Photoshop Playtime And Special Effects/ Filters

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@daventaki   I like that one, nice look :) 

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    Novica said:

@daventaki   I like that one, nice look :) 

+1 That is very cool!

• JoJoSJoJoS Posts: 50

I just came across this thread today and am very happy to see something dedicated to Photoshop < I'm addicted ha. I noticed a lot of actions posted here, and don't get me wrong, I love using them and I do often! Here is an image I did today that actually uses no actions what so ever. Just camera raw, some LUTS and light leaks. I'd love feedback if anyone has any comments :-)

Queen Of Darkness.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

I love it! @JoJoS  Guess I need to google LUTS and light leaks, I have no idea what those are!  And yes you can do some stunning things with just the built in features. (I used Camera Raw only in this post)

edited October 2020

For anyone who has the update of PS 2021 be sure to check out the Neural Filters and the Sky replacement. Pretty nifty. I took a test image I had done with US and changed the sky.  It has adjustments to be able to adjust the tone on the image to match the sky.

Second one is the original.

LavenderFieldsWIPsky.jpg
    2000 x 1298 - 2M
    LavenderFieldsWIP.jpg
    2000 x 1298 - 2M
    Post edited by Daventaki on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

A Country Walk

2020-10-25 09:30:11.069 Total Rendering Time: 34.93 seconds

Photoshop using some NIK Collection filters.

Click on image for full size.

@Daventaki: thank you for demoing those cool new features of PS! Love that sky, and looking forward to trying them out.

@Fishtales: Very cool vintage look! There is so much the NIK filters offer.

edited October 2020

PS 2021 Sky replacement, using the new Australia ecologies for UltraScenery!

This video starting at 35 sec. to 2:30 demos how easy it is to replace the sky, and blend the foreground colors with the background colors.

USCAustralia.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by dawnblade on
    edited April 2021

I'm testing some more plug-ins this weekend and thought you'd like to see a plug-in without ANY work needed to get it to do it's thing. You don't past a mask, nada. Load it and click GO. I did NOT adjust anything. These again are found at graphicriver.net   This is item 11538758 and is called Creative Retouch.

I am using Chamani on the rest of the plug-ins so I can compare apples with apples.

Creative Retouch.jpg
    810 x 900 - 540K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

This is item is no longer available. The vendor was IrmuunDesigns and does not have any items offered. In case you have it, it's called Pencil Photoshop Effect. Shown is default, then using Posterize (from Adjustments, just above the layers.) This is another click and go!  INFO- it said oil plug-in not available BUT RAN ANYWAY. So while it may not give the exact results it is very nice.

Pencil PS Effect Discont.jpg
    810 x 900 - 620K
    Pencil PS Effect Posterize Discont.jpg
    810 x 900 - 706K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

Next up is Photo To Painting and the video is here.   It is item 12412133   It will be awhile but I'll put it here. I've already covered this one but will test on Chamani.  

This is an easy plug-in, you just load your image, make sure it says Background, and click Paint It Now. The first one is just that, Paint It Now. I will say even though the vendor didn't say to have a large picture, the really good effects require it so I made mine at least 2000 px on one of the sides. So this is more punchy than Creative Retouch.

Under Painting Options folder in your layers, these are all with PAINTING TWO selected. So that is your default.

Here is still just using the first step, Painting Finish, without any of the Details (1,2,3)  but with Wet 2 applied. There's 3 of the wets. Neat!!!

This is still just the Painting Finish (step 1) then Color 3 (default, and it has a few ways you can tweak it.) 

Another color is 05, more of a vignette approach. It changes the skin too (orange). The other colors do purple, etc. with overall hue.

You also have a choice of Pointilism painting, which isn't what you think- that should be a render full of dots to comprise the render. Instead, it's more like a bunch of teeny tiny dust dots- think of "noise."  

Next, I've changed the Texture 2 fromSoft Light to Color Dodge. HOWEVER I could not keep the same postwork settings. She had to be darkened and the highlights weren't increased as much. This is to give you a reasonable result (otherwise she is washed out) changing it the bare minimum. You can increase the midtones and shadows more, etc but this is with as few tweaks as possible.

