Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.0.21!

1262728293032»

Comments

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited November 2015
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    Superdog said:

I know what the 4.9 FAQ says, but I can't help but be distrustful of what the long-term goals of Daz Connect will be... especially enforcing the library.

Yes, your files wills tay put. No, you don't have to be logged in (even if you do use the Connect system) to work. However, if and when there is content that is Connect-only you won't be able to use that - but your existing, and currently forthcoming, content is not going to change (unless and until almost everyone abandons DIM, at least).

I can use Steam offline. I don't always have a secure internet connection, so I don't like logging in everywhere I am at. This helps out Steam as well as myself because people who are not me are less likely to steal my credentials. 

Making me log in to Daz when I'm in an unsecure location? That would be... short-sighted (to be polite).

Connect should be used offline.

if and when there is content that is Connect-only you won't be able to use that

So when content is updated to Connect only (including, I assume, all older content) we'll need an internet connection to use it? So if I'm using DS on location I need to log in somewhere? If so that necessitates a VPN otherwise nothing is secure. More expense, more ways for 3rd parties to log usage and nothing is ever 100% secure while online.

The reason I use DS is because it's free, easier to use than some other apps (although that's debatable) and, most importantly, because of the content. But what I loved about DAZ is that it still retained that hands on approach to content use that is a distinguishing feature of the 3D content market - at least at the lower end of the market. Now it seems we're going to be locked into a DAZ ecosystem somewhat like Abobe products. I know the rule is never make predictions but this closing of the walls suits subscription models like Adobe use where access to software and content is controlled by a monthly fee - outright ownership is forbidden and access is only available while the subs are being paid. Scary stuff, but why else activate software and content online? The line appears to be that change is a good thing because alternative models cultivate diversity but invariably this is marketing speak for ultimately wanting to migrate all customers to a single approach.

You are able to use all of your installed Daz Connect content while offline. Only when you download do you need to be online. We are even working on a system so you will be able to install Daz Connect packages while offline as long as that machine has connected at least once.

There are no additional online checks for loading, posing, rendering, morphing or anything. Just installation, same as if you download through DIM or get the zip straight from your product library. Any products you currently own will always continue to be available in unencrypted zips.

There are also no plans any sort of subscription service attached to Daz Studio, nor any plans to start charging for Daz Studio again.

Additionally, there are no plans to cut off any third party content. Even if we wanted to restrict third party content we couldn't because content you generate yourself looks identical to content from third parties.

Finally we have a "poison pill" piece of software that will decrypt all content on your system that we will distribute if Daz ever stops (goes out of business, changes to focus on Korean hair care products, is attacked by Godzilla and Mothra, etc) running the Daz Connect servers.

Thanks for the feedback. My main concern is with offline use. I really don't want to envisage a situation where I can't access my content. I like having my database stored on an HDD so that I can reinstall it at any time in case something goes wrong. I don't trust online storage nor more information about me or my product usage being collected. As an artist I have the right to use any resouces I buy in my creations as long as I don't break copyright. Can you guarentee that my copyright will not be broken through the monitoring of my usage and clearly state what information will be collected when this rolls out? I take copyright very seriously and that includes protecting my own practice and creations.

Post edited by Superdog on
  • MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited November 2015
    rbtwhiz said:

What is new in this version? Do I need to update my copy?

This version resolves many issues and implements many improvements since the 4.8.0.59 General Release.  More detail on specific fixes/changes/improvements can be found in the Change Log, which can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site.  All new downloads of the Daz Studio Pro BETA product (SKU: 12000) will be of this version.

1. Smart Content pane…
        • Quick access to online ReadMe
          • Context menu > "More Information..."
      • Categories
        • Lost and Found
        •  

I made a request to get and option to access the online ReadMe inside the embebed Studio browser when clicking Context menu> "More Information…". I hope the feature request will not be lost at customer support.

What exactly the newly "Lost and Found" category holds?

Post edited by MBusch on
  • artoirartoir Posts: 65

Can someone please tell me where my saved scenes are going, or how ro save them correctly? I'd really like to know so I won't have to keep a scene open until I'm done working on it, render it, then send it off to God knows where when I close Daz. They are still saving to my computer, but not showing up in any folder in Daz 4.9. When I double click a scene on my computer, it opens it in the old 4.8 before it was upgraded to the public build. HAALP!!

