GENESIS 3

Comments

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775
    edited June 2015

I must have screwed up exporting, either that or you re-rigged the thing. All I got via Collada export was a G3 "skin" that poses but has no morphs available. If I go to the setup room in Poser they're there but stuck in the head, which seems to be the only body part, and I still can't access them in any case.

Of course I don't know what I'm doing with Collada, never used it before 'cuz I never had PoserPro before. And I've only ever exported obj and cr2 files from Studio, so I barely know what I'm doing there either.

Post edited by Byrdie on
  • TRRazorTRRazor Posts: 20
    edited June 2015

Exporting her in Collada will give you the standard-res G3 / V7.
    You cannot export her in sub-d however, which in my opinion makes this pretty useless as a lot of her detail only becomes visible at sub-d 2.

And although all of her morphs channels are exported with the figure, you don't have morph-channel-based dials like Bend or Front / Back.
    They're all converted to Rotate X, Rotate Y and Rotate Z, which in most cases wouldn't be present on the original figure to begin with.
    Dialing those will result in some pretty funky looking bending...

Post edited by TRRazor on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,783
    edited December 1969

Since misery loves company, Genesis 3 works even less well in Carrara...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/58029/

edited December 1969

Yikes! And Daz actually owns Carrara, unlike Poser. You'd think that would make a difference. :sigh: Guess not. Which is why I haven't upgraded since it isn't going anywhere. Of course, if it changes ...

• QuietrobQuietrob Posts: 361
    edited December 1969

Byrdie said:
    I must have screwed up exporting, either that or you re-rigged the thing. All I got via Collada export was a G3 "skin" that poses but has no morphs available. If I go to the setup room in Poser they're there but stuck in the head, which seems to be the only body part, and I still can't access them in any case.

Of course I don't know what I'm doing with Collada, never used it before 'cuz I never had PoserPro before. And I've only ever exported obj and cr2 files from Studio, so I barely know what I'm doing there either.

Byrdie, I know even less than you do.

I just came from another Forum and gained this link to Midnight Stories tutorial to use Genesis 3 in Poser via the export method.

My apologies if such links aren't permitted but since we are refererncing a DAZ Product and how to use it and it's posted on a reputatable site, I think it's okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNHx4DqAFeA

edited December 1969

Thanks, I'll check it out later. From what I hear it gets us at least a Genesis 2.5. :lol: Right now I'm pulling my feathers out trying to find out why G2 in Poser with V4 skins has really dull eyes. Not that the ones she comes in with before I change UVs look any better.

And no, the lighting does not improve matters. Ugh!

Render_2.png
    460 x 457 - 112K
    Render_1.png
    460 x 457 - 104K
    edited December 1969

I use EZSkin shaders on everyone, these days..

edited December 1969

Thought of that. But sometimes I want to use sets like Inked or Attitude on my characters and every time I try it EZSkin wipes away the tattoos or whatever else I've added. :sigh: Results are otherwise gorgeous, though.

edited December 1969

Have discovered that for some weird reason the UV setter -- or maybe it's Poser or the DSON importer doing this, I can't be sure -- is bringing some of the old V5 Bree stuff from the G2 base when it comes to the eyes. I had to go into the material room and clear it out, replace it with the correct V4 maps. Also found some better lights and played with them a bit. It's getting closer to what I want.

New_Render_1.png
    460 x 457 - 118K
  • jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

quietrob said:
    Jorge, nice job! G3 looks better in Poser but it might just be the lighting.

Can you give us a step by step?

Not worth it, step by step, this is painful, and limited to rotate, scale, and tran even in FBX format

Sem_título55.jpg
    1523 x 852 - 159K
    edited December 1969

Here I copied the morphs G3 (PoserCF) to G3 FBX
    Now, with G3 FBX tab of morphs,but they do not respond

G3FBX.jpg
    1671 x 892 - 210K
    edited June 2015

here also a Collada dae, with the copied morphs G3 PoserCF / DSON
    Now they appear in the tab but do not respond

dae.jpg
    1671 x 886 - 207K
    Post edited by jorge dorlando on
  • RedSpec SSSRedSpec SSS Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

They cannot respond because the weight maps to support them aren't present / canot be translated.

• DarkElfDarkElf Posts: 289
    edited June 2015

slaazepag said:
    So the new Genesis 3 doesn't come with the Dson Importer. meaning it can't be used in poser.
    Is there much point shopping at Daz now??

Thinking of canceling my platinum membership, there doesn't seem much point having it now!

Yup. Same here. I have DS 4.8 but it is so ridiculously difficult to learn and use compared to Poser I have not committed to purchasing DS only content and it appears I will not be in the future either.
    My spending here has basically ceased now. I may wait for sales and get some things in my wishlist but after that it may be time to move on from DAZ3D and hope vendors over at Rendo make Genesis 2 products.
    Of course some here may still make some occasionally too. We'll wait and see for a while.

Post edited by DarkElf on
  • DS difficult to learn and use? We must live in a different universe.  I gave up on Poser ages ago because I couldn't stand the user interface.  I tried it again a few months ago, and didn't like it any better; every bit as cantakerous as ZBrush and Bryce.  I was so delighted to discover DS because it looked like it had been designed by a software engineer instead of an artist reaching for new frontiers in the abstract. To each his own, I guess, but it wouldn't hurt to give Daz a closer look.  I find the interface relatively intuitive, though there are some ambiguities that I stumble over every now and then.  But then, I'm a software engineer.  What can I say?