Note: I tested "Divide" and it is identical to Color Dodge. Not seeing any difference when clicking back and forth. Likewise, Overlay is the same as Soft Light.

So back to the default Soft Light, I tested the Detail 1. From looking at Detail 1, 2, 3 they are all the same thing, just different settings for High Pass. So just do Detail 1, double click, and change it from the default 1.7 (even though in the dropdown where you run the files it says 2.9) and set it where you want it. This is High Pass 12.5

Photo To Painting Just Painting Finish Small.jpg
    810 x 900 - 688K
    Photo To Painting Just Painting Finish Wet 2 SMALL.jpg
    810 x 900 - 713K
    Photo To Painting Just Painting Finish Color 3 small.jpg
    810 x 900 - 729K
    Photo To Painting Just Painting Finish Color 5 small.jpg
    810 x 900 - 732K
    Photo To Painting Just Painting Finish Text2 Color Dodge SM.jpg
    810 x 900 - 687K
    Photo To Painting Detail 1 set 12pt5 SMALL.jpg
    810 x 900 - 722K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

Grand Trend Art  product 22862685 has also been done before, but here's on Chamani. Showing the default, and then the Curves adjusted slightly. I can't get the midtone or shadow layers to do squat. Not sure what I'm supposed to have selected, but I've tried everything I can think of. Turning them off and on do nothing, and neither does pulling or playing with their settings. 

This is with curves adjusted.

Chamani Default SMALL.jpg
    810 x 900 - 668K
    Chamani Default curves SM.jpg
    810 x 900 - 649K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

Also done before is Pencil Sketch Photoshop Action,  and if you read the other posts (remember there's an index in this thread) you'll find there's a color, and a black and white option. If you use the black and white, you can change the mode to bring in color. Here's a few examples of changing the mode and the percentages. 

The first is the color option, default, no tweaks.

Second is black and white, no tweaks.

Next is black and white, Screen mode. Note how changing the modes brings back in colors.

Black and white, Linear Dodge mode, 73 percent.

Black and white, Lighten mode.

Black and white, Lighten mode 70 percent

Black and white, Dodge mode, 70 percent

Chamani PhotoSketch default.jpg
    810 x 900 - 758K
    Black and White.jpg
    810 x 900 - 676K
    Black and White Screen Mode.jpg
    810 x 900 - 716K
    Black and White Linear Dodge Add Mode 73per.jpg
    810 x 900 - 684K
    Black and White Lighten Mode.jpg
    1800 x 2000 - 2M
    Black and White Lighten Mode 70per.jpg
    1800 x 2000 - 1M
    Black and White Color Dodge 70Mode.jpg
    1800 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

This is a new one, Chalk Sketch Photoshop Action, product 26510836

Showing the default result:

And with the background color changed. In Background Texture, BT2 I changed from the default Normal to Hard Mix 10% opacity. 
    Under Subject Sketch I turned off SS6 which turned off really heavy face lines. (You can see that on her cheek.)  SS2 will give more midtones when turned off, but I left it on. I also used Reveal Details and a black brush to bring in more dark to the upper left corner and upper right corner (etc) of the background.

Default Chalk Sketch.jpg
    810 x 900 - 830K
    Chalk Sketch.jpg
    810 x 900 - 908K
    Post edited by Novica on

I picked up a few on sale right now.  Pencil Drawing Actions-4 Styles by Kenneth33  Its an older style but worked just fine in CC21

Then Cartoon Painting by 2Lagus

Then I got the idea to combine these two!

JudyLoveTM042021Pencil.jpg
    559 x 929 - 295K
    JudyLoveTM042021Cartoon.jpg
    562 x 929 - 305K
    JudyLoveTM042021Cartooncombo.jpg
    562 x 929 - 480K
    edited April 2021

Viable Drawing 12 in 1 by ridvanpars  (to use run the main script first then whichever other one you want) This is Retro #1

Coming soon forum being wonkie.......  Nope need to look into this further but I guess the action resizes the image because it was a whooping 14mb where the others are around 500kb.

