Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.0.21!

Comments

• I have some thoughts about some potential solutions for those of you that want to manage your content like it's still 1995 ;)

Cute. Maybe the reason why I've been sorting my 3D files for fifteeen years is because I want to be able to FRIGGIN' FIND THEM. A few years ago when I did a fresh install of Studio, I did try Smart Content and couldn't find a damn thing. Vanity folders up the yin-yang, props buried with clothing in the People folders, and half of my content not even containing metadata at all. It was nuts.

I know we can turn off DAZ Connect at the moment, but in 18 months when the Genesis 4 female comes out and we buy Zev0's morphs and the MFD for the fourth time, Connect is apparently going to be installing it where it wants and we won't be able to move it. That's a problem.

This. 

I put off upgrading to DS4 for years because a great little utility that is still available in the store called Finder 2 was not going to be upgraded from DS3. With this great little utility called Finder 2 I was able to find, quickly and efficiently, any item in my runtime/library. Not only that, when I clicked on the found item it took me straight to the item's folder in Content Library and away I went. But not with DS4. There I was, back to hunting around and not finding what I wanted. So came the huge reorganisation of all my stuff, and there was s#%tloads of it. But finally I could find stuff again and with a great little external database called Everything, I have been as happy as a pig in poo. Please don't make the pig an unhappy, angry pig...it's not a pretty sight. 

• So what you are telling me, with DAZ Connect, I'm going to stuck with one gigantic folder with every DAZ purchased I've made since 2007? I shudder at the thought. I can fill almost a 1Tb of data. The texture folder alone would be a bloated monster.  Am I stuck having my Giant Folder in a "network"?

I am not computer savvy, I didn't understand Smart Content so I don't use it, plus I didn't want to mix my character folders with Scenes and settings. Besides the files were just too messy and all over the place. I do use the Content Downloader which downloads to a temp folder, then I inspect the folder names and place it where I want. I don't mind the DAZ Connect if I can choose where it will download in my computer. I have an external harddrive just for content. I dislike using my "network" on windows 8, since I have no clue where it is physically.

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

So no word on whether Daz connect will ever work with Carrara (ditto on Genesis 3).

how then will Carrara users access updates to products we've already purchased? I'm assuming the same level of service as other customers for these products at least?

• DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096

So what you are telling me, with DAZ Connect, I'm going to stuck with one gigantic folder with every DAZ purchased I've made since 2007? I shudder at the thought. I can fill almost a 1Tb of data. The texture folder alone would be a bloated monster.  Am I stuck having my Giant Folder in a "network"?

I am not computer savvy, I didn't understand Smart Content so I don't use it, plus I didn't want to mix my character folders with Scenes and settings. Besides the files were just too messy and all over the place. I do use the Content Downloader which downloads to a temp folder, then I inspect the folder names and place it where I want. I don't mind the DAZ Connect if I can choose where it will download in my computer. I have an external harddrive just for content. I dislike using my "network" on windows 8, since I have no clue where it is physically.

The fix for that is to remove the default content mapping, and give it only the spaces you want content installed. I have exactly one content location mapped for Studio, and everyone seems to be respecting it thus far.

As for putting things in various places, I got tired of having six different Aiko 3 /V4 folders, so I parsed them out to Generation 3, Generation 4, Genesis, Genesis 2, etc, and stuck the stuff for various figures in there. It's worked for me thus far, at least. I'll not be happy if I have to go back to several entries for Aiko 3 because someone ten years ago didn't name directories according to a standard.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,303
    atticanne said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    Leana said:

The ... Formats sections won't show Connect content, though you can place a loader script (or, if I understood DAZ_Jon in a previous post, a shortcut) in them. The Products and Categories sections will show the Connect content.

So basically we will have to use the categories or smart content to use it, no way to use the good old "file system" library. Well I'm definitely not happy about that.

DAZ_Rawb said:

I have some thoughts about some potential solutions for those of you that want to manage your content like it's still 1995 ;) , I'll discuss it with the development team and see what their thoughts are and if it could be something we include either in this release or a future release.

While I honestly believe that managing your content through the DB is the way to go for things such as being able to have content in multiple locations and being able to rename that content without breaking anything that might depend on it. I still understand that some of you may take more time and/or don't want to have to manually add all of that third party content into the db so we will see if we can figure something out.

