FREEBIE CHALLENGE --- September and The Leaves Are Turning

1235»

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,060

Congratulations to all the winners!  smiley 

Dana

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Congratulations to all the winners.  Well done everyone.

Now let's see what type of trick or treat you can come up with.  image

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,196

Congratulations to the winners, there were some great images this month.

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

Woo hoo! We've got winners! Congratulations to all of you for some amazing renders!  See ya'll in the October contest!

@ Chelle & Tramp:  I've sent you both a PM for your gift cards.

edited October 2015
    taemimun said:
    taemimun said:
    taemimun said:

Thank you! :D The background is Autumn Thicket - DS Creative - Issue 1 - page 33 (it comes with 3 backgrounds (image files) in the download, all very beautiful).
    Yes, it's Iray heart (used lights that come in Daz already) It's my favorite render, too bad it takes so many hours in my computer... (I urgently need to learn 3Delight) But I heard if a person has that special nividia (?) graphics card it goes very fast! (the problem is that i make it in a laptop, so it uses the processor, and it's not possible to change the graphics card, not to say its probably expensive).

I love DS Creative! They publish in the middle of the month right? I can't wait for the next one! Do you participate in the magazine? You could save them as .pdf and read in your free time (if you have any hehe). I particularly would love to have a physical copy of the magazine in hands... I find it a bit hard to read on pc :|

Oops!  I totally missed the fact that you listed the background as the first item on your freebie list -  I've got to read this lists better!  blush

I know what you mean about long render times especially with the physical based render engines.  I don't know if it is just my machine or if others are running in to the same issue, but when I use the 3Delight engine in Studio 4.8, the shadows and lights don't seem to work the same as they used to before Iray was added.  Anyway it would probably be cheaper for you to buy the Reality 4.1 plugin for DAZ (especially since it is on sale this month) than to install new processesor or buy a newcomputer.  The new version of Reality has really shortened render times compared to the original version.  You can check out their promo video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSY-YW1RVj0

That's ok :) Well, I don't know how 3Delight used to work before Iray because when I joined Daz3d my software already came with Iray... Which render do you use more/prefer? I just watched the Reality 4.1 video and I fell in love with it - WHAT is that render?! So perfect! When you buy Reality 4.1, if it gets upgraded to 4.2, for example, do you have to buy again? I would love to buy so many things in here, but I will have to wait my currency go up again (my country is going through hard times lately). Hopefully it will be better by the end of the year (I'm happy to see Daz has lots of promotions!). The time reduction from the renders was incredible! From 2 hours to less than 10 minutes is a huge improvement! I should start making a list of products I want for when they have promotions... (I think I need to have more items before getting a better render...) I think Victoria bundles are a great thing to purchase (I just wouldn't know the difference between them).

I used to use 3Delight exclusively until I purchased Reality a couple of years ago.  The folks at Preta3d.com are very good about the upgrades.  So far the incremental updates (i.e.Reality 4.0 to 4.1, etc) have all been free.  I only recently went from Reality 2 to Reality 4 which was just a lower "upgrade" price.   I've actually haven't played much with Iray yet since I'm just more comfortable with Reality but some of the test renders I've tried look promising and many of the Iray renders I've seen posted here are very impressive!   I always say, stick to what you are comfortable with and what works for you!  Great art is not about the tools but the artist!  smiley

I have to say all the Daz bundles are a great deal.  Keep them on your wishlist because they frequently go on massive sales, up to 70 to 80%.  The only difference between the bundles really is how much is included.  The higher priced bundles usually having every thing the other bundles have.  For example, usually everything in the "starter bundle" is part of the "complete bundle", and everything in the "complete bundle" is in the "pro bundle".  Of course, sometimes you just don't need or want something in a bigger bundle so you can save money for a different bundle later!  wink

Sorry for the late reply... I fell in love with Reality after watching the video... I willl definitely purchase it when I improve my skills... So many beautiful things here... What bundles you would recommend for beginners? From what I have noticed, having Victoria and Michael is very important, even because it increases the range of freebies I can use... (Is it possible to make a Genesis 2 a child without buying Kids bundle?). About Iray, I need to read more about it, there are lots of options there and I only know how to add sunlight/sky option...

Congratulations Taemimun!  Not a bad way to start your freebie contest career!  wink  Very well done indeed!

No worries about the late replies... the conversations in the forum usually span days to weeks anyway!  With regard to bundles, it is definitely a matter of personal taste and budget.  I wouldn't worry about buying a lot of stuff early on as there is so much out there both old and new to use to practice with.  Michael 4 and Victoria 4 probably do have the most freebies out there just because they have been around the longest and were, until recently, the most popular with both Poser and DAZ users.  Genesis and Genesis 2 also have a lot of freebies now and Genesis 3 characters are still a little too new but it seems to be doing well.  I haven't done much with Genesis 2 or 3 as most of my runtime collection are for M4, V4 and Genesis 1.  I know Genesis 1 has a built in Kids morph but I am not sure about Genesis 2 or 3.  

