Using the New Forums (In Progress) - Please Post Questions and Issues Here !

Comments

• his xhis x Posts: 866
    DAZ_Jon said:

Rottenham said:

I see that a whole bunch of my bookmarked forum threads are broken.  I do hope this is temporary.

We are looking at this. This is a completely different forum software and just the migration of the existing threads, images, private messages, etc., for so many posts was pretty rough since a lot of concepts from one system didn't necessarily have a correlary with the new on that could be mapped over. That being said, threads do have a correlary so redirects would be easier.. the harder part is mapping the almost hundred thousand discussions and almost a million comments in a way that wouldn't be super slow without building out a whole new system that sits in front of the forums that just handles redirect for legacy URLs. Basically, there are costs to it and we are investigating what the pros and cons are. It is one of the things at the top of our list in relation to the forums we are looking at. 

I assume you knew before implementing the new system that it would decimate the existing bookmarks.  Am I right?

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,758

What about subscribed threads?  I can pull up a list of threads that I've personally started, or a list of every post I've ever made, but I haven't found anything about viewing even the names of the threads that I used to be subscribed to. 

• DAZ_JonDAZ_Jon Posts: 582
    Stezza said:

In the Catagories I hide the Nuts & Bolts to see if did hide.. which it did

now I want to see it again and there isn't an option to unhide it.. that I can find cool

So, in the top right of the header there is a gear icon, you can view your discussions, pms, dashboard, etc., from there. You can also choose, when viewing categories, view all categories or subscribed categories. Switch to all view and unhide it, and you can switch back to subscribed.

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131

Well, in my previous forum set-up I didn't have an avatar icon, it now looks as though we have to have one.  In the signature line (as you may notice) the text is quite large and seems to compete with the main body text.  It also looks as though any image you may want to put in the signature line has to have a URL, so we can't upload an image from our computer.

There is also no "Preview" option for these posts!

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

There definitely needs to be a way to see page numbers (and go to X page) from the thread listings.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795
    DAZ_Jon said:
    Stezza said:

now I want to see it again and there isn't an option to unhide it.. that I can find cool

So, in the top right of the header there is a gear icon, you can view your discussions, pms, dashboard, etc., from there. You can also choose, when viewing categories, view all categories or subscribed categories. Switch to all view and unhide it, and you can switch back to subscribed.

that's tricky... it doesn't show till you mouse over it... thanks

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814

I know on the main post there is a "preview" feature but it doesn't seem to have been carried over to drafts. Not sure why though. Maybe they can bring that in in an update.

Rottenham said:

I assume you knew before implementing the new system that it would decimate the existing bookmarks.  Am I right?

Yup, we knew. It was one of a number of things we put on the backburner for initial implementation and launch. As with any project, some things dont make it or get cut or just not prioritized over others. And waiting to get all the things that we would like to have done to go live with something means nothing ever gets rolled out. The whole "perfection is the enemy of progress," or "one step bac two steps forwards" or something about breaking eggs and making omelets things. 

What about subscribed threads?  I can pull up a list of threads that I've personally started, or a list of every post I've ever made, but I haven't found anything about viewing even the names of the threads that I used to be subscribed to. 

Looks like we the subscribed thread relationship on the conversion didn't catch them all. We'll isolate that part and see if we can re-run it so that all your subscribed (now called Bookmarked, you can do it with the star in the thread header) threads work.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107
    MelanieL said:
    icecrmn said:

Is there no time stamp on the posts?

I hate to be a grouch, but I hate this new forum layout, it is dreadful.

Looks like I will be starting to learn all over again.   What was wrong with the old forum?

it's under your avatar

Yes, but notice that the quotes don't give a timestamp of the post they are quoting, which makes it hard to go back and find (for example) the full text with attachments on a busy forum thread...

Oh, and all the posts from previous days just have the date (unless you run the mouse over the date and it then shows the time too) - this is a disadvantage if you're trying to see which posts in a thread are new since you last visited, unless your memory of what you've already read is better than mine.blush

yes, your right.I agree,that would make it a lot easier to find stuff.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

SO I take that the old notifications will no longer work?  I only had three but they come up with No Page Found.  I'll have to go through and resubscribe to the threads I want but MAN I love this new look. 

I do have one issue.. in the profile change options, if your using the dark theme, which I prefer, maybe the code monkeys can change the mouse over colors a bit.. it's glaring white.. on a dark theme it's blinding to hover over an area and have it turn white all of sudden, even the text so I couldn't even read what was there....

Thank you! 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,689

I see the forums have changed.  Trying to decide if I like it or not.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

So...let's see...

Another forum software change that trashes most, if not all the old links to all the previous information.  New software that may not have the 'problems' of the old...but unlike the last time  SURPRISE!!!

A little warning would have been nice.

edited July 2015

Hmm weird, when I log out and view the post "timestamp" goes away for me. So maybe you can only see the timestamps if you are logged in...

See attachment below:

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited July 2015

...um what the bugger? I thought my login crashed again. Trying to get to my PMs but don't see the usual PM link at the top of the page anymore.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Well one thing I don't like is that I can't use my old user name RAMWolff.  RAMWorks was for my store logon... Now I guess I'm RAMWorks... weird.. frown

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,061
    Cayman said:

Well, in my previous forum set-up I didn't have an avatar icon, it now looks as though we have to have one.  In the signature line (as you may notice) the text is quite large and seems to compete with the main body text.  It also looks as though any image you may want to put in the signature line has to have a URL, so we can't upload an image from our computer.

