Photoshop Playtime And Special Effects/ Filters

Comments

• Hey just curious to the op, what version of photoshop are you using? The version im using always gives me the error that the oil paint command cannot be done. I love the results youre getting but im having an extremely frustrating time getting them to work.

• Remember that Filter Forge can be used as a standalone.  

Painter is a great program. :)

• Im not talking about filter forge im talking about the photoshop action set that the op talked about in the beginning. I've downloaded a similar one and it gives me an error is photoshop cs5 so im wondering what version of photoshop they're using.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited September 2015

Im not talking about filter forge im talking about the photoshop action set that the op talked about in the beginning. I've downloaded a similar one and it gives me an error is photoshop cs5 so im wondering what version of photoshop they're using.

Sorry, I was responding to daveleitz.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited September 2015

Im not talking about filter forge im talking about the photoshop action set that the op talked about in the beginning. I've downloaded a similar one and it gives me an error is photoshop cs5 so im wondering what version of photoshop they're using.

Hi, welcome to the thread smiley

I have CS6  (with the CC 2015 subscription.) From what I read over at envato, the oil plug-in was removed in the CS6 version. I wasn't aware they did it in the 5 as well. Any of the ones I post in this thread will work WITHOUT the oil plug-in. I asked every single vendor before I purchased their product, and several have, since then, changed their pages to emphasize "works without oil plug-in." (Nice to have an impact, eh? That should have been posted from the beginning, as many people bought things that won't work in the newest CS6 or CC editions.) 

Which one did you buy, if I might ask?

Post edited by Novica on
    daveleitz said:

These are great images!  I don't own Photoshop, but I do like to get out my Wacom tablet and use the cloning brushes in Corel Painter to create some painterly looking images from my renders.

Would you like to share? Even though it's not Photoshop, if you'd like to show us, that would be fun. Feel free, don't mean to put you on the spot though!

Cathie

Remember that Filter Forge can be used as a standalone.  

Painter is a great program. :)

Cris, any more Filter Forge art that you've done?  Is Painter part of FF or is it a separate program?

edited September 2015

Here's a Photoshop Plug-In that I know IS available because I was at the site a minute ago, and also messaged with the vendor. (Very helpful. If I can do these, trust me, anyone can. I am SO not technical and only starting to use Photoshop. These are a fun way to learn!)  He has great videos too.

45 Popup Effects (Video) and it has a direct link to the product. I don't think I have the 30 effects one, I wanted to see if I could do this first. This is my first try, and I did not color in shadows under the antelope (darken/expand them to match the lighting of the others) but this will show you what one of the actions can do. There are FORTY FIVE. This is a flat page one. What I love, is you can select the popped item and its shadow, and drag them to wherever you want. You can have the paper missing from the book page where the item "left" and also have torn edges around where that hole is. So much fun!

Your first one, be prepared to grin when suddenly your item pops off the page- seriously! 

EDIT: Here is another video where he shows you several ways you can color/select the areas. I learned several new things- hadn't used the magnetized lasso, etc. 

And the original so you don't have to scroll back to look. (As you can tell, I hand colored out the shadow where he was standing. Nothing fancy.)  When you pick a scene, pick something that isn't overlapping other items for the best results.

antelope2WORDS.jpg
    1171 x 905 - 395K
    antelope.jpg
    1171 x 905 - 602K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2015

Oh, Taric has always been my favorite dude (LOVE Gianni) and this was so much fun! BTW, been reading how the Polygon Lasso Tool is buggy in CS6,  found this page but haven't tried it yet. I couldn't add to the selection (even choosing the second doubled squares, the icon for add to selection) it wouldn't select the additional cutout under his arm. So I left it and lined it up with the background scenery (was going to color it in, made doodle and do that.) Every time I would do the selection, it would disappear, the same problem other people said they were having. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2015

These darned drafts at the bottom are messing me up! I'll post another popup here- let's try the mermaid. It will be sometime later today (It's 5am here.)