• Thanks, but to be honest it is easier the organized from scratch. Trying to organize content that is already organized is a complete headache. I think its better just to use the content library and build catagories from there I could move whole folders! I wish I could move whole folders(product) from the smart content tab to my catagory of choice rather than just single files. This is taking too long and the smart content tab feels too all over the place for me to use.

Smart content tab NEEDS a "Create a Catagory from" when we right click on the product. It will certainly help.

Isn't that what you already have in Content Library > Products?

Well I'll be ... So that's what is for. Never bothered with that cause I've never used smart before.

No good, can't duplicate folder from the Content Library>Products? It will only let you move individual files.

You can right-click on a product and choose "Create Category", works for me in both 4.8 and 4.9.

Tried doesn't seem to work right now, I restarted Studio and tried again, but it crashed. I think I may have to wait for the next update.

• artoir said:

They are still saving to my computer, but not showing up in any folder in Daz 4.9.

What exact steps are you doing to save? There are a few different ways, not all of them immediately obvious, and not all of them give you proper control over where your files end up.

• artoir said:

Can someone please tell me where my saved scenes are going, or how ro save them correctly? I'd really like to know so I won't have to keep a scene open until I'm done working on it, render it, then send it off to God knows where when I close Daz. They are still saving to my computer, but not showing up in any folder in Daz 4.9. When I double click a scene on my computer, it opens it in the old 4.8 before it was upgraded to the public build. HAALP!!

If you want to see the scenes in DAZ Studio, then you need to map the folder where you save them in Content Directory Manager under DAZ Studio Formats.

• artoirartoir Posts: 65
    artoir said:

If you want to see the scenes in DAZ Studio, then you need to map the folder where you save them in Content Directory Manager under DAZ Studio Formats.

OOhhh duuerr, got it! Thanks so much!!

• As for exporting/importing... If we can export it, then we can reimport it to get around the gate to the Walled Garden.

What good are the walls then?

A question DAZ_*** are keeping not answering. 

Yes they do - it is intended to at least slow the release of piratd content. The leeches are lazy, even having to use a round trip will be a bit of a disincentive (and it isn't that quick to export and rebuild a whole product).

• Superdog said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    Superdog said:

I know what the 4.9 FAQ says, but I can't help but be distrustful of what the long-term goals of Daz Connect will be... especially enforcing the library.

Yes, your files wills tay put. No, you don't have to be logged in (even if you do use the Connect system) to work. However, if and when there is content that is Connect-only you won't be able to use that - but your existing, and currently forthcoming, content is not going to change (unless and until almost everyone abandons DIM, at least).

I can use Steam offline. I don't always have a secure internet connection, so I don't like logging in everywhere I am at. This helps out Steam as well as myself because people who are not me are less likely to steal my credentials. 

Making me log in to Daz when I'm in an unsecure location? That would be... short-sighted (to be polite).

So when content is updated to Connect only (including, I assume, all older content) we'll need an internet connection to use it? So if I'm using DS on location I need to log in somewhere? If so that necessitates a VPN otherwise nothing is secure. More expense, more ways for 3rd parties to log usage and nothing is ever 100% secure while online.

The reason I use DS is because it's free, easier to use than some other apps (although that's debatable) and, most importantly, because of the content. But what I loved about DAZ is that it still retained that hands on approach to content use that is a distinguishing feature of the 3D content market - at least at the lower end of the market. Now it seems we're going to be locked into a DAZ ecosystem somewhat like Abobe products. I know the rule is never make predictions but this closing of the walls suits subscription models like Adobe use where access to software and content is controlled by a monthly fee - outright ownership is forbidden and access is only available while the subs are being paid. Scary stuff, but why else activate software and content online? The line appears to be that change is a good thing because alternative models cultivate diversity but invariably this is marketing speak for ultimately wanting to migrate all customers to a single approach.

You are able to use all of your installed Daz Connect content while offline. Only when you download do you need to be online. We are even working on a system so you will be able to install Daz Connect packages while offline as long as that machine has connected at least once.

There are no additional online checks for loading, posing, rendering, morphing or anything. Just installation, same as if you download through DIM or get the zip straight from your product library. Any products you currently own will always continue to be available in unencrypted zips.

There are also no plans any sort of subscription service attached to Daz Studio, nor any plans to start charging for Daz Studio again.

Additionally, there are no plans to cut off any third party content. Even if we wanted to restrict third party content we couldn't because content you generate yourself looks identical to content from third parties.

