Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.0.21!

Comments

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029

I am curious tho, What improvement, where? Dose it actually make a mirror cast light onto other object, or is it somewhere else in the options tab for UE2?

I didn't ran a diff to compare per pixel values, but looking at the output, they are practically the same.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited November 2015
    wowie said:

I am curious tho, What improvement, where? Dose it actually make a mirror cast light onto other object, or is it somewhere else in the options tab for UE2?

I didn't ran a diff to compare per pixel values, but looking at the output, they are practically the same.

I figured with something that drastic in render time change, it would be "in your face" difference, like this, lol.

UE2orNot_Composit02001.jpg
    1800 x 1024 - 640K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited November 2015

I thought  ,untill I go to bed, delete my discribe, but I know you can . good night. smiley do not worry, I may not come here for a week.

Will I ?  I do not know future. why you know?  I hope to use "Will" as same as DAZ bad joke. then "will" DAZ really complete clean meta-data?

You will ?    OK,  I will check them after daz release prodcut version of ds 4.9.  then hope to remove many problem which offered by usertest. 

without it Christina or menbmer of daz support,  may cry,,. And I suggest, DAZ need to choose support member more strictly. some guys are really un-useful.

some guys like "Chrstina Garroway" only can help user.  I do not know she or he, but really helpful when I ask many question.

but some support member are  simply kill my time to reply many,about same things again and again without test by themselfs.

今後苦情を言うときは日本語でサポートに送るからね。 日本語わかる人、一人ぐらい雇っといてよ。

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

how do i get the dazstudio pro beta..i try and try all i got is the 4,8 over and over ..?

You have 'buy' the beta through the store...

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

In the immediate term it wouldn't affect you. Once there was Connect-only content - that you wanted - you would need to allow your machine to connect once to register it to your account, but after that you would be able to download the content on another machine, transfer it to the work machine and install it much as you do now. Connect does not require access for working.

So Studio holds the key for unlocking?

There is nothing 'official' in these threads to reassure me that my workflow won't be majorly impacted. If not today, then tomorrow.

Does DAZ really think I'm going to categorize my over 12,000 products? I don't use Smart Content now and DAZ can attempt to reassure me that I will still be able to do things 'much as you do now'. That 'much as' is the tell.

You can count me out.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

One thing I feel has not been sufficently explained is why DAZ connect encrypts all existing products, including the ones that are also available as unencrypted zips. What possible reason can there be for this?, since any pirate would post the zip. I would have thought that DAZ would want us to use DAZ Connect, for the improved user experience they claim it gives, plus the faster way products are updated. They say DRM products may come later, but due to this decision they are in a way put on us now, for little or no benefit for DAZ. Would it be that difficult to add an option before the beta goes live where we can install the existing products (ie the ones that are not DAZ Connect only) through DAZ Connect without encryption? I would like to try out DAZ Connect to see what benefits it give us, but I will be highly unlikely to try without this option. I would be happy if this will at least be considered. Thank you.

• We really need an offline way to work with DAZ Connect. ANd I would like to see an independant downloader as I am only on a DSL connection (though a big spender here). The abiltiy to download on the side while still using DAZ Studio is huge. This would also alleviate fears about DRM. I can probably live with moving the installation intot he app. I am also leery of the encyption. I spend a ton of money here and this is a definite added negative. I know artists are worried about stolen content, but you risk alientating those of us that actually do spend money. Wow, Poser may have a chance at survival after all. I really cannot express how disapointed I am in this direction.

• jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272
    edited November 2015
    Havos said:

One thing I feel has not been sufficently explained is why DAZ connect encrypts all existing products, including the ones that are also available as unencrypted zips. What possible reason can there be for this?, since any pirate would post the zip.

If the process worked, checking the encryption key would identify the original buyer, who would have his account immediately terminated, nipping warez at the bud.

The problem with is that Studio has exports, has DsScript and a C++ SDK. With those tools, you can write a pluging/series of scripts which traverse the information in memory (helpfully decrypted by Studio) export them into text files which, by pure coincence, are noting but the usual DUF/DSF/whatever which can then be reassembled into a totally un-watermarked product which can then be repackaged and uploaded. For this DRM scheme to work, DAZ has (no ifs, no buts) to embargo scripting and export capability to every non-authorized party (like it happens today for HD tools).

I leave to the readers the exercise to decide whether export/scripting will be removed (making in the process Studio unusable in a pipeline) or, all this story is just a ruse to force people to adopt something that stinks, a nautical mile away, of the first step to a fully "cloudy" architecture...

Post edited by jpb06t on
  • MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited November 2015
    Rogerbee said:
    Rogerbee said:
    Rogerbee said:
    Rogerbee said:
    Maybe, but, the difference is that the 20 people know what they are doing and know what they are looking for. The majority of the 10,000 don't, hence all the support tickets and "I can't find my content!" threads.