JudyLoveTM042021V.jpg
    1000 x 1662 - 667K
    Post edited by Daventaki on
    edited April 2021

@daventaki  Those are nice combinations. :)   I've found the prices really reasonable, even when not on sale, but on sale is even better! 

This is  Oil Paint Photo Action C53 to CC15, another discontinued one. Has been featured before but I want to see it on Chamani. There's ten options, this is just a couple of them.

This is Oil Paint 02

And this is 08

Chamani Using 02.jpg
    810 x 900 - 634K
    Chamani Oil Paint 8.jpg
    810 x 900 - 743K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

Watercolor and Pencil Action  Item 10359110

This one really needs explanation, and the vendor didn't, but replied back in 2015. Wow, this thread has been going that long LOL. The previous posts were with the mermaid and explains when you get to the Brush layer, use Black and reveal what you want. Opacity 30% and flow 20% work nicely on backgrounds to partially reveal them. With Chamani, I used 22 opacity and 9 flow, then the hair background at the top on both sides, and the outer arms 83/ 9

The more you go over her, the darker she gets. You can leave some of the areas totally gray, like pencil, and do a gradient between that and the colors. 

Using 3 Opacity and 9 flow, then 6 / 1 and building slowly, then 20 percent opacity to speed up the face and shoulders, etc. I didn't spend a lot of time blending (aka I wouldn't use this professionally) but it just shows you what it does.

chamani watercolor pencil action.jpg
    810 x 900 - 641K
    chamani watercolor pencil action 2.jpg
    810 x 900 - 582K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

30 Realistic Paintings Photoshop Action (discontinued)

This was using Grunge Painting and in the Grain Layer, I changed it to Color Dodge with 30% opacity
    Those 30 paintings are a bit misleading, mostly it's just changing the overall hue. 

Grunge Painting Chamani Grain Color Dodge 30.jpg
    810 x 900 - 677K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

Hand Drawn Photoshop  Item 13940500

This one is not default, I worked on it in Luminar.  I added some God Rays upper right for fun, played with contrast, etc. Then in Corel Photo Paint, I dodged/ burned the face, hair, shoulders to get a good blend.

In Photoshop:  Background Sketch, Strong Outlines- I changed to Hard Mix. Difference would also be good for stronger lines. 
    For Angular Outline, try Multiply.

I did the opacity at below 100% to get subtle effects. This is one plug-in you'll just have to test. Try the full opacity first and see how you like it. 

Chamani Hand Drawn BkgrndSketch Strong Outlines.jpg
    810 x 900 - 581K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

Splashed  Item 17304276

Chamani splashed.jpg
    810 x 900 - 938K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

Ultimate Realistic Painting Effect    Item 12249737

Easy, one click. Not many layers to tweak though.

Chamani Ultimate Realstc Ptg Effect default.jpg
    810 x 900 - 557K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

Photo to Classic Oil Painting   Item 10713611

This one, you have different textures which will really change the outcome on her face and skin.You also have 6 different choices. Shown are two.

First is Duplex 1

Second is FX2  2Text (which means two textures applied)

Chamani Photo to Classic Oil Ptg Duplex 1 Text.jpg
    810 x 900 - 661K
    Chamani Photo to Classic Oil Ptg fx2 2text.jpg
    810 x 900 - 705K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

Vibrant Watercolor Effect   Item 11869640

Under Pencil Strokes, if you increase the opacity from 70 to 100 you'll get stronger lines. Color Burn, Darker, and Overlay are good alternate choices. Overlay takes out some of the watercolor effects.
    Painted 03 is on Normal Mode, try it on Hard Light.
    Paper With Texture- the last one shown is with Satin checked.
    I'm not having much luck changing the colors of that dull sand watercolor effect. Clicking on the layers and exploring them (not many to explore) doesn't seem to do much. You'll notice in the promos most of them are the sandy color, with some blue. The images below are labeled with what I did. 

I CHANGE THINGS BACK TO DEFAULT BEFORE SHOWING YOU THE NEXT THING. These don't compile.

