Using the New Forums (In Progress) - Please Post Questions and Issues Here !

Comments

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814
    kyoto kid said:

"• The notification link of a post I’m following doesn’t go directly to the new post.
    - The notification of a new post to a topic you are following will link you to the first post. This is a limitation of the forum software. You will need to navigate to the last post of the topic to see the new comment. "

...OK looked through the FAQ notice and came accross the above This pretty much makes the email notification feature totally pointless as apparently you have no choice but to manually navigate from page 1 to the comment in question . As I mentioned this will be a huge pain in long and/or fast moving threads as well as when one is subscribed to a large number of threads.

So effectively just based on this alone, the new software is a downgrade in "user experience".  angry

My emails are going to the post in question when I click the link. Actually the e-mail link I got took me right to this post for me to reply to it :) It does sometimes go to the bottom of the post rather than the top of it but it is taking you to the post.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited July 2015

I was trying out the video embedding :) I guess daz has nt got that far yet..lol

Post edited by Ivy on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited July 2015

My emails are going to the post in question when I click the link. Actually the e-mail link I got took me right to this post for me to reply to it :) It does sometimes go to the bottom of the post rather than the top of it but it is taking you to the post.

Ann...are you using a 'normal' user account or your Admin one?

Every forum I've been part of for more than 15yrs (countless types/versions) the admin/mod accounts all have more features/functions than normal accounts.  And just because something is working in the mod/admin account doesn't mean it actually does work at the 'normal' user account level.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited July 2015

On the "FAQ" everyone was referring to. If it was the one by Blaine Furner, that is from 2012. That thread was not about the current "new forums" but rather about the forums that for us are now the old forums. I've now released that thread to alleviate any confusion.

For information on these forums, please use the first post in this thread. We will be updating it as we need to while we are transitioning.

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,058

So how do I subscribe to a thread? I can't seem to find anything anywhere?

And how do I turn off the 'draft saved' popup; I don't do drafts.

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited July 2015

Good gravy... this is just about the worst forum design I have seen in... I can't tell you how many years. I can't even figure out how to get a quote to work, because when I hit quote, the cursor stays inside the quote and won't let me out of it to respond to the quoted text.  The 'spread' on the forum topic list between the title, aaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllll the way on the left, and the # of comments/replies, aaaaaaaaaaallllllllllll the way on the right, plus the font sizes and so forth, make it hard to even see (as we could easily see before) at a glance what topics have been responded to liberally and which ones have not. 

I used to come here somewhat frequently. If the forum  is going to be this ugly and most significantly this fundamentally different in design and especially function from every other forum in the universe, I probably won't be coming back here very much. I dunno what's going to happen if I get stuck with something. I have little hope of being able to find it in the soup of unredability that this forum has become.

I really can't imagine who could possibly have looked at this forum design, from the ugly fonts to the poor placement of text to the user-UNfriendly interface and thought this was good design.

Post edited by Steven-V on
  • erostewerostew Posts: 214
    edited July 2015

The email link or notification link take me to the post in question too.

But I found that when I click post comment it shows my newly posted comment under the post that was last at the time that I clicked reply but there is no indication that there have been other posts in the meantime unless I refresh the page.

Post edited by erostew on
    mjc1016 said:

Ann...are you using a 'normal' user account or your Admin one?

Admin account, that said I do have someone I can have test it real quick but the FAQ Page saying it didn't work was from 2012. It was about the old forums when they were first released and not these ones (though it could be an issue starting out on these ones too..it isn't for me but I'll have someone test it for me that isnt a mod or admin)

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,683
    Stezza said:
    Estroyer said:
    I
    mjc1016 said:

So...let's see...

Another forum software change that trashes most, if not all the old links to all the previous information.  New software that may not have the 'problems' of the old...but unlike the last time  SURPRISE!!!

A little warning would have been nice.

I agree and I am also curious as to why DAZ decided not to warn us :) Had a similar question. It seems common courtesy to inform users. I am not someone who dislikes change, but I do like to be notified if it's ahead ;) Note that it's not in my nature to be pessimistic or negative! I'm just genuinely curious as to why DAZ decided to do it secretly :)

I think they told us 12 months ago.. they were just a little slow in implementing it lol

and this quote thing is cumbersome as well... you hit quote then have to scroll to the end of the page then select the quote to hit the little red bent arrow...

I'm running out of the extra clicks I had stored away real quick! devil

I know! It was the first thing that popped in my head when the forums were down :D

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560

...the upload "Image" function is also really confusing as it asks for a URL:address.  What if the image is resident on your system? In that case, there is no URL involved.  You should just be able to upload an image like we've been doing for years.

...and what is it with all that Latin text in the preview window, isn't that where the image should appear?

Really feel like I'm at the controls of an Airbus 380 that suddenly had all the displays go BSOD on me.