Post edited by Novica on
  • A large percentage of "filter errors" (your current version of PS does not support yadda-yadda-yadda) can be resolved by changing the image to 8 bits instead of 32

• LyamLyam Posts: 137

Just for fun.

Too-Fast.jpg
    2560 x 1600 - 2M
    Too-Fast-Original.jpg
    2560 x 1600 - 314K
    edited September 2015

Lyam said:

Just for fun.

Nice and bright!  You did well, keeping it out of her face and she's easy to see. Thanks for sharing!

Post edited by Novica on
  • OMG I purchased that set you mentioned in your first post and it gives AMAZING results, I have a plugin to turn images into 2d art and this action set blows that out of the water I love it.

hugesword.jpg
    900 x 900 - 165K
  • Heres one I did with number 7 in the set.

cute2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 412K
  • dodgerrecordsdodgerrecords Posts: 123
    edited September 2015

this is number 2 I believe

superkick.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 737K
    Post edited by dodgerrecords on

Dodgerrecords- great examples! I think the plug-in brings out the action really well in those types of renders, but also does well with portraits. It's hard to pick a favorite action, isn't it? Yours looks quite good and I'm happy you gave it a shot. It's like magic and I was like a kid in a candy store when I got my first result. That's why I named the thread Playtime wink  Whenever you feel like it, feel free to share what you're doing. (And remember to tell folks which one you're using. This is the

Oil Paint Photoshop Action CS3 to CC2015. 

edited September 2015

I spent a couple hours watching the pop-up videos and testing the various selection tools, I found I really like the Polygon Lasso Tool the best. (It is the third one down on the vertical toolbar on your left. You'll need to click the lasso tool (looks like a rope) to open the group, then select the "crown.")  I like it because you can start and stop- when you move your hand, the line follows the mouse, but it does not create nodes like the magnetic lasso. Remember, to undo a click/segment, hit Backspace. So all you do is outline and click. If you ever need to cut something out, try that tool, I think you'll like it. 

Regarding the 45 Popup product: Through trial and error and watching 45 minutes of videos, let me breeze you through it. This assumes you know how to load the product and brushes (if not, ask.) 

For the popup, you must start with having Layer 01 made, so outline your item that you want to popup. Then go up to Layer>New>Layer Via Copy and it will create a layer and name it Layer 01. Leave it that name.  When you create the popup, be sure you have Background (not Layer 01) selected.

Assuming you've loaded the action and the brushes, all you do is hit Play then do what it tells you to do. (The first one is Stop/Select the brush (I used 20) then the next time you get paused, it's Continue (I turned the border down to 13) then it finishes running. To move the item, select the Popup 01g and 02g, then the Move Tool (the first one in the tall vertical toolbar on your left) and move the item and shadow where you want it. There are other tips in that video, but this will help you breeze right through.

When it goes through the actions, it looks cool. You'll see the torn paper, don't worry, it will disappear. (You can select it later.) 

Below is outlining using the Polygon Lasso Tool, then what you see as the action zips along, and the finished one. This was number 47, which doesn't work for the mermaid one. The paper is too curled.

mermaidTUT1.jpg
    1116 x 1188 - 217K
    mermaidTUT2.jpg
    1210 x 1999 - 332K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2018

I've posted these on my Art Studio main thread, but l'll put them here so it's easy to surf all the plug-ins. 

This is from Graphic River

Pencilogy.

Ultimate Paint Action

Cartoon Sketch Action 2

Dispersion

Hand Drawn

Mixed Media

Dust

30 Pro Photo Effects

Post edited by Novica on

Time to revive the thread as I've decided to go back and Photoshop play some more!  

I will also be linking video tutorials the vendor does, and if there's others, we can link those too. As I mentioned in my thread, I love SevenSeas as a vendor- always does great videos and gives you tips that they actually use to do their promos.  All these plug ins are linked in the videos (from SevenSeas) and I use Envato.