When these are generated it tells me that this method of content delivery creates more problems than it solves. The solution is not to try and fix the system that is causing the issues, the solution is to create something more usable that people can get on with and use. I always fail to understand why, when there is a system in already in place that has consistently been proven to work, the need is felt to roll out another system that doesn't do the same job as well.

Take Smart Content, we have had a Content Library since day one, it works. You rolled out Smart Content, since day one people have complained that they can't find their content. Since there is a Content Library, why was Smart Content needed!?

DIM - There was already a system in place whereby users downloaded and installed content, and it worked. You roll out the DIM, more complaints and support tickets. There was a working system already in place, why roll out another!?

Daz Connect - We have the store, we have browsers, they work! What do you think is going to happen next, yep, more complaints and more support tickets.

Please, the company needs to listen and learn as much as we do. Establish a basic core of things that work and work at keeping it that way. Stop coming up with needless gimmicks and start creating things that everyone can learn and use!

Except that in each case the change was addressing issues that users were encountering.

I have to agree with Rogerbee on this one. This beta fixes nothing for me. I just want to buy, use and download. I don't need Daz to hold my hand. I have no use for the Daz smart content system, no love for cloud anything, and I really don't need a bloody store inside my program. I have a browser for that. If you want my money, you can stay there in the browser or I won't buy here anymore. I don't need your store in my app. I open Daz to render, not to shop. If you really wanted to fix something, you could have worked on learning how to write a manual.

Post edited by Madbat on
  • wowie said:

Filed a bug report on the slow render times with UE2's indirect light mode and raycache. The answer was definitely not what I expected.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature." Edited out names.

¨Wowie, here's an official permission for you to give my alpha kit links to the dev team or whoever from DAZ will need it. My actual scripts are licenced the same as the DAZ wiki: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

The way I understand 3Delight's official changelog, though, contradicts the last statement in the screenshot. The few "enhancements" that decreased performance have always been clearly marked in there.

• JPayneJPayne Posts: 79

"NVIDIA Iray related

• Fixes made to the implementation of Sub Surface Scattering (SSS) in the NVIDIA Iray renderer affect materials which have "Translucency Weight" active—not set to 0. This manifests in skin tones appearing more blue than they do in 4.8. A quick adjustment that can be made during the BETA phase is to adjust the "SSS Reflectance Tint" from a light blue to a light yellow—R: 1.00, G: 0.88, B: 0.67. Adjust this value to your liking.
      • After the BETA phase, Daz 3D products will be updated to include this change."

I'm quite shocked at how much of an impact this change has made to shader/materials... Even following the suggested color change to the SSS reflective tint to the light yellow makes the skin look like a 2-day old corpse. Has anyone found a solution that will match what 4.8 had as a result?

wowie said:

Filed a bug report on the slow render times with UE2's indirect light mode and raycache. The answer was definitely not what I expected.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature." Edited out names.

¨Wowie, here's an official permission for you to give my alpha kit links to the dev team or whoever from DAZ will need it. My actual scripts are licenced the same as the DAZ wiki: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

The way I understand 3Delight's official changelog, though, contradicts the last statement in the screenshot. The few "enhancements" that decreased performance have always been clearly marked in there.

I tried looking for the 11 changelong and couldn't find it...but it specifcally has which ones were for performance increases.  So between the improvements listed in the 11 and 12 changelogs there should be a rather noticeable performance increase, not a decrease, with the enhancements.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited November 2015
    JPayne said:

"NVIDIA Iray related

• Fixes made to the implementation of Sub Surface Scattering (SSS) in the NVIDIA Iray renderer affect materials which have "Translucency Weight" active—not set to 0. This manifests in skin tones appearing more blue than they do in 4.8. A quick adjustment that can be made during the BETA phase is to adjust the "SSS Reflectance Tint" from a light blue to a light yellow—R: 1.00, G: 0.88, B: 0.67. Adjust this value to your liking.
      • After the BETA phase, Daz 3D products will be updated to include this change."

I'm quite shocked at how much of an impact this change has made to shader/materials... Even following the suggested color change to the SSS reflective tint to the light yellow makes the skin look like a 2-day old corpse. Has anyone found a solution that will match what 4.8 had as a result?

I read somewhere, that the fix is being rolled out; my words as I don't remember exactly what was said. I seem to remember something along the lines of having to manually change products to reverse the the fix that had been put in place. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, or tell me I'm right... That would be a nice surprise /nod.

@those expressing trepedation at the changes.