Finally we have a "poison pill" piece of software that will decrypt all content on your system that we will distribute if Daz ever stops (goes out of business, changes to focus on Korean hair care products, is attacked by Godzilla and Mothra, etc) running the Daz Connect servers.

Thanks for the feedback. My main concern is with offline use. I really don't want to envisage a situation where I can't access my content. I like having my database stored on an HDD so that I can reinstall it at any time in case something goes wrong. I don't trust online storage nor more information about me or my product usage being collected. As an artist I have the right to use any resouces I buy in my creations as long as I don't break copyright. Can you guarentee that my copyright will not be broken through the monitoring of my usage and clearly state what information will be collected when this rolls out? I take copyright very seriously and that includes protecting my own practice and creations.

Nothing is stored on-line. There will be an off-line package option, so that you will be able to download content and install it on a different machine if desired, as long as that machine has connected to your account once. No monitoring is taking place, no information (other than any files you ask to download and any search terms you use in the store tab) is sent to Daz.

• artoir said:

The beta has a separate list of last-used paths, so it won't match the release build. Try going to File>Save and note the folder the dialogue opens on.

• A while ago I upgraded my RAM from 16G to 32G.  I didn't really need to.  It was just cheap and when using DS I got vaguely near using my full 16G.  A few times I caught the computer using a bit over 16G.

Moving to 4.9, I'm routinely over 16G.  This thing seems to be a memory hog.  I'm in a position to trade RAM use for speed, but still...

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,437
    hzr said:

I hope you are reading the clear message you get from your customers in this thread. I have not seen any positive feedback towards Connect. Noone wants to use it, why do you see it as something that has to be implemented? What is your motivation behind it? Explain yourselves, because you have not yet done so. The only answers from your side are related to non critical feedback as far as I am aware.

This might sound bitter, but afterall this is the only power that we as customers have: to vote with the wallet. And if you do not give us any other chance, this is exactly what you will get from the people who are deciding to open it for buying content... or not.

DRM for games or applications that is not intrusive is something you can sometimes live with, as long as it does not hinder the user, but for content, which the user wants to edit and export to other applications etc... this is too much. I can understand that you want to protect the content from piracy, but the first who suffer from this are the loyal users who buy the content and have to fight with these mechanisms.

hzr said:

I hope you are reading the clear message you get from your customers in this thread. I have not seen any positive feedback towards Connect. Noone wants to use it, why do you see it as something that has to be implemented? What is your motivation behind it? Explain yourselves, because you have not yet done so. The only answers from your side are related to non critical feedback as far as I am aware.

This might sound bitter, but afterall this is the only power that we as customers have: to vote with the wallet. And if you do not give us any other chance, this is exactly what you will get from the people who are deciding to open it for buying content... or not.

DRM for games or applications that is not intrusive is something you can sometimes live with, as long as it does not hinder the user, but for content, which the user wants to edit and export to other applications etc... this is too much. I can understand that you want to protect the content from piracy, but the first who suffer from this are the loyal users who buy the content and have to fight with these mechanisms.

I guess you haven't seen my posts, then. I may be a minority.... but I have nothing bad to say. I dig it. All this hubub about encryption...it hasn't affected me in anyway.  And I love the improvements to Smart Content.

And just to be clear: I'm no fanboy and I hate DRM. That being said, this encryption has, so far, not hindered me in any way. I imagine it might at some point, but so far... nothing.  I think the more important push ought to be for standardizing metadata and improving the quality of it for both old and new products.

• Blantyr said:

A while ago I upgraded my RAM from 16G to 32G.  I didn't really need to.  It was just cheap and when using DS I got vaguely near using my full 16G.  A few times I caught the computer using a bit over 16G.

Moving to 4.9, I'm routinely over 16G.  This thing seems to be a memory hog.  I'm in a position to trade RAM use for speed, but still...

Maybe  if it caches information based on how much RAM you have in your system? Has memory usage  stayed steady or has it been growing?

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    Superdog said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    Superdog said:

Nothing is stored on-line. There will be an off-line package option, so that you will be able to download content and install it on a different machine if desired, as long as that machine has connected to your account once. No monitoring is taking place, no information (other than any files you ask to download and any search terms you use in the store tab) is sent to Daz.

I am elderly/handicapped.  My work machine is a PC with no access to the Net.  Please explain to me how I'm going to carry that PC to Starbuck's for even a one-time connection to my account.

• atticanne said:
    Superdog said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    Superdog said:

I am elderly/handicapped.  My work machine is a PC with no access to the Net.  Please explain to me how I'm going to carry that PC to Starbuck's for even a one-time connection to my account.