I posted this on my Art Studio thread, won't duplicate post, and will put the rest in this thread. It's called Hand Drawn Photoshop Plug In. I didn't do any postwork, so it can be brightened, saturated, etc to get a more intense look if you want to do that. That's just out of the box.

One post has links to all the renders that are in my other thread, so for a refresher you may want to surf those. I did find a helpful group of them- I was having trouble just moving the dust layer (or whatever effect it was) and the entire layer was moving. Here's the discussion on what to click in the Layers. (Dawnblade and L'Adair to the rescue.)  There's several posts so I linked to the first one, then just read on down. 

edited October 2019

Okay, going to continue with Hand Drawn Photoshop Action that was in my thread.  I will post the original and this tip here.

Tip: To really make a difference in the background lines, go to the layer "Strong Lines- Opacity" and right click, choose Blending Options, and you'll see it's on Multiply. Change that to Difference for bold lines, and Divide for really light ones. Fiddle with the settings to get how light and dark you want.  Multiply is default at 60 opacity, this is Difference at 80. 

I chose a file from years ago because it has a complicated background, and difficult poses to work with. (Arms extended, finger pointing, etc) 

Tip: / Reminder  Every plug in I've worked with reminds you to have a large render size. I make one side at least 2000 px and a dpi of 300. Then, it's easy to reduce them to about 800 px for the forums by simply reducing the dpi to 130, which is more than ample. 

Tip: If you want your background to have some color, reduce your brush to 20-25% opacity and brush the areas. Those areas will show a tad of detail and a tad of color. Remember, what you brush is what KEEPS detail with this plug in.  The lower half of the back wall, the stools, and tables were 20% opacity to 25%. You'll see the light blues and oranges.

This plug in also has a vignette and you can turn that off. I left it on. You can change the vignette shape by right clicking on the layer and chosing Blending Options.

I prefer to do a maximum 600 px for the in-post view, so folks on phones can see them better. (Either 600 wide or high, whichever the tallest px is)  These are 800 px.

Original with Multiply/60 opacity for Strong Lines- Opacity layer. (Default)

Now with Divide 80 opacity

Deco12thFLoorJackylineOutfitSorayaImogenV7Small ORIG.png
    804 x 867 - 972K
    Deco12th Strong LinesMULT default.png
    804 x 867 - 980K
    Deco12th Strong LinesDIFFRNC 80.png
    804 x 867 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2019

Here's some more plug ins I've been busy accruing over the past couple months from Envato. Had to take out the links as they are commercial. I'll be playing with these and showing you some of the results. 

By putting them back in a cart I could show you a handy thumbnail :)   I did read the discussions and most of the comments are positive, the other ones seem user error and not a problem with the product. You do need to read what is required though (aka I remember in the past that Oil Filter thingabobbie messing people up.)  I don't know if any of those slipped in here. I left the vendor so you can be sure you've got the right product. So many have similar names for the products.

Hologram Photoshop Action

Hologram Photoshop Action     Item by sevenstyles

Soft Focus 3 Photoshop Action

Soft Focus 3 Photoshop Action       Item by sevenstyles

Pixelator Photoshop Action

Pixelator Photoshop Action      Item by sevenstyles  This looks like the best pixel art to me, it can be very detailed which is what I'm looking for. Haven't tried it yet.

Stained Glass Photoshop Action

Stained Glass Photoshop Action      Item by IndWorks

Feathers Photoshop Action

Feathers Photoshop Action    Item by IndWorks

3-in-1 Water Reflection Photoshop Action

3-in-1 Water Reflection Photoshop Action     Item by IndWorks    This one looks so cool!