I know this has been a long, frustrating day for you.  There is no need to be snarky or condescending with your comment.  I didn't even own a computer in 1995.

Apple abandoned DRM in 2009, so we could argue that DAZ are still living in 2009, not as bad as 1995 maybe, but they are still living in the past.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458

I'm not sure if there's any point in posting my opinions...  I'm not as angry as the time we paid for DAZ 4 Pro to then see it given away less than 6 months later, but there are things I find hard to swallow.

DRM protection?  I don't actually have a problem with it in principle, so long as the reality does not hinder my workflow.

Cloud-based delivery of purchases?  I can live with that.  I actually work very will with DIM - so if it was simply a case of DIM being integrated into DAZ Studio itself, that would be just fine by me.

But a system that will not let me customize locations of installed content?  Are you kidding me?  Seriously, your advice is that we "get with it" and become librarians to manually add our own smart content data just so we can find something - except that smart content will always screw up... A L W A Y S... which is why I will never use smart content through choice... which is why we needed to customize our content folders in the first place - just so we can actually find things when we need them.

But change is inevitable, even if it's a hinderance rather than an improvement for many loyal customers, it will still be happening... and I appreciate the efforts of the DAZ forum staff in trying to reply to evrything as if it's a positive despite it being clear that some of it is not.

Question:  What can you do to keep me as a customer?

Answer:  Implement a way for me to be able to click on a thumbnail in my normal content library that will load the new encrypted content i.e. give me a shortcut or whatever it needs to be that simply looks like the normal icons that loads the purchased item when I click on it (in my content library tab, not jerking around in the smart content tab)...  If this was implemented as a shortcut, we could simply move the shortcut to a custom location if we wanted to, which is what most of us vets are looking for (well, that and easy to find texture folders for customization, but if I understand correctly from several posts that this side of things won't actually change).

I'm an artist, not a librarian.  If I wanted to spend my time buried in categorizing assets and praying that smart content doesn't bork on us after weeks of work, then I'm sure your advice is spot-on... but I would much rather spend my time creating art instead - and all I need to do that is as mentioned above - implement some sort of way to see DAZ Connect purchases via the Content Library tab that I can sit next to my existing content.

Of course, that all having been said, if the content that is sold exclusively via DAZ Connect is so amazingly kickass, then suddenly I'll become a convert... but I'm talking some serious improvements i.e. movie-quality stuff, not just a tweak here and there.  Until then, I'll stick to DIM, so I suppose it boils down to how quickly the transition to exclusive items via DAZ Connect takes place.

I want to be a believer, but I'm nervous about what's happeing and don't exactly trust that this has anything to do with improving the customer experience.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    lee_lhs said:
    RAMWolff said:

When the program imports all the meta data from your previous version I would THINK that the cloud icons to download from within DS would be disabled on the products you have installed already. 

Ah... no, actually the cloud will still show, though the icon is not greyed, but colored. Check out M4 and Genesis? They were downlded with DIM, and their Metadata was redownloaded through DAZ Connect. They still have the cloud icon. Scott, downloaded with 4.9, doesn't have the icon.

Ah, OK, thanks so much for explaining that to me! 

• Havos said:

But on this one I've got to say the devs went above and beyond to put together a solution that means the content I make is actually protected. No one has done that for me before.

Thank you, developers. I always have and always will look at each of you as super hero magic makers. <3

A very happy content creator,

~Charlene

Bluebird 3D

I can symphasise with what you are thinking, as I am also a digital content creator. However, if you think this is going to stop piracy, then you will be disappointed. In fact, it might make it worse, since a pirated version would actually be more desirable to some since it will be human readable. Just look at the music industry and mp3 players, they tried this route that DAZ are proposing, but they realised that it does not work, so abandoned the idea.

.... :-)   i write from Italy .... 2015 was the best period of my Daz addiction, I was liking this program since I was discovering it (per coincidence) some years ago (was the age of Vicky 4.2 I think). now I am 61 y.o.  and still I like to learn things about 3d content. What I was never liking during my 30 years of work experience with computers? Those puritan fights against innovations and upgrades (doesn't matter if concerning hardware or software).... BUT this last Daz release sounds to me like a funeral bell for the future of this people, Please DAZ team  go back to reason and PLEASE don't mask this "upgrade" anti piracy like a benefit for users. My best wishes to all, but today, really, everything looks sad (and also pathetically puritan) in this Daz thing.

