Using the New Forums (In Progress) - Please Post Questions and Issues Here !

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Okay, riddle me this...

• I see a post I want to reply to.
    • I click on the little blue "Quote" at the bottom of the post.
    • The screen scrolls up a few lines.
    • Nothing else happens.

I clicked a few more times, all that happened was the little jump upwards a few lines. Then I just happened to look at the bottom of the page and saw half a dozen quoted copies of the post in the edit window. Surely it isn't supposed to work like this...?  no

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783

I believe they said they were looking into getting the old bookmarks back? So I wouldn't put nails in any coffins just yet :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751

Okay, riddle me this...

• I see a post I want to reply to.
    • I click on the little blue "Quote" at the bottom of the post.
    • The screen scrolls up a few lines.
    • Nothing else happens.

I clicked a few more times, all that happened was the little jump upwards a few lines. Then I just happened to look at the bottom of the page and saw half a dozen quoted copies of the post in the edit window. Surely it isn't supposed to work like this...?  no

I reckon that will be one of the bugs they need to fix pronto.. it's a real PITA no

so is not having an X to close images rather having to use the back button of the browser.. another PITA no

edited July 2015

For quoting, there is a red line at the top and bottom of the quote...at the end of that line is a small arrow...click that and it you can then start typing. Use the top arrow if you want your text above the quote and the bottom line and arrow if you want your post below the quote.

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Ippotamus said:

Well, I give up.  Without my old forum links I am dead in the water.  Literally years of collecting information, settings, tips, tricks, and helpful information now lost in a sea of information.

Really, a heads up before would have been so nice.  I could have spent an hour or two copying and pasting the essentials into somekind of text format.

Just ... ...

yeah..... frown 

I just found out that if you replace the 'viewthread' with 'discussion' in the URL of your bookmarks, they will then work.

Now to just get all the bookmarks into a text format...and then edit them, THEN probably save as an html document to make it easy to click them...

*****To the PTB*****

SPELLCHECK !!!!

Like yesterday??

And how does one TURN OFF 'automatic draft saving'?

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    DAZ_Jon said:
    jakiblue said:

Is there a way to change the skins? The blue text on the dark background is kinda harsh on the eyes, and I much preferred the lighter colours of the old forum. Also, you used to be able to link directly to a particular post by clicking the # number on it.....can we not do that anymore? For instance, if you wanted to link to a particular comment in a HUGE thread, that showed how to do something, it was easy....now I can't figure out how to do it, and linking ot hte thread itself and saying "the solution to your problem is probably on page 45 of that thread that is 60 pages long" is going to be not helpful. 

The forum inherits the coloring / style of the store. So if you're viewing the store through the dark theme, the forums will have a similar dark theme (might need some tweaking on our end for some parts where it doesn't line up quiet right). If you switch to light theme, you'll see it with the light theme. 

Ah. Well I prefer the dark theme in the store as it showcases the images a bit better....but I dislike the dark theme in forums where it's predominantly writing/text.  

Is there any way to set a layout, style, skin (whatever you want to call it) that doesn't waste so much space? (See attached screencap) It may be good on a phone, but . . .

- Greg

Just because Windows 8 thinks everyone is on a tablet/touchscree/phone...doesn't mean that everyone really is.  And the 'look' really does suck on a desktop/monitor combo...wasted space is just being 'nice'.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551
    edited July 2015

I find the forums harder to read now. The threads and text look cluttered and visually it is harder to see the difference between one post and the one before.

I also am having trouble with the image attachement. Pics are so tiny when attached as files. I prefered being able to see an image without clicking on it. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Post edited by Serene Night on
    kyoto kid said:

..so how do you get to your account settings.  Both my sig and  banner are gone.

Wondering the same thing

Gear icon upper right > <you> gear icon >Edit Profile > Signature settings

Ok well this is interesting. 

Everytime I click on the link in the ebot I have received for when someone replies to this thread, it has my quoted comment OPEN at the bottom. 

This reply for example, I couldn't click on leave a comment or whatever the thing is....it had my existing comment where I quoted DAZ_John and I had to delete all the text in this to be able to write a new reply. 

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

...snip...

I also am having trouble with the image attachement. Pics are so tiny when attached as files. I prefered being able to see an image without clicking on it. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

If you put a copy online somewhere and link to it within the body of the post instead of adding as an attachment then it shows up full size and (for me at least) it works with a link to images in my DAZ3D gallery.   Not a perfect solution but it works if you have somewhere else to post it and link to.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551

yeah, I figured, but, diminished functionality is disappointing.

mjc1016 said:
    Ippotamus said:

Well, I give up.  Without my old forum links I am dead in the water.  Literally years of collecting information, settings, tips, tricks, and helpful information now lost in a sea of information.

Really, a heads up before would have been so nice.  I could have spent an hour or two copying and pasting the essentials into somekind of text format.

Just ... ...

yeah..... frown 

I just found out that if you replace the 'viewthread' with 'discussion' in the URL of your bookmarks, they will then work.

Now to just get all the bookmarks into a text format...and then edit them, THEN probably save as an html document to make it easy to click them...

*****To the PTB*****

SPELLCHECK !!!!

Like yesterday??

And how does one TURN OFF 'automatic draft saving'?

There is a spell checker...

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    mjc1016 said:
    Ippotamus said:

Just ... ...

yeah..... frown 

Now to just get all the bookmarks into a text format...and then edit them, THEN probably save as an html document to make it easy to click them..

It will put you in the thread, but I have the exact posts bookmarked.  Replacing 'viewthread' with 'discussion' does not get you to the post.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,017

Why does the forum keep creating drafts? I haven't intentionally created any draft or message prior to this one, but my account keeps getting filled with drafts every time I visit a thread it seems like. How can I stop that from happening, please?

barbult said:

Why does the forum keep creating drafts? I haven't intentionally created any draft or message prior to this one, but my account keeps getting filled with drafts every time I visit a thread it seems like. How can I stop that from happening, please?