Wet Glass Photoshop Action

Wet Glass Photoshop Action    Item by IndWorks

Ashes n Embers Photoshop Action

Ashes n Embers Photoshop Action     Item by IndWorks

Color Dust Photoshop Action

Color Dust Photoshop Action      Item by IndWorks

Sparks Photoshop Action

Sparks Photoshop Action     Item by IndWorks

Mystic Light Photoshop Action

Mystic Light Photoshop Action      Item by IndWorks

3D Popup Sketch Photoshop Action

3D Popup Sketch Photoshop Action      Item by IndWorks

Urban Sketch Photoshop Action

Urban Sketch Photoshop Action     Item by IndWorks     I want to see how this does compared to some of the other watercolor/ink type plug ins I already have.

GTA Photoshop Action

GTA Photoshop Action    Item by IndWorks

Light & Dark - Photoshop Actions

Light & Dark - Photoshop Actions       Item by BlackNull

Comic Oil Paint Photoshop Actions

Comic Oil Paint Photoshop Actions     Item by creativetacos

Inksketch | PS Action

Inksketch | PS Action     Item by mDxign

Comics Book Art Action

Comics Book Art Action     Item by FabioDesign_Lab

Legendary Light Photoshop Action

Legendary Light Photoshop Action      Item by SupremeTones

Post edited by Novica on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Wow, those look nice! I particularly like the ones that look like they are doing toon / early color magazine ad art styles

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Do you use the Topaz plugins or studio? Wondering how these compare. Just getting going on my art again. Life has calmed down, knock on wood.

I'm just now getting back to rendering with plug ins so haven't used Topaz in quite awhile. I'm not even sure they're loaded up somewhere LOL.  I'll get around to those but sticking to Photoshop at the moment. Perhaps a regular Topaz user can answer what their favorite actions are. 

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Most of Topaz works (and originally worked) as Photoshop plugins. That's how I use them. I hardly ever touch the Studio. That may change, though. But as long as they keep working as plugins, I'll probably keep using them that way. I haven't used the last several filters that I bought though.

edited October 2019

Here's the Feather Photoshop Plug In. I'm not thrilled with it, as the density of the feathers is very cluttered. I went in to change the brush size (yes) and the spacing (yes) on each brush, but the problem is the layers are limited to around eight, and two of them have a LOT of feathers. If you turn off that layer then there's too many gaps. So be prepared for a lot of tweaking. I did find in the comments for the product that the size of the image also can affect that, so I enlarged mine to 4000 and it still is too cluttered. Here's after a LOT of tweaking. (And yes, you can move/slide the layers over, but then it looks funky as they don't really "go" with the area from which they were removed.)   I also made the area really slim that I selected for the feathers.

Alabama1000Feather.jpg
    500 x 900 - 446K
    Post edited by Novica on

Photo to Painting   Video is here for examples.

You can't go wrong with this plug in so far as ease of use. There's no painting on masks at all. You click, play, done. One thing to note- as the instructions are lousy- there are four options in the actions list, and it's misleading. Other plug ins, you choose ONE. Aka there will be ten different effects and you choose one. To do another, you delete the layers for the first one. 

This one- take note (and save yourself an hour of trying to track this down)  You do the Paint Now option then you can stop there or "CONTINUE" and select the rest of the options (Detail 1, Detail 2, Detail 3.)  They don't work without the first Paint Now. And the popup is misleading, you get an error code that could be from a multiple of things. 

edited April 2021

Realstick HDR  by Kitket
    Not going to do a photo of this, the page on Envato shows what it does mostly it looks like just sharpening. But there's a couple notes- 
    It says 30 actions- but SO many are repetitive and some only change the color, which you can easily do with a filter. Number 17 sharpens the image a lot. 

If you want to try a different option (they're all listed in the action list) here's a tip- the vendor "Merged Visible" and you only see one thing, so dragging and dropping the effects to the trash in the Layer section won't work. So just go to Edit and hit the undo until you get to the Undo Merge Visible. It's usually only one undo!  Very fast. Then you can hold shift, select the layers and drag to the trash. 

Post edited by Novica on