Ultimately, deciding on what bundle to invest in depends a lot on what you plan on doing.  Though M4, V4 have probably the most products on the market  both pay and free, Genesis 2 and Genesis 3 have improvements in modeling and rigging that go beyond M4 and V4.  I understand DAZ is also doing their best to make the newer generation figures including Genesis 3 backwards compatible within Studio.  That being said Autofit is not perfect and clothing items usually work best for the character it was originally designed.  Having bought a lot of bundles over the years, many of which I have not used much, I would recommend with sticking with what you like and what you are comfortable with for now.  Push what you have to the limit and then buy the stuff that you really need to do the things you can't with what you have.

I agree with Cho, you don't have to have to get Reality to get photorealistic renders as Iray is more than capable of achieving the same types of results especially on a budget.  The only benefit at this point I think is speed.  Had DAZ Studio come with Iray 2 years ago, it is very likely that I would not have purchased Reality - though now that I have it, I wouldn't give it up!  wink

Post edited by Sky77 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Congrats one and all...and have fun this month.

• selias19selias19 Posts: 252

Congratulations to all winners and HM's

Sigrid

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,948
    edited October 2015

Congratulations to the winners laugh

Post edited by MilosGulan on
  • Congrats to everyone!! laugh

Congrats to everyone!! laugh

Hi Chelle,  Check your PM if you haven't done so already.  wink

• CherubitCherubit Posts: 977
    edited October 2015

Congratulations to winners and HMs laughlaughlaugh 

It was a surprise to see the results were here today! I'm very happy!!!! (I started writiing yesterday or the day before)

I have a quick question! The daz freebies are supposed to show here on the bottom right? http://www.daz3d.com/freebies I can't see anything but the ones that come in daz already... (maybe it's my internet?)

An unbiased renderer (Octane, Iray, LuxRender)  is like a light simulator - realisim is easy, at the expense of the flexibility in a biased renderer. A biased renderer, like 3Delight, uses tricks to make rendering faster (at least if not aiming for true photorealism) and allows all sorts of cheats (objects not casting shadows, for example, or physically impossible fall-off of light intensity). Which you prefer for what is going to be a matter of taste.

Oh, I understand now, thank you for explaining! I really love the velocity that 3Delight renders everything... I always get pretty impatient when I'm rendering in Iray, and I keep looking at the screen all the time... indecision

taemimun said:
    taemimun said:
    taemimun said:

Thank you! :D The background is Autumn Thicket - DS Creative - Issue 1 - page 33 (it comes with 3 backgrounds (image files) in the download, all very beautiful).
    Yes, it's Iray heart (used lights that come in Daz already) It's my favorite render, too bad it takes so many hours in my computer... (I urgently need to learn 3Delight) But I heard if a person has that special nividia (?) graphics card it goes very fast! (the problem is that i make it in a laptop, so it uses the processor, and it's not possible to change the graphics card, not to say its probably expensive).

I love DS Creative! They publish in the middle of the month right? I can't wait for the next one! Do you participate in the magazine? You could save them as .pdf and read in your free time (if you have any hehe). I particularly would love to have a physical copy of the magazine in hands... I find it a bit hard to read on pc :|

Oops!  I totally missed the fact that you listed the background as the first item on your freebie list -  I've got to read this lists better!  blush

I know what you mean about long render times especially with the physical based render engines.  I don't know if it is just my machine or if others are running in to the same issue, but when I use the 3Delight engine in Studio 4.8, the shadows and lights don't seem to work the same as they used to before Iray was added.  Anyway it would probably be cheaper for you to buy the Reality 4.1 plugin for DAZ (especially since it is on sale this month) than to install new processesor or buy a newcomputer.  The new version of Reality has really shortened render times compared to the original version.  You can check out their promo video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSY-YW1RVj0

That's ok :) Well, I don't know how 3Delight used to work before Iray because when I joined Daz3d my software already came with Iray... Which render do you use more/prefer? I just watched the Reality 4.1 video and I fell in love with it - WHAT is that render?! So perfect! When you buy Reality 4.1, if it gets upgraded to 4.2, for example, do you have to buy again? I would love to buy so many things in here, but I will have to wait my currency go up again (my country is going through hard times lately). Hopefully it will be better by the end of the year (I'm happy to see Daz has lots of promotions!). The time reduction from the renders was incredible! From 2 hours to less than 10 minutes is a huge improvement! I should start making a list of products I want for when they have promotions... (I think I need to have more items before getting a better render...) I think Victoria bundles are a great thing to purchase (I just wouldn't know the difference between them).