Looking at the worst multinational behaviour (like Apple, Sony, RCA etc.) it's not a welcome for us old and new users. We can survive good also without DAz3d in the next. Bye.

• WitchStormWitchStorm Posts: 186
    edited October 2015
    gregbo said:

I am one of "those" silent customers who read the message boards but never post. This once, I feel the need to voice my stance as an ongoing active customer who (like many others) has invested a great deal of money into the products DAZ and its PAs create. Being my first (and perhaps only) post, I want to be as direct and clear as possible... If you go forward with DRM encryption, I will never spend one more dime with your company. Not one.

I fully understand the frustration piracy is and its effects. I, too, work in an industry in which digital goods are a primary source of income. However, as others have mentioned, it has been proven repeatedly that DRM has little effect on and often attracts pirates (for the challenge). Also, DRM-Strangling your legitimate customers causes ill-will, frustration, and creates more pirates than it deters. Your customers are practically grabbing you by the shoulders and shaking you saying "WE DON'T WANT THIS". Listen to your customers. If you don't, trying to regain the customers you lose might prove a challenge your not up to.

If DRM encryption at DAZ becomes a reality, I will be instantly cancelling my Platinum Club membership and will not make one more purchase here.

I had dropped my PC membership some time back, do to there not being of anything of intrest at the time. I come back as a PC member and find this Studio 4.9 coming out with that DRM. When it comes out I too will drop my PC membership again. But, I won't be coming back. Sorry to say, I love my Daz, I will just have to find another place to spend my money. If we have to log in through Daz connect that uses Cloud, they will have our log in information and access to credit card info too. After all it is saved to our accounts.  Hope things works out for you all. I will stick with Daz 4.8.

Post edited by WitchStorm on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I think we need a detailed explanation of extactly what the new content structure is...

Is it just dump everything, by sku in one big folder and let the database (user or metadata/Smart Content) sort and categorize it?

Or is it some sort of immutable variation of the current structure.

What would a clean install of 4.9 on a machine that never had Studio installed on before  have as a content folder structure, with just Connect installed content on it?

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817
    Cbird said:

So no word on whether Daz connect will ever work with Carrara (ditto on Genesis 3).

how then will Carrara users access updates to products we've already purchased? I'm assuming the same level of service as other customers for these products at least?

DIM / Product Library will still work to download updated versions of any of your current content. There will be content in the future that can only be downloaded through Daz Connect (nothing planned so far), but anything that wants to retain compatibility with Carrara or other third party software will still be released with un-encrypted versions that you can download through DIM.

Jabba said:

I'm not sure if there's any point in posting my opinions...  I'm not as angry as the time we paid for DAZ 4 Pro to then see it given away less than 6 months later, but there are things I find hard to swallow.

DRM protection?  I don't actually have a problem with it in principle, so long as the reality does not hinder my workflow.

Cloud-based delivery of purchases?  I can live with that.  I actually work very will with DIM - so if it was simply a case of DIM being integrated into DAZ Studio itself, that would be just fine by me.

But a system that will not let me customize locations of installed content?  Are you kidding me?  Seriously, your advice is that we "get with it" and become librarians to manually add our own smart content data just so we can find something - except that smart content will always screw up... A L W A Y S... which is why I will never use smart content through choice... which is why we needed to customize our content folders in the first place - just so we can actually find things when we need them.

But change is inevitable, even if it's a hinderance rather than an improvement for many loyal customers, it will still be happening... and I appreciate the efforts of the DAZ forum staff in trying to reply to evrything as if it's a positive despite it being clear that some of it is not.

Question:  What can you do to keep me as a customer?

Answer:  Implement a way for me to be able to click on a thumbnail in my normal content library that will load the new encrypted content i.e. give me a shortcut or whatever it needs to be that simply looks like the normal icons that loads the purchased item when I click on it (in my content library tab, not jerking around in the smart content tab)...  If this was implemented as a shortcut, we could simply move the shortcut to a custom location if we wanted to, which is what most of us vets are looking for (well, that and easy to find texture folders for customization, but if I understand correctly from several posts that this side of things won't actually change).

