It’s The End Of The World As We Know It, And I Feel Fine!

Comments

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

I'm wondering how much of this Genesis Supersuit I need to actually texture and how much I can do with shaders.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm wondering how much of this Genesis Supersuit I need to actually texture and how much I can do with shaders.
    What you going for and which sets (shaders) did you spring for?
    edited December 1969

Don't want to say what effect I'm looking for, but there will be a certain amount of glowing! I've got the sci-fi pack, fantasy pack, superhero pack and I got the hardcore utility shaders when they first came out because they were ultra-cheap! Got the other packs over time because I couldn't afford to get the pro pack all in one go.

So far I've only used the presets though. Haven't dabbled with the mat zones and such except when I made my own textures. And to be honest I didn't like my textures for this project much anyway!

edited September 2012

If your good with LONG render times you could use Uber Area on the glow parts for that glow. And then you might not need to make a full texture, just the parts you really want to customize.

EDIT: Uber Area comes with DS you know?

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

OWW!! Just moved very wrong. LARGE PAIN in shoulders now. I'm done, need meds and bed. See y'all much later. I hate when this happens.

edited September 2012

Jaderail said:
    If your good with LONG render times you could use Uber Area on the glow parts for that glow. And then you might not need to make a full texture, just the parts you really want to customize.

EDIT: Uber Area comes with DS you know?

Ohhhhhhhh bloomin' heck, now I've got another new toy? What's Uber Area?

{edit} - I don't mind long render times on a final shot. Long render times on test renders I won't handle well!

Post edited by BlumBlumShub on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    OWW!! Just moved very wrong. LARGE PAIN in shoulders now. I'm done, need meds and bed. See y'all much later. I hate when this happens.

Sorry to hear that, Jeff.

Had a great day so far. Thought we needed two nice shiny tyres on the car but we found out we only needed one, so we spent the money we saved by having a lovely lunch out!

Got this month's 3D Artist, which has some .obj models and tutorials which might be useful.

Now I'm installing some shaders and going to enjoy myself playing with them.

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

I've been holding off on Genesis/V5/M5 stuff until Carrara 8.5 is FINALLY released, which is something DAZ should hurry up and do already! lol

edited September 2012

I'm up and moving okay. Meded and shaky as all get out. Going to try to cook a nice dinner so I go to bed with a happy tummy tonight.

P.S. Did not know about the Uber Area light thing in 4.4P. I have not used it yet in 4.5.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I'm up and moving okay. Meded and shaky as all get out. Going to try to cook a nice dinner so I go to bed with a happy tummy tonight.

P.S. Did not know about the Uber Area light thing in 4.4P. I have not used it yet in 4.5.

Yeah, I didn't realise about that either. Not sure what the whole product is about, but I do want to play with these things!
    edited December 1969

I used the Uber Area light in DS3A a few times. It basicly turns part/parts of items into light sources. You can select any material zone and use it as a light. I turned computer screens into light sources, they looked like the real thing. Tossing light from the screen onto the user like the real thing does. Very handy but Render time ramp way up For good shadow settings from the Area light.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I used the Uber Area light in DS3A a few times. It basicly turns part/parts of items into light sources. You can select any material zone and use it as a light. I turned computer screens into light sources, they looked like the real thing. Tossing light from the screen onto the user like the real thing does. Very handy but Render time ramp way up For good shadow settings from the Area light.

Ah I see. Well I'm not sure I need that anyway, but it MIGHT have been handy, in a weird and wonderful way. You'll see what I mean fairly shortly. I'm now not even sure I'm using the Genesis Bodysuit! Found something rather cool I forgot I had.

I'm not sure what's going on with me! Maybe I'm growing up in the 3D world, I don't know, but I'm going through all the stuff I've bought and I keep thinking "Nah, not installing that, it's just more skimpy crap for V4."

Bearing in mind just how much I've spent on that kind of item, I should go to a corner and cry! I'm installing all my fantasy and sci-fi stuff though. Really looking forward to putting the Mil Dragon and Subdragon through their paces, and maybe V4 can cast a few spells at him!

edited December 1969

Very happy to hear your getting back in the swing. I'm still slowly getting my grove back after a very long dry spell. That was just an example use for Uber Area. I also used it to make a shield and sword glow with magic and some Sci-Fi suits have real lights instead of just glows in the details. It can be used many ways.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Very happy to hear your getting back in the swing. I'm still slowly getting my grove back after a very long dry spell. That was just an example use for Uber Area. I also used it to make a shield and sword glow with magic and some Sci-Fi suits have real lights instead of just glows in the details. It can be used many ways.

The swing is getting back into me, not sure I'm getting back into the swing!

I kind of found what I need, and I even found a helmet I like the look of, in fact it's part of the same item. Now maybe I can do some posing and such.

edited December 1969

I just found a TUT on converting Gen4 items like hair to Genesis. I'm thinking of trying it on my Jade to see if I can get the hair to fit properly. I'm tempted to test my Total Hair Control files in 4.5. I could get lucky, lots of my script files run so far.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I just found a TUT on converting Gen4 items like hair to Genesis. I'm thinking of trying it on my Jade to see if I can get the hair to fit properly. I'm tempted to test my Total Hair Control files in 4.5. I could get lucky, lots of my script files run so far.

Total Hair Control? Oh now THAT I've got to have a look at!
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Total Hair Control? Oh now THAT I've got to have a look at! Here you go http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/totalhairctrl/69913
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Jaderail said:

Total Hair Control? Oh now THAT I've got to have a look at!
    Here you go http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/totalhairctrl/69913
    Wow, that looks very cool.

