MANGA STYLE & VISUAL STYLE topic - Update Sept 23rd 2017: Fixed Dropbox links! [Commercial]

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

I am a foreigner and I am more than capable of reading long english texts. I don´t get tired reading them

I am GLAD for you! I asked for advice how just simply run this and nobody gave unswear, just their biographys.

You haven't said where you are having trouble - applying the shader in the first place? Knowing what settings to use when? Getting a good render as a result? Nor have you said which layout you are using in DAZ Studio, which would be needed to give a step-by-step sequence, nor how familiar you are with the basic functions.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

I asked for advice how just simply run this and nobody gave unswear, just their biographys.

I didn´t notice any questions from you, just complaints. So naturally I could not give an advice. This is probably why other forum members did not give you any advices either.

But you still did not say what problem you actually have with these shaders. I don´t know how advanced you are in use of DAZ studio. Are you familiar with shaders and have problems only with this one product, or do you need a general advice about how to use shaders?

• LagrangeLagrange Posts: 111
    edited February 2015

"But you still did not say what problem you actually have with these shaders" - because I dont know the exact problem too. If i'd knew it, I'd already solve.

Well I spent 4 hours of my life on reading, translation, trying! I do everything exactly as written and this shit is only I did get for my tries. My conclusion - it's a bad mod, I can do transformation to pencil style in Photoshop with equal quality and 1000 times faster.

2015-02-07_034712.jpg
    616 x 441 - 150K
    Post edited by Lagrange on
  • TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited February 2015

Helleformer, please try downloading the Manga Style freebie pack. It's available on the first page, but i'll link it here too: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12960659/Daz3DWork/Freebies/TNP_MangaStyle_FreebiePack1.zip

The freebie pack contains some lights and "render settings presets". After installing, you'll find them in the same location as the shaders.

I believe the problem might be your render settings. It seems that for some reason it's rendering the screentone effect as completely black (not sure what the cause is, though it may have something to do with either the pixel samples or the shading rate, those have given me troubles in the past). Try using one of the "render settings presets" in the freebie pack and see if that works.

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

New figure, Star, by Littlefox, is GREAT for these shaders!!!

Star1a.jpg
    600 x 800 - 125K
    edited December 1969

Nice! I only just got the newsletter announcing her. Seems like a really interesting character. :D

• sjaammonssjaammons Posts: 185
    edited December 1969

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone can help me with this but I'm having problems with the manga shaders and getting them to do what they're supposed to do.

So here's what happens. I load a character, I select him, and I choose either one of the Outline shaders, or the skin shaders, and instead of getting the desired effect I get this featureless grey figure, and even when rendering it STILL shows up as a featureless grey figure. I've been following the guide but it says nothing about this problem, and no matter what trick I do I still get the same result: a featureless grey figure without any of the shader effects.

Can anyone help me please?

edited December 1969

I'm not really sure what's causing your problem, so I have a few questions to ask.

1. What renderer are you using? Like most shaders on the store, these only work in 3Delight. If you're using Iray or the OpenGL render, then it most likely will just appear as grey with no detail.

2. What lights are you using? Toon shaders work best with simplistic lighting. If you're using ultra-realistic lights such as Omnifreaker's UberEnvironment or Age of Armou's Ambient Occlusion Light, they might mess up the look of the shader (not to mention increase rendering times).

I highly recommend downloading the "Manga Style Freebie Pack 1" from the first post of this topic, as it comes with both Render Setting presets and Light Setting presets that were made to work with Manga Style. That should hopefully solve whatever problem you're having.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

Heck, Nathan, your Manga Lights presets are invaluable with most any shader combination! I usually go between yours and some (very!) old P4 light presets by Don Albert when I need snappy lighting, right now!

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Not sure if this has been covered already and I missed it...

Does anyone have any tips or settings for a good metallic and/or a hard plastic look in Visual Style? I tried a couple of settings but I feel like it doesn't look right. Maybe it's in the way the Occlusion works? I don't know what I'm doing, but I'd appreciate any help.

Also, another odd question: Sometimes I'd like to use a texture bump or displacement which requires tiling to work well with a figure or prop. Is there a way get some sort of tiling effects in Visual Style?