I'm an artist, not a librarian.  If I wanted to spend my time buried in categorizing assets and praying that smart content doesn't bork on us after weeks of work, then I'm sure your advice is spot-on... but I would much rather spend my time creating art instead - and all I need to do that is as mentioned above - implement some sort of way to see DAZ Connect purchases via the Content Library tab that I can sit next to my existing content.

Of course, that all having been said, if the content that is sold exclusively via DAZ Connect is so amazingly kickass, then suddenly I'll become a convert... but I'm talking some serious improvements i.e. movie-quality stuff, not just a tweak here and there.  Until then, I'll stick to DIM, so I suppose it boils down to how quickly the transition to exclusive items via DAZ Connect takes place.

I want to be a believer, but I'm nervous about what's happeing and don't exactly trust that this has anything to do with improving the customer experience.

I'm not going to confirm or deny anything at this point, but a promising workaound I have tried works very close to this shortcut / symlink idea. But once again, I am neither confirming or denying that I may or may not be looking in to that thing.

mjc1016 said:

I think we need a detailed explanation of extactly what the new content structure is...

Is it just dump everything, by sku in one big folder and let the database (user or metadata/Smart Content) sort and categorize it?

Or is it some sort of immutable variation of the current structure.

What would a clean install of 4.9 on a machine that never had Studio installed on before  have as a content folder structure, with just Connect installed content on it?

If you extracted all of the zips from a product into a directroy that was named with the SKU, stash that in the data/clound subdirectory of a mapped location and you would end up with something super close to how Daz Connect stores it. 

On a clean install of 4.9, if you only install products through Daz Connect everything will end up in the data/cloud subdirectory of your mapped path.

Vhardamis said:

Question: What is this "Lost and Found" directory I have in Smart content now? It's got quite a large selction of random items in it from Cameras and lights to wardrobe, actors, and props. Are these just items that havent been flagged into the new set up? Will they be fixed and moved by D|S once they are ?

Since "Daz Connect" content isn't easily accessable though the file browser in content library we throw things in the "Lost and Found" that should be user facing and accessable but aren't listed in metadata. It's also a flag for our "Librarian" that this content needs to be properly tagged/categorized to make it accessible in smart content in sensible locations. When those files get proper smart content data they will disappear from that section.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Like I said before pick one method and stick to it...and this is actually something that I prefer (other than the possibility of duplicated texture files). It could be very well the simplest to actually manage,  if the database is completely reliable.   Because there can now be an infinite number of organization schemes and nothing will break.  But it does require a fully functioning database...

• SixDs said:

"like smelly grunting troglodytes from 1995"

Well, he didn't go quite that far, Skiriki, but yea. :)

I must say that I got quite a chuckle out of the remark when it was made. It is a not uncommon sort of retort by those reacting to objections to "new ideas" in the computer industry. Of course, this whole "Cloud" thing is not an new idea at all. It is a very old one, which is why I chuckled at the remark. I remember quite well when all data was centrally stored and accessed remotely, since terminals and even the early PCs lacked storage capacity. It was a necessity. Of course, we didn't have some shiny new marketing term to describe the concept, but it was pretty much "Cloud" storage - it didn't matter where the data was physically stored as long as you could access it. (I actually prefer the term "Fog" over "Cloud", since I believe it is more accurate) However, as PCs gained ever-larger hard drives, the paradigm shifted, with much data being stored locally on each computer. By the magical 1995, the transition to local storage was largely complete. Today, with local storage capacities exceeding by leaps and bounds what sysadmins could even imagine back in the day, the need for remote storage is less than it ever was. Still, you pays your money and takes your choice. For those who think that I'll be better off embracing the new old paradigm, thank you very much for thinking of me, but I'll keep my local drives and organize my data the way I like so I know exactly where it is. It works for me. If that means I'm stuck in 1995, well, better that than being stuck in 1985 and pretending you're not.

please I think I will borrow your sentence about cloud-storage (FOG-STORAGE!) for a meeting at work next week. Thanks a lot.

100% agree with you, kisses from Italy,  Key.

• DAZ, this is NOT acceptable. 