No dial-up/Mbolie dongle possible? If not I don't knoww hat provisions may have been made to help cases like yours.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

I guess you haven't seen my posts, then. I may be a minority.... but I have nothing bad to say. I dig it. All this hubub about encryption...it hasn't affected me in anyway.  And I love the improvements to Smart Content.

And just to be clear: I'm no fanboy and I hate DRM. That being said, this encryption has, so far, not hindered me in any way. I imagine it might at some point, but so far... nothing.  I think the more important push ought to be for standardizing metadata and improving the quality of it for both old and new products.

I am fine with it as well.  Anyone who uses iClone or Unity have experienced similar restrictions, so this is not new, just new to Daz.

I am wary of the export options though.  If piracy is the issue, then they would need to lock these down at some point, and maybe have a similar policy like iClone (i.e. only those items "allowed" to be exported can be exported, and those items may cost more)  Right now the OBJ and FBX export is pretty good, but it keeps the door open for piracy.  If the future closes that door, then people who like animation or dynamics, or other things that are not DS strong points, may look elsewhere.

...but for now, it seems it's all good!  smiley

•  I think the more important push ought to be for standardizing metadata and improving the quality of it for both old and new products.

One thing I would like to see is separate product ID spaces so that products sold at other sites can start including metadata (without worrying about reusing a product ID from a different store). Unfortunbately it's not really in DAZ's interest.

Something that is is a way to loosen the requirements for hair, which is probably the most portable content out there such that it's easy to use hair meant for V4 on V6, etc. I would love an option to keep things tighter for other items but "all" for hair.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

atticanne said:

No dial-up/Mobile dongle possible? If not I don't knoww hat provisions may have been made to help cases like yours.

The way our company handles that is:

1. Generate a PC signature (PC-SIG) using a utility on the offline PC
    2. Move that PC-SIG to a connected device, and submit/get a "key" for it
    3. Move the "key" back to the offline PC and install it

It's a common limitation in businesses that keep company Server's off the internet.

Maybe they will do the same?

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited November 2015
    argel1200 said:
    Blantyr said:

A while ago I upgraded my RAM from 16G to 32G.  I didn't really need to.  It was just cheap and when using DS I got vaguely near using my full 16G.  A few times I caught the computer using a bit over 16G.

Maybe  if it caches information based on how much RAM you have in your system? Has memory usage  stayed steady or has it been growing?

Also, things have been getting more complex and bigger. 4k maps instead of 2k maps, HD figures, etc. When I first started, I could barely fit a single figure into my computers 3GB of ram with cloths, often with not enough room left for hair, lol. I have since upgraded my computer twice, and the newer products have gotten larger, and my habits have also changed as well (more figures in each scene, I use more raw BMP maps, larger renders, etc). Looking back at my first few items I had, they don't appear to take more ram, just the newer stuff. And again, my habits have changed such that I no longer look everywhere I can to save ram.

I'll take a quick look between 4.8 and 4.9, nothing vs just my test chamber. "ZdgTestChamber02dot2_AllLightsAndRoom_256txtrs"

Studio 4.8 64bit. Empty 281,252k
    Studio 4.8 64bit. ZdgTestChammberAll 296,569k
    Difference, 15,317k

Studio 4.9 64bit. Empty 274,372k
    Studio 4.9 64bit. ZdgTestChammberAll 298,248k
    Difference, 23,876k

It is indeed taking more Ram for the same exact stuff, about 35% more ram. If that is not because of debugging code, I can understand how that would not be good for hundred magabyte items.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    atticanne said:
    Superdog said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    Superdog said:

One way round this problem is for DAZ to allow your DS intallation to produce a unique file which can be transferred to a laptop or other mobile device and then used to verify your PC installation. A lot of software companies use this off-line method for registration. For example in the audio industry small studios often keep their work stations off-line fro security reasons. Off-line registration is designed for this frequent problem. I hope DAZ impliments it.

Superdog said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    Superdog said:

That's good to know.

• DAZ_JonDAZ_Jon Posts: 582

a

argel1200 said:

I think the more important push ought to be for standardizing metadata and improving the quality of it for both old and new products.

One thing I would like to see is separate product ID spaces so that products sold at other sites can start including metadata (without worrying about reusing a product ID from a different store). Unfortunbately it's not really in DAZ's interest.