Poser's user interface was designed when Poser was owned by MetaCreations,which also owned Bryce and Carrara, and appears to have a lot of  Kai Krause influence.  I use both Studio and Poser and both interfaces are OK; it's just what one is used to.

More on topic, there is some interesting discussion of adapting the Genesis 3 facial rig to Poser in the first few posts here...

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2897071

• efron_24efron_24 Posts: 473

I agree.. I will leave this page too

It is a shame StoneMason stopped creating for Poser...

btw Renderosity is also falling..  they call it progress or revolution.

I call it sad.

• Seaview123Seaview123 Posts: 4
    edited February 2016

Hello everyone, 

I'm a long time Poser user, currently using PPro2014, and decided since it looks like many of the online stores are developing content for G3/V7/M7, that I'd go ahead and buy them. Unfortunately, I didn't read this until I was trying to figure out why V7/M7 don't load into Poser via the DSON Importer for Poser. sad

So, as part of my troubleshooting I used Install Manager to upgrade to the latest D/S (4.9) and DSON. It looks like this was also the wrong thing to do, since it's the encrypted files from this new content protection scheme Daz is using that doesn't allow the figures to export. 

I think I may have wasted a fair amount of money buying figures I thought would be Poser compatible. I'm not even sure why there's a Victoria 7 if it's exactly the same as the Genesis 3 Female with a couple of extra morph dials. 

Since I'm not all that comfortable with using D/S, and most of my runtime content is in my Poser files, I guess I'll have to keep watching  the forums and waiting patiently to see if there's any progress, but I have to say I'm really disappointed in Daz, a company I've been a loyal customer of for almost a decade, for no longer supporting Poser users like us.

Post edited by Seaview123 on

DAZ still has a liberal return policy, so you can get a refund if you've purchased them in the last 30 days.

While Studio has had the DRM support added, , the DSON Importer hasn't changed in about a year.  However, I use the last beta version since the current version of the Importer puts a dent in the left leg of Genesis 2; bug reportred long ago, but never addressed...

edited February 2016

The new Daz Connect/DRM Encryption thing has nothing at all to do with why Genesis 3 figures won't export to Poser. It is simply not compatible with either the DSON Importer or Poser itself. For technical reasons, having to do with weightmapping and features Poser simply doesn't have as of yet. But you should easily be able to use G3F/Vicky 7 in Studio once you get the program and content all set up. 

And if you're still not happy with it, just use the return-within-30-days policy and ask for a refund. smiley

Post edited by Byrdie on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    WandW said:

DAZ still has a liberal return policy, so you can get a refund if you've purchased them in the last 30 days.

While Studio has had the DRM support added, , the DSON Importer hasn't changed in about a year.  However, I use the last beta version since the current version of the Importer puts a dent in the left leg of Genesis 2; bug reportred long ago, but never addressed...

Bug reported February 14, 2015 16:02, last answer from the dev team February 23, 2015 18:47 ...

• ok I have to ask in light of the RDNA merger and apparent recognition of Poser content

are DAZ ever going to make downloadable Poser companion files for Genesis 3, at least the DAZ original ones?

I can do it using Midnight Stories tute using DAZ studio but for Poser users who cannot or do not want to use DAZ studio it would be the most obvious solution, if I can do it DAZ certainly can ...if they want to

if the intention is not to cut of Poser support that is

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

want g3m in carrara. 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    fool said:

ok I have to ask in light of the RDNA merger and apparent recognition of Poser content

are DAZ ever going to make downloadable Poser companion files for Genesis 3, at least the DAZ original ones?

I can do it using Midnight Stories tute using DAZ studio but for Poser users who cannot or do not want to use DAZ studio it would be the most obvious solution, if I can do it DAZ certainly can ...if they want to

if the intention is not to cut of Poser support that is

Poser doesn't support dual quaternion rigging, so they wouldn't pass QA.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,009
    fool said:

Genesis 3 would not work in Poser even with a companion file, Poser lacks the tech needed for that.

• Leana said:
    fool said:

Genesis 3 would not work in Poser even with a companion file, Poser lacks the tech needed for that.

Click to play videos, my go using MStories tute below

fool said:
    Leana said:
    fool said:

Click to play videos, my go using MStories tute below

Is that the tutorial where you convert Genesis 3 to TriAx first? Because that's not exactly what I'd call "Genesis 3 working in Poser" since you're basically modifying it to work like Genesis 2 first...

• Still useable

fool said:

Still useable

Oh, definitely. But that's using Genesis 2 tech in Poser, not Genesis 3 tech.

And I was specifically adressing the point about providing a Poser companion file for G3, which wouldn't be enough to make G3 work in Poser.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited February 2016

Guys I think have to face the facts, that the best you can do is a work around to get genesis 3 into poser, poser only accepts TriAx weight mapping. If smithmicro wanted to go down that path they would have put the new dual quaternion weight mapping in, plus Iray materials are not compatible with poser, so it's even harder to support poser. I think you have to at one stage is ask yourself what's more important to you the software or the content that supports that software, what going to get you to your end goal the best. For some it will be Poser some it will be DAZ Studio, I love them both as software each have different strong points. But from a content point of view it's very different, you also have to look into the future what's going to get you there the best way. For me the best technology wins every time, I'm not saying either way as I'm not going to start a software war that no one wins. If something can't do what you want it to, them you move on to something that will, there's no loyalties in getting a job done, do what ever it takes to get there, but that's me and may not be you.

Post edited by Midnight_stories on