DAZ Studio Pro 4.8.0.59, General Release, Now Available! [*UPDATED*]

DAZ_VinceDAZ_Vince Posts: 114
edited June 2015 in Daz Studio Discussion

DAZ 3D is pleased to announce the next General Release version of the DAZ Studio Pro - version 4.8.0.59! (UPDATED: 2015-6-18)

What is new in this version? Do I need to update my copy?

The 4.8.0.59 version resolves several issues and implements many features/improvements since the 4.7.0.12 General Release. More detail on specific fixes/changes/improvements can be found in the Change Log, which can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site and in the Public Beta threads leading up to this release. All new downloads of the DAZ Studio 4.x Pro product (SKU: 13176) will be of this version.

Some of the highlights are:

1) NVIDIA Iray Render Engine*
2) NVIDIA Iray DrawStyle*
3) Physically Based Materials*
4) Photometric Lights*
5) Decals*
6) Section Plane*
7) Render Settings Pane
8) Draw Settings Pane
9) Camera Headlamp Control
10) Surface Tags
11) Light Category Support
12) Image Editor
13) Wearable(s) Preset Save Filter Improvements
14) Material(s) Preset Save Filter Improvements
15) Shader Preset Save Filter Improvements
16) Render Settings Preset Save Filter Improvements
17) Move To Floor Improvements
18) City Limits Lite Layout Updated
19) Shader Mixer Additions
20) Shader Mixer Updated

*Note: NVIDIA Iray is 64-bit only; the 32-bit version does not include this feature.
*Note: NVIDIA Iray is GPU-accelerated only when used with CUDA enabled NVIDIA video cards; it will fall back to the CPU if no CUDA enabled NVIDIA cards are present.

Has the Content Management Service (CMS) been improved?
If you are already using the PostgreSQL based service, no it hasn't.

If you are still using the Valentina based service, yes it has. The Valentina based service is still supported, but it has been deprecated and is no longer included with the application; it can be obtained through Customer Support on a case by case basis - i.e. firewall/anti-virus software conflicts with PostgreSQL. The PostgreSQL based service has proven itself to be much more stable and much less prone to the data corruption issues that many have experienced in the past. The PostgreSQL based service has also proven to be somewhat faster.

With this new solution, there is no longer a need to start a service that runs in the background. Normally, the PostgreSQL server starts when the application starts and stops when the application stops; unless another application, like Install Manager, is connected to it - in which case it will stop when the last application connected to it closes. Explicit control to start the service is provided via an action [in the Content Library pane option menu] and a button [in the Smart Content pane] without ever needing to leave the application. Explicit control to stop the service is also provided via an action [in the Content Library pane option menu].

To help get you up and running with the new PostgreSQL service, we've added a separate package in Install Manager that will automatically migrate any existing data from your Valentina database; you simply install it after the PostgreSQL server is installed. We've also included an "Import Metadata from Valentina" script with the Built-In content. The amount of time required to migrate the data will vary depending on the amount of data you have and your system specs.

*Note: While the PostgreSQL server is installed, Install Manager will not install any data to the Valentina database.

What is the Application Improvement Program about?
It's about improving the DAZ Studio user experience. Support tickets and bug reports provide important clues as to the needs of you the customer, but they are only hints. This improvement program will allow us to "see" how the features of DAZ Studio are actually performing and where users are getting hung up.

If you choose to participate in the program, the statistics we will collect are anonymous and contain no personally identifiable information. We respect your right to privacy. That said, if you choose not to participate, we respect that too.

We encourage you to participate. In doing so, your use of the application will have a greater influence on where we focus our efforts.

Has the Genesis Starter Essentials, the Genesis 2 Starter Essentials (Male/Female), or the Default Lights and Shaders packages been updated too?

Yes, the "Genesis Starter Essentials", "Genesis 2 Starter Essentials" and "Default Lights and Shaders" packages provided with the product have each been updated recently (or will be shortly).

*Note: Install Manager users are notified of product updates when they occur.

How do I get the latest version?

If you have previously added the DAZ Studio 4.x Pro product to your account, launch Install Manager, log into your account and type "DAZ Studio 4.8" into the filter field to filter out anything else. Then simply download and install as you would normally.

Optionally, you can locate, download and install DAZ Studio Pro from the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering "DAZ Studio 4.8 Pro" into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the "Filter" button, or by clicking here. Then, simply click the green "download & install" button to launch Install Manager with an appropriate filter or click the blue "download" button to download the standalone installer.