I use your content in everything but DAZ Studio.  I mostly use Carrara, Vue and Modo.  I even use Poser once in a while.  If you limit the content you sell to just DAZ Studio via DRM, I have no reason to buy anything here ever again.

I also like to be in control of my content's organization so that I can use it effectively across several applications.  I have my own content management system involving a structure that suits MY workflow managed by a bunch of scripts on my private Linux server.  It works very well for me and I'm not about to give it up.

If you want to effectively own my content after I pay for it, you can forget it.  You keep your content nice and safe in your store and I'll keep my money in my wallet.

• jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272

Let's imagine this scenario: I have an encrypted DRMed Genesis 4 for Studio Alcatraz version (aka DS 5).

What does prevent me from writing a script which exports the base mesh, then for each morph dials it, exporting the modified mesh and then another script that imports the lot and creates a cracked Genesis 4? I used the morph example but with scripting and the SDK I can do the whole thing (bones, weight maps... even the kitchen sink).

For this DRM scheme to work  it is mandatory that DAZ removes all exports and embargoes the SDK availabily to anybody who is not a DAZ PA. So the options are either: 

1-a DRM scheme which aggravates legitimate users and delays crackers only for the time it takes them to stop laughing at DAZ or...

2-an ADX Florence supermax ('muricans know what I am talking about) which makes impossible for people to use Studio in a pipeline.

Any comments? 

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    DAZ_Jon said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:

My biggest issue is that I am working in Iraq and my internet is barely above dialup and prone to yo-yo'ing up and down at any give time. Going to a cloud based system for new purchases is something that will make things extremely difficult or impossible. When it took me 3 hours to download the esential setup for G2 and has taken me anywhere from 35 minutes to over an hour to download a file that is in the 80mb to 120mb range, this will will take unacceptable amounts of time to work this way. What options are goint to be made available for myself and others that have less than high speed connections? 

With the default online mode for Daz Connect it should probably give you a better shot at good downloads because the packages are split into individual file downloads so it is easier to resume and complete smaller files. If you sometimes have access to a higher speed connection then downloading the offline packages (which are still a work in progress) would be an option, then you can just bring them back to your computer with Daz Studio on it.

Unfortunately that is not an option here, I work with secure systems that do not allow the use of usb drives or unauthorized CD's for reasons that you can imagine are pretty obvious. The personal internet is not fast enough to allow streaming skype video,most of the time. I realize that a big part of this is to stop the torrent sites and pirates from stealing from the PA's which I think is great, but it is at the expense of artist that modify thier libraries to create a better workflow, people who have poor or limited internet connection, or for those that keep thier render machines off the net. Were these issues considered when developing this "cloud" approach? And with this age of hacking what steps are going to be taken to prevent malicious persons from doing what they seem to do best? 

You do not need to be online to use your content. You only need to be online to download content, either new or updates, or to use the in application purchase functionality. Of course you needed to be online to download content or purchase content before 4.9, that aspect has not really changed. The difference is that now you will only have to download those parts of a product that have been updated, or failed to properly download when you were on before.  

OK Spooky, you are not really answering my question at all. You keep telling me I don't need to be online to use my content, and I am asking about this cloud feature being hacked and our PPI being stollen from either your end or ours. Not all of us have lightning fast internet where we can download content in mere seconds. It takes me on average an hour or more to download a file via DIM or zip download, and we have all seen the news where secure servers maintained by the US Government as well as SONY, Apple and others. How well is your server security compared to theirs? That is what I am asking.

Daz Connect uses https based communication in order to login and fetch metadata from the servers. Those servers commuicate to our main store servers through a second set of https connections. We have a fully PCI compliant datacenter infrastructure setup at a secure remote location and have not had any leaks or hacks to our site.

YET! Using that as a shield is an invite for disaster. No I am not a doomsayer I am a realist. I work with secure computers all day long and I have seen hackers at work first hand, recently in fact. I am sure that SONY thought they were hack proof and look what happened to them. I am very leary of anything that has me buy something and I get no phyical copy and have to log online to use it. Call me a product of a Law Enforcement / Security background. I like to see facts and put my hands on things to verify. Putting a downloaded file that I don't have to go back online to claim again and again is not ownership, its a rental and at anytime that can be taken away. I have several products that are no longer sold because f either copyright or the PA is no longer at DAZ. What happens to our purchased items then?