I've been voluable; I've decided to watch what happens. I don't have to buy products from Daz, and have no intentions of buying encrypted only at this stage.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • morkmork Posts: 278
    edited November 2015

There seems to be an issue with the postgreSQL database connection on linux, related to the new cloud thingy.
    It works for me for 4.8, but 4.9 throws cloud related errors in the log after reporting an established connection:

Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.4.5 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Ubuntu 4.9.2-10ubuntu13) 4.9.2, 64-bit

But further down I get lines like this:

WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(167): Unexpected exception in categoryGetRoot: Unable to connect to the database
    WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(167): Unexpected exception in needMigrate: Unable to connect to the database, can not quote
    WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(167): Unexpected exception in runNextTask-runTask: Unable to connect to the database
    Migration failed.
    WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(167): Unexpected exception in productGetAllFirstLetter: Unable to connect to the database
    WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(167): Unexpected exception in categoryGetRoot: Unable to connect to the database
    WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(167): Unexpected exception in contentGetByRelativePath: Unable to connect to the database
    A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection could not be established.  Several DAZ Studio features that require a valid PostgreSQL CMS connection, such as context aware content views and loading content installed using cloud services, will not be available.  Check your network, anti-virus, and firewall settings for conflicts.

If I'd need to blindly guess I'd say it is not using the ConnectionURI defined in cmscfg.json.
    Would be cool if someone could look into it. Thank you! :)

Edit: filed a bug report.

Edit2: Support closed my ticket and told me that linux is not supported...

Post edited by mork on
  • Are advanced features of DIM like "order::" going to make it over to DAZ Connect?

• artoirartoir Posts: 65
    sriesch said:
    artoir said:

.... My biggest confusion is I now have a "lost and found" folder, all the icons of my products have a cloud on them and when I double click them it takes me into two new windows with pretty much the same info, and when I save a scene I just worked on for three hours, I cannot find where it went! (it used to go to my "unassigned" folder because I had never catagorized). ...

Is your saved scene not going somewhere into the "lost and found" folder or a subfolder within it?

No, all that's in the "Lost and Found" folder is a few random props and products. I don't get it.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited November 2015
    argel1200 said:

We really need an offline way to work with DAZ Connect. ANd I would like to see an independant downloader as I am only on a DSL connection (though a big spender here). The abiltiy to download on the side while still using DAZ Studio is huge. This would also alleviate fears about DRM. I can probably live with moving the installation intot he app. I am also leery of the encyption. I spend a ton of money here and this is a definite added negative. I know artists are worried about stolen content, but you risk alientating those of us that actually do spend money. Wow, Poser may have a chance at survival after all. I really cannot express how disapointed I am in this direction.

What part of DAZ connect prevents you from working at the same time? I've been doing it since the thing was released. It has in no way affected my use of the software.

Frankly, for me the new Smart Content display (though it does seem a little wonky at times) is an enormous upgrade, not only over the original Smart Content but over the whole folder/tree structure.

For the first time I can see every piece of a product that I bought, all in the same place.

THANK YOU!

Now... on to the consistency of meta-data, please.

Post edited by evilded777 on
  • AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

Hi namffuak

namffuak said:
    AndyS said:

Hi,

Did you take into account, that PostgrSQL don't work under the most common security software (Antivirus / Firewall)?

Did you rework the incompatibilities?

Rob's note on ZA and PostgreS is here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/flag/comment/593430/17150/rbtwhiz/L2Rpc2N1c3Npb24vY29tbWVudC81OTM0MzAvI0NvbW1lbnRfNTkzNDMw - and as far as I can determine, the issue goes back several years.

sorry, but your link only presents a white page.

And yes I know, it is some older.

Already with 4.7 I've had these issues. DIM automatically installed PostgrSQL. As a result DAZ took 10 minutes while starting up to state, that PostgrSQL crashed.

After completely banning PostgrSQL from my computer everything worked fine again.
    And please see the hundreds of posts in this forum about the issues related to CMS and PostgrSQL. There are valuable reasons !!!

But if you know, what to do about it, please give a detailed description.

What channel has to be opened in ZA and how to do?

• argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757
    edited November 2015
    argel1200 said:

We really need an offline way to work with DAZ Connect. ANd I would like to see an independant downloader as I am only on a DSL connection (though a big spender here). The abiltiy to download on the side while still using DAZ Studio is huge. This would also alleviate fears about DRM. I can probably live with moving the installation intot he app. I am also leery of the encyption. I spend a ton of money here and this is a definite added negative. I know artists are worried about stolen content, but you risk alientating those of us that actually do spend money. Wow, Poser may have a chance at survival after all. I really cannot express how disapointed I am in this direction.

What part of DAZ connect prevents you from working at the same time? I've been doing it since the thing was released. It has in no way affected my use of the software.

Frankly, for me the new Smart Content display (though it does seem a little wonky at times) is an enormous upgrade, not only over the original Smart Content but over the whole folder/tree structure.

For the first time I can see every piece of a product that I bought, all in the same place.

THANK YOU!

That sounds promising then! If you e.g. have a G3F figure selected will it show you hair for G2F in addiiton to G3F?