I used to use 3Delight exclusively until I purchased Reality a couple of years ago.  The folks at Preta3d.com are very good about the upgrades.  So far the incremental updates (i.e.Reality 4.0 to 4.1, etc) have all been free.  I only recently went from Reality 2 to Reality 4 which was just a lower "upgrade" price.   I've actually haven't played much with Iray yet since I'm just more comfortable with Reality but some of the test renders I've tried look promising and many of the Iray renders I've seen posted here are very impressive!   I always say, stick to what you are comfortable with and what works for you!  Great art is not about the tools but the artist!  smiley

I have to say all the Daz bundles are a great deal.  Keep them on your wishlist because they frequently go on massive sales, up to 70 to 80%.  The only difference between the bundles really is how much is included.  The higher priced bundles usually having every thing the other bundles have.  For example, usually everything in the "starter bundle" is part of the "complete bundle", and everything in the "complete bundle" is in the "pro bundle".  Of course, sometimes you just don't need or want something in a bigger bundle so you can save money for a different bundle later!  wink

Sorry for the late reply... I fell in love with Reality after watching the video... I willl definitely purchase it when I improve my skills... So many beautiful things here... What bundles you would recommend for beginners? From what I have noticed, having Victoria and Michael is very important, even because it increases the range of freebies I can use... (Is it possible to make a Genesis 2 a child without buying Kids bundle?). About Iray, I need to read more about it, there are lots of options there and I only know how to add sunlight/sky option...

Congratulations Taemimun!  Not a bad way to start your freebie contest career!  wink  Very well done indeed!

No worries about the late replies... the conversations in the forum usually span days to weeks anyway!  With regard to bundles, it is definitely a matter of personal taste and budget.  I wouldn't worry about buying a lot of stuff early on as there is so much out there both old and new to use to practice with.  Michael 4 and Victoria 4 probably do have the most freebies out there just because they have been around the longest and were, until recently, the most popular with both Poser and DAZ users.  Genesis and Genesis 2 also have a lot of freebies now and Genesis 3 characters are still a little too new but it seems to be doing well.  I haven't done much with Genesis 2 or 3 as most of my runtime collection are for M4, V4 and Genesis 1.  I know Genesis 1 has a built in Kids morph but I am not sure about Genesis 2 or 3.  

Ultimately, deciding on what bundle to invest in depends a lot on what you plan on doing.  Though M4, V4 have probably the most products on the market  both pay and free, Genesis 2 and Genesis 3 have improvements in modeling and rigging that go beyond M4 and V4.  I understand DAZ is also doing their best to make the newer generation figures including Genesis 3 backwards compatible within Studio.  That being said Autofit is not perfect and clothing items usually work best for the character it was originally designed.  Having bought a lot of bundles over the years, many of which I have not used much, I would recommend with sticking with what you like and what you are comfortable with for now.  Push what you have to the limit and then buy the stuff that you really need to do the things you can't with what you have.

I agree with Cho, you don't have to have to get Reality to get photorealistic renders as Iray is more than capable of achieving the same types of results especially on a budget.  The only benefit at this point I think is speed.  Had DAZ Studio come with Iray 2 years ago, it is very likely that I would not have purchased Reality - though now that I have it, I wouldn't give it up!  wink

Thank you!!! laughlaughlaugh I got so happy, I wasn't expecting... Probably beginner's luck! Sometimes I get good renders, but most of the time they are not so good even if I try to do the same as I did with the good ones...

Michael 4 and Victoria 4 are very used yes, and many times the items for them do not work in Genesis... There is a very nice free cat woman suit in renderosity that won't load in my DS because I don't have V4, even though V4 is a character for Genesis! So why do people make items for V4, V6, V7 instead of making for Genesis, G2F, etc? Wouldn't it fit Victoria too?

Yeah, I will push ir to the limit! There are so many great freebies out there! Yesterday I modelled a cup and it worked on daz! Im so happy! I don't know how to set up surfaces and save it though, to put in freebies installation format... I would like to make it a freebie and make other stuff to put together like plates etc...

About Reality, I understand... But I will have to say that video is pretty amazing! I guess the best option is really to learn to use Iray better, in my case haha...

Post edited by Cherubit on
    taemimun said:

It was a surprise to see the results were here today! I'm very happy!!!! (I started writiing yesterday or the day before)

I have a quick question! The daz freebies are supposed to show here on the bottom right? http://www.daz3d.com/freebies I can't see anything but the ones that come in daz already... (maybe it's my internet?)

Nope it's not your internet.  Unlike what the home page states (cough), the freebies do not update daily. wink

The best way to see the available freebies is to go to the DAZ store and sort by "price: low to high".  All the freebies that are available with pop up to the front.  Of course if you have already downloaded them, nothing will show up.  If you're like me and totally OCD, you can always uncheck the "hide items I own" option and everything that is free should be visible... just to be sure the store is working of course!  cheeky

• CherubitCherubit Posts: 977
    taemimun said:

Nope it's not your internet.  Unlike what the home page states (cough), the freebies do not update daily. wink

The best way to see the available freebies is to go to the DAZ store and sort by "price: low to high".  All the freebies that are available with pop up to the front.  Of course if you have already downloaded them, nothing will show up.  If you're like me and totally OCD, you can always uncheck the "hide items I own" option and everything that is free should be visible... just to be sure the store is working of course!  cheeky

Great idea! I will do that! Thanks, I thought it was only my pc... (I was afraid I was missing it!) cheeky