Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited July 2018

And here's Dispersion out of the box and with Overlay down to 8 in the Add Contrast layer. I also took out the large clumps. For people not used to the plug in layers you can just close the eye of a layer, like we close the eye in the Scene tab. Dispersion will have dark contrast at default. I'd play with it.

I was just testing what the hair would do that was drawn up, either all or none of it would be done for a keepable render. 

AngelicaCalistaTailDISP.png
    800 x 800 - 878K
    AngelicaCalistaTailDISP2.png
    800 x 800 - 867K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I really like the ultimate paint, particularly the hair part.  I'd probably lessen the effect on other parts, but that is the fun of it, playing around with all the options and masks.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404

I'm still using Adobe CS4

edited July 2018

Hand Drawn out of the box. I'd reduce that light outline buffer or eliminate it. 

AngelicaCalistaHandDrawn.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,323
    edited July 2018

I'm still using Adobe CS4

Ha. I'm still using CS2

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    edited July 2018

My favorite!

MIxed Media is waaaay different than the others. You get stopped several times and have to brush over sections (or not) so you will never be able to show the same results twice, and can get unlimited types of looks before you even mess with the layers. This is with about seven layers turned off. There are lines outlining the nostrils, mouth, and hash lines. 

AngelicaCalistaTailMixMedSome.png
    800 x 800 - 740K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    Novica said:

My favorite!

MIxed Media is waaaay different than the others. You get stopped several times and have to brush over sections (or not) so you will never be able to show the same results twice, and can get unlimited types of looks before you even mess with the layers. This is with about seven layers turned off. There are lines outlining the nostrils, mouth, and hash lines. 

That looks like a neater painted version of the watercolor actions I saw.

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

I'm really enjoying seeing all the Photoshop Actions. I keep sneaking over to Envato to have a look and backing out before I'm tempted to fill my basket! So many choices! 

I really like the Mixed Media image @Novica.

@mollytabby  Many of the ones I have bought in the past aren't available now, and the past was not that long ago. So I decided to get what I wanted and not take a chance. If you can narrow it down to a few, you might want to keep it in mind that store turns over more than this one. Not saying it's drastic, but I don't take chances over there. 

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

Good advice @Novica. I'll pop back and pick out sone to invest in and do mulitple back ups. Thank you smiley 

It's been hit and miss with some of the plug-ins, but another thing to keep in mind are the brushes that come with some of these. The Water one comes with cool brushes, and the price is right.  I piddled with that plug-in and didn't like the results (it requires a lot of time, too. Placing 10 splashes, etc) and so that's one to come back to. Don't start that one unless you have time to really tweak, there's nothing out of the box with it. And the end result will require a lot of tweaking too (and I still didn't like the result, she looked like an ice statue and not someone with water effects. I followed along the video and did exactly what he did. Exactly.)

For a person submerged in water, go for it. For someone NOT in water, I don't know if you'd like it or not. I think it's going to vary greatly with the subject matter. He shows you how to do half in water, half above water and not very visable, so that could be useful. To me, bottom line, that plug-in was work and not enjoyable, and these others have been more fun. I'm in the mood for fun when I'm just playing around, so keep that in mind. You may adore this plug-in and whiz right along. 

Found It! Postwork Challenge

If you haven't popped in to the thread, check out  Postwork Challenge.  See how good you are at spotting postwork and changes, and see if you can outwit us, too. And just have fun!  

All my changes were done by hand, no Photoshop. I don't use that, I use Corel Photo Paint for just the basics such as midtones, sharpening, contrast, etc, and for drawing. I don't have a pen, it's all done by mouse. So see if I can fool you with some clever postwork drawing!  @nonesuch00 and @stormlyght are off to a great start and have found 10 out of 23 things. And now it gets harder! 

Novica said:

Found It! Postwork Challenge

If you haven't popped in to the thread, check out  Postwork Challenge.  See how good you are at spotting postwork and changes, and see if you can outwit us, too. And just have fun!  

All my changes were done by hand, no Photoshop. I don't use that, I use Corel Photo Paint for just the basics such as midtones, sharpening, contrast, etc, and for drawing. I don't have a pen, it's all done by mouse. So see if I can fool you with some clever postwork drawing!  @nonesuch00 and @stormlyght are off to a great start and have found 10 out of 23 things. And now it gets harder! 

That's encouraging because I'm going to have to try & use PSE 9 or Gimp 2.10.x to do my postwork.

Vyktorhia has joined the Genesis 8 sale items, and be sure and scope out her Sexy Skinz Boudoir. It's not just lingerie, one or two of those can be used almost as a Supersuit type item under other clothing. 

edited July 2018

I have a question, I've Googled, I've tried various things, and to no avail. The Photoshop plug ins have layers, and in numerous videos, the creator rushes through and just does things and assumes we know the hotkeys, etc. When I read elsewhere what to do, I'm not getting the same things as what's on the screen. For instance, he'll move Dust around and simply says click on the layer and move it. RIGHT. The entire image moves, not just the dust.

I've tried the Edit>Transform thing, the click the T (with whatever it was, CTRL, or ALT, whatever) and I'll sometimes get the transform popup rectangle- but HE doesn't. And I have to choose scale or rotate, not move which is what I want. So how do you select something in the layer and move it around?  The video shows him just clicking on the layer and only the dust blob is moving. SO frustrating!

Anyway, I'll show you a few things without being able to move anything. (So I ended up turning some neat stuff OFF. Really grumpy about that.)  This is Dust.

This is how it progressed, the second one shows how you can take out all or part of the original color. I left green for the eye shadow and blue for the lips just for some funky fun. You can also change that white in the back to a different color, but I left it as-is.