It is literally the same level of security, backup-ability, "having an actual copy", or however you want to phrase it as if you downloaded it from the store directly or in Install Manager. The only difference is the authentication which happens automatically if you're online, or requires an offline auth file you can download and store indefinitely. 

In regards to systems security, that is a completely different topic than asset ownership. We don't claim to be hackproof, just we do everything we can within our resources to protect against it. 

You are correct that is two different issues. The first one which is Security is still going to be a very serious issue to me, As long as this 'daz connect' is going to be a no go for me. Not only for the security aspect but also because I will no longer be able to use purchased content anywhere other than this program, which will lock me into using studio, even in the unlikely event that Poser begins to offer Genesis 2 & 3 compatability. How will this be addressed? 

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020

This encryption... Is this going to prevent us from being able to modify the content? Is it going to lock us out of the ability to save out independent versions of it for our own personal use? (I often re-save items independently which I modify (I modify almost everything I render), it prevents me destroying the original and I can completely change the base shape or even the topology. I also like to re-save things separate when making them natively fit a different figure or when changing the rigging, not to mention fix content that imo could use improvements). Are we still going to be able to view and modify content in notepad? Is everything doomed to be DS only unless Daz Studio has a bridge to the software we use? and finally... What is the point of having these bought "assets" if we cant modify them or even use them outside DS? come the inevitable time you daz_people decide we wont support DIM any longer nor provide unencrypted zips.

Its fine to say all this is to help prevent the piracy, but all this is doing is hurting the good honest people, while the pirates will just crack it and continue doing what they do.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Well... after reading a lot of posts on the subject of DAZ Connect, I'm feeling much better about 4.9. My initial fear was about DAZ pushing ad content within the application. Doesn't look like that is going to happen.

But I do have another concern. I don't have a super fast connection, (DSL with only 1.5mbps down,) so I like/need the ability to pause my downloads, in order to do something else, like open a webpage, or download my email. I can do that with DIM. Will I be able to pause the product download(s) through DAZ Connect if I need the bandwidth for something else?

Totally unrelated to DAZ Connect, I was wondering if 4.9 will resolve the issue I had recently where saving a figure/prop support asset put that G2F figure's morphs into every G2F figure I used from that point on. While ticket #201577 is considered Solved, the solution was to delete the saved asset and the morphs it stored in the directory where I save my own presets and such, C:\Users\Admin\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library.

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249

DAZ spookey, I feel,,  you and DAZ team not understand why basic or new customer get trouble.indecision

it is simple.  because all luck of clear  step by step kind  document about current DS version.

eg file structure and file type.   it is really important to play with DS and content.

you everytime migrate old and new  document.    DAZ can not organize document well.  

All Content sold at Daz 3D has, as part of the readme, a file list which shows where things are. The link to the readme is right in the DIM interface. 

You can determine through DIM where, exactly, each piece of content you installed actually got installed. The DIM capability is documented right in the interface and is simple to find. 

Since this is still the primary customer service ticket submitted, documentation did not provided the solution and the issue needed to be further addressed. 

I feel I have to comment on this as I agree with the OP regarding Daz not organising content well and it really annoys me as it doesn't match with standards for other things Daz do so well.  I've bought tons of content to use over the years. Yes, the readme info is online but it's essentially hidden because if you are not using DIM , or hadn't thought to look there, you wouldn't know it exists - there is no reference to the readme file on the product page where it should be (and also sometimes you want to see the readme to perhaps clarify a question before buying - the vendor may have extra info there you need not on the store page. I've found that a few times, so DIM doesn't even come into the picture in that scenario) .

All it needs is a line of text on each product page saying "..you can find the readme by searching with the product code in the readme section here....link..." or something to that effect. I've been a user since version 1. something and it took me a long time before I realized that readmes were actually here on Daz in the Docoumentation section. I can't be the only one. And now that they are not included in the product files, even more reason to have that link on the product page. The user shouldn't be expected to have to hunt down readme information - access should be obvious and easy.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

As I positively hate THE CLOUD and any kind of online activation (bad customer experience), I will stay with DAZ4.8, buy my zipped content as long as this is possible, and then I'm gone as a DAZ customer.