Post edited by argel1200 on
  • DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817
    argel1200 said:
    argel1200 said:

THANK YOU!

That sounds promising then! If you e.g. have a G3F figure selected will it show you hair for G2F in addiiton to G3F?

A new checkbox should be there at the bottom of the smart content pane to let you have smart content not filter content based on the current scene selection. It isn't a perfect solution but it will let you see all of your content so you could pick items that you know are compatible.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2015

I can't read this whole pile, can someone tell me this:

I don't use smart content or categories. I'm old school, i manually sort stuff into folders I want.  Will all my stuff stay where it is, how it is with 4.8? or is this new data system and organization required. If it's only the DB I don't think I care, I just don't want my content shuffling around.

I don't use dim and have no interest in any system like that. For as long as I recall daz studio always had a login in option, is that now required or something? 

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • I can't read this whole pile, can someone tell me this:

I don't use smart content or categories. I'm old school, i manually sort stuff into folders I want.  Will all my stuff stay where it is, how it is with 4.8? or is this new data system and organization required. If it's only the DB I don't think I care, I just don't want my content shuffling around.

I don't use dim and have no interest in any system like that. For as long as I recall daz studio always had a login in option, is that now required or something? 

Yes, your files wills tay put. No, you don't have to be logged in (even if you do use the Connect system) to work. However, if and when there is content that is Connect-only you won't be able to use that - but your existing, and currently forthcoming, content is not going to change (unless and until almost everyone abandons DIM, at least).

• argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757
    edited November 2015
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    argel1200 said:

A new checkbox should be there at the bottom of the smart content pane to let you have smart content not filter content based on the current scene selection. It isn't a perfect solution but it will let you see all of your content so you could pick items that you know are compatible.

While I am at it, will it be possible to turn off auotamtic smart matching? I have so much content that it can be very painful when I happen to be on All (in DS 4.8) and then have to wait for everythign to be populated. The option to have to click a "Populate" button would be very welcome.

I would like to see a way to relax specific requirments on what is displayed. An option to also show items that auto-fit supports would be welcome. And hair is so portable that an option to just show all hair would be welcome (i.e. let me default to all hair but have more restricted filters for the other categories).

I guess that leaves encyption as the big thorny issue. :(

Post edited by argel1200 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    AndyS said:

Hi namffuak

namffuak said:
    AndyS said:

Hi,

Did you take into account, that PostgrSQL don't work under the most common security software (Antivirus / Firewall)?

Rob's note on ZA and PostgreS is here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/flag/comment/593430/17150/rbtwhiz/L2Rpc2N1c3Npb24vY29tbWVudC81OTM0MzAvI0NvbW1lbnRfNTkzNDMw - and as far as I can determine, the issue goes back several years.

Already with 4.7 I've had these issues. DIM automatically installed PostgrSQL. As a result DAZ took 10 minutes while starting up to state, that PostgrSQL crashed.

After completely banning PostgrSQL from my computer everything worked fine again.
    And please see the hundreds of posts in this forum about the issues related to CMS and PostgrSQL. There are valuable reasons !!!

Zone Alarm has a long-standing conflict with PostgreSQL from long before Daz3D started using it.  It goe back to at least 2009, so it doesn't seem likely that they'll fix it.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

here's a question I haven't seen asked.

How will products like PoseBuilder work? You need to be able to choose the files you want to work with...

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

thanks Richard, I figured as much but my intial skimming made me cross a wire and I wasn't sure. 

AndyS said:

Hi namffuak

namffuak said:
    AndyS said:

Hi,

Zone Alarm has a long-standing conflict with PostgreSQL from long before Daz3D started using it.  It goe back to at least 2009, so it doesn't seem likely that they'll fix it.

And the vast majority of the problems were/are with the Valentina database. 

• I can't seem to get DAZ Studio Pro BETA to download when I click on the button.  I have the current DIM.  I'm using Windows 10.  Any suggestions?

• Thanks, but to be honest it is easier the organized from scratch. Trying to organize content that is already organized is a complete headache. I think its better just to use the content library and build catagories from there I could move whole folders! I wish I could move whole folders(product) from the smart content tab to my catagory of choice rather than just single files. This is taking too long and the smart content tab feels too all over the place for me to use.

Smart content tab NEEDS a "Create a Catagory from" when we right click on the product. It will certainly help.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Thanks, but to be honest it is easier the organized from scratch. Trying to organize content that is already organized is a complete headache. I think its better just to use the content library and build catagories from there I could move whole folders! I wish I could move whole folders(product) from the smart content tab to my catagory of choice rather than just single files. This is taking too long and the smart content tab feels too all over the place for me to use.

Smart content tab NEEDS a "Create a Catagory from" when we right click on the product. It will certainly help.

Isn't that what you already have in Content Library > Products?

This discussion has been closed.