This was the best I could do without moving anything.

AngelicaCalistaTaiDUST.png
    600 x 600 - 577K
    AngelicaCalistaTailDUST2.png
    600 x 600 - 590K
    AngelicaCalistaTailDUST4.png
    600 x 600 - 579K
    AngelicaCalistaTailDUST5.png
    600 x 600 - 576K
    Post edited by Novica on

I like the 1st one best.

The thing about moving stuff around in the PS viewport I have same trouble with PSE. In fact, if I was any good at moving stuff around in PSE layer / GIMP layer once I pasted something into a layer, I'm confident I'd get decent at PSE/Gimp but I'm clueless. I think it comes down to you need to, exactly after pasting the item into PS/PSE/Gimp, in the tool panel, click on the arrow in the very top left side. 

Let me know if that works.

I had to restart my render for your challenge or I was not happy with how Mr. Bear's fur was rendering. So disppointed being I was doing a word play. I thought when I bought Mr Bear & Son that he came with LAMH fur or at least fur that was much more realistic than what this was rendering too but I couldn't find the preset for it. frown

Yeah, when I tried just the tool thing it moved the entire mask/ layer. Each layer in these has two square, one is the mask, the other is ?   But I tried clicking on both and same thing happens, it all moves around. (the woman included.)  I think I'll just email him directly and ask what he's doing. Such a noob.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited July 2018

Select the Move tool with the letter V. Uncheck "Auto-select" in the toolbar and then select the dust layer. You will be able to just move that layer.

When "Auto-select" is checked, it will select the layer that is closest to where your mousepointer is, which is often the top layer.

Post edited by dawnblade on
    edited July 2018

I appreciate the help :)    It didn't work for me. I did message the vendor and if I get it figured out, I will pass it on. Or if any of you are using these plug-ins, please advise as to what you're doing to move things around in a layer. 

In the sale this weekend, I picked up discounted items (65% to 80+%)  Here's a few of them.  I like the sleeves on the Bibi Set. The hair is Messy Updo which has already been featured many times. I redid many settings on Clarke's lips, they were too matte for me. The lip options are all pretty dark (including goth colors) so I made my own in Surfaces with the base color. The glossy is orange, and translucency changed from a blue to a yellow. I also added metallic flakes, as usual.  You get a lot of brow options for Clarke. 

Clarke (Gen3F / Gen8F)       Bibi Set (Gen8F)   

This second one doesn't show the character well, I lightened it so you could see the outfit better. The boots are cute! 

ClarkeMessyUpdoBibi.png
    690 x 900 - 873K
    ClarkeMessyUpdoBibi2.png
    300 x 900 - 234K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    Novica said:

Yeah, when I tried just the tool thing it moved the entire mask/ layer. Each layer in these has two square, one is the mask, the other is ?   But I tried clicking on both and same thing happens, it all moves around. (the woman included.)  I think I'll just email him directly and ask what he's doing. Such a noob.

I have the same issues using GIMP!

I've got some people helping behind the scenes, if any of it works I'll let everyone know. I'm going to be gone for the next few hours and will check back in. Maybe someone can help you with GIMP too.

edited July 2018

I'm watching SevenStyles's Dust PS action tutorial video (now at 20:48) and it looks like he is consistently selecting the layer (on our left) before moving it. Is it possible you're selecting the mask to the right?

MoveDustLayer.JPG
    1147 x 483 - 77K
    Post edited by dawnblade on
    edited July 2018

VYK Ruby (Gen8F)      Blithe Hair (Gen3/8F) 

This is really only for people who dForce, otherwise there's a total lack of options other than "loosen" for this outfit.    The dForce Seven Seas Outfit (Gen8F) has no sit adjustments, no nothing. Look carefully at the product page.  It's in the Girl 8 Pro Bundle (which explains why I have it.)  The materials are good and it's a cute product, just remember there's nothing you can do with it unless you dForce. 

And SOOOOO tired of when you add an attachment, nothing shows up so you think you haven't. Then you post it and it's there.

VYK Ruby Blithe Hair Seven Seas.png
    700 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2018
    dawnblade said:

I'm watching SevenStyles's Dust PS action tutorial video (now at 20:48) and it looks like he is consistently selecting the layer (on our left) before moving it. Is it possible you're selecting the mask to the right?

Believe me, I tried both those boxes. I think L'adair has figured it out, I'm going to test. See that little do-hickey between the two boxes, the layer image and the layer mask? I need to unclick that so it unlinks them. Going to try that shortly. 

Post edited by Novica on

Well this is frustrating. I do have the move tool selected, I tried with both the Auto Select checked and unchecked, I tried the layer image, the layer mask  and both of those with the link in-between them off and on. Turning it off didn't do anything. I did try the arrow keys to move it, in addition to trying to manually pull it. 

edited July 2018

Well yippee- FINALLY. L'adair was correct about the link between the two, but I had to go to the next level down instead of the main folder. I was clicking on the big square that was red, as "obviously" that would be the one as it's what I was trying to move. Arrrrgh. No, it was the section below it which was the transparent background and a blob. So stupid me, not going inside the folder.  Such a stupid user error. But I did learn about the link between the image and the mask. So thanks for the help everyone!

Post edited by Novica on
    Glad it's working now!
    edited July 2018

@dawnblade   Well you were a big help too. You can only point an idiot to a screenshot and hope they notice what level should be clicked! You and L'adair make a great team!  Thanks so much!

Post edited by Novica on
    You're welcome! Happy to help.
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    dawnblade said:
    You're welcome! Happy to help.

Ditto. smiley

This discussion has been closed.