If this is your first time downloading DAZ Studio Pro, simply follow this link, click the "Add to Cart" button on the page and then follow the checkout process.

*Note: This General Release version is available through Install Manager as well as a standalone installer.

Can I have the General Release and the BETA installed at the same time?

Yes! You can have both the General Release and a Public Build (as well as a Private Build, for those involved in that endeavor), of the same major version, installed at the same time. Please be aware that the settings for each of the builds are stored independent of each other. This includes mapped content directories, layout, style and style colors, among many others.

What about the plugins I have?

The DAZ Studio 4.5 SDK has not changed in any way that causes it to be binary incompatible with the current release, which means that any plugins created for a previous version of DAZ Studio 4.5 (i.e. 4.5.0.100+) should continue to load and function in this version. That said, as with any new release, there is always the possibility that a plugin has had bugs fixed or features added, so the latest versions should be downloaded and installed if they are provided.

Some plugins that are currently built/produced by DAZ 3D will provide a separate package that is specifically intended for use with this General Release; these packages will not contain "Public Build" in the package name, as that moniker is used for pre-release builds. 3rd party plugins that DAZ 3D creates install packages for will be updated to allow simultaneous installation into the General Release and the pre-release builds. These packages will display as "Product Updates" within Install Manager once they have been updated.

Is there any documentation?

Yes, there is. And we're actively working on more.

Check out the User Guide and QuickStart Guide that we've posted in the DAZ Studio 4.x Documentation section.

The Reference Guide is also in the process of being populated/updated; updates will be posted over the course of the coming days/weeks/months.

- Render Settings Pane : Editor Page : NVIDIA Iray
- Surfaces Pane : Editor Page : Iray Uber Shader

*Note: Some pages are still being built. If you see "permission denied" for a page, that page is not live yet.

Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• DAZ_VinceDAZ_Vince Posts: 114
    edited June 2015

Known Issues:

Here is a list of some known issues that we are currently working on resolving. We will give you some tips on how to avoid them when possible.

Iray related:

CPU Overclocking - If your CPU is overclocked it could result in instability that makes the renderer crash. If you encounter frequent crashes during render try removing your CPU from the list in Render Settings > NVIDIA Iray > Advanced > Devices, this will render using only your GPU. If the render works without the CPU in use, try "un-overclocking" your CPU and adding it back in to the render pool.

GPU memory overrun - We have noticed some issues with certain systems where the application crashes during rendering when the GPU memory is overrun. If you run into this issue, you can either remove the GPU from the list in Render Settings > NVIDIA Iray > Advanced > Devices, upgrade to a GPU with more memory or render smaller files.

Canvas Render (fixed) - When using canvases, the Firefly Filter can cause issues by being too aggressive. If your rendered image is missing a lot of texture detail it could be caused by the nominal luminance setting. You can modify the nominal luminance to reduce the aggressiveness of the filter or turn the firefly filter off completely. Again this only happens when using canvas renders.

Caustic Sampler - Some instability has been noticed when turning on/off the Caustic Sampler while a viewport is actively rendering (NVIDIA Iray Drawstyle). If you notice this issue, change your viewports to a different drawstyle before toggling on/off the caustic sampler. Depending on system and GPU memory it may be preferable to only use the caustic sampler while doing a render (not with the drawstyle).

Other:

Bryce Bridge (fixed) - The bridge is currently broken. While we work on a fix you can export/Import OBJ files between both applications

Post edited by rbtwhiz on
  • KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Is there an easy way to transfer your settings (layout, style and style colors, etc.) from the public build to the official release? I spent a lot of time with the beta and I'd like to keep my settings, but I don't want to mess up anything in the official release.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

...if you have customised your setup in the beta, will the changes be preserved in the general .0.55 release or will it default to whatever the 4.7 setup was (as it will uninstall and replace the previous general release)?

edited May 2015

KK - it does the latter, just replaces 4.7. And I figured out the answer to my own question. In the beta, save your workspace and style. You can then (in windows, probably a different place on a mac) go into your "computeruser\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build\user layouts" and "computeruser\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build\user styles" (App data is a hidden folder, so make sure you're displaying them.) Copy the custom files, and then just back up a directory to the Studio4 folder and add them to their respective folders. When you start the official 4.8 (non-beta version), you can just select the new layout and style.