Let me know if it works? If so I'll be having that one!

edited December 1969

Just tested in DS4.5Pro Works fine Except you have to use the Translate controls in Parameters the Handles do not work for me. Still very useful and easy to use.

edited September 2012

Jaderail said:
    Just tested in DS4.5Pro Works fine Except you have to use the Translate controls in Parameters the Handles do not work for me. Still very useful and easy to use.

I was kind of hoping to be able to use the handles, but I guess so long as it's still usable I should just suck it up and get it!

I did ask the creator (not God) about whether it works on DS4.5 but no response as yet.

I must admit, if I had one wish for DS it's the inclusion of dynamic hair.

{edit} - Ohhhhhhhh bottom-cakes! I don't know if I can afford it now. I'm going to see Dredd at the cinema this afternoon and I have the price of two domain names coming out of my bank account soon, and I just don't quite know if I can afford it! Unless I use my credit card, which is pretty much maxed out anyway. Still, I know I can get it in a couple of weeks, so all is good.

Post edited by BlumBlumShub on
  • DreamlightDreamlight Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Hey Jaderail... Gotta love your quote... "The world being too big place... ...". Couldn't agree with you more..!

Jaderail said:
    edited December 1969

It's a great quote isn't it?

Thanks for visiting, Dreamlight. Sadly, I'm the kind of person you would want to poke with a big stick, because I'm completely disorganised and go with the "trial and error" method far too often. Does it slow me down? Hell yes! But I learned quite a lot from you, especially regarding lighting, and some of what I learned gets used in every single render! Not all of it, because I'm also quite forgetful, but some of it!

Notepads and spreadsheets are my friends, I write down all kinds of crap just so I won't forget them. That's also one of the points of threads like this. I have vague recollections of writing something, and just search through the thread 'til I find it!

Hey Jaderail... Gotta love your quote... "The world being too big place... ...". Couldn't agree with you more..!

Jaderail said:
    edited September 2012

I think I snagged that quote of a Mash 4077 site. I liked it very much myself, it Rings very true.

EDIT: I have pointed this months New Users to your 5 Step Lighting guide, DreamLight. Once I become more than a part time render hobbyist I'm might take some of your courses. Like Barry I would just forget it all before I needed it right now.

edited December 1969

Oh by the by, my treatment was not super bad. I had the normal arthur arguing with the chair thing but made it for the full treatment. Then my bad thumb decided today was the perfect day to draw up into my fist and cramp up until after all the needles and bandage stuff was over. My poor wrist still smarts from that one.

So what's everyone into today? I'm still goofing around with that last Jade render.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

I got Daz clothes onto an iClone character and got her back into iClone talking and animatable!!

edited December 1969

I got Daz clothes onto an iClone character and got her back into iClone talking and animatable!!
    You always seem to keep yourself busy Wendy. I wish I had your get up and do.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Oh by the by, my treatment was not super bad. I had the normal arthur arguing with the chair thing but made it for the full treatment. Then my bad thumb decided today was the perfect day to draw up into my fist and cramp up until after all the needles and bandage stuff was over. My poor wrist still smarts from that one.

So what's everyone into today? I'm still goofing around with that last Jade render.

Glad your treatment wasn't too horrible.

Me? Well, I didn't get to see Dredd, which is a little bit disappointing as I was looking forward to it. Traffic was so bad it took me about an hour and a half to get home from taking Carole to work. Usually takes 25 minutes. So I basically didn't have time to get to the cinema for the start of the movie.

I have arranged to meet up with a fairly local friend, which is nice. It'll be our first face to face meeting, we got to know each other via a mutual friend on Facebook. Meeting her on Monday morning. It's rather odd for me to meet people, it doesn't happen often at all!

And I'm working on a render.

I'm doing what?

No, really, I'm working on a render!

In Daz Studio 4.5, using auto-fitted clothing on M5. I'm not sure what to do about the background, but I'm going to look into using... wait for it... Shader Mixer. Uh oh, new toy for me, I'm bound to break it!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I been dooing boring things for tha last couple days, making sure I have everything backed up (in duplicate) ready to migrate them to the new machine when it arrives. THen I will have the boring job of putting it all back onto a new HD. Good job I operate my runtimes from externals anyway. thye would have taken a lot more time to back up.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

totally used up all my desktop 3G broadband
    so only browsing on Android
    if I see a PA item I want, I can buy it but need to wait two days to download it, unless it is a zip.
    also bought game of thrones which needs online activation so will not be playing that, if I even can :roll:
    mostly wanted to look at the pretty graphics!
    now I have two games for my pc! the other being GTA!
    unless you count Unity and Unreal
    thought with my nice graphics, I should really play some!

edited December 1969

totally used up all my desktop 3G broadband
    so only browsing on Android
    if I see a PA item I want, I can buy it but need to wait two days to download it, unless it is a zip.
    also bought game of thrones which needs online activation so will not be playing that, if I even can :roll:
    mostly wanted to look at the pretty graphics!
    now I have two games for my pc! the other being GTA!
    unless you count Unity and Unreal
    thought with my nice graphics, I should really play some!

When you can activate it, let me know what it's like, I rather like the Game of Thrones tv series (never read the books they came from though) and am always interested in good roleplaying games.

I love reinstalling, I keep finding things that I bought ages ago and realising that they might be of some use now! Especially stuff that ISN'T skimpy! Although some of the fantasy and fae stuff is still quite skimpy.

This discussion has been closed.