There is also no "Preview" option for these posts!

You can set the size of your signiture text with the 'styles' button -- use 'smaller'. smiley

RAMWorks said:

Well one thing I don't like is that I can't use my old user name RAMWolff.  RAMWorks was for my store logon... Now I guess I'm RAMWorks... weird.. frown

Usernames are standardized now between forum and gallery and store. So you can change it in your My Account > Account Information (the Username field) and it will change for everything.

OK, got my user name changed but I did reply to a couple of posts and am not getting notifications.... where do I subscribe?  I went to my profile to change how things are send to me either via email or pop up but nothing was in there about "instant notification for posts replied to" or what ever.  SO this remains a mystery... off to look around some more...

Also the same mess that 'Rosity had for a while that denies me the right to copy and paste via right click.. come on, please fix this... browser is secure ...

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

The only thing I like about it is that I can change my username, which I've wanted to do since day one and will be getting round to sooner rather than later. However, I'm only going to have to do that once. The thing I hate most about it is that it seems I can't just click on the last page of a thread, I have to click into the thread first and that's something I'd have to do multiple (annoying) times a day. I'm not keen on the space-wasting layout, but it's having to open the thread first to find a link to the last page of it that I hate the most. I often get the feeling that the store does not value my custom, and now I'm getting the distinct impression that the forum does not value my time.

DAZ_Jon said:
    Stezza said:

ok... another problem..

now that I have unhidden nuts & bolts I went and hid another catagory to test it again.. but the catagory doesn't hide when selected and when I click on the gear it says Unhide

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,683
    edited July 2015
    I
    mjc1016 said:

So...let's see...

Another forum software change that trashes most, if not all the old links to all the previous information.  New software that may not have the 'problems' of the old...but unlike the last time  SURPRISE!!!

I agree as I am also curious as to why DAZ decided not to warn us :) Had a similar question. It seems common courtesy to inform users. I am not someone who dislikes change, but I do like to be notified if it's ahead ;) Note that it's not in my nature to be pessimistic or negative! I'm just genuinely curious as to why DAZ decided to do it secretly :)
    Post edited by Sylvan on
  • Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131
    edited July 2015
    namffuak said:
    Cayman said:

You can set the size of your signiture text with the 'styles' button -- use 'smaller'. smiley

Ah!  I see it.  Thanks, namffuak.  yes

Post edited by Cayman Studios on
  • his xhis x Posts: 866
    DAZ_Jon said:
    Rottenham said:

Yup, we knew. It was one of a number of things we put on the backburner for initial implementation and launch. As with any project, some things dont make it or get cut or just not prioritized over others. And waiting to get all the things that we would like to have done to go live with something means nothing ever gets rolled out. The whole "perfection is the enemy of progress," or "one step bac two steps forwards" or something about breaking eggs and making omelets things.

When DAZ made the decision - right or wrong - to forego traditional user manuals, the forum became crucial.  Now it seems you have knowingly undermined the forum's value.  I doubt that DAZ realizes the damage they've done.  This is unfortunate.

Once you have been in a thread all ready (Read the first post etc) then when you subsequently come back into the thread it will automatically take you to the end of the thread. I think the reasoning there is that if you never have been in the thread before you would want to read the first post before just reading the responses to it but once you have seen that first page, when you revisit the thread, it take you directly to the end.

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578

Losing all of the bookmarks I had is just ... beyond brutal.

How am I going to find all of that information again?

I can not even imagine.

Why didn't you simply warn us and give us a chance to make some kind of copy??

dclane said:

The only thing I like about it is that I can change my username, which I've wanted to do since day one and will be getting round to sooner rather than later. However, I'm only going to have to do that once. The thing I hate most about it is that it seems I can't just click on the last page of a thread, I have to click into the thread first and that's something I'd have to do multiple (annoying) times a day. I'm not keen on the space-wasting layout, but it's having to open the thread first to find a link to the last page of it that I hate the most. I often get the feeling that the store does not value my custom, and now I'm getting the distinct impression that the forum does not value my time.

That will work itself out. When you read a thread, it will take you to the last comment when you last looked at the thread. So, if you leave and come back, you will start at what was the previous end of thread when you last read it. That being said, in the list of threads, having a selection of page numbers to jump straight to would be nice. Its on the list.

Granted on threads you read before (on the previous forums) you will have to go to the first page on the new forums initially but after that, you'll go to the end from there on out.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,689

How do I find out if I have a pm or not?

Estroyer said:
    I
    mjc1016 said:

So...let's see...

I agree and I am also curious as to why DAZ decided not to warn us :) Had a similar question. It seems common courtesy to inform users. I am not someone who dislikes change, but I do like to be notified if it's ahead ;) Note that it's not in my nature to be pessimistic or negative! I'm just genuinely curious as to why DAZ decided to do it secretly :)

I think they told us 12 months ago.. they were just a little slow in implementing it lol

and this quote thing is cumbersome as well... you hit quote then have to scroll to the end of the page then select the quote to hit the little red bent arrow...

I'm running out of the extra clicks I had stored away real quick! devil

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,758

And where will we find the list of bookmarked threads? 

DAZ_Jon said:

Looks like we the subscribed thread relationship on the conversion didn't catch them all. We'll isolate that part and see if we can re-run it so that all your subscribed (now called Bookmarked, you can do it with the star in the thread header) threads work.