Post edited by Karibou on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

How does one set up transparencies or alpha's to work? I've been holding off until now because I don't like beta's for how my work flow is... (and time) so I'm behind in understanding how to get areas like eyelashes and hair to look right.

Great release. Had a little time to play before heading off to work, which is where I am now....

Thanks DAZ

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    How does one set up transparencies or alpha's to work? I've been holding off until now because I don't like beta's for how my work flow is... (and time) so I'm behind in understanding how to get areas like eyelashes and hair to look right.

Great release. Had a little time to play before heading off to work, which is where I am now....

Thanks DAZ

As noted in the other thread, put your mask image in Cutout Opacity.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited May 2015

I haven't been following all of the beta threads, so all this is completely new to me. Is there a link way back to the beginning of all the "how do I set up Iray lighting" questions? I'm experimenting with lighting Stonemason's The Arc, and I'm stumbling on a few things.

* I can't stop the scene filling with light from the open end. I thought I'd completely turned off the environment dome so I can play around with emissive settings on the glowy bits of the scene. The light flooding in is totally overwhelming any settings I use.

* Do I only need to apply the Emissive shader with "ignore maps" set? Or is there something else I need to do? E.g. when I set up the LED surfaces, the "coloured" settings all changed to white. Shouldn't the colour setting have been preserved?

* I remember coming across mentions of having to turn the Luminance value way, way, way up. What sort of range should I put it in for e.g. a small LED or a light big enough to illuminate several square feet of floor? I'm not sure any of my light settings are actually bright enough to glow visibly when I try a render.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Thanks DAZ

I'll have a look-see when I get home. I'm guessing thats part of the Surfaces Advanced tab now or is it iRay and if it's iRay what if you have more than one mask like eyelashes and hair too?

edited December 1969

Karibou said:
    KK - it does the latter, just replaces 4.7. And I figured out the answer to my own question. In the beta, save your workspace and style. You can then (in windows, probably a different place on a mac) go into your "computeruser\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build\user layouts" and "computeruser\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build\user styles" (App data is a hidden folder, so make sure you're displaying them.) Copy the custom files, and then just back up a directory to the Studio4 folder and add them to their respective folders. When you start the official 4.8 (non-beta version), you can just select the new layout and style.

...that sounds like potential trouble for me as I'm not very good messing with moving things around on the windows side of things.

Is the layout for the default UI setting from the beta ("City Limits Lite") one of the options available? That is where I started from and I pretty much remember the changes I made (using a dual display setup)..

edited December 1969

...OK opened the DIM and I see two installers for 4.8 under Product Updates, one for what I guess is the General Release (.0.55), and another which is a public Build Beta+. Both have the same Package Date (05/16/15) but the "Beta" has a more recent time stamp than the General release. A bit confused here.

Also do not see the updated Iray content yet.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Somewhere it was announced that the updated content probably won't be up until tomorrow.

edited December 1969

I just read through the linked list on the first post. Worth a read folks. Helpful....

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,124
    edited December 1969

I got 4.80.55 last week when i updated 4.8 that what i made my animation with.. it worked great . best daz software yet.

edited May 2015

mjc1016 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Somewhere it was announced that the updated content probably won't be up until tomorrow.
    ..yeah just saw that on the Beta thread.

Still not sure why I am seeing two 4.8 installers.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...that sounds like potential trouble for me as I'm not very good messing with moving things around on the windows side of things.

Is the layout for the default UI setting from the beta ("City Limits Lite") one of the options available? That is where I started from and I pretty much remember the changes I made (using a dual display setup)..

Yes, City Limits Lite is available. But, just in case you're like me and you DON'T remember what you changed, here's the idiot's guide to copying settings from one DS install to a new one. :)

This is on a Windows 7 x64 machine, and every other Windows OS has something vaguely similar. No idea what to do on a Mac!

BetaSettings5.jpg
    831 x 1080 - 396K
    BetaSettings4.jpg
    892 x 768 - 286K
    BetaSettings3.jpg
    653 x 599 - 227K
    BetaSettings2.jpg
    638 x 688 - 295K
    BetaSettings1.jpg
    688 x 639 - 221K
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

The Reference Guide is also in the process of being populated/updated; updates will be posted over the course of the coming days/weeks/months.

REALLY? :coolgrin:

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited December 1969

"The Render Settings pane also now provides access to Light Path [removed]LPE), when NVIDIA Iray is set as the active engine."