I believe it creates one when you type something and then leave and decide not to post it (or at least that is when it did it on me LOL Also, it saves a draft of every message as you type in general but once you post that message it seems to delete that draft. If you dont post it though, then it keeps the draft.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Argh! Showstopper bug!

I just discovered where all my notification e-mails are going in my inbox — and it's sending one for every single reply. There's no (or at least no obvious) "send once then wait until I revisit the thread" function, like we had up until yesterday.

Can we have this fixed, preferably before my inbox gets snowed under with spammed forum notifications?

nonono

I just got NINE more! Argh!!!1!one1!

• DAZ_JonDAZ_Jon Posts: 582
    Ippotamus said:

Just ... ...

Good news on the old threads... we think we might have a quick and easy trick to do broad based redirects for all the old threads URLs to the new system threads.  We're going to be playing with this tomorrow and the next day to see if we can get the theory we have to work without it killing performance like the previous method would have. I'll keep the mods posted, or if you miss a post on it later, it may just start to magically work and word will get around.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139

I think an improvement to the email notifications that I am NOW getting is a cumulative notification... I'm getting one for every post to a thread.  If say Jacki posts and I've not clicked the notification yet then all the other subsequent notifications should not be emailed to me until I click on the bots notification.. I hope they are able to fix that... my email box will be overwhelmed, as will I until this is resolved.  I stopped the popups, they were annoying! 

Anne, you have my sympathies, this is allot of work for you.  Patience is a virtue, I wish I had that virtue!  lmao XO HUGS heart

• IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,474

I had a feeling, when I saw it was under maintenance

At first, I was like IDK... but they kind of grow on you quickly. And they match the store nicely

Agreed! Gmail put all my forum replies in a "discussion" - so that they were all in one email. Now, my email inbox just exploded with single emails for every single reply...including all the ones in ONE thread.  

Argh! Showstopper bug!

I just discovered where all my notification e-mails are going in my inbox — and it's sending one for every single reply. There's no (or at least no obvious) "send once then wait until I revisit the thread" function, like we had up until yesterday.

Can we have this fixed, preferably before my inbox gets snowed under with spammed forum notifications?

nonono

• DAZ_JonDAZ_Jon Posts: 582
    mjc1016 said:
    Ippotamus said:

Just ... ...

yeah..... frown 

Yeah, it looks like the ids between threads are actually the same and uses similar URL structure. We didn't notice this before, so it looks like we'll have a fix for the URL redirects and all the old bookmarks you guys had here pretty soon (as in this week). 

edited July 2015

To the best of my knowledge, I haven't typed anything in the Leave a Comment box, and yet I get these drafts created. I will keep and eye in it and see if somehow I am typing when i am unaware of it. ???? Thanks for the reply.

barbult said:

I believe it creates one when you type something and then leave and decide not to post it (or at least that is when it did it on me LOL Also, it saves a draft of every message as you type in general but once you post that message it seems to delete that draft. If you dont post it though, then it keeps the draft.

Post edited by barbult on

ok so that must have been what happened to me. I quoted DAZ John a while back, and when I came back to the thread, the draft was still there and I had to delete it all to actually be able to post something different.  

barbult said:

To the best of my knowledge, I haven't typed anything in the Leave a Comment box, and yet I get these drafts created. i will keep and eye in it and see if somehow I am typing when i am unaware of it. ???? Thanks for the reply.

barbult said:

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    DAZ_Jon said:
    Ippotamus said:

Just ... ...

Good news on the old threads... we think we might have a quick and easy trick to do broad based redirects for all the old threads URLs to the new system threads.  We're going to be playing with this tomorrow and the next day to see if we can get the theory we have to work without it killing performance like the previous method would have. I'll keep the mods posted, or if you miss a post on it later, it may just start to magically work and word will get around.

Thanks Jon, I really do appreciate the update.

Don't worry, I'll keep my eyes wide open for that one.

I hope it works out.

Good luck!

DAZ_Jon said:

Yeah, it looks like the ids between threads are actually the same and uses similar URL structure. We didn't notice this before, so it looks like we'll have a fix for the URL redirects and all the old bookmarks you guys had here pretty soon (as in this week). 

Great to hear! smiley

Argh! Showstopper bug!

nonono

Yes,  it is unmanageable to get an email EVERY TIME someone replies to a bookmarked thread. I sure hope we can get this changed to behave as before, with one message until I revisit the forum.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,628
    Ippotamus said:
    DAZ_Jon said:
    Ippotamus said:

Just ... ...

Thanks Jon, I really do appreciate the update.

Don't worry, I'll keep my eyes wide open for that one.

I hope it works out.

Good luck!

Oh thank goodness. I hope it works. 

• erostewerostew Posts: 214

Yes very annoying. I found 20 emails in my inbox after only 30 minutes so I turned email notifications off for now. On the plus side you can click on the cogwheel icon at top right and then "My Bookmarks" or "Notifications". It also shows a number next to them which is nice. I definitely do prefer the old single notification though.

RAMWolff said:

I think an improvement to the email notifications that I am NOW getting is a cumulative notification... I'm getting one for every post to a thread.  If say Jacki posts and I've not clicked the notification yet then all the other subsequent notifications should not be emailed to me until I click on the bots notification.. I hope they are able to fix that... my email box will be overwhelmed, as will I until this is resolved.  I stopped the popups, they were annoying! 

Anne, you have my sympathies, this is allot of work for you.  Patience is a virtue, I wish I had that virtue!  lmao XO HUGS heart

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501

...no banners?  It let me load one to my sig but it doesn't show up.