes when it comes to having my download zips in plain sight, and the file structure of the cloud folder is plain obnoxious thanks to its SKU only structure. If a filesystem requires me to search a table to find something, it's failed. This isn't helped by the way the Product Index is for some bizarre reason incredibly slow despite being text only, and its search function rarely finds anything even when searching by SKU number. Fixing the documentation, indexes, and other background tools is far more important than worrying about a whole new system in my mind.

• Dearest, after DIM installed 4.9 beta (it appeared 2 times already in DIM)  , should I see 4.9 in the DAZ Studio start up logo and when I click on "about.....'  ? Because it doesn't. I am still using a Windows Pro 32 bit OS. Any asnwers to this? Thanks in advance...

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Welllll - first it is "you have to download with DIM to get update notifications" - now it is "you have to download with DazConnect to get updates" - because we have concerns about the bandwidth ... what about the bandwidth and your customers that have a download limit that downloaded all their purchases with DIM and now are asked to download again?

Gla ...

I didn't even succeed in downloading everything with DIM (and I DO prefer zips, so it is something I am working on).