Thanks!

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Quick update: Maybe I just needed to write out my question... As soon as I submitted the post, the idea came to me to tweak some of the Noir settings to get the look I wanted and that seems to have worked pretty well.

Still, I wouldn't mind any other ideas or experiential anecdotes. ;)

• towdow3towdow3 Posts: 83
    edited August 2015

Thank you everyone for trying to answer my question with no reference what so ever. My apologizes What i mean by reacting to light is, if the light source is yellow, i want the yellow to show on the skin much in the way it would if for instance goku was performing a kamehameha. As it stands right now, I can, pre render have said light, but once I render it still turns out much in the way it does in the picture attatched. I COULD just change the light diffuse, but isnt there some way to NOT have to do this?

Theresa, the Bullet.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 449K
    Post edited by towdow3 on
  • Unfortunately your attachment doesn't seem to be working. It's just appearing as a broken image.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Remove the attachment and then attach it again.

• AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    towdow3 said:

I have a burning question. This is a panel in my comic book. I want to have the skin reflect the light from a gunshot or something, just like in anime, or dragonball Z. How can I get the skin  to do so?

My best guess is, unless we get a better reference, is have a spot light matching the position of the bullet, no falloff whatsoever, and aim it towards your character.

Repeat as needed for each character.

• Ariaso said:
    towdow3 said:

I have a burning question. This is a panel in my comic book. I want to have the skin reflect the light from a gunshot or something, just like in anime, or dragonball Z. How can I get the skin  to do so?

My best guess is, unless we get a better reference, is have a spot light matching the position of the bullet, no falloff whatsoever, and aim it towards your character.

Repeat as needed for each character.

And if you want the effect to be more noticeable, try reducing the overall amount of light in the scene (making the bullet spot light the main source of light).

• Heck, one of my classic favorites from my early DS days (spring '05, before there WERE custom shaders!) used just one point-light on the end of a cigarette.

I'm told it's so dark, though, that some users with older CRT monitors can't even see it.

Waiting for a Wicked Man.jpg
    1021 x 767 - 94K
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Hi. I have a problem with eyes and manga shader - even when i use CTRL to choose "ignore" instead of replace, i end up having emptyness(

• It's possible that the cornea has become opaque, covering the rest of the eye. Try selecting the cornea and see what the opacity settings are.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited September 2015

Cornea's opacity, then. Thanks, i'll try.

By the way i tried applying "cornea" style from presets to cornea, and it worked. But only with Genesis. Does that mean i must manually tweak it for Gen2/V4?

Post edited by akmerlow on
  • Possibly. If I remember correctly, Manga Style was created and released long before Genesis 2 was announced (it was released shortly after the release of Hiro 5), and I think Genesis 2 has different surface names than Genesis 1, so Material Presets for Gen1 won't work with Gen2 (again, if I remember correctly).

To make things a little easier for yourself, apply the cornea preset to Genesis 1, select the cornea, and then save a new Shader Preset. You can then easily apply that preset to any surface you want, including Genesis 2 and V4 (but you'll have to manually select the figure's cornea first before applying the preset).

• So I don't suppose there's any way I'll get this working for Genesis 3?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

So I don't suppose there's any way I'll get this working for Genesis 3?

One surface at a time...

• So I don't suppose there's any way I'll get this working for Genesis 3?

The shader will work with Genesis 3, you'll just have to manually apply the shader to each surface yourself. Remember, you can select multiple surfaces and apply a preset to all of them at the same time.

• Excellent. Looking at picking it and Visual Styles up to use in making VNs, of all things.

• GregoGrego Posts: 12

Thanks for all

Hi, I'm amazed by this shading.
    Noir style not easy for me, anyone who controls it can upload a simple tutorial?

or instructions step by step, please.

Sorry, 

I've seen tutorials, soon I'll upload an image.

• warrenaowarrenao Posts: 59
    edited November 2015

It took me a while to realize I need to render out to 3Delight, not Iray. Sigh. NOW, between the step guides and the documentation, I'm finally ready to start 'sperimenting.

Post edited by warrenao on