Use attach file at the bottom for files you wish to upload smiley

edited July 2015

just ignore this. No longer relevant :)

Post edited by erostew on
  • ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    edited July 2015
    DAZ_Jon said:
    That being said, threads do have a correlary so redirects would be easier.. the harder part is mapping the almost hundred thousand discussions and almost a million comments in a way that wouldn't be super slow without building out a whole new system that sits in front of the forums that just handles redirect for legacy URLs.

I've seen this in other Vanilla upgrades. The rewrite examples they provide may not always work (edit: I see you're on nginx, a somewhat tougher nut to crack). Sorry if this has been repeated elsewhere (didn't check through all six pages yet), but you'd basically do a URL rewrite of

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/#####/

with

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/#####/

Working example:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/54293/  (busted link from a Google search)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54293/ (working link)

The coding shouldn't be too onerous.

Post edited by Tobor on

...so what use is the "image" button in the upper bar then?

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,058

And no matter HOW the images are uploaded - these thumbnails are MUCH to small. I'm not going to right-click/open in new tab every image here just so I can see what the heck they are. And click in place should provide the image as a pop-up or new tab automatically OR have a close option.

kyoto kid said:

Linking to a gallery page/image hosting site...

kyoto kid said:

It's for inserting an image already online, hence the "url". Might break the page formatting  if the software doesn't handle it well I suspect.

mjc1016 said:
    kyoto kid said:

Yes that :)

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,084

How do I find out if I have a pm or not?

It should show up next to Inbox in your profile (and under notifications you can set it to send you an email or put a popup at the bottom of the screen when you get one as well.

That's unfortunate and nonintuitive.  It is much better to have something right on the top where you can see it without having to go to your profile to see if there are messages.

Dana

I don't diagree. That said, the previous forum had some similar quarks that over time were resolved so they would be more useful/useable/user-friendly so I hope everyone will hang in there while bugs/improvement/fixes get implemented. Generally they are done in order of severity so looking into that may happen but I would think it would be later down the road after more major things are resolved.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    If the forum  is going to be this ugly and most significantly this fundamentally different in design and especially function from every other forum in the universe,

I really can't imagine who could possibly have looked at this forum design, from the ugly fonts to the poor placement of text to the user-UNfriendly interface and thought this was good design.

Another feature to be considered for adding to the new forums; a "like very, very much" button. I thoroughly agree with and approve of these comments. It's just too weird and too different — I've never seen anything quite like this either, and I've been online for a few years longer than I've been here at DAZ.

And we still need to be able to preview!   no

namffuak said:

And no matter HOW the images are uploaded - these thumbnails are MUCH to small. I'm not going to right-click/open in new tab every image here just so I can see what the heck they are. And click in place should provide the image as a pop-up or new tab automatically OR have a close option.

I agree with that. Should have the image open in a popup. But I use an extension in Chrome called Imagus  That will show the linked image on hover which is very useful in situations like this.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Hmmm... Yeah, getting an email for every single post is going to be a problem if I wake up tomorrow and find hundreds of emails in my mailbox, which means you have to unsubscribe and will therefore have no way of knowing if somebody posted to a thread, which kind of makes subscriptions pointless except for nearly-unused threads.  Hopefully that will get changed.

I also don't see any way of being able to resume reading a huge thread where you left off.  If there are 10 pages and 100 posts get added overnight, you have no way of finding page 11 because it will jump you to the end.  Although this problem would perhaps be fixed by the same as the fix to the issue above.  Or is there some visual marker in the list of page numbers?

• Zone 822Zone 822 Posts: 30

Without a search feature I don't know if this has been noted:

Clicking an image or thumbnail only shows a large image if you are logged in. Also, the new forum is almost completely non-functional unless I have NoScript allow something called ajax.googleapis.com. That is unfortunate since I avoid google when possible.

edited July 2015
    mjc1016 said:
    kyoto kid said:

...does anyone ever really do that?  I upload all my images directly from my system, so much simpler...

...well...

...was so.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

Ann I do have a question as a PC member ,ummm is the members only forum gone or is it just that I can't find it???

edited July 2015

kyoto kid:

...does anyone ever really do that?  I upload all my images directly from my system, so much simpler...

...well...

...was so.

Ann said you can still do that with the 'Attach a file' link above the 'Post Comment' button...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

I'm a little disppointed the animation forums are gone , but I think I have most of my Profile fixed back to the way it was or close as i could get it

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 773

All topics should display a "last post" time stamp in a clear consistent format and location that does not depend on any contexts.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    sriesch said:

Hmmm... Yeah, getting an email for every single post is going to be a problem if I wake up tomorrow and find hundreds of emails in my mailbox,

I've only clicky-clicked on the little (nearly invisible) star button for a handful of threads so far, and I've already got over a hundred e-mails in just the last few hours. This needs to be put on an urgency of "fix yesterday".