Something that is is a way to loosen the requirements for hair, which is probably the most portable content out there such that it's easy to use hair meant for V4 on V6, etc. I would love an option to keep things tighter for other items but "all" for hair.

other stores already can. In the meta data specifications, and you can see it in all our Metadata, is a store field. If that is filled in with their own data, it handles it properly and makes it so it can keep the product meta data not step on each other.

• DAZ_Jon said:
    other stores already can. In the meta data specifications, and you can see it in all our Metadata, is a store field. If that is filled in with their own data, it handles it properly and makes it so it can keep the product meta data not step on each other.

Ugh! So they just aren't doing it. Thanks for the clarification!! Good to know who to beat up on! ;)

Are there any plans to create a way to share products and categories we create? That would help deal with vendors not providing metadata. And some users will probablyhave some useful/interesting ways of categorizing things that could be useful to share. One example could be to list every product used in a render so that others can load the category and have everything on hand. Could be included with products (for the promos) but I was also thinking of a way to post it on e.g. deviantArt along with the render (or make it avaialbe on request). Anyway, soemthing to think about. Or is that capability already there too (note: has to be easy to use)?

Again, thanks for the clarification!

argel1200 said:
    DAZ_Jon said:

Ugh! So they just aren't doing it. Thanks for the clarification!! Good to know who to beat up on! ;)

Are there any plans to create a way to share products and categories we create? That would help deal with vendors not providing metadata. And some users will probablyhave some useful/interesting ways of categorizing things that could be useful to share. One example could be to list every product used in a render so that others can load the category and have everything on hand. Could be included with products (for the promos) but I was also thinking of a way to post it on e.g. deviantArt along with the render (or make it avaialbe on request). Anyway, soemthing to think about. Or is that capability already there too (note: has to be easy to use)?

Again, thanks for the clarification!

You can already do that from the db editor, but it is a bit cumbersome. Watch the changelog for the next version of the public beta due out very soon, it has some things in there that makes it very easy to generate and share.

• a-sennova-sennov Posts: 331

Have installed and tried 4.9 Beta:

• anything more than single naked figure crashes Iray with "OpenGL TDR" exception no matter if it's final or viewport render (with the latest driver to date, 2x780 GTX, 3Gb VRAM, 24Gb system RAM). 4.8 renders all those scenes happily
    • for my materials SSS doesn't seem to change at all (that's why I always use my own materials for skin :) )
    • when it renders (single naked figure), it renders slightly faster
    • DAZ Connect has to be disabled forever, I'll nor buy anything encrypted, dot. Still, it ruined all my categories during 'migration' process :), had to restore them from backup in 4.8
    • they changed the Studio's logo too, it's pandemia :)
    • none of the Iray bugs I have submitted were fixed

It's funny how they run in circles with this software - the encryption is nothing new, they had it for old .daz format and also for scripts. Then came the age of "openess" with DSON and free SDK and Studio Pro itself, but finally darkness again began to take over:

• closed HD morph format and tools
    • undocumented features of DSON used in Genesis 3, along with general lack of docs
    • SDK not updated for ages
    • and now DAZ Connect to encrypt what once were open

Maybe it's just the time to move forward?..

• a-sennova-sennov Posts: 331
    DAZ_Jon said:

Two questions:

1. Is metadata format documented somewhere?
    2. Did stores agree to use said format as standard? (actually, this question touches the distribution format in general)
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2015
    3dOutlaw said:

I am fine with it as well.  Anyone who uses iClone or Unity have experienced similar restrictions, so this is not new, just new to Daz.

Unity stuff is not encrypted though. 

You can download your unity assets, move them out of the unity folder and install from wherever you like. Unity likes to store assets on the C Drive, which is my SSD and I don't want that gobbled up with assets. So I move them to a regular disk, and I can use them from there no issue. And on other computers, etc etc etc. 

FBX and OBJ aren't really ways around anything. Those would end up being different products altogether and not what people want. With the exception of maybe a simple prop.

Fbx wont let you export a neato properly rigged dress and import in the same format the daz content started in. If you have tried it you'll see it's not the same thing.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on

New Beta thread here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/65495/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-9-0-24

This thread will be locked. All new posts related to the beta please go there.

Posts about the philosophical, theoretical, or other speculation of DRM that isn't directly related to the functional impact on your workflows of encryption in Daz Connect will be removed from the beta thread in an effort to keep the thread on topic of improving the beta, working out bugs, etc. All DRM concerns or complaint posts go here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/65560/encryption-discussions-go-here.

This discussion has been closed.