Is this the "Canvases" sub tab in the Render Settings -> Advanced tab? If so, are there any instructions available on how to use it? Thanks in advance.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,942
    edited December 1969

_and DAZ Studio Pro 4.8 - DOESNT send to Bryce 7 Pro_``~...

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited May 2015

** INSTANT PROBLEM **

During installation, none of the installer components asks for the default location for CONTENT, instead it/they automatically put all new CONTENT in my %%\\User folders. This cannot happen, as I use separate HD's for *ALL* content no matter what program it is for. So I apparently have missing content (like ALL of it!) and non functioning CMS as I immediately remove ALL references to CONTENT from the User folder system. I will not abide use of the User folder system for any content for any software.

SO.

How do I make D:\3D Work DS CONTENT the default base location for ALL DS content?

A second issue: I do not want Studio to use any "Smart Content" system. I want Studio to use the old scheme where everything is sorted according to the Poser content type hierarchy. Where it is easy for a User (owner) to sort and manage.

Thank you.

Post edited by McGrandpa on
    edited May 2015

RAMWolff said:
    RAMWolff said:

Thanks DAZ

I'll have a look-see when I get home. I'm guessing thats part of the Surfaces Advanced tab now or is it iRay and if it's iRay what if you have more than one mask like eyelashes and hair too?

Can't find Cut Out Opacity. Is there a shader I need to apply to non iRay setups designed more for 3Delight?? If so I can't find this shader....

Found this article but it's not telling me how to apply what ever shader that is needed to reveal these aspects of iRay's surface system....

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/panes/surfaces/shaders/iray_uber_shader/shader_general_concepts/start#cutout

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

to use Iray cut out opacity, use iray uber shader,, then apply map,, I did so.

iray.JPG
    1057 x 620 - 131K
    cutout.JPG
    924 x 573 - 113K
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I'll have a look! I appreciate you taking the time.

edited December 1969

YAY.. that worked. Thank you so much!

edited December 1969

do not mind amigo !( I rememember often reply wrong answer and you confuse ^^;
    I feel good,, if I could help a little)

edited December 1969

You did. Thanks again!

CatPerson-iRay-S.jpg
    867 x 760 - 413K
  • atozedatozed Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

What's this 'free for a limited time' business all about?

00a-daz3d_daz-studio-4.8-iradium__.jpg
    350 x 455 - 46K
    edited May 2015

...said that since a later update of ver. 4.0.was released. the initial release of 4.0 Pro was priced at 495$ or something like that..

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,948
    edited May 2015

I installed DS4.8 and it looks good, thanks for update. Just one question does my older Nvidia 8600GT works with this Nvidia Iray Rendering http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/new_features/4_8/start#nvidia_iray_-_physically_based_render_engine

Here I found answer for my card though I don't know really what does it mean https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/413843/geforce-8600gt-cuda/

Also here is about CUDA info for GeForce 8500 http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8500.html
    and I have 8600GT but it doesn't say anything for CUDA http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8600.html

Post edited by MilosGulan on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    I installed DS4.8 and it looks good, thanks for update. Just one question does my older Nvidia 8600GT works with this Nvidia Iray Rendering http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/new_features/4_8/start#nvidia_iray_-_physically_based_render_engine

Here I found answer for my card though I don't know really what does it mean https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/413843/geforce-8600gt-cuda/

Also here is about CUDA info for GeForce 8500 http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8500.html
    and I have 8600GT but it doesn't say anything for CUDA http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8600.html

Basically...yes, but not enough to matter and probably not the proper drivers to take advantage of the ones it does have. That card, in computer terms is an antique and unfortunately, isn't going to be of any help when it comes to Iray.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

McGrandpa said:
    How do I make D:\3D Work DS CONTENT the default base location for ALL DS content?Configure your DAZ Install Manager to point to that for the content directory; that should get you what you need.

A second issue: I do not want Studio to use any "Smart Content" system. I want Studio to use the old scheme where everything is sorted according to the Poser content type hierarchy.

Most of the DAZ-specific content does not install in the Poser hierarchy.

That said, you don't have to use Smart Content. Just use the Content Library tab, and delete the Smart Content tab. The Poser Formats directories will have the standard 'poser' layout, and the DAZ Studio Formats will have the view that gives access to People/Genesis and People/Genesis 2 [Male/Female] as well as the Shader Presets, and other similar directories that you'd need access to.

Most of the DAZ Studio specific stuff will not show up in the Poser Format tree; it's just something to get used to.

-- Morgan