The first is with Paper Options off.

Second is Painted 03 Normal changed to Hard Light.

Third is the Satin Option for Paper With Texture

Fourth is with the Pencil Strokes at default. That was using texture 3 and I don't like that blob in the middle, and it's hard to avoid.

Last is Pencil Strokes changed to Overlay mode.

Chamani Paper Options Off.jpg
    810 x 900 - 632K
    Chamani Vibrant Waterc Effect Painted03 Norm to Hard Light.jpg
    810 x 900 - 691K
    Chamani Vibrant Waterc Effect PaprOptns PaperWText SATIN.jpg
    1800 x 2000 - 2M
    Chamani Vibrant Waterc Effect Pencil Strokes Mult default.jpg
    810 x 900 - 616K
    Chamani Vibrant Waterc Effect Pencil Strokes OVERLAY.jpg
    810 x 900 - 681K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

Sketch Paint Action    Item 12147397

I desaturated it a bit, it was REALLY orange. Not many tweak options. 

Chamani Large Sketch Paint Action Default Lhtn.jpg
    810 x 900 - 709K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

Realistic Sketch Photoshop Action    Item 22809975

Wow, very red. If you turn on vibrance 1 copy, it reduces the red. Use Vibrance 1 for saturation and vibrance if you want to tone it down. I also added a few "clouds" the the background.

Chamani Realistic Sketch Photoshop Action.jpg
    810 x 900 - 1014K
    Chamani Realistic Sketch vibrant lowered.jpg
    810 x 900 - 973K
    Post edited by Novica on

This action came from the Adobe website, it is a free action. Google search free photoshop actions creative cloud will take you to the free resources. This specific one is called Toon Artist action set it comes with a downloadable pdf guide also.  I did some modifications afterwards to get this result because I felt that it removed to many of the details of the face.  Basically all I did was remove the background on the original image, then added it on top and decreased the opacity some. This action creates like 16 different background settings so you have to go through and decide which ones you want.  I also went through the lines and decreased them because they were to wide for my taste.  Also at the end it adds a text layer which I just turn off.

No Modification at all.

Changed backgrounds and adjusted stroke (borders)

Added original image layer on top with background removed opacity turned down.

JudyLoveTM042021100.jpg
    562 x 929 - 440K
    JudyLoveTM042021Toon.jpg
    562 x 929 - 629K
    JudyLoveTM042021ToonMOD.jpg
    562 x 929 - 603K

@daventaki   I really like those. Will have to look them up.

edited December 2022

Digital Cartoon Painting      Item 39949832  (Envato/Graphic River)

New to Photoshop or hate coloring layers to apply an effect? This one's for you. One click and done. Be sure your image is large (mine was 3500 on the largest side and over 2000 px on the other I think. Anyway, also have 300 dpi or so for best results. You can tweak by clicking on the dark triangles with lines at the end of the layer name, don't click the layer name. The Oil Paint blending option does nicely changing to Multiply or Color Burn too.

Sharpen has more than sharpen, it is actually highlight and shadow fade too.  I made her fairly dark, you can keep her light skinned if you want. Everything can be changed easily in the layers as the options are all put together for you. SUPER easy to click and move sliders. 

Filter Gallery- Soft Light is the default, Vivid Light (12 setting) has ore definted highlights, 40 it and you get more of a vintage cartoon effect. I went with Linear Dodge at 20% as it is softer but same consolidation of highlights like bars going down the arm.

There is a Light and Light Direction and that is what puts those wiggly lines in the skin if you want that. I didn't.

THEN I went to Smart Sharpen and changed it to Multiply 16% to get the final look. You can REALLY change things up with just this one product, and it's dirt cheap.
    This was an old render from years ago. First is the original, second is the plug in without any tweaking.

Aurore FW Promo Lights ORIG.png
    2376 x 3500 - 7M
    Aurore FW Promo Lights 09 50Per.png
    2376 x 3500 - 7M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2022

The stupid forum isn't doing attachments, says no file data found. 

Post edited by Novica on