As for the DRM, I'm a publisher, I sell Ebooks, I decided against DRM, as the stuff is pirated anyway and DRM only aggrevates paying customers. DAZ should reconsider.

• edited October 2015

I keep reading the questions that pop up here and the answers given. Daz peeps, you can pimp up 4.9 with road spinners and gold-plated bumpers all you like, it really shows that many people won't get in the car. You keep advertising all the "great" improvements you've made to the thing, the fact remains that there is ONE feature people don't want in the very vast majority: Daz Connect. Are you trying to design your own little orwellian dystopia? If this is the only way you found to keep your customers from using your content inside anythingf else than DS, it's wrong. I would expect that from Apple, but you? Listen to us, the plebeians. We like the stuff you sell, we REALLY do. We simply don't like the idea of buying and using with a gun to our face.

A friend of mine once explained to me his views on Apple. It went like this: "Imagine Apple is Ikea. You go to Ikea's and buy a nice swedish armchair, the Glïkünblükht. You bring the crate home, you build the thing, it looks great and comfy. Only now, before you can sit, you need to phone Ikea for their blessing. Also, the label on the crate states that you are to put that chair where you're being told to, not where you'd like to."

It's ridiculous, it's invasive and makes the customer unhappy. The chair being beautifully painted with the most sophisiticated blend of swedish paints won't change the fact that' you're getting shafted. Period.

Post edited by second_technician_rimmer_9571136c47 on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

Havos said:

Apple abandoned DRM in 2009, so we could argue that DAZ are still living in 2009, not as bad as 1995 maybe, but they are still living in the past.

I just can't leave this unchallenged.  I invite you to try and copy an app from your iPhone to someone else's iPhone, and then talk to me about how Apple 'abandoned' DRM.  They made DRM so slick you don't even notice it anymore, but Apple's entire downloadable app business is built on on a bedrock of STRONG DRM.

If DAZ can make encrypted content at rest on my system even half as slick and transparent as that, then heck yeah, it'll be fine.

--  Morgan

• OK! I'm old. I was computer savvy back in the DOS days, but I'm barely past a rookie these days. What settings in Avast do I have to change in order to be able to allow the postgreSQL to run? It says it's quarantined, but the last quarantine date on my computer is from 2014.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409
    edited October 2015

I remember the days, when our one and only Computer was as big as a whole room and needed to be fed with cards where we had to punch holes for information .. Then came DOS ... Then came WINDOWS ... Have tried UNIX, LINUX, BEOS, everything. There has still to be developed a system and a program which is really, really safe.  There will never be one ... So-called safe system were either safe because they were so obscure that nobody cared to crack them, or they were safe for ... hours ... days ... some even for months ... but none was safe in the long run.

So, you can't get a safe system, as long as people from the outside are able to reach the system, or as long as people from the inside can reacht the outside world.

So you never will be able to create a safe DRM in the long run.

You just get angry customers.

Post edited by cherpenbeck on
  • mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 546
    edited October 2015

This encryption... Is this going to prevent us from being able to modify the content? Is it going to lock us out of the ability to save out independent versions of it for our own personal use?

No, the license for using everything is the same, this is just to make it a little more difficult to redistribute the files in an easy way, if all people that buy content would keep it to themself and not redistribute it this would not happen, it's pretty understandable that DAZ want to minimize this as much as possible (se quote from FAQ below).

You have everything available in DS just as before you can export to OBJ, save objects to DUF files and so on, no difference at all, and you do not have to use DAZ Connect if you don't want.

Note: Carrara and DSON (Poser) will not work with Connect.

Will my saved scenes also be encrypted?

No, your saved scenes are not encrypted—you can continue to share them if you like. Scene files do not actually contain assets—they contain references to the assets. In order to load a scene, you need the assets to be locally available.

Post edited by mikael-aronsson on
  • OK! I'm old. I was computer savvy back in the DOS days, but I'm barely past a rookie these days. What settings in Avast do I have to change in order to be able to allow the postgreSQL to run? It says it's quarantined, but the last quarantine date on my computer is from 2014.

I don't use Avast, but perhaps this guide will help you:

http://www.getavast.net/support/managing-exceptions

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

Will we still be able to buy things DIRECT from the Daz store, as we do now? Then download via DIM or DazConnect.

This discussion has been closed.